Kansei (Murder mystery, supernatural, commercial)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

Re: Kansei (Murder mystery, supernatural, commercial)

#16 Post by Mink »

jack_norton wrote:/my 2 cents on the bug:
I think both the C++ problem and this last one is related to the video playing - maybe is enough to add a button to skip it before it plays ? (I mean skipping the video completely so even the pre-loading). A test Miyuki can do is to save the game after the video played, exit the game and then reload and see if he/she still gets the C++ bug (if is the video shouldn't appear anymore).
Yeah, I imagine that (for me, at least) something with the video is causing the issue, because the demo plays perfectly fine up until that point. I find it more weird than anything, because I've never had that problem with Jisei.

For elaboration, in case it'll help: the music starts, but what must be where the video is supposed to play stays black, and then the music starts to skip like a CD and the demo freezes. All of which can't be more than 30 seconds.

And I want to watch the opening, goshdarnit.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#17 Post by sake-bento »

I finally managed to dig up a computer where I can replicate the problem, so I'll be trying to figure it out today. I used the same encoding I used for Jisei, so I don't know why it's not working this time around. Ah, computers, you are mysterious creatures. The current demos (and full versions) are without the OP, so if you do want to check out the demo safely, you can download the current one.

Also, the OP is on YouTube if you really want to watch it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhQhuNFnGVM
Muse wrote:Looks great! I loved the first one so I definitely will be getting this. If I may ask, what is it's length compared to Jisei?
It's about three times as long.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#18 Post by PyTom »

I'll note that it is very likely a bug in Ren'Py. I've had reports from others (especially the Cradle Song demo) of similar problems.

I will attempt to investigate this as soon as I can, but any information you can give me would be appreciated.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG

#19 Post by Mink »

Yep, demo works perfectly fine for me now. And thanks for the link, sake-bento.

Also, is it just me, or does "???" remind anyone of
the cat that predicted people's deaths? ...Which makes me want to draw him with cat ears now...

*Website, yo*

Zerix

#20 Post by Zerix »

So, I got all the endings, save for one and CG, which I think may be involved with the Locked in the Basement ending, which I never actually got. And now that I got the SD and Killer endings, I can't get Basement anymore! D: Either way, though, it was awesome. I think I've pieced together a lot of information about the character's origins that wasn't reveal blatantly in this game. I feel so proud of myself! XD Oh, I also went though one more time just to get the True Bad End, it was pretty debilitating, good job.
On another note, I think I've discovered ???/Kangai's real name, if the one Gurski blatantly shouts during the True End is anything to go by...? Is it? :P

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran

#21 Post by sake-bento »

Mink wrote:Also, is it just me, or does "???" remind anyone of
the cat that predicted people's deaths? ...Which makes me want to draw him with cat ears now...
I want to see that. O_O
Zerix wrote:So, I got all the endings, save for one and CG, which I think may be involved with the Locked in the Basement ending, which I never actually got. And now that I got the SD and Killer endings, I can't get Basement anymore! D: Either way, though, it was awesome. I think I've pieced together a lot of information about the character's origins that wasn't reveal blatantly in this game. I feel so proud of myself! XD Oh, I also went though one more time just to get the True Bad End, it was pretty debilitating, good job.
On another note, I think I've discovered ???/Kangai's real name, if the one Gurski blatantly shouts during the True End is anything to go by...? Is it? :P
Hehe, I'll let you draw your own conclusion on that one. ^_- The last CG is actually part of the epilogue, which should be unlocked after you get the true end.

Zerix

#22 Post by Zerix »

Yeah, i got that one. The one I'm missing is the third CG in the gallery.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran

#23 Post by sake-bento »

Zerix wrote:Yeah, i got that one. The one I'm missing is the third CG in the gallery.
When you tell Liam that his uncle is dead, tell him it was a heart attack. Instead of freaking out, he'll stick around for a while and you'll get a scene with him later on.

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#24 Post by DrakeNavarone »

Congrats on the release! This episode brings with it a few things to be thankful for: A label for our hero, the adorable addition of Li Mei, Naoki as himself and not an act, the return of Gurski, and the confirmation of a few vibes I picked up even as far back as that dev build of Jisei I looked over.

I'm really glad to see there's much more world building in this one, both subtle and overt. And it's really that mix of both heavy and light handed hinting that helps build up the intrigue and ramps up excitement for the rest of the series. You've really committed yourself to building a *series* with this one, and it deserves praise for that.

