Journal Entry 05/23/06

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
bowling pin
Regular

Journal Entry 05/23/06

#1 Post by bowling pin »

https://webspace.utexas.edu/jdr783/jour ... 052306.exe

It's not a traditional ren'ai game, nor is it very long either. This is just me testing out GameMaker's ability to make visual novels, and it's versatile enough to do just that. Because I didn't want to figure out a story to write down in only a few minutes, I decided to just do something non-fictional: write a journal entry and use snapshots to accompany it. So yes, everything in this little "kinetic diary" is true. And it does come to an abrupt end, but I just wanted some practice writing in the medium anyway.

So, what do you think?

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#2 Post by kara24601 »

Unfortunately , I couldn't get Journal Entry to play on my computer.

bowling pin
Regular

#3 Post by bowling pin »

Really? Do you mind telling me if you got any error messages? Also, what OS are you running?

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#4 Post by papillon »

There's a couple people around who can't run gm6. I always hit that. :)

For me, it launched, but with a huge delay. And then there was no way to close it gracefully, it had to be killed from the task manager. Also, the textbox often flickered white when you were loading new text.

I would suggest externalising more resources. it should help with the loading time and the filesize. And it really needs to respond correctly to close attempts! (as well, multiple advancement methods - space and mouse-click as well as enter - are helpful)

(I'd offer you the GM engine I'm currently using, but you seem to have made a good start on your own. :) )

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#5 Post by kara24601 »

It gives me some annoying error message about my graphics card...I don't understand why...I keep having trouble with certain 3D / Rendered programs but everything else works fine and it shouldn't be causing so much trouble.
I have Windows XP ...I think , ( even though I hate the idea because the stupid graphics card shouldn't be giving me so much trouble when it comes to 3D / rendered stuff and then I'll need another 3D graphics card for my old computer since I still use it for alot of stuff ) , that I'm going to have to take the 3D compatible graphics card from my old computer and put it in my new one in order to solve the problem once and for all. *sigh*

bowling pin
Regular

#6 Post by bowling pin »

I see. The reason that the game can't be closed through the window is because the Game Maker textbox script I use freezes the game. papillon, if you've got a textbox script that gets around that, I'd be interested in looking at it.

I guess I should probably look at Ren'Py if I want to make anything else. I'll probably port this little journal entry to it too.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#7 Post by papillon »

If you only want to make a straight visual novel game and have lots of people to assist you, yeah, switch to Ren'Py. I can give you my engine, but then you'd only have ME to turn to for support. Probably not the best idea if you're not a very confident scripter. :)

(I'm guessing you've borrowed one of the Zelda-style textbox scripts and that's why it freezes the game while displaying text... since freezing is totally unnecessary in this style of game, I'm guessing you're not that practised a GM scripter.)