MAN-AT-ARMS

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

MAN-AT-ARMS

#1 Post by Wright1000 »

After five years of hard training in the school, you are finally a knight. Fight bandits, protect your village, rescue your loved ones, or do illegal things like kidnapping a princess.

The Combat Engine has been encoded by me. Ninjagrass helped me with the health bars.

The Story is original, written by me. The dialogues are mine, and Applegate helped me by making them more colorful.

The Weapon Buying System has been encoded by me.

Artwork is from many free resources. The sprites used were made by Celianna.

Music is from Kevin Macleod's website.

Playtesting was done by DaFool.

Remember that in this game, you'll see bad endings only if you are defeated in a combat.

Screenshots:

Download here.
Last edited by Wright1000 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: MAN-AT-ARMS

#2 Post by SusanTheCat »

Interesting game. The artwork was well done and the music fit the game.

I am not a fan of that particular dialogue style. Very grandiose and bigger than big. Other than that, the writing was ok.

The combat engine and the buying system worked well. The only comment I would make is that there is a lot of clicking. Maybe some of the screens of dialogue could be combined.

I wasn't happy with the combat difficulty. I would think that a knight with 5 years training could easily take down a bandit. I never got the feeling I was actually affecting combat. And why does he always take 40 points of damage regardless of what I do?

I gave up after my second time through because of the combat. I didn't know what anything did and I died after three rounds anyway.
I also didn't like that rape was being talked about in a casual manner. The dialogue made it sound like it was on par with stealing someone's chicken. Of the women I know that have been raped and the people around them that knew, none of them would talk about it so bluntly. I think you would have been better to just say that the sister had been carried off and imply that she was raped.

I almost quit the game completely when the subject first came up. I continued only because I wanted to give you a review.

It is your game. And in this scenario, rape is certainly a possibility. Just understand that you will turn people off.
It is a nice solid game. A few tweaks to balance out the combat system or maybe some instructions would raise the level of the game.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#3 Post by Wright1000 »

Sorry, but I didn't mean to offend any girl
by talking about rape in the game.
SusanTheCat wrote:I wasn't happy with the combat difficulty. I would think that a knight with 5 years training could easily take down a bandit. I never got the feeling I was actually affecting combat. And why does he always take 40 points of damage regardless of what I do?
When you fight the guard, you have a very low chance of successfully counter attacking. So, try dodging.
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

ninjagrass
Regular
Projects: To Love Ru Trial Trouble, Bleach Battle Ignition, A new secret project...

#4 Post by ninjagrass »

Congrats on releasing the game. One of your best works.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by SusanTheCat »

Wright1000 - No offense taken. The subject is just a REALLY BIG button with me.

You're right about the dodging. Thanks for the tip.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas