Secretary Of Death

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#16 Post by mikey »

Hmmm, the music, I explained about that, it was a design thing :? And, it shouldn't hurt the atmosphere if you put on your favorite songs...

I had a scenario with a female death in mind for quite a long time, it's not really anything new, and truth be told I first found it in games in Figures Of Happiness - which I haven't played yet - but yes, it was very recently in RedShift, although I dare say that was a different kind of work. That conversation you pointed out... it's just the usual ATP kind of looking at characters. I need to have my stereotypes as well ^_^

Well, thanks for all the comments again!

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#17 Post by monele »

Shinigami-chan, yay :D

About music : I also felt the lack of it. I was only saved by a few slow tunes found on my hard disk. Not everyone will have the right tunes for this kind of ambiance, sadly :/. But eh, as much as I like complaining about it, I still realize it was a choice and because of lack of time, so it can't be helped ^^;

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#18 Post by F.I.A »

I have to say I like your idea of a Death, Mikey. In how it will react and such.
Though I will think it is rather a good idea to show the players how one is marked. Maybe a scene where Hiroaki witnessed one is marked by Aleksandra and such
And thus...
Hiroaki is henceforth an immortal. For he will never be marked for all eternity. :P

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#19 Post by lordcloudx »

shinigami...shinigami, this reminds me more of bleach without the battles actually
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#20 Post by monele »

lordcloudx wrote:shinigami...shinigami, this reminds me more of bleach without the battles actually
I think it means Death God or God of Death. At least that's how it's usually translated. It's used in Bleach, Yami no Matsuei (I think), Death Note and, as said, Figures of Happiness :). Very common term.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#21 Post by lordcloudx »

I meant Secretary of Death reminded me of Bleach without the battle scenes.

Shinigami... yep, I think they're called that in YAOI no Matsuei :P too. AXN translated it as deaths. Also used in full moon wo sagashite
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#22 Post by PyTom »

I would be remiss if I didn't point out a shinigami-featuring series from last season: Shinigami no Ballad/Momo the Girl God of Death. It was another example of a fairly laid back death and her sidekick...

When I was beta-testing SoD, I had the opening to SnB playing on a loop. It's an English-language track that features lines like "I can't touch you... But I can... kill you." I dunno, seemed appropriate. It was a good series, if perhaps short at 6 episodes.

This version of SoD had a different ending then the one I played, which felt more like a Shaggy Dog type story with a dark side. Unfortunately, mikey wouldn't let me include a playable version of the original script as an easter egg...
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#23 Post by monele »

Unfortunately, mikey wouldn't let me include a playable version of the original script as an easter egg...
Do I read something more than what's written here? ô_o.... (does this seem like a question no one except me can answer? :P)

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#24 Post by Alessio »

Was wondering about the same thing ^_^

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#25 Post by mikey »

Well, to say it clearly, this story has nothing to do with anything shinigami-ish - at least I didn't (and still don't) really know what those are and what rules there are to them, but again, personified death is a common thing, so if you have a name for it, it's all the better. All the rules of the story and how death comes about are really just made up, so in case you're seeing more or so, it's not really there.

It's not that I want to put down what I've written. PyTom is right, there was a version of this story that was final and in a certain style - but then I re-wrote a few parts in the beginning and almost completely the last part and as a result, the whole feel of the story changed. And, I decided to use the one that you have now.

Now of course that doesn't mean I think the one version that PyTom talks about is bad - I actually like it as well, but then again, it's not uncommon for me to discard such big bits and leave them out. I also had a THIRD version of Gakuen Redux and I didn't put that one as an easter egg either.

Maybe people would like some of the discarded stories - the second Misato game was basically done, and I am never going to release it. Also, there were several Black Pencil concept stories completed before the final one made it to the game. Milk Swim - don't get me started, the game evolved so radically, that there was nothing left from the original idea - all because another ideas took over. And it's the same with the Secretary. Granted, the final change was done almost at the last minute, but that may happen as well.

There is a difference between when I am in the process of creating a game, even finalizing it - and when I am actually making that final move of posting the game and releasing it. It may seem like a small last step, but I need to be 100% sure about everything before I actually commit myself to releasing it. In that time when I have everything on my disk and I am all alone with the game, that's when the final decision has to be made. And it's always the toughest decision of them all - because you kind of evaluate everything in the project and try to look whether you will be able to be okay with everything the game is.

And that brings me to the point, finally. I didn't want to include the other version (and other versions of other stories), because this, the SoD you were playing now, is the only one I consider to be the true SoD.

But maybe it's something people just feel as being a waste - I never want to waste any sketch or any piece of work that others do for the ATP games, because I just feel so bad, it feels like work is being done for nothing when things need to be redone or even scrapped. And I suppose if someone gave me two sets of graphics for my game and only let me use one set, I would feel something like that as well, and I would want that other set to be included as well - if you remember Transfer Teacher, that game had a completely different background set, menus and even some of the characters - it was changed in the last couple of days. I still have that version - calling it Transfer Teacher Blue.

Anyway, including or not including something that's already done will always be a decision, but it's not really as dramatic as it may seem and I really feel it's also not as wasteful as it may look. The final game will always be a result of a lot of testing, a lot of tries and a lot of concepts (if only in one's head). So maybe it's actually quite normal.

