Faery Tale ~ A Romantic Fantasy Visual Novel

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

Re: Faery Tale ~ A Romantic Fantasy Visual Novel

#31 Post by Wright1000 »

Very nice.
The art was fantastic.
But there were some spelling mistakes.
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#32 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Riviera wrote:Ahhh, don't worry overmuch. At least it's something easy to fix! For some reason I didn't notice the title in your sig, so I was really confused to see it in the readme. :lol:
Never edit when you're short of sleep. Seriously.
Riviera wrote:I played Torrey & the Vampire, by the way, thought it was great.
You did? Thank you! That was my very first game.
Riviera wrote:I'm really glad I did read so many faery tales, this game sure put that to good use!
I knew at least some of the rules...
Evil grin

As for your pointers...
~~~~~~~~~~~
1. Correct!
2. Absolutely correct!
3. Well, in this case, I just wanted to see him beg. :D
4. Hmm... Definitely something for the next game!
5. Very, very true.
Riviera wrote:There were a few typos, but it's about 2 am right now where I am so I'll run through it again tomorrow and PM you the ones I found.
Please do!!!
Riviera wrote:I didn't install the game in the default location, and at first my computer couldn't find it when I clicked on the shortcut it put on my desktop. I manually browsed and found the exe file, and now it works fine, but I figured I'd mention that.
I do know about that. Unfortunately, I have no clue how to fix it.
Riviera wrote:Now for the review!

Overall, it was fun to play, and all of the art was amazing, as I knew it would be.
Thank you so much!
Riviera wrote:Kind of a shame so many of the routes were so short, but as you said, faery tales are like that! They meet, fall desperately in love, some old lady pops in and gives the lovely girl an apple or whatever, she's cursed/turns into a bird/etc and he saves her. The end.
Not to mention that the game is already gigantic. I am however, absolutely thrilled that No One has said the game is too long!
Riviera wrote:I liked the nixie a lot but that was more for his looks and sensuality than anything deep. Dunno how they'll be later, but she shouldn't be disappointed in the bedroom at least!

LOL! At least!
Riviera wrote:I kinda felt bad for Tristan, but felt a bit, I dunno, uneasy about him.

Good, you were supposed feel both of those.
Mainly because if you let him in the house, the game ends too quick. :)
Riviera wrote:
He's trying too hard. Plus the scenes that happen if you let him in the house indicate that he's got no problem simply taking what he wants. They might be happy, but it probably won't last. But we never see what happens after the happy end, do we?
No we don't. We don't in real fairy tales either.
Riviera wrote:
I still felt that any end with him wasn't really a good end, all things considered. Just my opinion.

There IS one, but it takes the longest route to get there.
Riviera wrote:
Not that any of them are completely good, are they? :lol:
Exactly, which is why there was a question mark: "Happily Ever After...?"
Riviera wrote:It's probably easy to tell how I feel about magicians in general from the rule I mentioned, so you know what I thought about his route. :lol:
Ass! No kiss for you! *smack*
I do wonder about that horse though...
I feel exactly the same way about magicians, as if you couldn't tell.
That IS the only truly bad end in the game.
Poor Nero.
Riviera wrote:
Okay, I liked Oberon and Louis a lot too. I get the feeling they might turn out to be decent relationships.
Those were both meant to be 'okay' endings.
Riviera wrote:Caveat is
in Louis's case it's only a matter of time before she ends up dead...
Unless he does something to put an end to it, which is actually what I was hinting at in his epilogue.
Riviera wrote:
...and in Oberon's case, fae are fickle and he could fairly easily get bored of her and do something horrible without batting an eyelash.
He's not THAT bad. At least, he's not meant to be that bad, not on the level of
the sorcerer.
Riviera wrote:"It's even bigger on the inside." ... Was that a reference to a certain sci-fi british show? :D
Mmmm... Could be...! ;) But Versailles, where most of the palace images came from, really IS bigger on the inside.
Riviera wrote:Faery tales have always been about people making Wrong Choices (I think you said that earlier), and What Happens After. Though some of them get lucky and find a way to correct their mistake, make amends with the person who punished them, or simply wiggle out of it via a loophole, but not all of them... Oooooh some of them were kind of horrid.
Many of them were kind of horrid. Patricide, matricide, sibling-murder, child-slaying, amputation, cannibalism... This is in addition to raping and stealing. Anytime you see a kiss in a faery tale, it's sex. Really.
Riviera wrote:So yes, that's that. Review's over. Sorry it's such a wall of text. :D It was very interesting! I hope to see more like it!
I didn't mind your wall of text at all! In fact, I really appreciate your thorough review. Sorry about the spelling errors and the installer glitch. I would very much like a PM with the corrections listed. Unlike the other games, I didn't write the story out in Word first. I was in way too much of a hurry to finish it.

I am absolutely thrilled you liked it over all! Thank you.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#33 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Wright1000 wrote:Very nice.
The art was fantastic.
But there were some spelling mistakes.
Thank you so much! I'm thrilled you liked it.
