NagiQ (Commercial)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
john hae
Regular

NagiQ (Commercial)

#1 Post by john hae »

Title
NagiQ

Developer
IKIGames

Description
NagiQ is a family-friendly, challenging word game. In NagiQ, you think of English words and place them on a board,
trying to connect to some special, mystic letters. You will complete a level when no unconnected mystic letter
remains on the board. And that’s it for the gameplay. There are more than 100 levels grouped into 5 islands
(and each island introduces variations to the basic gameplay.)

Game Genre
Word game

Levels

Story
Oh no! Nagi was playing soccer and the ball hit his grandparent’s mystic book.
Now the mystic letters are scattered throughout his world’s islands.
Please help him to recover the mystic letters.
Special Features
  • * NagiQ includes a hint system. In exchange for some cookies the game can fill some selected cells
    of the board with a word for you.

* Also, in exchange for a few cookies you can undo your last movement.

* If a board contains a cell with extra cookies try to catch them by placing your word on the board
    such that one of your word’s letters lies over the cell with the cookies.

* NagiQ has a Hall of Fame for top scores.

* NagiQ can award up to 8 trophies to a player. Each trophy represents a game’s achievement.
    For example, the “Trophy of 2″ is awarded when the player conquers 2 mystic letters on the board with a single word.

* The player will also receive bonus score and cookies when making a really good movement
    (e.g., placing a long word on the board)
Demos
NagiQ demo for Windows
NagiQ demo for Mac
NagiQ demo for Linux
Thanks to the wonderful people on this forum. You've always had an answer to all of my questions. Thank you very much.

Responsibility for any error, of course, is entirely our own. Please, don't hesitate to contact me if you spot a bug or if you have any comment. Thanks for your attention.
Last edited by john hae on Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
IKIGames. Follow us on Twitter: @superikigames.

Kyminara
Regular

Re: NagiQ

#2 Post by Kyminara »

Wow, this was all done in Ren'py?

I tried the demo, and I don't see any bugs to report. However, some of the accepted words seem a bit weak. The game accepted both "anti" (prefix only) and "tom" (person's name) as valid words. What dictionary source does it use?

This kind of game looks perfect for my niece.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by SusanTheCat »

From dictionary.com:
anti (noun) - a person who is opposed to a particular practice, party, policy, action, etc
tom (noun) - the male of various animals, as the turkey.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

john hae
Regular

#4 Post by john hae »

Thanks for your time and for your comments. First, yes, NagiQ was totally done in Ren'Py. Further, we've tried to be kind of broad with the accepted words, as the game turns a bit difficult in later levels and having a longer list of valid words helps a lot.

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#5 Post by Fawn »

Aww I love this! I used to play word puzzles all the time as a kid. Congrats on your release! :D

Kyminara
Regular

#6 Post by Kyminara »

SusanTheCat wrote:From dictionary.com:
anti (noun) - a person who is opposed to a particular practice, party, policy, action, etc
tom (noun) - the male of various animals, as the turkey.

Susan
Okay, I can understand tom as a male turkey, but then I also tried Michael, Alice, Anna, Lisa, and Orville. Every first name I could think of ended up as a valid word. Tom was just one example.

As for the word anti-, I guess it's more widely accepted than I thought. Personally, I would never expect to see someone referred to as just plain anti. Trying re- got the same reaction, but just like Fe and Al (also accepted by the game), it has a dictionary entry just for being a symbol on the periodic table of elements.
john hae wrote:Thanks for your time and for your comments. First, yes, NagiQ was totally done in Ren'Py. Further, we've tried to be kind of broad with the accepted words, as the game turns a bit difficult in later levels and having a longer list of valid words helps a lot.
Oh, that makes sense. :D

The game looks really nice. It's great to see more stuff like this coming from Ren'py.

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Tortichki // Zayay // Hero's Spirit
Deviantart: psyalera
itch: psyalera

#7 Post by Alera »

For some reason- I can't download the Win demo. QAQ No- it downloads actually, but it won't open, telling me that "The setup files are corrupted" Khhh.

Looks very impressive from the screenshots and videos though! I like this kind of games, I wanna play so much! >w<
Games:
❤️ Zayay [Otome?][BxPlayer][NaNo 2013]
❤️ Tortichki [Drag&Drop mini game]

Other games I've worked on:
My Heart's Flame Emissary of Starlight Freedom From Silence Sickness
And many more unannounced/secret projects. (. .)

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#8 Post by Blue Lemma »

john hae wrote:First, yes, NagiQ was totally done in Ren'Py.
Do you mind if I ask why? I'm a strong proponent of "whatever works", but I doubt I'm alone in thinking it's an unusual choice here.

Nice graphics, btw.
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

john hae
Regular

#9 Post by john hae »

Alera wrote:For some reason- I can't download the Win demo. QAQ No- it downloads actually, but it won't open, telling me that "The setup files are corrupted" Khhh.
Please, try to download it again. We had a few server problems yesterday. Thank you for your comment!
Blue Lemma wrote:
john hae wrote:First, yes, NagiQ was totally done in Ren'Py.
Do you mind if I ask why? I'm a strong proponent of "whatever works", but I doubt I'm alone in thinking it's an unusual choice here.
We've been using Ren'Py for rapid prototyping. In fact, we've already completed two educational projects starting from prototypes built with Ren'Py (and later implemented in C++). Specifically, I love the clear separation between logic and UI promoted by Ren'Py's screen language. Screen language + transforms are a really powerful combination. For NagiQ, we started with a Ren'Py prototype too. However, our first tests revealed that the game was responsive enough and no performance lags were noticed. So we decided to fully implement NagiQ in Ren'Py.

Further, NagiQ is a 2D word game, and Ren'Py provides wonderful support for 2D graphics and for text. I think "unusual" would be doing a 3D racing game in Ren'Py, but I wouldn't dare to tag it as an impossible task.

In short, Ren'Py is very powerful. That's why.

Thanks to all for your comments.

john hae
Regular

Re: NagiQ (Commercial)

#10 Post by john hae »

This thread brings me back some fond memories. NagiQ was our first game, and we learned quite a lot during the process. In retrospective, building a word game with RenPy was a great decision: RenPy's cross-platform abilities allowed for painless deployment on several operating systems. That's wonderful for starters! And the ATL! And the Screen language! RenPy is such a fine piece of software :D