Caught in Between: A childhood prologue.

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
silversporksama
Regular
Completed: Senpai WataMite, Last Couple Minutes
Organization: Tokkimeki
Tumblr: Tokkimeki
Deviantart: Tokkimeki
itch: tokkimeki

Re: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue.

#16 Post by silversporksama »

Hey Silver! Sorry for not being able to work on those other CGS @A@ Math and all my nonsense kind of killed me for the most part, but I'm really glad to have contributed at least one CG here! I'm looking forward to your next game, as well as the next time we can work together on a project >:D (Like, when I have more talent and free time. Sadly, it's only one or the other OTL )

Will put up my opinion after playing! Let's hope my internet won't die halfway through the download~

silversporksama
Regular

#17 Post by silversporksama »

Story-wise, I found it to be really sweet, and yet...not too unrealsitic! (which is very good. Impossibly-sweet plots and the like are overused, and are quite a bore.) My only concerns are....the aesthetics.

First of all. Deny help from Silversporksama when you already have a great artist. Silversporksama's style clashes completely and should just be left as fanart. ffff.

Second...Interface is nice when it's simple and clean. Playing with filters is okay, but on some really bad screen resolutions, the main menu's colors seem pretty static-y. Fonts are also a big cause of concern for the nitpicky Otome gamers such as me. OTL
The fonts you used are cute, but don't sacrifice clearness for cuteness! As said before, the font color is pretty hard to read early on. (though I'm quite curious....did you put text tags for all the text, or did you have a certain piece of code for making all the NVL-mode style text a certain color? I've been trying to achieve that, but I'm unsure about how to word it. urgh. )

Third: Jumpy sprites are one of my little pet peeves. Sorry. OTL I know a few ways to fix that problem, though. If you have GIMP or Photoshop, I could tell you. I mean, if you want to know. Transitions are also kinda iffy, but I get those problems too.
It's just kind of weird-er on yours because the sprites aren't fullbody. (or 3/4 body. This happened to me once before. I kind of nicknamed it the "Mananangal issue" for pretty clear reasons)

So basically, I love it plot-wise story-wise and because of your writing....It's really just the interface and stuff.

m(___)m Forgive me, I spend hours (days even!) on interface and this is what happened to me. Also, it's kind of gathered observation from various Otome games for the simple and clean interface thing. (Think Tokimeki Memorial. That's like, the ultimate clean interface right there. lol.)

But overall, it's awesome for a first project!

Now please excuse me while I make up for my lack of help by drawing fanart.
Um. After I win Shiki-pan's heart. *whips out DS and runs*

Elze
Veteran
Tumblr: Poepii

#18 Post by Elze »

SilverxBlue wrote:As for your question, I am not sure yet, cause the artist, Elze would be super busy for one whole month so the project is currently put on hold.
I'm so sorry for that! > < College just won't leave me alone. Gehh. But I'll be able to work really quickly after 18 June though. I'll be superrr free. :'D
silversporksama wrote: Jumpy sprites are one of my little pet peeves. Sorry. OTL I know a few ways to fix that problem, though. If you have GIMP or Photoshop, I could tell you. I mean, if you want to know. Transitions are also kinda iffy, but I get those problems too.
It's just kind of weird-er on yours because the sprites aren't fullbody. (or 3/4 body. This happened to me once before. I kind of nicknamed it the "Mananangal issue" for pretty clear reasons)
Ackt. Sorry about that. I didn't know that the bodies will be eh.. visible under the text box at times, so when Silver asked me if I'd like to work in 1/2 or 3/4, I happily picked the former LOL. orz;; I'm not sure about the jumpy sprites though *A* I'm pretty sure they're cropped and positioned at the exact same spot, since I saved the .png files directly from my psd file, only changing the layers for the emotions.

