Anton's Vacation {Episode One}

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

Re: Anton's Vacation {Episode One}

#31 Post by KomiTsuku »

applegirl wrote:Hmm...the sprites look very different from episode 1. By the way, are the CGs being done by the same artist? I played the first one and really liked the art.... I ask because I noticed the first episode had CGs from more than one artist (which was very evident in style,
like the CG of Yoi and Anton hugging).
I understand how hard it is get get CG art, but having such different style in a VN is a bit distracting. Gosh, these sprites are very different in style! Are they supposed to look older or would that be a spoiler?
Finding artists has never been a problem. In the last three months, I've had 11 sprite artists, 5 background artists, and 4 CG artists. If you've seen my website, you know there are a lot of projects. The issue right now is I need to divert my funds to something else, so I'm holding back on funding for a couple months until this real life issue is dealt with. As for returning artists, Auro-Cyanide (Name's CG artist) returned to the sprites and Tetiel (who did a couple of Syl's and Yoi/Name fight scene) is returning to do a large piece of the CGs. The artist who did Yoi's CGs might return, but there hasn't been any word. The change in art style isn't a spoiler, it is a tactical decision on my part. The number of game makers using those sprites grows larger by the second (Sentou Gakuen for example). Not to mention that I was restricted by the actual uniform they were wearing. The characters are actually older than the original images (the youngest being Yoi at 19, oldest being Syl at 28 or Sora at 31). It's me trying to get the series in line with the rest of the running plot I've been writing for the last decade. The original episode is also being redone with the new sprites.
Was this kind of inspired by James Bond? I always had the feeling that Anton was the kind of suave agent who got the girl he wanted in the end. Although, who was the Chief inspired by then? Overall, it was an interesting start. But I'd like to see an Anton who wasn't the perfect agent type. I mean, what kind of story has suspense when you know the agent is seriously the Mary-Sue/best at everything kind of person? The flaws and humanity of each character would help greatly. I guess it all depends on what you plan though, will this be a gritty space drama or romantic comedy? If it is a romantic comedy, I guess we can look forward to cute/sweet moments in a relationship (as well as the bad, like jealousy)?
Anton wasn't inspired by James Bond. He isn't a good shot, can't fly a spaceship, and really can't deliver the one-liners. If anything, he is a socially defunct Sherlock Holmes. Chief... well, Chief is inspired by the IDHAS Chief Editor. I'm really surprised you see Anton as a Mary-Sue perfect agent. Syl, maybe, she's often walked that line before. If anything, Anton is the weakest link this whole team (a sharpshooter, an assassin, and an actual genius). The team has been together for three years, so existing relationships already are there (which is something I'm regretting. I should have converted Katajion's Dream and Luck and Chance to visual novels before releasing this one). The theme really is a romantic comedy, but there are pretty even traits of drama in it as well.
I have to admit, I think this series is very niche in terms of the forum/VN community. The otome games are easily the most popular and I bet that makes it very difficult to find artists who want to work on a game more geared for guys (I dunno if that is the intention, but it is a sci-fi game with the main character surrounded by women). I remember playing the first episode and feeling very impressed by the art. Story-wise, it felt like a huge prologue which makes sense in terms of the story needing to explain a lot of details (like who Anton was and why we should care).

Ramblings, sorry. I guess I wanted to answer a few things I've noticed popping up on your deviant art and twitter. You definitely pour your heart and soul into the VN. I can tell man, I played the original Dream of Skies, this, and the remade version. I can tell you pour blood, sweat, and tears into publishing these. I've played a heck of a lot VN (OELVN and japanese). When thinking about yours, I figured out that I needed to have some kind of hook to pull me in. The art quality is very necessary and I'd say you've definitely improved in getting the necessary art quality to get attention. The interface can be excused at times because let's be honest, most VN have the simple choice-consequence pathway. But storywise, I guess we all are looking for that pull, that reason to pick this VN up to read over all the VNs that get published each day/week/year. That's what makes it so hard to get attention and recognition, especially if your tastes go against the majority.

