Infinite Game Works

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

Infinite Game Works

#1 Post by Counter Arts »

coverFinal_withLogo-med.jpg
coverFinal_withLogo-med.jpg (114.15 KiB) Viewed 10252 times
Play the role of Justin a high school student as he embarks on his dream journey to become a game developer. Having just won a programming contest he enlists the aid of Cleo the artist and Aki the music composer. How will the team grow and take on the hardships along the way?
Features

- Indie game management-sim
- Manage funding, game ideas and your team
- Multiple endings
- Multiple growth paths for team member
- Discover the story behind each member

Find out more here.

http://sakurariver.ca/main/infinite-game-works
Fading Hearts is RELEASED
http://www.sakurariver.ca

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Infinite Game Works

#2 Post by fleet »

I wish you success with your commercial release.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by SusanTheCat »

Awesome!

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

Elze
Veteran
Tumblr: Poepii

#4 Post by Elze »

OMG THE ARTTTT O___O
Ack. No demo. Will you guys be releasing one? There isn't enough info or screenshots about the game to make me part with my money just yet.

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#5 Post by SilverxBlue »

Oh, God! Me WANTS
I'm definitely setting $15 aside. I think my new eyeglasses can still wait. ^^;
And I agree with Elze on the whole demo thing, I think I want to see a bit of the gameplay mechanics before I buy it.
Last edited by SilverxBlue on Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#6 Post by Wright1000 »

In my opinion, when you make a commercial game, three things are very important.
1. The game should have a demo.
2. The game should have an official website.
3. The game should have original graphics, music and story.

This game doesn't have the first one. So, I don't think I will buy this.
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

Funnyguts
Veteran

#7 Post by Funnyguts »

-generic 'as I pray' joke-

Looks interesting, although even if there was a demo I wouldn't buy it due to being completely out of money. Maybe once I get a job, I'll check it out.

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#8 Post by Blane Doyle »

I'll save up the money to get this. I would prefer a demo to make sure it runs on my computer, but I am already interested enough to get it myself. But for other, as at least two people have stated before, putting a game out without one isn't a particularly good idea if it's an indie game.

ReeikaMichaelis

#9 Post by ReeikaMichaelis »

I'm sure I will cry whatever I choose the path.
It's almost finished downloaded now, I can't wait!

The work looks amazing, keep doing!! 83 :D
" Don't be stupid; be creative~ "

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#10 Post by TsukiShima »

Oh, my, goodness.

I wish I can buy this, even just looking at the art look promising already. I'll support this game, but that as far as I can do. I don't have any credit card, so I can't buy any commercial games. All the best.
I'm sure this game can go far.

lunanight

#11 Post by lunanight »

hmm, I'm not sure if I should buy this game or not, I usually judge a game based on what everyone else thought of it, and that includes the story and art, but so far not many comments on this game, anyone who was finished playing? since there is no demo to help me decide.
"I might break or I might wither. But right now, in your arms, I bloom like a flower..."

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#12 Post by PyTom »

I bought and played through this game a couple of nights ago.

There were a bunch of things I liked about it. The whole "game about creators" concept appeals to me - it appealed to me in Comic Party, and it appeals to me that much more here, when the team is working on creating Visual Novels. The game seems to be about the right size - there's not a huge amount of story here, but it feels like it's enough when balanced with the simulation element. It took me an evening to play the game through to an ending.

I genuinely liked the girls and their arcs. Unlike many games, where the game seems to end right as the characters get to know each other, this one actually throws some conflict at them and lets them help each other with it - and it's that help that gets them together. The game takes place over a year, and the characters change over that year, so that's nice.

The story segments feed back into the simulation, which prevents the "Two-games-in-one" effect you see in some of the other simulations. I didn't notice any feedback in the other direction. It could have been there, but it wasn't very noticeable, and you wind up talking about in the simulation.

The main simulation aspect consists of allocating your time, and the time of the two girls, to different aspects of a game development project, such as programming, art, music, game design, etc. The characters also need to be rested to ensure they stay healthy. There are other bits of the simulation, like picking which game to make and how many copies to order, but these don't really factor much into gameplay. There's a money aspect, as well, but in my playthrough, I fairly quickly had more money then I needed, to the point where I (Tom) felt guilty about how little I was paying my workers. At defined time periods, you sell the game (and older games) at a convention.

A problem is that the simulation uses an overly granular timescale. There are two time periods a day to manage, and (IIRC) more than 80 days between some of the conventions. The result is a lot of decision making, with little of it being meaningful. You almost always want to do the same thing you did yesterday, but even when you don't, you can freely switch things - the result is that there's no constraint in giving each task exactly the time you need. The result is that you can easily rest a girl for a couple of days, then give her more work.

There's 3-4 clicks per turn, minimum. So you wind up with a lot of clicking that feels kind of repetitive, with the story keeping you there despite that. In my opinion, the game would have been better (less repetitive, and with more meaningful decisions) if the time periods had been longer - maybe a week? There's a balance to be struck, as you want the user to "earn" the story events, but IMO there was a lot of busywork here.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't quite understand how to allocate time between game aspects, other than trying to maximize the "doneness" of each one.

You also wind up having to do a surprising amount of scrolling, as important information about things like game progress is often hidden behind scrollbars.

There's another plot
involving some sort of conspiracy and the kidnapping of the PoV character, and resulting in what seemed like good endings being turned into, at best, melancholy endings. This plot doesn't seem developed enough to me, and seems a bit out of place, to the point of not making a lot of sense.
Thankfully, we only encounter this plot intermittently, until the very end - after we get some resolution to the girls' stories. But it's still feels very different from the rest of the game, somewhat superfluous, and hurts the endings.

What we have here is a game with a lot of busywork and some out of place story elements, but one with a basically good game mechanic and story.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#13 Post by Counter Arts »

I believe Tom's review is a pretty fair one.

Juggling the different potential personalities was kinda tricky. There is something very dangerous yet very tempting to do in the plot that would have made writing it a complete nightmare. It was very good thing that I had some basic sense of combinatorics to make sure I didn't do that. There is theoretically a way that does make it tolerable but only from crunching some numbers in some interesting ways.

For the overly granular or "too much clicking" issue I did feel that. I really wanted to allow the player to have a fine granularity since smaller teams should be able to mostly turn on a dime. I only figured out how to do it with less clicking till after I released the patches.
Fading Hearts is RELEASED
http://www.sakurariver.ca

redpandastudio
Regular
Completed: Curse of Slate Rock Manor, The Host Holic, Nowhere Safe 1 & 2
Projects: Harvest Festival: All Signs
Organization: VisualNovelGames.com

#14 Post by redpandastudio »

I didn't think that there was too much clicking in this game. I think that overall the game is really quite fun, and would encourage people to at least try it once the demo comes out.

Some people have said that they made too much money too easily, but the first time that I played, I failed to order enough games and actually had to start over because I couldn't afford to continue.

Compared to a lot of other games out there right now, I think that it's actually pretty great.

@Counter Arts - Is there an estimated release date for the demo? Also, it would help if this post was tagged as commercial.
~Lex

Please note I did receive a press copy of this title.

victorita9
Regular

#15 Post by victorita9 »

Pytom i see you were able to get the code in order to get the full ending. Could you send it to me? I have no idea what it is and it's really killing my enjoyment of the game.