I've already told Silver my thoughts about the game, so I just want to add on that I really liked the music! Strings are always a favorite with me <3

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#19 Post by SilverxBlue »

@silversporksama - Thank you so much. :) And sorry for the really crappy interface, I was still a noob with Renpy when I encoded that, but now that I've learned a bit more, expect the other to be a whole lot better. And I'll be hiring beta-testers and proofreaders just to make sure.
I don't really know what happened with the jumpy sprites, it really annoyed me like hell. But even if I try using "xalign" and the others it still won't work. I hope it won't show up again.
silversporksama wrote:Now please excuse me while I make up for my lack of help by drawing fanart.
Um. After I win Shiki-pan's heart. *whips out DS and runs*
Wow, I never expected someone to make fanart. Thank you! :)
And Shiki is quite easy-to-get IMO, so pursuing him would be a breeze. BTW, have you played TMGS2? I'm currently playing it, and it is way more awesome than 1.
Elze wrote:But I'll be able to work really quickly after 18 June though. I'll be superrr free. :'D
Yay! I should start re-updating the script now. :)

And the music is all thanks to konaa.
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

silversporksama
Regular

#20 Post by silversporksama »

SilverxBlue wrote: Wow, I never expected someone to make fanart. Thank you! :)
And Shiki is quite easy-to-get IMO, so pursuing him would be a breeze. BTW, have you played TMGS2? I'm currently playing it, and it is way more awesome than 1.
fffff I've heard the endings are easier to get, and the bombs are less frustrating to get rid of. I tried it out before the patch came out, but now I kind of lost my micro SD adapter thing. (off to CD-R king! haha~)

ouo Shiba's my favorite guy in TMGS 2 as of yet, but idk. I have an undying love for TMGS1's awesome teacher Himurocchi nonetheless.
When they start patching 3rd story, I am going to foam at the mouth. No more Rivals~ eeeeeee~

also. Keep me in mind when you need beta-testing and proofreading~ I'm kinda quick at reading (lol compare the time between the past 2 posts of mine) and I love giving opinions and I just really want to see your next games. lol. :D

Silver team? Heck yeah?

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#21 Post by SilverxBlue »

silversporksama wrote: fffff I've heard the endings are easier to get, and the bombs are less frustrating to get rid of. I tried it out before the patch came out, but now I kind of lost my micro SD adapter thing. (off to CD-R king! haha~)

ouo Shiba's my favorite guy in TMGS 2 as of yet, but idk. I have an undying love for TMGS1's awesome teacher Himurocchi nonetheless.
When they start patching 3rd story, I am going to foam at the mouth. No more Rivals~ eeeeeee~

also. Keep me in mind when you need beta-testing and proofreading~ I'm kinda quick at reading (lol compare the time between the past 2 posts of mine) and I love giving opinions and I just really want to see your next games. lol. :D

Silver team? Heck yeah?
Himurochii is mine! :evil: LOL, Just kidding! XD
For TMGS2 I think I like Wakaouji (Seriously! What is up with me and teachers?) and Hikami the most. Hikami grabbed my attention almost instantly cause he is Himuro's cousin. XD
If TMGS3 starts patching, I'll probably acquire the patching team member's addresses and send them candies and chocolates.

Sure thing, I'll be keeping you in mind for this project then. :)
Yay! Silver team. :lol:
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

babyfish
Veteran
Projects: Maid of Midsummer (LifeSim)
Location: (' )< Swimming in your fishbowl, nomming on flakes.

#22 Post by babyfish »

This game is short, but rather sweet ^^ The character designs are just adorable.

Do I sense Himurocchi fans?! I think I'll take this chance to share this youtube vid originally from niconicodouga, with a sort of fan animation about Sensei and the Heroine....going on a drive?! I wonder if you've seen it yet~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN0I_qwFfSk

It's all in japanese, but it won't stop you from grinning, trust me.
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

silversporksama
Regular

#23 Post by silversporksama »

babyfish wrote:Do I sense Himurocchi fans?! I think I'll take this chance to share this youtube vid originally from niconicodouga, with a sort of fan animation about Sensei and the Heroine....going on a drive?! I wonder if you've seen it yet~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN0I_qwFfSk

It's all in japanese, but it won't stop you from grinning, trust me.

OHMAHGAHHHHHHH babyfish you are officially one of the people I adore in the LSF with all my heart.
*hearts and music notes~*

babyfish
Veteran
Projects: Maid of Midsummer (LifeSim)
Location: (' )< Swimming in your fishbowl, nomming on flakes.

