Kansei (Murder mystery, supernatural, commercial)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Staryu

Re: Kansei (Murder mystery, supernatural, commercial)

#31 Post by Staryu »

Being so impressed with your earlier titles, I've already bought it - without playing the demo. I'm in the middle of downloading and I cannot wait to play it!

Thanks for making these games, I loved Jisei and I'm convinced I'll love this just as much, if not more.

retrozombi
Projects: Outrageous Fortune

#32 Post by retrozombi »

Had a little trouble finding the full download on sakevisual.com. Finally hacked the URL. Paid for and downloading! Anxious to give it a spin. :)

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#33 Post by sake-bento »

@DrakeNavarone: Thank you so much for playing! Your comments on the first one really did help direct where I was going with this one, and I'll definitely take your comments into consideration as we go forward with the next chapter.
I was on the fence about making Kan not solve the case in the True End. I went with it because I was worried about making Gurski the "stupid detective" who never solves anything, but I definitely think that it took away from Kan more than I had intended.
It means a lot to me that you'd take the time to write all this and help me create something cool. Your support over these years has done more for me than you know. I'll do my best to make the next round even better. bo_o (And the outtakes are always my favorite part, so there's nothing to feel guilty about.)

@Mirage:
Definitely working on the exploration mechanic. Clicking directly on doors was difficult due to image maps only allowing rectangular shapes, and when we floated the direction arrows on every screen, it was pretty ugly. I'll definitely be trying to figure out a more efficient way to move around, though.

Jisei did a sort of poor job of establishing location, so I figured throwing in the Space Needle would be a pretty good hint. >.>;; In the "for what it's worth" department, Edgewater is basically alt. universe Seattle, not a fake city outside real Seattle.

The photo is more foreshadowing. In this case, it was more heavy-handed than Jisei's OP (which features Kangai's sister). I'll definitely be more subtle about it in the future. The characters in there ARE mentioned in the game, but not in a way that would make you automatically connect them with the photo.

For the name in the True End, I think I'm going to let everyone speculate on that one. XD
Thank you so much for the review! You've raised some really good points, and I'm honored that you'd take the time to help me as I move forward and hopefully make the next installment more compelling. I've seen some Kindaichi at the library. I'll go check it out (literally).

@Cain0425:
If you tell Liam his uncle died by heart attack, he'll stick around and Marissa will ask him for an interview. When you go back to that room later, Marissa will be gone. Liam says she went to the bathroom. Go talk to her in the bathroom and she'll talk about privacy concerns. After that, head back to see Liam, and you'll run into him on his way out. You can talk to him about his illegal activities, and Aki will eventually get involved and you'll get the third CG.
@Wright1000: Thanks! Just doing some experimentation with ATL. It's pretty flexible. You can look here for more info: http://renpy.org/doc/html/atl.html

@Mink: I would giggle very much to see Kangai with cat ears. It seems like it would be strangely adorable. And I got the "alone" ending on Star Ocean 3 three times in a row before I had to look up a walkthrough to get an actual ending with someone. I'm definitely fail at these types of games, too. >_>

@Kirroha: Thanks! I uploaded a fix. Just unzip that in the game directory. I've also updated the walkthrough to tell you how to get the third ending (and some bad ends if you're really curious).

@Miyuki: Hopefully it works out. If not, let me know, and we'll talk more.

@Staryu: ::blush:: Oh boy...I hope you enjoy it. Thank you so much for the vote of confidence!

@retrozombi: Yeah, I really need to update my site. D: I hope you enjoy the game!

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

#34 Post by ririruetoo »

Do you guys think you'll ever release actually copies of this game and Jisei? ( not just download)
ImageImageImage

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran

#35 Post by sake-bento »

We do sell physical copies at conventions. We don't have any online sales of physical releases yet because I'm trying to figure out how to handle shipping without crazy costs.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#36 Post by Coren »

Finished the True Ending. Perhaps my expectations were too high for it, but it didn't really live up that much to my expectations. ^^; And also, the questions I wanted most direly to be answered were not, though some were hinted (but I do like proper answers):
Why is Sophia relieved at Auten's death, yet so desperate to save him?
Why did Kevin kill Marissa in the SD card ending? Isn't Marissa also pissed off at Auten, and not to mention she's in the bathroom, not blocking his way to the exit in the museum.
Why was Auten so angry to see Kan in the beginning? Did he mistake him for Liam or something, since Kan did mention they looked similar?
What exactly happened with Kan and his sister?
Why is Auten so obsessed with Chinese stuff? Is it because of Shen Guan or something?
Why is there an SD card of Kan walking down the hallway, and what's so important about it?
Why is Li Mei so violent in one ending? Did she sponge in all the frantic emotions of that moment and explode or something?
I shan't ask about Chance and Liam since they're clearly teasers for the next games... But Chance is so my favourite character right now, because of how much potential she has for epicness. I hope she lives it up. XD

Random question: In 'Li Mei', is Li the surname (Chinese order), Mei the surname (Western Order), or is the whole thing just her given name?

