Always Remember Me (VN/Life sim, commercial)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

Re: Always Remember Me (VN/Life sim, commercial)

#181 Post by jack_norton »

Hmm well due to the nature of the game, it's a bit hard to show the non-ending scenes. However regarding the two you mention:
1) hugh and aaron confront each other: it happens only starting from mid-august, and only after you had hugh invite you at the pub and his relationship>60
2) amy & aaron dad: happens only in the last 2 weeks of the game, during the weekend, and only if you got the image with the broken heart saying that you definitely have no chances anymore of getting Aaron back

hope you can see them now with those suggestions 8)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#182 Post by HigurashiKira »

jack_norton wrote:Well I'm an "aesthete" (hope I found the right word lol) so I really cannot force myself to make games with average/sub-par art. For me the art of the game is very important so I always try to find good artists :)
It might help to find good writers as well, because a lot of your games suffer from sub-par writing. This one's no exception: it felt rather lackluster and more of a chore to read than most games out there. Yes, the art is pretty, but you can make junk look pretty even though it's stil junk. Personally, I say you should spend more time looking for decent writer because your stories lack anything that should be expected in the writing of a commercial game. (And please recall these are still categorized under Visual NOVELS)
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#183 Post by jack_norton »

To be honest, while I agree this game writing is not the best, yours is the first comment I ever got complaining for that, so maybe it's not too bad or people don't mind it too much in this specific gender/niche.

A bit OT, but it's not easy to find good writers: most of them disappear after a few weeks / months so I often have to replace them, and so I tend to prefer reliability over quality (aka "getting things done"). If I was a native English speaker I could probably release a quality visual novel a month... :roll:
computer games

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

#184 Post by Crocosquirrel »

jack_norton wrote: A bit OT, but it's not easy to find good writers: most of them disappear after a few weeks / months so I often have to replace them, and so I tend to prefer reliability over quality (aka "getting things done").
Personally, I've never had problems finding or keeping writers. It's artists I have issues with.
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#185 Post by jack_norton »

Maybe I only had bad luck, is true that is only since last year that I started outsourcing writing!
computer games

applegirl
Veteran

#186 Post by applegirl »

I happen to really like the writing in Winter Wolves visual novels. Even the earlier ones where I could tell the writer was not a native English speaker. It had nothing to do with my expectations being lower due to the genre, but because the story line was very compelling. Best example would be Bionic Heart, one of the best OLEVN science fiction visual novels I've ever read. If you look at recent Winter Wolves visual novels (Winter in Fairmount, Loren RPG), the writing is a huge strength and greatly improved. Funny, romantic, interesting...I find it very professionally done. Which is why I always wait eagerly for the next Winter Wolves visual novel and know my money is going to be well spent.

It's nice being able to have such high expectations of each Winter Wolves visual novels, they are one of the very few groups that I know my expectations won't be disappointed. Everything is so professionally done that I end up feeling like I have to get the next visual novel they release :). It'd be easy to say the art is a draw factor, but as a reader I was personally drawn in by the story and writing as well. This one in particular was very enjoyable and to be honest, that's what I really want out of a visual novel.

Either way Jack, thanks. I'm always looking forward to the games/visual novels you publish.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#187 Post by Hijiri »

applegirl wrote:I happen to really like the writing in Winter Wolves visual novels. Even the earlier ones where I could tell the writer was not a native English speaker. It had nothing to do with my expectations being lower due to the genre, but because the story line was very compelling. Best example would be Bionic Heart, one of the best OLEVN science fiction visual novels I've ever read. If you look at recent Winter Wolves visual novels (Winter in Fairmount, Loren RPG), the writing is a huge strength and greatly improved. Funny, romantic, interesting...I find it very professionally done. Which is why I always wait eagerly for the next Winter Wolves visual novel and know my money is going to be well spent.
I'm sorry what part of it was compelling? There is absolutely no character development, one of the key strengths of these kinds of games, and the fact that it feels like events are just going on without you really affecting them (The weak writing was also jakie admitted here as well). And the newer ones aren't as professional as you say, but I'll save my ire of those for another day. Though I just have to ask: Did you enjoy Twilight as well?

Just know that not everyone praises these games as much as you do, and a lot of people particulary dislike them. I've just been the only one to vocalise some of those feelings.

applegirl
Veteran

#188 Post by applegirl »

No, I didn't like Twilight. I couldn't get past the first ten pages of that nonsense. If you want to go into books, I've enjoyed Harry Potter, the Hunger Games, and the Game of Thrones (but that's a bit off topic).

