Am I...

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Omnix
Regular
Completed: Am I ...

Am I...

#1 Post by Omnix »

"Am I..." is my first Visual Novel which I made wanting to know Ren'Py better and find if it's possible for me to make any kind of visual novel. I find it hard to connect this VN to any genre, but I thinks it's closest to the Horror or Thriller.

Story:
You just came back from work, tired and happy, as your holiday finally starts. As you decide to sit down, read your favourite book and have a chillout session, you unconsciously fall asleep. Where will you wake up ? What will happen ?

A Visual Novel
30-40 minutes playtime
16+ for violence, and brief language
4 endings (you decide, whether they are good or bad)

Direction and Writing: Omnix
Art : Omnix
Music: Alla Camera Choir, Omnix
Proofreading : Taleweaver (Thank you again !)
Beta-Testing: Zapomnialem, BerserkMisza007, Algerion
Engine: Ren'Py

Art is 100% done by my, that is why it is so terrible. But I thought that it might somehow fit the atmosphere.
In my next project I want to involve my friend which has much more talent than I have.

I'm waiting for all kinds of critique as I want to get better in every aspect !
Waiting for comments, doesn't matter whether good or bad :3 !

Download links (updated)

Windows Version (donwloadable from forum or website, whichever you prefer):
http://speedy.sh/Cj9qb/Am-I...-win32.zip

I hope you will like it !
Attachments
Am I...-win32.zip
Windows version of the game
(48.55 MiB) Downloaded 1105 times
Last edited by Omnix on Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:53 am, edited 4 times in total.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: Am I...

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

Omnix wrote:A Kinetic Novel
4 endings (you decide, wheter they are good or bad)
And that is why this is not a kinetic novel :)
I hope you will like it !
They will. I liked it even when proofreading it!
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Omnix
Regular

#3 Post by Omnix »

Done !
Thanks for pointing that out :3 I must have been thinking about other things when writing it.
And again thanks for all hard work you have done, because of my mistake :) !

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#4 Post by Wright1000 »

Taleweaver proofread this project???
I can't believe that someone like him proofread this project and there were still some spelling mistakes.
Even in the credits, the spelling of "Taleweaver" the name of the proofreader himself is wrong. It is written "Talewaver".
Last edited by Wright1000 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#5 Post by azureXtwilight »

Actually, it can mean someone who "weave" tales.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/weave
2 make (a complex story or pattern) from a number of interconnected elements:he weaves colourful, cinematic plots
(weave something into) include an element in (such a story or pattern):interpretative comments are woven into the narrative
I'm sorry if I write this, but I am a bit disturbed...

*I am downloading this game now*

Omnix
Regular

#6 Post by Omnix »

If there are any mistakes they are mine, and credits were done after proofreading, so everything is my fault !
Making things straight now !

Links are updated. Now there is updated version with corrected spelling and credits.
Some of the spelling mistakes, are not mistakes at all, as there are differences between US and UK spellings, like "realise" and "realize", both are correct forms.
Taleweaver, I am terribly sorry for speeling your nickname wrong, after all things you have done to help me !

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#7 Post by Taleweaver »

As there don't seem to be too many comments right now, I'll start with my impressions...

"Am I..." really stands out in terms of sound effects. The game is genuinely creepy not just because of the bizarre situations you encounter, but especially because of the great FX. Its visuals may look a little sketchy, even amateurish, but they add to the surreality of the entire situation.

The four paths to the endings are, at first glance, not that different from one another, but when you see what each of them turns out to be, they are actually much more elaborate that they originally seem. The four endings can be understood as four different interpretations of the plot, and they are all good for a few minutes of philosophical reflection.

Of course, the true ending is the one that doesn't exist in this game. It goes...

Am I...
the protagonist of a Visual Novel?
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Lotus
Veteran
Projects: Unnamed Slenderman VN, Secret 10560

#8 Post by Lotus »

This was definitely an interesting game I would recommend to horror fans (which I know plenty of). The ending that affected me the most had to be
where the protagonist killed Yoko. Immediately after "he woke up" (got back in the real world), I knew what had really happened and I was going "Oh god no, Oh god, oh god, oh god D8 ".
However, I like Taleweaver's ending the best xD
Taleweaver wrote: Of course, the true ending is the one that doesn't exist in this game. It goes...

Am I...
the protagonist of a Visual Novel?
If there were spelling mistakes in this, they didn't affect game play at all. I do suggest for your next game choose a different font, and maybe spruce up the menu a bit. A little customization can get rid of the "default Ren'py game" look, which I felt took away from the horror a bit.

Omnix
Regular

#9 Post by Omnix »

Wrote down, everything you said guys, I'll use every piece of advice in future !

Thanks for playing and as this is my first project It does not fully uses possibilities which Ren'py gives.
I was thinking, if making another project is good idea, but giving a try won't do any harm. I will try to do my best !

Menu's are default as I'm not good enough with Ren'Py yet, to change them. But I've read a lot recently, so next time, I'll do my best to make them better.

When it comes to art, as I wrote before. I'm not an artist at all, and they are amateurish, but I thought, that having them in such surreal world, is not bad idea at all. But next time, I want to ask my friend, who is much better in drawing than me.

Thanks for playing the game and commentary of yours.