But consequently, that's also its biggest shortcoming. In a few ways, it feels like you focused too much on the big picture in Kansei that you forgot to make it a memorable episode. While the victim was important to the world you're creating, I'm unsure if the act and reasoning of the murder will turn out to be. In Jisei,
the revelation that Sara Blackmore was a corporate spy selling information carried weight all the way to the epilogue and created a dangling thread that'll loom over the whole series... in Kansei, the murder itself is just an inconvenience that hurries Liam's hand... the motive was ultimately too personal to the murderer to have bigger repercussions.
And with the endings themselves, the two non-true endings are actually much more interesting than the True End itself. It feels like you showed your hand too early in the other two routes that you left nothing to show in the True End. It didn't have the reward required of the time you as the author and I as the player put into it.
The differences between the goals and ends of the SD route and Killer route, and how the two parts come together when seperate was an interesting idea, almost 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors-esque, but it doesn't pay off in nearly the same capacity when 'merged' into the True Route. Having the hero not solve the murder in the True Route makes it rather anticlimactic.
I'll still be playing the next entry when it's out. You did right building interest for the overarching plot of the series. But I'll be paying much attention to the branching and how the True End turns out, hoping that the future entries overcome the shortcomings Kansei possesses.

And the outtakes were hilarious. I feel a little guilty saying it's my favorite part of the game, but it's too true.
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

Mirage
Veteran

#25 Post by Mirage »

^I second Drake's opinion in regards of the entire story.
I love the main casts, their stories, and their interaction. However, I can't say the same for the self-contained case itself. It felt underwhelming. It felt like a throwaway filler, with little substance. And the true end isn't as exciting as the other endings.
Anyway, I promise you a review. Here goes:
Positive:
- Characters. This one is so much better than Jisei, of which I have trouble identifying with them (due to lack of information). In Kansei, we are given a more clearer picture. I also welcome the addition of Aki and Li Mei. They made everything more interesting. I also enjoy their interaction.
- Art. Deji has improved a lot. The art style fits the story better here than Jisei.
- VA. Still good as ever.

Neutral:
- Music. Same as how I feel in Jisei. It's good to set the atmosphere, but none leaves a deep impression.
- Animation. The little animations added here and there are nice to see. But I suggest not to add them during conversation. It was quite distracting in Q&A section.

Mixed:
- Gameplay. Every time you enter a room, you need to click on "move" to go to another room. This is quite a hassle when you are supposed to move around all the time. I suggest having the ability to move around without the need of clicking "move".

- Story. Like I said earlier, I enjoy the story when it relates to our main characters. However, the case itself isn't as interesting. I'm also baffled that most endings actually spilled who the true murderer is, as if it isn't important. I was expecting a plot twist in the true end, but I was disappointed that the true end is merely a variation of one of the endings. For that matter, there's a lack of proper epilogue for Marissa and Sophia, so it felt a tad bit incomplete.

Also I'm having a hard time believing this: Mr. Auten is a paranoid guy. He made his house like a fortress, yet he kept people who have perfect motives to kill him under his roof. To be honest, that's a bit of a stretch, unless Mr. Auten is a crazy man like that.

Other:
- I had a good chuckle when I saw Space Needle in the animation. XD
- There's a photo that appears in the Opening. I thought it would be explained in the story, but so far I haven't found anything that mention it.
- Alex...I hope that's not what our hero's real name is. O_O'''
- Miko...I thought he will do something awesome considering he was featured heavily in cover and OP. ;o;
Despite my nitpicks, it's still a very enjoyable game. Would definitely be interested for the next installment. ^o^

P.S: Have you read Kindaichi Shonen no Jikenbo? The self contained case is very well-made, and it has the ability to move me with the murderer's situation and plight. I thought it might give you some inspirations. ^^

Cain0425
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by Cain0425 »

i have a hard time getting missing third CG in the gallery and i did what you saying be i still did get it little more help pls

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#27 Post by Wright1000 »

What I liked was the animation that was running (the view of the grasslands from inside the car) while the protagonist was going to the client's house.

Never knew that such an animation could be done in Ren'py!
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran

#28 Post by Mink »

sake-bento wrote:
Mink wrote:Also, is it just me, or does "???" remind anyone of
I want to see that. O_O
I'll probably end up drawing it at some point. (Unless you meant the actual cat, which was on the news...a few years back?)

Also, am I the only one who
got nothing on their first play through? I mean, I got the ending where you don't even solve it and the cops came.
/FAIL

I was reminded that, oh yeah, I suck at these sort of games. And I wasn't mad or anything, but I started laughing, because something like that happens to me every time I play a game like this the first time. Seriously, it never fails. XD

*Website, yo*

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#29 Post by Coren »

Found a bug. When Aki says "I don't suppose you could sneak in or something?" the voice isn't played.

Anyway, I got two endings so far:
The SD Card one where they all gather around the computer, and Kevin escapes
The one where Kevin holds Li Mei captive and the latter stabs him to death.
How do I get the others?

Miyuki
Regular
Completed: Culina: The Spirit of Cooking
Organization: TangerineTriangle

#30 Post by Miyuki »

jack_norton wrote:/my 2 cents on the bug:
I think both the C++ problem and this last one is related to the video playing - maybe is enough to add a button to skip it before it plays ? (I mean skipping the video completely so even the pre-loading). A test Miyuki can do is to save the game after the video played, exit the game and then reload and see if he/she still gets the C++ bug (if is the video shouldn't appear anymore).
Well, for me the first time I got the error was after the video and my last save file had been past that point too and I got it again so I don't think it's the video...

A friend bought me the full length version though so we'll see if I have any problems with that.