So I guess the real thing to figure out is: what is that hook? I've read so many VN that I only remember/care about the very best ones. The ones that told a story so dramatic/comedic/romantic/charming that I kept coming back for more. I honestly think a game on this forum (to succeed) would tend to be the romantic/comedy with brilliant art and a girl lead. I haven't seen the reverse for a long time and I can understand if you don't want to go that route. But I must say, I fear the fate of Vera Blanc (a Winter Wolves game) or Other Age Second Encounters (a very under-appreciated Zeiva Inc game) that had good art and story, but remained very, very unpopular because it went against the mainstream taste. Is it enough to publish stories you care about if you feel like the very small minority appreciates it? Or is it worth trying a new direction?

I do feel like the stories are not being marketed to the right crowd. This forum's most popular games are games geared towards girls. Why not also put this on newgrounds? Guys definitely frequent that area and would probably care a lot more about a sci-fi VN with pretty girls around the main protag.
Because I'm a remnant of the old days of this forum, when things weren't GxB. I also believe that while otome will keep some of the ground it has taken, there will always be a shift. It's the way of public opinion. I, most unfortunately, did not have time on my side. While I must expand my audience, which is something I am in the process of doing, I stay with Lemmasoft because it's the home turf. I guess what I'm really trying to say is that I am prepared to hold out and fight against the current mainstream. While I traditionally write from a female perspective, I do enjoy making games from a variety of perspectives. A good story doesn't depend purely on who the main character is and who he/she is trying to get into bed with. I hope that the next episode, where we finally start getting into the actual plot (as I wrote the first episode with almost no idea of what the plot was going to be) that the hook will be better formed and be enjoyable by all genders. While romance is a very strong theme in the series, it isn't the only one.

The hook is something I do need to polish up a bit more. I think I've been trying to fish up an unspecified audience, which is just going to end up with me going home empty. Thank you for giving me something to think about.

I will never post on Newgrounds. I'm not a flash maker.

Astrane

#32 Post by Astrane »

Played and liked it. It has a rather unique plot, and Anton's laid-back ( or more like letargic ), matter-of-factly view makes it very light hearted ; almost like a breeze among all the fairly similar VN's out there. The humour too was good enough to get to me.
If you're open to a suggestion, from my point of view, I'd stick to comedy (and considering the situation, maybe we can expect some action too) and the chief ( fun how much he exasperates Anton). Personaly got tired of all the dramas out there, that keep forcing you to sympathize with annoying chars. So if I'm not too selfish, I plead for giving the chief a chance, even if its just a very short appearance, besides, only Anton knows who he rly is so youve got a lot of freedom.

Either way, great job, looking forward to the next
Last edited by Astrane on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope

#33 Post by KomiTsuku »

Astrane wrote:Played and liked it. It has a rather unique plot, and Anton's laid-back, matter-of-factly view makes it very light hearted ; almost like a breeze among all the fairly similar VN's out there. The humour too was good enough to get to me.
If you're open to a suggestion, from my point of view, I'd stick to comedy (and considering the situation, maybe we can expect some action too) and the chief ( fun how much he exasperates Anton). Personaly got tired of all the dramas out there, that keep forcing you to sympathize with annoying chars. So if I'm not too selfish, I plead for giving the chief a chance, even if its just a very short appearance, besides, only Anton knows who he rly is so youve got a lot of freedom.

Either way, great job, looking forward to the next
Thank you very much. I've almost wrapped up writing the script, longer than the previous episode by far. There is an increase in some of the drama, as we are moving forward with the plot, but the humor is keeping pace with it. Chief, fortunate or unfortunately, is making a return in the next episode. There's still more chaos and confusion for him to reap.

Miau

#34 Post by Miau »

Not sure to laugh or cry at the thought that having a male lead with female targets would be a negative. In a short period of time each of the girls is given her own chance to shine and I do not get the feel Anton only is looking for sexual conquests. Quite the opposite I'd argue.

I certainly enjoyed my time with the piece. I've done my own writing where a great deal of backstory is existent but unwritten, so it is a method I was able to follow without trouble. Almost any character will have a life before we get to 'meet' them; Anton's is just a bit more complex than most.

Looking forward to ep 2 whenever that is ready.

Miss-Mae
Regular
Projects: Waiting on Love
Organization: Kinki Skiddles Productions

#35 Post by Miss-Mae »

I finally had a chance to play through this, and I was extremely impressed by it! The characters are all very well written, and you did a great job fleshing them out and giving them unique personalities. The artwork was also very nice, and I think the story was well done. I'm already really looking forward to playing through the next one!