#24 Post by babyfish »

There are actually several more vids made by the same creator... about Sensei and Heroine. XD Its all on nico nico douga, so if you have an account or can bother to get yourself one, they're all on this list.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/mylist/15919821

I do recommend them, some of them are just plain adorable.
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran

#25 Post by SilverxBlue »

I've watched almost every TMGS video in nico nico, they were all hilarious and cute!XD even if I couldn't understand a single thing.
Image Image
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by Riviera »

From my first playthrough:

!!Lighter text will make it easier to read, like a bright white!! (I think this has been addressed, so feel free to ignore)

Somebody ** you are *on* good terms with. (The whole who/whom thing is a big debate and it seems to flow better this way)

Even the *unfriendliest* of people *get* that chance (this is misspelled a few times. it might be more technically correct as "most unfriendly of people" but you can stay with this, up to you)

Because when I was younger, I was one of the *unfriendliest* kids on earth.

*They even called me antisocial.*

!!After "Well, this is how it all started" the game immediately crashed!!

I'd put in the script file you attached to one of your post.. so I don't know why it crashed at that point.

Aside from that, I like the narrator's voice! I hope I can get to play the rest of it.. lol.

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

IOError: Couldn't find file 'id_dream.png'.

While running game code:
 - script at line 115 of C:\Documents and Settings\Kim Tiencken\Desktop\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32/game/script.rpy

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Kim Tiencken\Desktop\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 270, in bootstrap
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Kim Tiencken\Desktop\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\renpy\main.py", line 310, in main
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Kim Tiencken\Desktop\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\renpy\main.py", line 93, in run
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Kim Tiencken\Desktop\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\renpy\execution.py", line 259, in run
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Kim Tiencken\Desktop\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\renpy\ast.py", line 942, in execute
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Kim Tiencken\Desktop\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\renpy\exports.py", line 748, in with_statement
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Kim Tiencken\Desktop\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\renpy\display\core.py", line 1418, in do_with
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Kim Tiencken\Desktop\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\renpy\display\core.py", line 1608, in interact
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Kim Tiencken\Desktop\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\renpy\display\core.py", line 1951, in interact_core
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Kim Tiencken\Desktop\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\renpy\display\core.py", line 1308, in draw_screen
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Kim Tiencken\Desktop\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\renpy\display\render.py", line 353, in render_screen
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Kim Tiencken\Desktop\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\renpy\display\render.py", line 141, in render
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Kim Tiencken\Desktop\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\renpy\display\layout.py", line 508, in render
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Kim Tiencken\Desktop\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\renpy\display\render.py", line 141, in render
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Kim Tiencken\Desktop\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\renpy\display\transition.py", line 413, in render
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Kim Tiencken\Desktop\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\renpy\display\im.py", line 450, in render
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Kim Tiencken\Desktop\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\renpy\display\im.py", line 197, in get
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Kim Tiencken\Desktop\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\renpy\display\im.py", line 1142, in load
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Kim Tiencken\Desktop\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\renpy\display\im.py", line 197, in get
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Kim Tiencken\Desktop\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\renpy\display\im.py", line 488, in load
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\Kim Tiencken\Desktop\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\renpy\loader.py", line 319, in load
IOError: Couldn't find file 'id_dream.png'.

While running game code:
 - script at line 115 of C:\Documents and Settings\Kim Tiencken\Desktop\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32\Caught in between a childood prologue-win32/game/script.rpy

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.11.2b
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran

#27 Post by SilverxBlue »

Oh, I'm so sorry for that... DX
The crash disappears if you try running it again and then skipping. :)
I will really kill my beta-testers right now..
Image Image
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#28 Post by Riviera »

Stuff happens.. don't feel too bad. Can't catch em all, no matter what pokemon says. :lol:
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

Esphirisa
Regular

#29 Post by Esphirisa »

Yay I liked it! As mentioned, there were some grammatical errors. I believed most of them were already pointed out. I like the part when Shione waved goodbye and her mum revealed a background detail. However, I do think that they speak quite maturely for 8 to 9 year old children, and this isn't the case for only Masaru... then again, I don't know how 8 to 9-year olds speak nowadays. Generation gap! Can't wait for the sequel! :D

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran

#30 Post by SilverxBlue »

Esphirisa wrote:Yay I liked it! As mentioned, there were some grammatical errors. I believed most of them were already pointed out. I like the part when Shione waved goodbye and her mum revealed a background detail. However, I do think that they speak quite maturely for 8 to 9 year old children, and this isn't the case for only Masaru... then again, I don't know how 8 to 9-year olds speak nowadays. Generation gap! Can't wait for the sequel! :D
Really? But I sort of based their way of talking to my nephew's way of talking.
He and most of his friends are kinda like that. XD
Image Image
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!