Kasuka

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#31 Post by rioka »

The only background change I saw was at the bus stop.... or maybe it was my imagination. :P

And I'm surprised the game isn't working for you Bombadil - I'm also running it on XP and it works just fine. ..strange indeed..

Anywhoo, nice additions Grey! Quite spiffy. Still chasing Namikawa tho... XD

Did you make the whole game in flash/shockwave and just saved the finished project as an executable?

Grey
Veteran

#32 Post by Grey »

Thanks Eclipse :D You're imagining background changes too though, I havn't done anything to any of them (except possibly turned the compression on them down a bit for slightly better poor quality :roll: )Image

Basically the game itself is made in Flash 5 because of its powerful actionscript language, easy image handling, and compact filesize, but to make it into a .exe file I embedded the movie in a program written in Delphi (which is less powerful, but much more expansive) which you can use to write applications/programs for windows.

The Delphi shell handles the things like saving, loading, and the fullscreen bits that you can't do in Flash. (or not in 5 anyway)

Jerails
Veteran

#33 Post by Jerails »

In the words of pretty much anyone who's lived in Waianae at least three years, "Mean da updates, bradda!" with 'updates' being replaced by a slang word.

I like the newer versions of the girls. Shows a bit more character to them! I'm also happy that they're aren't looking exactly at the center of the screen! (They didn't do this in the old Kasuka I know, but it always gets to me when they're staring right at me, cause then I stare back...And I forget they're simply dots on my screen, and it turns into a staredown)

And of course, can't forget the new girl! Namikawa or something of that sort (Having trouble remembering names right now) is quite a pretty girl, but I've so far only flung my door out at her. I'll continue my game later, this ankle must heal...

Overall, a humble update, but one that is most greatly enjoyed! Can't wait to see if you'll give a shot at developing a different game!

And now, some volleyball cheers for you to perform as you walk in the mall!

"Seisha on two! *Clap clap* Sei-SHA!!!"

"Reiko-reiko one-two-three! *Clap clap* Three-two-one! *Clap clap clap*"
It's been a while, folks!

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#34 Post by rioka »

lol Maybe it's the thought of a new improved version that our minds are playing tricks on us!
Grey wrote:.. to make it into a .exe file I embedded the movie in a program written in Delphi (which is less powerful, but much more expansive) which you can use to write applications/programs for windows.

The Delphi shell handles the things like saving, loading, and the fullscreen bits that you can't do in Flash. (or not in 5 anyway)
I totally forgot about this feature since all I ever needed to do with Flash was make swf files but you can make an exe file by using the Projector when you publish your file. Here's a section from a Flash 4 book I have:

There's a bit more about settings/configuring but that's the gist of it. I thought that this was what you did but I was a bit stumped on the save option. Nice solution to that problem, btw. =)

Tom Bombadil
Regular

#35 Post by Tom Bombadil »

Got the game; think it was a problem on my end; my folks say they've been having trouble with downloads, too. ^_^; Looks nice so far....my first reaction when I saw Seisha was, "Aaah! Gray's programmed himself in as a girl! Aaaah!" ^_^;; I got a Seisha-friend ending, I think, and it seemed not the best ending. Second time, I got the Reiko-love ending, I think. Now I'm going for either the shounen-ai or Namikawa, can't decide which. I think I found a bug; I started a new game (and I think I had the same name as before), and I went to Reiko's roon on Night 2. She said thanks for coming all those other times, and I had the option of saying it's the last time I'd be able too....then it wouldn't display text when I got to my room...... :? Anyway, cool game tho. Seisha rules!
Meh, I don't feel like coming up with a sig right now....^_^;;

Grey
Veteran

#36 Post by Grey »

Thanks Jeralis, I'm glad you approve (Don't worry though, I find it hard to do characters that stare at you). Hahaha I'm glad people like Namikawa, I didn't want to say anything so as not to spoil the suprise for the first people to play it :D

Hmm, not amazingly sure I will be giving a shot at something new though, I havn't got any good ideas for storylines, or new characters to fit in storylines. Hahaha, I guess I'm just a programmer first, and a mediocre character artist second.

--

That's quite an interesting article Eclipse. Also maybe I should have told everyone "Now Kasuka definitely doesn't have an epic and impossible to put down storyline". You'd all be exclaiming over the new and improved storyline Image :roll:
Tom Bombadil wrote:Got the game; think it was a problem on my end; my folks say they've been having trouble with downloads, too. ^_^; Looks nice so far....my first reaction when I saw Seisha was, "Aaah! Gray's programmed himself in as a girl! Aaaah!" ^_^;; I got a Seisha-friend ending, I think, and it seemed not the best ending. Second time, I got the Reiko-love ending, I think. Now I'm going for either the shounen-ai or Namikawa, can't decide which. I think I found a bug; I started a new game (and I think I had the same name as before), and I went to Reiko's roon on Night 2. She said thanks for coming all those other times, and I had the option of saying it's the last time I'd be able too....then it wouldn't display text when I got to my room...... Confused Anyway, cool game tho. Seisha rules!
Haha >_<;; After I wrote the first version I just started using Seisha as my avatar. I'm glad you like her though, she's probably my favourite :D

That bug scares me though. It should be impossible. All the variables should be reset once you get back to the Start/Load screen. This never happened in the last version (then again several things were in the last version that didn't get reported). I never had it while testing, and just now when I tried I couldn't replicate it. Hve you got a save file near the event, or would you mind trying to do it again?