Also, both culprits so far wear glasses.
And of course, I have theories:
Li Mei has split personality, born from all those emotions she was forced to bear.
Chance is Alex(?)'s sister. Because hey, if Kangai can dye his hair, so can she!
Chance is related to Liam, probably siblings?
Kangai harbors guilt over his sister's death. It might have been partially his fault, though unintentional.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#37 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Played it! Just got one ending though, and yesterday, the true ending walkthrough wasn't there.... ;____;
Li Mei in the Find the Killer ending is a bit creepy on my part O_O

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#38 Post by azureXtwilight »

Finished the game too! I really like the art and the voice acting, and kirro's post above is basically my questions too.

I feel like we didn't see the end of the other non-culprit there, and maybe we'll see more to Liam..

Mirage
Veteran

#39 Post by Mirage »

@ Sake

In regards of gameplay, I'm actually fine with the arrows, they are pretty straight-forward. I was talking about this: Let say you are in the front room, and you need to travel all the way to basement. You need to click "move" and the arrows to reach the hallway. And then click "move" again and an arrow to reach the stair case, and repeat it again until you reach the basement.

I think it's better if you can make it so that when I click "move", I can move around freely to any rooms without the need of clicking "move" again every time I reach a new room. I hope that makes sense. It's a bit hard to explain ^^'''

@ Kirroha
> Why was Auten so angry to see Kan in the beginning? Did he mistake him for Liam or something, since Kan did mention they looked similar?
> Why is there an SD card of Kan walking down the hallway, and what's so important about it?

I think these two are directly related. Mr. Auten panicked seeing Kan because he has been stalking Kan all this time. That SD card basically proves it. As for why he's stalking him...probably the answer won't be out until the next installment. But I got some idea since Kansei does throw quite a good amount of foreshadowing.
@ Azure
I doubt we're going to see Liam. The extra hinted that he's gonna kick the bucket very soon. Maybe he's the next case victim? lol.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#40 Post by azureXtwilight »

Mirage wrote:
@ Azure
I doubt we're going to see Liam. The extra hinted that he's gonna kick the bucket very soon. Maybe he's the next case victim? lol.
Eh, dead or alive, we'll see him XD

fathskie
Regular

#41 Post by fathskie »

Is this made with Ren'py?
btw you guys are my idol, ever since RE:Alistair++
I adore your work! ^^ I might be able to convince my husband to lend me his Paypal account so I can buy this ^^;; but I'm not sure, he never gets my passion for games -.-'

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran

#42 Post by sake-bento »

Kirroha wrote:Finished the True Ending. Perhaps my expectations were too high for it, but it didn't really live up that much to my expectations. ^^; And also, the questions I wanted most direly to be answered were not, though some were hinted (but I do like proper answers):
Mn, that's the danger of the series game. I'm looking for the balance between giving away too much and giving away too little. The True End does feel not as crazy as the other endings, though, so I understand the sort of let down feeling.

For the questions:
"Why is Sophia relieved at Auten's death, yet so desperate to save him?"
-Sophia doesn't like working for Mr. Auten. Everyone who works for him feels like they're being used, so she is relieved (to some extent) when he dies. Of course, his death is basically a death knell for her husband as well, so she still tries to keep him alive regardless.

"Why did Kevin kill Marissa in the SD card ending? Isn't Marissa also pissed off at Auten, and not to mention she's in the bathroom, not blocking his way to the exit in the museum."
-Marissa basically figures out that Kevin did it, so she confronts him and he kills her. If you leave her to her own devices, she still investigates the case on her own. The only way to save her is to work with her, basically.

"Why was Auten so angry to see Kan in the beginning? Did he mistake him for Liam or something, since Kan did mention they looked similar?"
-Mirage has the answer for you here.

"What exactly happened with Kan and his sister?"
-Things happened. >.>;; That's definitely slated for a later release. There are a lot of hints in his discussions with Gurski and Kevin, though, and Jisei actually tells you a pretty important bit, too.