-- I intend to correct the spelling mistakes -- as soon as I figure out where all of them are.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

xxxSakura
Regular

#34 Post by xxxSakura »

I just love this game so much that I can't stop myself from viewing Tristan's best (and canon) ending over and over again. Figured they were canon by their default names. I also like how you've modified and twisted the Red Riding Hood story! Tristan's so devoted to Iseult it's so cute!
(although it's fishy how he knows how long it takes to lace up her corset... xD)
The music was absolutely fitting as well - especially Nero's whinnies and all. Don't get me started on the art. It was just so beautiful. I'm glad you made this game and it's turned into one of my favourite fairy-tale games ever. Not that there are many, but I hope you'd do something like that again soon. Anyway, looking forward to your next game! ^^

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#35 Post by OokamiKasumi »

xxxSakura wrote:I just love this game so much that I can't stop myself from viewing Tristan's best (and canon) ending over and over again.
I am absolutely thrilled you liked it so much!
xxxSakura wrote:Figured they were canon by their default names.
You figured right!
xxxSakura wrote:I also like how you've modified and twisted the Red Riding Hood story! Tristan's so devoted to Iseult it's so cute!
There is one glaring plot hole in the original story of Red Riding Hood - WHY was the wolf after her? I decided to take blatant advantage of that and plug in my own reason: love.
xxxSakura wrote:
(although it's fishy how he knows how long it takes to lace up her corset... xD)
He's not a virgin. ;)
xxxSakura wrote:The music was absolutely fitting as well...
Thank you! Those albums were a miraculous find. I still can't believe that they were free to use!
xxxSakura wrote:...especially Nero's whinnies and all.
LOL! Being a horse freak, I absolutely had to put at least one horse character in my game, even if he didn't do much.
xxxSakura wrote:Don't get me started on the art. It was just so beautiful.
I am so glad you like the art. It took months to figure out how to make photos look like that.
xxxSakura wrote:I'm glad you made this game and it's turned into one of my favourite fairy-tale games ever. Not that there are many, but I hope you'd do something like that again soon. Anyway, looking forward to your next game! ^^
Thank you so very much for playing my game!

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#36 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Congrats on the DD too ;)

Lotus
Veteran
Projects: Unnamed Slenderman VN, Secret 10560

#37 Post by Lotus »

You got a DD? D: *checks* Oh goodness you did! You definitely deserve it!

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#38 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:Congrats on the DD too ;)
Thank you!
-- The DD totally blew my mind, by the way. I posted this game less than a week ago!

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#39 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Lotus wrote:You got a DD? D: *checks* Oh goodness you did! You definitely deserve it!
Thank you so much! I was seriously surprised.
-- Thank the gods I got version 3 (spell-checked by Riviera) fully loaded on MediaFire before that hit. In fact, only 3 hours before that hit!

GeneDNC
Veteran
Completed: Freezing v1.0

#40 Post by GeneDNC »

I haven't played this yet, but the art looks amazing and I am looking forward to it. I'd like to ask though, any chance of you ever making a tutorial on how you do your manipulations?

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#41 Post by OokamiKasumi »

GeneDNC wrote:I haven't played this yet, but the art looks amazing and I am looking forward to it.
Thank you! I hope you like it.
GeneDNC wrote:I'd like to ask though, any chance of you ever making a tutorial on how you do your manipulations?
Nope, not at all. The 'manipulations' are done in exactly the same manner that you'd find in any tutorial in Deviant Art. The filter process to make them look like art rather than photos is something I absolutely will not share. It took me Months to work out that exact effect and some of the art filters used to make it happen were expensive. No way am I just giving away all that effort and frustration.

Celestine
Veteran

#42 Post by Celestine »

I want to write a review. But I can't get to the last two endings.
How do you get the last 2 endings of this game? And not the specific routes endings of nixie bride, wolfe bride, tea shop, oberon bride, magistar dancing girl and prince's mistress. But the very last two you mentioned there being.
No matter what I do I can't get to the last two.
Iratherbeweird,thencalledstrange.
MydadtaughtmeinLifeEverything[/i]has consequences.Good and Bad actions/decision.

maryeliezka
Completed: The Ghost on The Shore
Projects: Project Helix
Organization: Project Helix Team

#43 Post by maryeliezka »

whew.. i like the artwork :D

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#44 Post by Wright1000 »

An error with this game. If you click on "Credits" and then play the game, an error message appears.
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

Armyfyr

#45 Post by Armyfyr »

I'm only on my second path, but I'll just add that I absolutely love this already. The artwork is simply stunning (only thing I rather disliked was the fact that the Sorcerer looks too androgynous, at least in my opinion) and I adore the music. It's a very interesting idea, and although I was skeptical when I saw the file size, I regret nothing. Thank you for making this beautiful game, I'm looking forward to finding all the endings.