PQRS the Game [School, Drama, Comedy, Romance]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
carosene
Veteran
Completed: That Cheap and Sacred Thing

Re: PQRS the Game

#16 Post by carosene »

I loved this game! Super cute! I loved the quirky art style, and the characters and the random mini games are a lot of fun.

I solved the locker problem by hitting enter until something happened... :\ I don't know if that's helpful or not.

(Ellen! I want to be your lesbian literature snob Sandman soul mate! *cough*)
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

badspeler
Regular
Completed: Aris High Visual Novel, PQRS the Game
Projects: Aris High Visual Novel
Organization: Sotong Games

#17 Post by badspeler »

Thanks for your kind words carosene! Hehe yeah I love Ellen the most too~

And to anyone worried about "the locker problem", here's Version 1.4 for you. There is now a more obvious feedback when you find the right item in Raechelle's locker, so you're unlikely to get stuck / rely purely on spamming clicks the whole screen. Really sorry anyone was put through that in the first place.

Refer to Post #1 for download links!

Changelog for Version 1.4:
  • Themed the preference, save, load, and credits screens.
  • Tweaked the music choices
  • Archived game files
  • Implemented feedback for Raechelle's locker imagemap
Games: Aris High Visual Novel (for Android), PQRS

Melinoe
Regular

#18 Post by Melinoe »

I just found this on my computer, turns out I downloaded it and forgot about it. And wow... this was a very good game! :)

And when you said you made the protagonist act masculine, I don't know whether you edited that or something, but I thought Ashley seemed feminine from the start (not only because of the name). So if you see it like that, I guess Ashley is gender neutral, then, huh?

The story was very strong, and I liked all the characters a lot. Michelle was one of my least favorite, but she actually grew on me... Very well-written and definitely believable.
Felt bad for June and Zak, though. Kind of wanted them to get back together...
The art seemed a little weird at first, but it grew on me, and I ended up really liking it after finishing the game. Went from weird to charming.

I'm very glad I found this on my computer; it was definitely worthwhile. Great job!
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like." Lemony Snicket, The Slippery Slope

Niki
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

#19 Post by Niki »

A Singaporean game in a Singaporean setting? Holy crap! :D (The only one I've ever played was Darkness, lol)
Downloading it now~

EDIT: That was amazing xD I really enjoyed it. The minigames were added fun!
Image (devblog) || tumblr

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

#20 Post by ludeshka »

You know, I think this game deserves like a lot more love.

I'll be honest and say the very beginning didn't grab me. (the whole "dear voice in my head" and "random institution". I'm a very unfunny person, and "random" jokes don't make me laugh. I guess I'd be emo if I wasn't so old XD)

But after the very first minutes, it totally grabbed my interest.
I loved the "level gaining" aspect of it, and I really liked how non-obvious the "right" choices were. As in, I have no idea if I did the right thing, I just did what felt best for me
(supporting David, telling June to break up with Zak, etc)
The minigames were VERY fun. Even if I never ever understood the game about choosing one color, and had to go with the "color blind version" :D

I liked this game very much, and I'll wait for your next game with interest. :)

badspeler
Regular

#21 Post by badspeler »

Thank you very much for all your kind words everyone T_T

Oh yes I definitely agree that this game deserves more love. help me recommend it to people who'll like it, k? :) haha

ludeshka, you may be on to something there about the beginning. i got my friend to dl it and he gave up before he even got through the quiz because he found it too boring. which is a pity, because I believe in a strong opening with no boring tutorials and immediate gameplay and that means it did not work as well as hoped for! Sounds like room for an update!
Last edited by badspeler on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

#22 Post by ludeshka »

You know, I'm only going to be picky because you mentioned a proofreader encountered the same problem I encountered. But once again, let me say I liked this game, okay? I'm not trying to bash your work.

I don't think it's a problem that you didn't want to write a "tutorial" because the game is pretty self-explanatory (except for that puzzle with the colors. I never understood that puzzle. then again, I'm horrible at puzzles).