If it really matters that much (although I'd like to think everyone's opinion is valid regardless of tastes...), here are my top visual novels and top OLEVNs:
Best VNs: F/SN, G-Senjou No Maou, Sharin no Kuni, and Saya no Uta (Cross Channel is only on this list if you read the Japanese version because the English version is too awkward.
Best OLEVNs: Digital, Adrift, DTIPB, X-Note, Ori, Ochi, Onoe, and Bionic Heart.

If you have to go into character development:
1. Amy- the main character was painted immediately as weak and admittedly incredibly dependent on her love interest Aaron. But the arc of the story is her essentially deciding what path she wants to take in life. Devotedly following her previously designed path or starting anew, all with the added consequence of betraying a former relationship. By taking that admittedly non-canonical route, I thought Amy became a stronger character in turn. Especially marked by the event where (spoilers), she leaves the hospital and abandons her previous relationship. She becomes stronger and more independent, although it was linked to another relationship.
2. Any of the male characters besides Aaron-No points for originality, but they all clearly follow the same route of 'saving the girl". The development in Hugh was growing up and acting mature, the development in Lawrence was voicing his feelings. Aaron honestly had little development besides remembering his previous relationship, so there I'll grant you the 'lack' of character development.

Now you bring up a nice point about actions affecting story. Well, here's a clear "click on this boy and get his event". Basically very easy-if I want Aaron, I click on Aaron and if I want Hugh, I'd click on him. Yes, the gameplay mechanics is simple. But being simple is not a crime nor a deterrent based on how well it plays. I won't take away points on this because let's be honest, what OLEVN here carries this perfectly well as say...F/SN? This story sells as a simple romantic visual novel and delivers imo.

I like to praise Winter Wolves simply because I honestly don't read a lot of good OLEVNs. I've read a lot and a lot were terrible. So terrible that I felt bad for having any expectations of them and even though I've listed them as "finished" on vndb, I can't bring myself to rate them. I know any fair and honest rating I'd give would be lower than a 5.... So I have different expectations when it comes to OLEVNs, which I'll freely admit. I'll be happy to read any visual novel that has good writing, but having to wade through seas of terrible ones is making me grateful for the enjoyable ones that exist.

But yeah, everyone has a difference of opinions. Personally, I'd love it if you'd (Hijiri) make a visual novel that was as good as say...Adrift. But I realize having expectations like this would ruin it for a lot of OLEVNs because clearly they won't measure up.

EDIT: In terms of budget or experience. In order to clear any misunderstanding, I don't think all OLEVN have a budget and I don't expect that. It's too much to expect people to slave 9 months over a visual novel when quite a few are being made in a day. The VNs I disliked were made far in the past, which is a bit why I haven't read a lot of recent visual novels here. But the ones I've read here were amazing, quite a few vastly exceeded any expectations I could have. It's ridiculously amazing how talented the OLEVNs community is becoming, but all forms of media had a past with less than great work. When I look at the recent collection, I see such great improvements in leaps and bounds. Amazing work and I don't want any confusion in terms of that. It's only in terms of the budget or experience, which is quickly changing.

tl;dr: Who cares?

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#189 Post by jack_norton »

Thanks to applegirl :) people like you really motivate me to keep going being indie more than money!

About this:
Hijiri wrote: Just know that not everyone praises these games as much as you do, and a lot of people particulary dislike them. I've just been the only one to vocalise some of those feelings.
Yes, I'm sure of this. But usually, people don't go in a game thread posting "this sucks" just to let the developer know :lol: I mean if I don't like a game (even AAA commercial ones) I don't go there posting that I don't like it, but there's nothing wrong about that. Anyway no problems, and I am aware of your concerns about the writing quality and I'm trying to improve them in future games - if you check the writing of the two mentioned by applegirl, I'm sure you can't say the writing is sub-par!

I also believe the main target market of this game is teenager girls, who maybe find the story and character development good. Sigh, is hard for me to explain in English, but in practice, I think mentioning Twilight you made a good example.