Melinoe
Regular

#10 Post by Melinoe »

This game scared the heck out of me, honestly. If you used one of those pop-out-of-the-game-and-give-you-a-heart-attack things, I'd be so screwed. The lack of BGM really gave off creepy vibes. Of course, if you used scary music like this I'd probably pee my pants and close the window. (It's scarier when you have your earphones on and aren't prepared for it at all.) But I'm a huge chicken, anyway, in you haven't already noticed.

Anyway, when
you see the man thing and you run away, you see the wolf. But before that, you say, "I'm a coward." And since the wolf has the negative endings, was that some kind of social commentary on how cowards don't get happy-ish endings? Okay, I highly doubt that, but I'm just wondering. (I'll admit it: I ran away.)
But I think there was too little explanation as to why he was
in the white nightmare-land. I guess each of the endings was kind of an explanation, but how would being a murderer or dead would explain why he was there? Or maybe it was the dream that made you dead or a murderer? I guess you could say he was sleepwalking (That kind of thing is possible, if you didn't know. You dream about choking a thief that broke into your house, but you actually choke your wife.), but I don't really understand how he died... Also, I don't mean to offend you, at all, but I totally get it if you don't know why either. And if you do, congratulations. You are now better at plotting than me. :D (Because that's such a huge feat.)
Also, I lol'd when
you woke up and found out you were stabbing yourself with pins while someone was calling the doctor, and the question "Am I mental?" flashed across the screen on big letters. Gee, you just had a dream where you were in the crucifixion position and a black robot thing ripped off your limbs repeatedly, and you were simultaneously stabbing yourself with pins in real life. Are you mental? That, there, is a mighty hard question. :mrgreen:
You know, I can't look at your avatar and not flinch. I mean,
the wolf had the bad endings, but the faceless man thing was definitely the scariest.
This game was good. A sends-shivers-up-your-spine level of good. It was simple, but it was the simplicity that made it scary.

And one last (and pretty pointless) thing: It kind of surprised me that
there was no ending where he was running in the whiteness forever. Was that too cliché?
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like." Lemony Snicket, The Slippery Slope

Aquane
Veteran

#11 Post by Aquane »

Wow @_@ I finished all endings just now, I gotta say.. it was pretty good. I mean, it just made me think.. a lot xD and I'm not even sure why. Maybe because it was just so bizzare, but I was on the edge of my seat! Very good game, for how short it is, really good. One thing I found that you overdid was his inner thoughts. I think you over explained some things, how he was feeling or describing either the man or wolf in the situations. Thats all I really have to say thats slightly negative :P buut it did keep me wanting even more!
Great job~

Omnix
Regular

#12 Post by Omnix »

Thanks for Comments
Melinoe wrote:Anyway, when
you see the man thing and you run away, you see the wolf. But before that, you say, "I'm a coward." And since the wolf has the negative endings, was that some kind of social commentary on how cowards don't get happy-ish endings? Okay, I highly doubt that, but I'm just wondering. (I'll admit it: I ran away.)
It's not like that.
When I was writing the story, and thinking what would I do on my own, I would also run away, so am I a coward ? Is it possible to be a coward is such situation ? And if you look at "Shape" Endings, only one is good let's say.
About why he was in the white world. When you dream, whether in the middle of the night, or you take a nap in the middle of the day, Did you notice, that everything in your dream is true and normal for you. Even if you boss in the office, will be a pink elephant, it will be allright for you, because when you are sleeping you are not thinking 100% logically. That's why I haven't wrote a thing, why he is there. One option is vision of a psychopath, the rest are pretty much dreams. That's why he never thought about it, for him it did not matter at all. It was normal for him, after few seconds of dream. And about dying in the dream, there were few cases, where people died when dreaming, as simply, the images they had were so realistic for them that they believed they really died, then the real body died as well. And killing Yoko, you're right, sleepwalking, nothing more.
And I won't lie, that the endless running ending, haven't crossed my mind, but it's a really good idea !

About his thoughts:
The ending where you were crucified and your body was ripped off piece by piece, was based on my dream. I remember this dream quite well and also I remember how I felt right after i woken up. I was shivering and simply wasn't able to get normal for 10 or 15 minutes. But the thing is, when I was dreaming, and shade was coming to me, then ripping me apart, I had a loads of thoughts during the whole dream. Most of them are in the game and few are made up. I thought, that as I had so many thoughts in this dream I would probably act the same, in the rest of endings, as they are bizzare as well. But thanks for your support. Got it written down, less inner thoughts for the next project. THANKS !
Thanks for playing and giving me advices. I'll do my best to get better !

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#13 Post by azureXtwilight »

Finally finished it. It was great and it scared me to death which is good because even Saya no Uta fails to scare me >D

The stabbing one... was actually a bit brilliant part in my opinion. It somehow captures the mind of a psycho...
Looking forward to see more games from you

ElviraNyx

#14 Post by ElviraNyx »

Aww, the
One when he stabbed Yoko
was very sad :( It's a good game, Keep up the good work! :)
Last edited by ElviraNyx on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dott.Piergiorgio
Veteran

#15 Post by dott.Piergiorgio »

Dl' it. seems interesting, albeit I dislike horror plots (albeit that the last horror VN I played was horrific in another sense.... ;) )

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.