I think the problem is those first introductory sentences sound like you wanted to get them out of the way and be done with it. (I have no idea if this is true, it's only what I felt while reading them). Either that, or they're supposed to be funny and I'm really, really unfunny.

I'm not saying "Change the beginning!" because this is the completed game, not a WIP, but if you'd like some possible feedback for future games, maybe you could try beginning the next story from a scene you yourself consider interesting. Odds are readers can wait for an explanation if the thing that's happening right now is interesting enough.

I liked this game. I think you can do even better, so I will be waiting for the next one. :)

Joey
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

#23 Post by Joey »

I liked the game a lot. I think I'd attribute the fact that some people didn't find some parts funny (i.e. Random Institution) to the fact that they're not Singaporean though. To me, it was really funny xDD
Image (devblog) || devtwitter | devtumblr

daffodilistic

#24 Post by daffodilistic »

nice work, made me register on this site just to comment, lol! I'm interested in a collab, and while my art is still "newb" level, I bring logic and order to code, which is also my day job ;)

zelikardix

#25 Post by zelikardix »

Hello! I just wanted to say that I LOVED your game. I loved everything about it, from the art style, to the way it was written, to the story line. I must say, David was my favorite from the beginning. And then Ellen. I don't know, I guess I'm into the shy, quiet, smart kids. And 'emo' hair. Ahahaha. Anyway, that's not really the point of this post. The point of this post is to ask you if June and Michelle are attainable. I've tried EVERYTHING. I'm starting to think they aren't, but I want to be sure. I have attained everyone (including Ow Ah Mee) except for June and Michelle. So, are they attainable, or...? If so, please tell me how to attain them. Thanks in advance!

badspeler
Regular

#26 Post by badspeler »

June and Michelle are not attainable! :)

badspeler
Regular

#27 Post by badspeler »

Wow it's been a while. Just a few quick updates on PQRS the Game and Sotong Games:

You can now follow Sotong Games on twitter! @SotongGames

There's a thread on lemmasoft to follow and discuss updates about the new game (Aris High Junior College): http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=16363

Also, looking for a BG ARTIST to help me remake PQRS because it's being ported to the iPHONE OMG
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 38&t=16253

There's a playable alpha version already, so this is really happening. Super excited. Follow on twitter for updates! Wish me luck.
Last edited by badspeler on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#28 Post by Arowana »

Omg, two of my friends are from Raffles! I have to make them play this game and see if they can tell me all the references! I already asked my friend what “Sotong” means, then was all “aha!” during the commercial break.

The dialogue is so funny and made me crack up many times – I love the evil teacher and Ow Ah Mee (Korean dramas hahaha) so much. The character customization thing at the beginning was great as well. That’s really cool the choices that are available to you depend on your stats – I also thought the option to lie was pretty interesting. There’s really great replayability in this game, since the choices can change so much and it’s not obvious to me what the “correct” answers would be or what stats I need to get them.

I am also impressed by the complexity of the characters and how realistic their problems were. Man, this game really deserves more attention. I feel like I could spend a long time playing it and figuring everybody out.

The minigames were pretty cute. I would’ve liked a little more explanation at the very beginning (e.g. “click the O when it appears”), but I eventually figured them out.

Though I really liked the humorous dialogue, I think the descriptions in the text sometimes get too wordy and lengthy. Maybe it would help to trim down the prose, and maybe break up the full text screens into multiple ones?

All-in-all, awesome game! I’m gonna go comment on the remake thread now. ;D

(Out of curiosity, what does PQRS stand for?)
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

KashyaCharsi
Regular

Re: PQRS the Game [School, Drama, Comedy, Romance]

#29 Post by KashyaCharsi »

I have written a little TvTropes page about it if you are interested.

badspeler
Regular

Re: PQRS the Game [School, Drama, Comedy, Romance]

#30 Post by badspeler »

Feel free to share the link here! :)