Kasuka

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Grey
Veteran

Kasuka

#1 Post by Grey »

Back in late December I decided to try my hand at making a Visual Novel style game, just to see how hard it was, after seeing various topics all over the place talking about projects, but never getting off the ground.

It isn't that good, namely because all of the games content was made by myself, engine, character art, background art etc, and I'm not really an artist. Oh, I'm not a writer either, so don't expect much from the story. :roll:

Anyway that said, the character art turned out better than I thought it would, and the background art was the worst part to do.

Umm yeah, that's about it. There are 2 available girls, and quite a few endings.

I wrote the game in Flash, and incorporated it into a windows shell. It's nowhere near as professional feeling as ToL1, but it might give people something to play while waiting for other projects.
Anyway please have a look and see what you think. Feedback is much appreciated :D

Update - See later post

Get Kasuka here
Last edited by Grey on Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#2 Post by Blue Lemma »

8) :D

I played the game and got the Reiko ending, and then I played again and got the no-girl ending. Nice game! :D My two cents:

The good:
* nice cute story and characters
* neat mini-game
* lots of choices
* fairly small download
* walking in on Reiko :shock:

The not-so-good:
* as you said, graphics could definitely use some work ^_^
* need music! :)
* I couldn't load any games I saved *bug alert!* :(

I ran it on Win95, fyi.

You know, now that you have a finished game, I bet you could find people willing to do art for it (if you want) 8)

Good work, Grey! :D

Miko Aihara
Game Girl (Tales of Lemma 1)

#3 Post by Miko Aihara »

I got the ending where Reiko and I kiss! :shock: I just had to try acting like a pervert (for a change!)... :lol:

Cool game! I'll show it to Yuki later. :wink:
If you've been sitting there for more than a couple hours, it's time to take a break and play some basketball or volleyball! :-D

Grey
Veteran

#4 Post by Grey »

Wow, thanks Lemma and Miko :)

Blue Lemma wrote:The not-so-good:
* as you said, graphics could definitely use some work ^_^
* need music! :)
* I couldn't load any games I saved *bug alert!* :(

I ran it on Win95, fyi.

You know, now that you have a finished game, I bet you could find people willing to do art for it (if you want) 8)

Good work, Grey! :D
I agree about the music, but that was one thing I couldn't bend my abilities to. Some fitting tunes and permission to use them would be nice :)

As to finding people to do art, any background art would be much appreciated as well.

And a bug already >_< I'm suprised you're still using windows 95 though, I'd have thought you'd be using 98 at least (which was the lowest windows version I tested my save system on >_< ) did it just give you some sort of read error or did it accuse you of cheating? :?

Lastly I hope Yuki likes it as well :D

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#5 Post by Sai »

Actually now that you mention music... I was actually going to ask you Lemma through PM about that aspect but maybe it'd be best in public, others will definitely be interested too.

Like Grey, I have zero musical ability. I'm OK handling art and writing (writing... to an extent ^^; ) and my friend can code but neither of us know how to produce music. It's OK messing about in a sound mixing program (when I find one and learn how to use it..) but are there any tips you can suggest or an insight into how you produce music for your own games?
I was thinking of writing a poem and using the syllables in the poem's words as notes for the melody as one tactic... if I can even interpret the syllables into notes... x_x

Grey I managed to download your program and had a go at it yesterday, I'm strapped for time but I've enjoyed it so far. I like the little introduction to your character, how it doesn't start with everyone else in the story but some self-wawareness of yourself (the fact you're kinda forgetful etc.) I also like the two characters and the personalities you chose being contrasting. Pretty cool so far ^^

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#6 Post by Blue Lemma »