P.S: I apologize I haven't finished your PC, but life got a bit crazy. Now that I've played through the game, I intend to finish it soon - and I'll throw in some fan-art, since I took so long in getting your art done. ;) <3
Come visit me, if you like, at: http://www.miss-mae.deviantart.com / http://www.kinki-skiddles-games.deviantart.com <3 or on my NEW game making blog, which you can find here: http://kinki-skiddles.tumblr.com/ <3

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#36 Post by KomiTsuku »

Miau wrote:Not sure to laugh or cry at the thought that having a male lead with female targets would be a negative. In a short period of time each of the girls is given her own chance to shine and I do not get the feel Anton only is looking for sexual conquests. Quite the opposite I'd argue.

I certainly enjoyed my time with the piece. I've done my own writing where a great deal of backstory is existent but unwritten, so it is a method I was able to follow without trouble. Almost any character will have a life before we get to 'meet' them; Anton's is just a bit more complex than most.

Looking forward to ep 2 whenever that is ready.
That's because Anton really ISN'T looking for sexual conquests. His focus has always been on not dying and friendship, which evolved over time to love... with the exception of Yoi. That one kinda accelerated quickly in Katajion's Dream and stayed that way until the crash in Morterous Theorem. Speaking of which, I really need to sit down and finish editing KD. I started that at the start of the year and kind of... got sidetracked.
Miss-Mae wrote:I finally had a chance to play through this, and I was extremely impressed by it! The characters are all very well written, and you did a great job fleshing them out and giving them unique personalities. The artwork was also very nice, and I think the story was well done. I'm already really looking forward to playing through the next one!

P.S: I apologize I haven't finished your PC, but life got a bit crazy. Now that I've played through the game, I intend to finish it soon - and I'll throw in some fan-art, since I took so long in getting your art done. ;) <3
Thank you very much. ^_^ I've been writing these characters for so long that they've pretty much taken on a life of their own.

I completely forgot about it since I didn't write it down in my commission log. >.<; Thank you for reminding me.

Edit: I might post this as a separate topic in the recruitment thread, but would anyone be willing to read me a few lines for each of the main characters? I really want to try and tie an actual voice to the characters. Sadly, my imagination only goes so far.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#37 Post by KomiTsuku »

Super Special Awesome Surprise Update! While the "actual" next episode is still slated for sometime in the distant future, the kind and caring Chief has decided to release a filler episode until that happens! That's right, we are already using filler and we are only on episode two! On Christmas Eve, we will be releasing "Anton's Vacation: Episode Two: A Náme Christmas Carol". It's looking to be only about 8k words and due to some constrains and other factors, we will be using the old sprites. Better than nothing, right? RIGHT?! I hope everyone is as excited as I am, as this is the last release from IDHAS until next year! A very special thanks to Tetiel, who is returning as the CG artist.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#38 Post by PyTom »

Looking forward to it.

Is it fair to assume that this gets away from the plot aspects, and focuses more on the fourth-wall-breaking side of the series? I kind of want to know what to expect, tone wise, going in to the story.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#39 Post by KomiTsuku »

PyTom wrote:Looking forward to it.

Is it fair to assume that this gets away from the plot aspects, and focuses more on the fourth-wall-breaking side of the series? I kind of want to know what to expect, tone wise, going in to the story.
Actually, I pull every dirty trick in the writer's handbook to put this between the first and "second" episodes. It doesn't do a whole lot to advance the plot forward, but it does stay true to it and keeps away from the forth-wall breaking aspects... mostly. It's more of a KDF take on the classic "A Christmas Carol". Somewhat light and humorous (it wouldn't be me if there wasn't SOME humor), but more dramatic than I'm used to.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#40 Post by KomiTsuku »

Release date of the episode remake (fixing a lot of the issues that came up as well as the art changes) is going to be 31 December 2012. I haven't forgotten about this. I go to sleep thinking of what should have been done. I'm merging Anima with this. It should be a fun and exciting project once more. The story's focus is going to be moving away from the "stop the terrorist" theme to a "stop the evil device consuming the world" theme. I also am hard at work with the non-world saving scenes. Getting Syl up to her badarse levels on and off duty has been one of the most worthwhile challenges I've faced since making Sol likable in Rising Angels.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#41 Post by KomiTsuku »

The_J
Completed: Just a mod for another game

#42 Post by The_J »

So, just finished Episode 1, and registered to give some feedback.