Also I wanted to ask: you normally play otome games? what other games you found they had good writing? Maybe is also because is not a genre you like? I am proud of all my games, but if I had to play them myself, I would have no doubt and I would choose Bionic Heart or the upcoming Loren RPG because as player I really don't like otome dating sim :mrgreen:
computer games

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#190 Post by Hijiri »

jack_norton wrote:Anyway no problems, and I am aware of your concerns about the writing quality and I'm trying to improve them in future games - if you check the writing of the two mentioned by applegirl, I'm sure you can't say the writing is sub-par!
Hijiri wrote:...because a lot of your games suffer from sub-par writing.
I've bought and played all the games you have to offer, and none of them get beyond sub-par. So I have a valid opinion here.
jack_norton wrote:I also believe the main target market of this game is teenager girls, who maybe find the story and character development good. Sigh, is hard for me to explain in English, but in practice, I think mentioning Twilight you made a good example.
So you're saying that the bad writing is excusable because the people who play these sort of games only care about whether they date a pretty character? Well that's rather...blunt.
jack_norton wrote:Also I wanted to ask: you normally play otome games? what other games you found they had good writing? Maybe is also because is not a genre you like? I am proud of all my games, but if I had to play them myself, I would have no doubt and I would choose Bionic Heart or the upcoming Loren RPG because as player I really don't like otome dating sim :mrgreen:
I normally don't care for them And are a bit frustrated that it's all that seems to be made here But when I read something, I don't care whether I can date X,Y, or Z, but how it all comes together. Generic dating sims are nothing more than "date this person or be forever alone" but it dosen't mean that they can't have good, compelling stories.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#191 Post by jack_norton »

Did you play Spirited Heart girl's love? I don't think that's writing is sub par. What about Winter/Summer In Fairbrook ? Did you check the demo of Loren RPG? those are the games who were written by a native English speaker, and I got numerous feedback by people saying that the writing is excellent.
Hijiri wrote:So you're saying that the bad writing is excusable because the people who play these sort of games only care about whether they date a pretty character? Well that's rather...blunt.
No I didn't say that, I only think that they care more about the story/characters and events, and not much about the writing. What critics say and games success are two completely different and unrelated things.
Sometimes people just want a simple, light comedy setting. I am amused by Heileen3 writing, it's rather poor of quality (the writer isn't even a native English speaker) yet I'm sure it will be a success because it's really fun to read. Similarly, sometimes I sit in front of the TV and watch some really plain-plot-boring action movies just for the "eye candy" and to relax my brain :)

Lastly, if you're a good writer and you think can do a better job and are interested in writing for me, please contact me, since have some projects on hold because previous writers gave up :oops:
computer games

freestyle19

#192 Post by freestyle19 »

hello anyone...hei can i ask? is there a crack for LOREN THE AMAZON PRINCESS??
please! if there is could anyone show me or just send me the link for download (cant afford to purchase) plz do help me guys.... really wana play it...

[ Banned. - PyTom ]

nancie
Regular

#193 Post by nancie »

freestyle19 wrote:hello anyone...hei can i ask? is there a crack for LOREN THE AMAZON PRINCESS??
please! if there is could anyone show me or just send me the link for download (cant afford to purchase) plz do help me guys.... really wana play it...
All I can say is wow it really takes a special kind of person to go to the game owner's post and ask for an illegal crack to a game that they make their living from!
That being said in response the the earlier discussion about this game and it's writing quality, I bought it for my teen daughters who both loved it and played it through to get all the endings, yes teenagers want to date pretty boys, the story is fun and not something a parent has to worry about their child playing and being exposed to the dark things in life. I also played both flower shop games myself and thought the writing to be more than adequate for the type of game I really enjoyed playing them and was happy to let my kids play them as well. The three games in question my not have been deep or dark, or had complex characters but they we light and fun and exactly what I expected from this type of game. So please keep up the good work I look forward to seeing your next one.

RainbowMusicAddict
Regular

#194 Post by RainbowMusicAddict »

I wanted to download the demo, to see if I'll enjoy the game.
I don't know if it's my computer that's corrupting the demo,
and I don't see anyone else having this problem.
I've never had this problem with any VN until now.
The buttons aren't loaded properly.
They only show at the edges,
making it hard to see the text during game play.
It's also doing it on the left side of the game,
showing where there moral, energy, and all of those things and they are cut off the same way.
Well if none of what I'm saying is making sense,
here's a picture:

http://i46.tinypic.com/1o5e9k.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's obvious to see what problem I'm having,
and seeing a lot of screenshots of the game I know this isn't supposed to happen.
(and I apologize for my terrible grammar skills. It was my weak point all throughout school, and never really got better.)
HOWEVER it only does this for buttons and that side menu like thing.
It doesn't do that for the general talking and where the words normally are.
“Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings.” -Salvador Dali

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#195 Post by jack_norton »

Press shift+G while in game, and choose "directX renderer" (perhaps you'll need to update/install DX9) and the problem will disappear! :)
computer games