Grey wrote:And a bug already >_< I'm suprised you're still using windows 95 though, I'd have thought you'd be using 98 at least (which was the lowest windows version I tested my save system on >_< ) did it just give you some sort of read error or did it accuse you of cheating? :
None of the save game files showed up in the load or save dialog boxes, but they showed up in Windows Explorer, so I know they were there. :? I would try running it on my WinXP machine, but that would involve burning a CD and I'm running low on CDs :oops: What happens if you cheat? *curious*
Sai wrote:...are there any tips you can suggest or an insight into how you produce music for your own games?
I generally don't do my own music since I'm :? at it. I scour the Internet and friends for people willing to write/donate music, and I get pretty good results. :D Tales of Lemma 2 might have some music I've written in it, but *urk*
Sai wrote:I was thinking of writing a poem and using the syllables in the poem's words as notes for the melody as one tactic... if I can even interpret the syllables into notes... x_x
That sounds like an interesting programming challenge! 8) I bet you could do that with MIDI without too many problems.... Maybe I'll try to write this.

Zintar
Miko-Snatcher

#7 Post by Zintar »

Great game. :twisted:
It's a pity about the music though. :cry:

Some of the backgrounds were quite good. :P

Anyway, how many endings r there. :roll:

Got the ending with no girls and the one where you
befriend both girls and never see them again. :evil:

Oh, and pretty neat arcade game within. 8)

A really good first effort, you can only get better now. :wink:

Off to play it again.
Feb 26, 2004 - Trinity Riot *hands Zintar the 101 Posts Award*
Feb 25, 2004 - Blue Lemma *awards the 2nd-2nd-Place Shoujo Attack Prize to Zintar*
Nov 06, 2003 - Blue Lemma *hands Zintar the Pointless Post Award*

Jerails
Veteran

#8 Post by Jerails »

Can't exactly say anything about the game, cause I haven't played it yet! But I can certainly say this about music : If you plan on writing it yourself, work with digital keyboards...they offer the widest choice of variety, and you can learn simple jingles relatively easily (F,C,A,E,A,C,F,C,A,E,A,C, and repeat endlessy for one of my jingles!)

I'm already at a disadvantage being only able to play percussion, which includes the percussion from bands, and ocarinas. There are my contributions to this problem.
It's been a while, folks!

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#9 Post by Taleweaver »

I got four endings so far... Reiko Friend Ending, Reiko Kiss Ending, No Girl Ending, and Seisha Friend Ending. I know there's a "befriend both" ending... is there also a Seisha Love Ending? Maybe you have to beat her in that arcade game...

Story isn't too... well, intriguing, but there are many branches. Mood could be a little stonger; that's what "Black Pencil" did really well. What I liked is that your actions strongly determine the course of the story. Now, if "Kasuka" had an actual story behind it, it would be REALLY neat.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Grey
Veteran

#10 Post by Grey »

Thanks Sai and Zintar :)

Lemma, does it work if you just give it a pathname of the file? My guess is the dialog component I used wasn't made to work on 95...If you cheat and modify the file it shouldn't load, and will give you a message saying something to that extent, nothing too interesting.

Zintar, there are 6 or so main endings, but each generally has 2/3 variations, mostly depending on how much the girl/girls like you.

eg Reiko's ending is one of the 6, and there are 3 flavours to it, an OK one, at a certain point level, then above that there's one if you havn't been a perv, and one for if you have.

None of them are that long though...:roll:
...except for the one where you try to get with Reiko and Seisha. I think there's only one path you can take to get to it though :twisted:

Edit: Thanks Taleweaver too :)

Yes there is a Seisha love ending, (and theres a mistake shownig the text in it >_< )and it's not neccessary to beat her to get it. She's just harder to please than Reiko :rolleyes:

I agree that the story wasn't too deep, I used it more as a tool as to why they're up there for 5 days only, and the player doesn't know anyone. Maybe if I do such a project again I'll make the story have a bit more of an active role in the game.