BTW, no one noticed the special menus and special release files? :( PyTom did a great job on those :wink:

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

I started playing Secretary Of Death a few weeks ago, back in my dorm. My roommate gets kind of interested when I start playing games, so he starts watching too. Then I get to the first
kissing scene, and it's a little embarrassing that my roommate is reading it with me- but no big deal, so I keep going. Then they start talking about making love... This was not the kind of quality time I wanted to spend with a guy I've been rooming with for almost a year! I nervously and quickly start clicking the mouse button whenever I see the words "make love" appear. I swear, they must've appeared a dozen times (though, playing it again, I think it was only twice >_< ). As I'm frantically clicking the mouse button, I suddenly realize something- I don't exactly know what's going to happen on the next screen... So I said something like, "you know what? Maybe we should stop here..." . Though, a lot less eloquently, I'm sure.
Anyway, so I finally finished it today, and I thought it was a really nice piece.
The lack of music wasn't really a problem for me, and the images were functional. I thought the number of emotions displayed was satisfactory, so I'm not sure why others were saying it was a problem. Knowing your time constraints, I'd say this production is quite impressive. Half the time of NaNoRenO (blast you mikey- compelling me to get the capitals on that correct...) . I was kind of surprised with the ending... I thought there was no way it was going to end nicely. I was expecting some sad tragedy, but instead, it was nice and sweet- very much to my liking.

At first, I was surprised to see that you had finished M3(2), and just decided not to release it. But then I thought, "Wait... It's mikey..." and I wasn't so surprised anymore ^_^;;; You have very... unconventional conventions ~_^ It's admirable, in a way.

I noticed the customized menus. I was especially fond of the text speed slide bars ^_^

I'm not sure about any "special release files", but I did notice that it was strangely packaged... It uses the initial directory as the game directory (which I didn't know was possible before), and I can't even find the compiled script file! The module and renpy folders have more files than usual, though I didn't look close enough to see which files were different. I noticed these changes when I was getting it ready for the archives. My original intent was to create a cross-platform zip file. I looked at the directory structure, and I was like, "...what the..." And so, there is no cross-platform zip for this game at the archives ^_^. Though, it appears that the .exe file may have all the files necessary to play on Mac and Linux. I was thinking about asking PyTom about everything- It looked like a lot sleeker way to distribute a game.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#27 Post by PyTom »

The module and renpy directories should be fairly stock, actually. (Unless some compiled python modules snuck in. I didn't hide anything in them.)

Basically, SoD takes advantage of some features that have snuck into the latest releases of Ren'Py, making it possible to reduce the number of files in games. These features are:

- If no game directory exists, Ren'Py will use the base directory as the game directory.

- Ren'Py will use certain archives by default (IIRC, this includes game.rpa, data.rpa, and name.rpa, where name is the name of the executable, excluding anything before an _, and any extension.)

- Ren'Py will search these default archives for .rpyc files, and use them as the game script.

- The latest version of py2exe supports placing everything into a single file. Ren'Py can take advantage of this to eliminate the game directory.

With 5.5 and the upcoming 5.5.1, there are two more improvements:

- All media can be read out of .rpa files, including images, fonts, and music.

- Ren'Py will look for itself in a file named "renpy.zip" in the base directory.

- I'm strongly considering deprecating the recommendation to ship the module directory. Instead, people should be pointed to the Ren'Py distribution in the rare case they need to compile the module by hand.

The result of this is that it's now possible to fit a cross-platform Ren'Py distribution into 4 functioning files:

run_game.exe
run_game.py
game.rpa
renpy.zip

Unfortunately, the build process for the improved run_game.exe remains a little bit hairy, and it has the annoying property that the name of the executable is set during the build process, and can't be changed without a major hassle. (Much in the same way that the path to lib/renpy.code is fixed into the current versions of Ren'Py.)

But hey, mikey has built up enough reputation as a game maker that when he says he wants something, or vaguely hints that he wants something, I try to make it happen.

(I may consider eliminating the lib/ directory in favor of a single large renpy.code file in 5.5.1. That would let mere mortals with reasonable amounts of ease make a 5 file distribution. But be warned... doing all the integration work required is a hassle, and it needs to be repeated if the game is ever changed. You'll need to automate everything to make it worthwhile. (Batch files/shell scripts should suffice.))
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#28 Post by mikey »

ShiraiJunichi>> Kissing (and beyond) is a very powerful instrument for a story, but since it's such a delicate thing, it's always best if the player enjoys it in an appropriate environment - the situation you described isn't really the best, so... I can understand that it must have felt awkward. But that's (IMO) a problem that can't really be solved. The point of ren'ai is that it's more intimate than other elements in a story and in order for it to work, it needs to be closer to the player than say, comedy which you can enjoy even in a crowded room.

And I think SoD is primarily a ren'ai game. This said, I'm also glad you liked the ending. :P

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#29 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Yeah, I think you described it perfectly. Ren'Ai games can be very intimate. Intimacy that can't shine through when you're with your buddies, or what not. It's the kind of thing that you can only truly enjoy by yourself, or with someone you love. In retrospect, it wasn't just that one part that was awkward- but the entire game felt a little different, knowing he was looking over my shoulder.
Contrast this with "Marry Me, Misato!" (please note the comma and exclamation point ^_^ ), which is a lot of fun to read with all of my friends.
At least in my case, it is a solveable problem ("Leave me alone!"). I just hadn't recognized the importance of playing alone before...

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#30 Post by kara24601 »

I haven't been able to get SOD to play at all so far on my computer. Every other game I've downloaded recently , except for this and Journal Entry , plays fine. I haven't tried to see how older games (especially older ATP games ) play on my new computer but hopefully I will not have any problems with them. The title alone makes me want to play it , since it does not sound like a ren'ai ( or at least not like a "typical" ren'ai ) game at all. But why would it be advertised here if it wasn't a ren'ai game? Heh.