I liked it overall, and after reading the thread, I also was NOT annoyed by the chief editor. Just took some time to understand that the narrator appeared, that was a bit puzzling at first.
The graphics are nice, and I like the girls.
Got the endings 1 and 4 myself, and ended 2 attempts with 7. Needed the walktrhough to get to 2 and 5, but will not attempt to see 3 and 6, because I assume these are the shorter versions for 2 of the girls.

Have not yet played Episode 2, but just downloaded it. Hope you can get this finished at some point :).

Gripes:
- In some scenes, the music is over too fast. Can it not be set to repeat after the track is over?
- The ending #7 vanishes too fast, I can't read the whole text. Would be good if the time could be extended a bit :).

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#43 Post by KomiTsuku »

The_J wrote:So, just finished Episode 1, and registered to give some feedback.

I liked it overall, and after reading the thread, I also was NOT annoyed by the chief editor. Just took some time to understand that the narrator appeared, that was a bit puzzling at first.
The graphics are nice, and I like the girls.
Got the endings 1 and 4 myself, and ended 2 attempts with 7. Needed the walktrhough to get to 2 and 5, but will not attempt to see 3 and 6, because I assume these are the shorter versions for 2 of the girls.

Have not yet played Episode 2, but just downloaded it. Hope you can get this finished at some point :).

Gripes:
- In some scenes, the music is over too fast. Can it not be set to repeat after the track is over?
- The ending #7 vanishes too fast, I can't read the whole text. Would be good if the time could be extended a bit :).
-I'm always curious about it, so who is your favorite character?

-3 ("What could have been...") is the short version of Yoi's, but 6 ("Change.") is Syl's long ending.

-The series is getting a reboot right now, nicknamed "Whispered Voyages". There were some problems with the first one (namely I didn't have a plot in mind) that are being polished up and shined in WV.

-I'm not sure about the music. Better/smoother transitions is something I will work on.
-The text to ending #7 was never meant to be read. XD

The_J
Completed: Just a mod for another game

#44 Post by The_J »

KomiTsuku wrote: -I'm always curious about it, so who is your favorite character?
Can't really say that.
All 3 girls have likable parts and not so nice parts (and are also distinct -> nice).
Ingame-wise...I went first for Syl, but in RL I'd probably strangle somebody, who's so short with words, after some time, and would more likely go for Yoi.
Might also need more time to figure them really out.
KomiTsuku wrote: -3 ("What could have been...") is the short version of Yoi's, but 6 ("Change.") is Syl's long ending.
I went with the walkthrough, so I thought I should've gotten the longer version...might have to try again.
KomiTsuku wrote: -The series is getting a reboot right now, nicknamed "Whispered Voyages". There were some problems with the first one (namely I didn't have a plot in mind) that are being polished up and shined in WV.
Oh, oh, oh, good to know :).
Have not yet had the time to read through the other thread, but will definitely do so at the weekend, because just after the first glance at the different characters it looks very good.
KomiTsuku wrote: -I'm not sure about the music. Better/smoother transitions is something I will work on.
Not really a problem of the transitions, because no new music starts thereafter.
KomiTsuku wrote: -The text to ending #7 was never meant to be read. XD
:evil:

;)

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#45 Post by KomiTsuku »

The_J wrote: Can't really say that.
All 3 girls have likable parts and not so nice parts (and are also distinct -> nice).
Ingame-wise...I went first for Syl, but in RL I'd probably strangle somebody, who's so short with words, after some time, and would more likely go for Yoi.
Might also need more time to figure them really out.
Syl speaks a lot more with actions than words, which is something harder to translate into images. Yoi just speaks. A lot. All the time. But at the same time, her true meanings are a lot harder to discern because she knows how to distract. They are interesting opposites. ^_^

Name just tells you what she thinks, if you like it or not. XD
I went with the walkthrough, so I thought I should've gotten the longer version...might have to try again.
If you got the CG, you got the extended route.
Not really a problem of the transitions, because no new music starts thereafter.
I was thinking that if there was a better flow from end to start, it might seem a little more seamless. As for just stopping it, I'm not really sure. I'll look into it.