I'm pleased about all the comments on thew actions you take so far :)

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#11 Post by Sai »

Jerails wrote:Can't exactly say anything about the game, cause I haven't played it yet! But I can certainly say this about music : If you plan on writing it yourself, work with digital keyboards...they offer the widest choice of variety, and you can learn simple jingles relatively easily (F,C,A,E,A,C,F,C,A,E,A,C, and repeat endlessy for one of my jingles!
Just a standard run-of-the-mill offline keyboard? Like from Yamaha and all that...? I have two at home... a small one I've had for a very very long time and a big one that's someone else's but they've left it here with us unless they decide to sell it... Anyway I don't have a clue how to play either though heh. Suppose that's an option though, bashing away at some keys might create something to work from and some of those sample beats keyboards have could be used for mixing in a sound editor program.
Lemma that'd be cool aswell if you could make a program that converts word syllables into notes, could be good to work off just to grasp at some kind of melody.
Grey wrote:I agree that the story wasn't too deep, I used it more as a tool as to why they're up there for 5 days only, and the player doesn't know anyone. Maybe if I do such a project again I'll make the story have a bit more of an active role in the game.
I know what you mean, I think most people start that way though anyway. Lemma's ToL1 has a relatively simple concept storywise, it definitely works but I bet her later works will step up the pace (as we can already see by the introduction of more characters at once). I'm thinking of doing a game also and it lasts about 1-2 days and is relatively simple in story too but I already hope for another game after that that could lead into more of a mystery storyline, and mysteries almost always allow for more depth.
Either way it's hard getting a balance of elements to a game, well done with your achievement of completing one.

Jerails
Veteran

#12 Post by Jerails »

For Sai, yeah, usually any old fashioned keyboard will work. But make sure you have some way of plugging in the sound that comes from the board into the computer! And yeah, playing a few keys here and there do give out results, albeit mediocre ones. And incase anyone was interested in that cheesy little jingle of mine, it's all eigth-notes.

I also have an extended version of said jingle. Just replace every other "F" with a lower "E."

F C A E A C LE C A E A C

Or alternate. Two "Fs" and two low "Es"

F C A E A C F C A E A C LE C A E A C LE C A E A C

Little jingles here and there are simple, fun, and on some occasions the perfect match for certain scenes!

EDIT : I just finished the game twice and now I'm all confused. I think I got the R/S Friends and the R/S Close Friends endings. In one, We keep in contact, but nothing more, in the other, we all hang out together every once in a while. So...Uhhh...What's it mean? Am I like...the ultimate friend or something? Cause if so...Wooo!! Go me! Just like my personality!
It's been a while, folks!

Grey
Veteran

#13 Post by Grey »

Heh, yeah there are 3 variations on the R/S friends ending that are just determined by points, so yeah you're probably the ultimate friend :roll:

Jannis

#14 Post by Jannis »

may i ask what i have to do to get the different endings?
so far i have got the ending where reiko and i are friends. one where reiko and i might get together. and one where i just meet bouth at the buss and nothing more.
what do i have to do to get the love endings?

nice game, by the way. :)

Edit: ok, i just found the love ending. but i didn't relly expect that i had to act like a perv to make reiko love me... :P
Miko's just sooo cute... Image

#15 Post by Guest »

You don't have to act like a perv. You can also just be nice to her and go shopping and say nice things and stuff (make sure you always visit her room tho!). In the "normal" gf ending, you guys go off have a relationship, you cheer her on her basketball matches, and so on.

I've gotten the Seisha ending as well, that was quite a bit harder tho. I HAD to visit her room, and answer her question of why I did it in a certain order or it was screwed up. First I think I had to just say goodnight, then I had to put my arm around her, then I had to make sure that she was okay. After the arm thing, I invite her to the shop (she turns me down the first day, but not the second. Obviously go with her on the trip and be nice to her all the other times.

Just for fun when she was crying I told her, "They have a point....". Funniest reaction ever! All I can say is, my character got what he deserved.

You should be able to at least to attempt to make up and be friends with Reiko tho if you accidently go too far when "perving". I mean, it is a thin line and I'd think she'd understand if you screwed up.

But ya, I had fun playing it. I'm sure there's a few endings I haven't done tho, hehe.