"Why is Auten so obsessed with Chinese stuff? Is it because of Shen Guan or something?"
-Pretty much. More details on that later. A lot of Jisei is based on Chinese mythology (although I have other reasons for using a Japanese title), so it'll come up quite a bit.

"Why is there an SD card of Kan walking down the hallway, and what's so important about it?"
-Mirage's answer, again. ^_-

"Why is Li Mei so violent in one ending? Did she sponge in all the frantic emotions of that moment and explode or something?"
-It does have a bit to do with her kansei, but it's more about other aspects of her. Everyone else already knows, which is why no one wants to talk about her when you ask. Aki does slip more information about her than she probably should, though. Eee...that wasn't really a straightforward answer at all. D:

"I shan't ask about Chance and Liam since they're clearly teasers for the next games... But Chance is so my favourite character right now, because of how much potential she has for epicness. I hope she lives it up. XD"
-I like Chance a lot, too. I think she's been the most fun character to plan the story for.

"Random question: In 'Li Mei', is Li the surname (Chinese order), Mei the surname (Western Order), or is the whole thing just her given name?"
-Her given name is just Li Mei. She doesn't have a family name.

"Also, both culprits so far wear glasses."
-I also seem to enjoy putting dead women in bathrooms. I should probably cut that out. XD Actually, the design thing is just a coincidence. Deji does all the character designs, and I don't tell her which one the killer is until afterwards.
Not going to confirm or deny your theories, but you are on the right track, and you've been asking all the right questions, so I'm pretty excited right now. XD
azureXtwilight wrote:I feel like we didn't see the end of the other non-culprit there, and maybe we'll see more to Liam..
There's definitely more Liam happening, although I won't say how just yet. >___>
Mirage wrote:@ Sake

In regards of gameplay, I'm actually fine with the arrows, they are pretty straight-forward. I was talking about this: Let say you are in the front room, and you need to travel all the way to basement. You need to click "move" and the arrows to reach the hallway. And then click "move" again and an arrow to reach the stair case, and repeat it again until you reach the basement.

I think it's better if you can make it so that when I click "move", I can move around freely to any rooms without the need of clicking "move" again every time I reach a new room. I hope that makes sense. It's a bit hard to explain ^^'''
Hm, I definitely understand the annoyance. I'll play around and see what sort of system I can come up with.
fathskie wrote:Is this made with Ren'py?
btw you guys are my idol, ever since RE:Alistair++
I adore your work! ^^ I might be able to convince my husband to lend me his Paypal account so I can buy this ^^;; but I'm not sure, he never gets my passion for games -.-'
Yup! All built in Ren'py. Ah, the life of the game lover is fraught with misunderstanding. Thank you very much for enjoying our work. ^-^

Miyuki
Regular
Completed: Culina: The Spirit of Cooking
Organization: TangerineTriangle

#43 Post by Miyuki »

I still can't get it to work on my XP. It always dies when Naoki shows up with coffee. I tried uninstalling the demo and the main game and disabling my firewall and a bunch of those combos but I couldn't get it to work. I'm not so sure it's not my computer though so I'm just playing it on my other computer as of like, right now. Oh! But something I noticed from that was that I thought you were supposed to be able to load the save files from the demo but after I uninstalled the demo it said I couldn't load the save files with the main game because they were demo files. It just seemed a little weird.

The thing I'm worried about is that I've been trying to take screencaps and I don't have any. Every time I press "s" it gives me the exact same file name and location but when I try to go to the location it's non-existent.

What it says is:

Saved screenshot as C:\Program Files (x86)\Kansei/screenshot0001.png And that one's annoying me because even though I got the game I wanted to do a review anyway...

I think the main problem is the fact that the location seems to be /screenshot.png for some reason.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran

#44 Post by sake-bento »

The demo saves should definitely be compatible. O_o But I'll ask about that. For screencaps, could you use the computer's print screen function instead? (Or rename a file as soon as it's been captured?) I know both of the options are more of a hassle, but I haven't done anything to touch the engine's print screen capabilities, so I really wouldn't know how to fix that. D:

Zumi
Regular

#45 Post by Zumi »

Uh, I just tested screencapping with the demo version, and it definitely works.
"screenshot[number].png" is the filename of the screencap.
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Kansei" (the folder where the game is installed) is the location where the screencaps are located. They should be there?

Not sure why it would work in the demo and not the actual game.