Has anyone else found that problem, or a related one?

Eiji
Regular

#37 Post by Eiji »

Grey wrote: Eiji, that's odd. Windows XP is the operating system I use. What happens when you try to run it?

Have you got the Macromedia Flash Player installed? (Or possibly it's the shockwave flash player you need.)
I'm not sure at this time.. I'll bring my comp to my friends house this weekend (if I can) and see if I can get that... (I thought I got it when we upgraded my software..)

Tom Bombadil
Regular

#38 Post by Tom Bombadil »

I'll see what I can do, Gray, but I'm short on time right now....I'm supposed to be somewhere else as we speak.....^_^;;
Meh, I don't feel like coming up with a sig right now....^_^;;

BlackSpider
Regular

#39 Post by BlackSpider »

Well, I played the improved Kasuka version and it's much better than the first release. Character art has really improved. Especially the new girl Namikawa is good. I didn't say this earlier, but to be honest I was a little put off by the art of the original when I played it for the first time. Anyway, that's now for the second time that I didn't succeed :(. Neither Reiko, Seisha or Namikawa wanted to be my friend at the end. And IMO I was sure I've chosen the right path. I think I'll have to try once again later...

Grey
Veteran

#40 Post by Grey »

Thanks BlackSpider :) I'm not suprised you were put off the first time really, but I'm glad you find it playable now.

I had to tweak the ending code quite a bit to fit Namikawa in. A third variable made the final decision quite a bit more complicated, so in V1 when you tried to be friends wiht Reiko and Seisha,you'd get one of ~three R/S friend variants.

Adding Namikawa meant that if you tried to be friends with all three there had to be an ending to deal with that. Now the 'default ending' isofar as there is one is a modified version of the lowest R/S friends which also deals with Namikawa. This is the bus, and the people you've done OK with saying bye to you.

I don't think I hashed up the code, as I did quite a bit of testing, and I'm pretty sure I could get to all the endings...of course I did know the requirements, and more importantly the exact scores for each of the girls displayed as I played :roll:

I'll get round to playing your game as soon as I can download the thing, but as everyone where I am seems to want to use the internet at the moment, and it's a shared 56K connection (that disconnects every 2 hours) I'll have to wait for my moment :roll:

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#41 Post by mikey »

Wahaha, it doesn't really matter about the art Grey, I don't know why, but I just can play Kasuka forever - I got this ending, that ending, sometimes I am nice, sometimes not so nice... Personally I don't like these kinds of multiend games, but yours is very compact and playable. Now... all it would take for a potential "c" version to be absolutely phenomenal, would be new BGs (even photographs - Blackspider has links to free photo sites) - in my opinion

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#42 Post by rioka »

What did you say mikey? I can't read it! What about the backgrounds?!? Why did you write so small? ;D

Yes, I concur, btw. It would really be fantatic if Grey does use them. Hint hint...

BlackSpider
Regular

#43 Post by BlackSpider »

Yes, I forgot to add one more thing... Those backgrounds are made in such a way that I always have the feeling to look down to the floor. That's not really important, but...

Grey
Veteran

#44 Post by Grey »

Hahah, the backgrounds...that's just a thing I havn't had any sucess at bending my artistic talents to. (I should really practice more like I did with the character art...but I can't find the inclanation to draw bits of wall from a proper perspective and suchlike >_< )

Where are these links to photo sites? Do you mind PMing me the links Blackspider? (I'm not promising anything though people :roll: ) I can't find them on your site...I have looked around at one or two photo sites, but I didn't find any backgrounds that were suitable. Ditto with looking for music.

Hmm maybe there are some BG artists around here? ;)

BlackSpider
Regular

#45 Post by BlackSpider »

If you want, you can find free background photos here :
http://www.sxc.hu/index.phtml

and here :
http://www.morguefile.com/

When downloading photos from the stock.xchng site be sure to read each photo "use restrictions". Some authors need to be cotacted first before using their work, and some don't allow their work to be used for commercial purposes. As to the Morguefile photo archive, AFAIK it's free for all creative pursuits. But better read the licence anyway in case something's changed.

There's one more thing. Sometimes mixing real photos (even good ones) with anime chracters just doesn't look good.