Magical Diary (Sim/RPG) [Commercial]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
RemnantDream
Veteran
Projects: Pickles and Strawberries

Re: Magical Diary (Sim/RPG) [Commercial]

#16 Post by RemnantDream »

Well, my birthday is on Saturday so I'll hopefully get some money :D
Anyway, I loved the demo. And Damien is amazing xD If/When I get this game, I am so stalking him.

Tachyglossus
Regular
Projects: Sprite Art for: "Final Banquet", "365 Days"

#17 Post by Tachyglossus »

....So cruel, ending the Demo right at the exam!

Er...

ANYWAY

I guess I just might have to shell out money for this. I'll withhold saying much until I've played the full version, but I will say that it has made a strong enough impression on me that I am fully willing to part with my money, and that is actually saying a lot.

Cain0425
Miko-Class Veteran

#18 Post by Cain0425 »

i want to know if in the next game you make of this for can you make more then 2 long hair when i pick what i want her to look like there was only 2 of the long hair and i really love have long hair but i did really like the look of the only 2 long hair you did have in the game

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by Riviera »

*obligatory beta tester pops up*

Make sure you guys are failing at things sometimes! You can get extra content for failing! :D
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#20 Post by azureXtwilight »

Riviera wrote:*obligatory beta tester pops up*

Make sure you guys are failing at things sometimes! You can get extra content for failing! :D

And whose path will that be? 8)

Also, who are gettable? Since there are so many girls and boys XD

Tachyglossus
Regular

#21 Post by Tachyglossus »

Well I certainly did not regret paying for this game!

I actually really like the detail gone into this as far as character interaction as far as indi games go! But then, I'm new to the inbdie industry, so maybe this is standard fare!

I played it through twice and each time I really enjoyed the routes I took.
I especially really liked the Grabby path. I found it proposed an interesting social dynamic without it being too hinky. But then, I'm a sucker for political/circumstantial marriages and how they effect either party. I think that loneliness and awkward feeling stemming from it, even before the secret got out, was handled well; the MC didn't constantly lament on it, but you could sense how she realized some doors were being shut in her face in terms of her own social life.I actually wasn't TRYING for the Porfessor (that's creepy) but once I realized my MC was in that situation, I actually had fun befriending him. I even liked how little things, like being exempt from the Pancake breakfast, were a result of a seemingly noble (but still rash) action. Nicely played!

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#22 Post by Riviera »

azureXtwilight wrote:
Riviera wrote:*obligatory beta tester pops up*

And whose path will that be? 8)

Also, who are gettable? Since there are so many girls and boys XD
Detention is one way of failing. Gives you more scenes with.. someone who gets in trouble a lot. Being a delinquent can pay off, ha!

Papillon, it okay to say who the gettables are?
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#23 Post by papillon »

Sure... It's a minor spoiler in some cases but we're on page 2, anyone that worried shouldn't peek this far in right? :)

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#24 Post by musical74 »

I love this game!!! Granted I haven't finished it yet but it is a HOOT! I love the *things aren't always as they seem* regarding Damien and William, and when you get demerits, who gives them to you varies DRASTICLY. I wonder why Grabby seems to enjoy handing out demerits so much...
Actually, is there a way to lessen demerits? Grabby gave me 10 before the first day and while it's hinted there's a way to remove them...I haven't seen that way show up! Also, for the tests, (I've taken two so far) would an increase in given color get better results? I was at 10 red when I took the first and did so so. Also...can you succeed in the exams if you avoid red and blue because Grabby's too much of a jerk and I want to avoid him?
My favorite bit so far...the date with Damien, he's DEEP!
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#25 Post by azureXtwilight »

musical74 wrote:
Actually, is there a way to lessen demerits? Grabby gave me 10 before the first day and while it's hinted there's a way to remove them...I haven't seen that way show up! Also, for the tests, (I've taken two so far) would an increase in given color get better results? I was at 10 red when I took the first and did so so. Also...can you succeed in the exams if you avoid red and blue because Grabby's too much of a jerk and I want to avoid him?
You just be damien's junior, follow the blue magic class, admit you write the letter... Yeah, that's it actually. TO SUCEED IN EXAMS, WELL... MASTER ALL SPELLS! Mwahaha XDD
Poor Donald, he's actually the one I try to get first! And I'm glad I did~

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#26 Post by papillon »

Generally you earn merits (which cancel out demerits) by impressing the professors.

That can mean doing well in exams, or volunteering for extra work, or doing other things that an upstanding young student ought to do.
If you skip the red and blue classes completely, you'll get a bit of a scolding for not exploring all your options, but it IS possible to do well in the exams without any red or blue spells at all.
For specific hints on how to get the best results in each exam, look at the "Dungeon X Spoilers" threads in my forum. There are a lot of solutions.

Tachyglossus
Regular

#27 Post by Tachyglossus »

I know I already commented here... but I want to comment again. I sat my sister down and made her play it and pretty much loomed over her shoulder (well not entirely, I busied myself with other things) and it was so much fun to see what she did differently and how she responded to things. She was regularily laughing, and found it very amusing. She wasn't sure what a Visual Novel or dating sim was, I just told her to play it and see for herself.

Although she was sort of hoping there'd be actual mini-games in the arcade. I told her that'd be a great way for me to waste all of my in-game allowance and real-life time, and was glad there weren't.

We both agree that we'd like to see this game have a sequel, or an expansion leading into the next few years... even though with multiple endings and so many variables, that would be a headache to pull off. I'd be just as happy to play another game in this setting with the same spell lists (MORE DUNGEONS! MORE!).

Oh, and the ability to graffiti the dungeon walls with inscription carrying over into different games was a nice touch.

I guess I COULD go say these things right in the forum for it... but I'm a lazy brat.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#28 Post by musical74 »

azure twilight: :P

One other thing I lilke about the game (actually, all of hanako's games that I've played)...how realistic the characters are as far as personality goes. There's doubt, there's anger, there's *is this really a good idea...?*, there's downright silly moments. I can relate to the main character, her roommates, William, Donald, Damien, the professors...I can relate to them all in some way :)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

ofdawnandtwilight
Miko-Class Veteran

#29 Post by ofdawnandtwilight »

I played an ending with Damien so far. Took a while to finish so I can't play the pc until tomorrow. Haha ^^;
May I know how many romance endings are there and how many endings do Damien have if you wouldn't mind.
And I actually tried to get Donald and Damien at the same time. xD
I enjoy the game too much! This is great!~ :D

retrozombi
Projects: Outrageous Fortune

#30 Post by retrozombi »

Failed out on my first try, and I have to say I was frustrated. At least I got a badge out of it. :D

The characters are so good and the relationships so compelling that I have to keep trying, and I think I know what I was doing wrong so I should be okay this time.

I adore the customization! I'm going to make my character different every time through simply because I can.