Love & Life (GxB, BxG, Friendship)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Thelo
Regular

Re: Love & Life (GxB, BxG, Friendship)

#16 Post by Thelo »

I've just played Love & Life, and wanted to say that I found it pretty enjoyable, thanks facades! I found it especially interesting to have two different playable characters (of opposite genders!) who both interact with the same people, it was a cool way to get to know all the characters better. I'm especially impressed that you could achieve this within a mere two weeks, congrats!

About the use of Japanese, the main parts that seemed actively out of place were at the festival: the shiritori word game scene and the candy apples scene. I personally happen to know enough of the language to be able to follow, but it did seem kind of gratuitous, in the sense that these scenes could have worked just as well in 100% English.

facades
Regular

#17 Post by facades »

Thanks for commenting, Thelo ! :) I'm really glad you found it enjoyable to play as both Kenta and Hina. I think that everyone, regardless of your gender, can play both Kenta's and Hina's stories even though they are BxG and GxB respectively. All of them are short romance stories with only a difference in the POV. (:
Actually I started thinking about the project on 29th October and spent two weeks sketching and making a demo for this game. I was still using a mouse to draw the sprites and pictures for the Demo. Progress was slow.. And then I took a hiatus because of school and resumed working on the project in December. Someone gave me a tablet as an early Christmas present ( Yay :) ) and I could work faster and finished the project on 10th December. It's about 4 weeks in total.. Not really 2 weeks.. But rushing up a visual novel was an interesting experience..I drew and coloured non-stop until my arms ached :P But it was fun (: Maybe excluding the editing part..

I see..alright thanks (: I'll take note of the issue with the languages and only use Japanese when necessary.
Hmm.. shiritori does require Japanese words in order to play it..
But I understand what you mean about the other two scenes. (:
Last edited by facades on Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaypee_1
Regular

#18 Post by jaypee_1 »

There was one thing I was trying to avoid when writing Kenta's story...
And that was monologues. I realised how difficult it is to write from a guy's POV (without sounding too girlish) when making this visual novel. (x
Ok I understand I only chose the male character anyway, regarding his actions I found him to be careless like asking the girl for
marriage
just to help her with her burden and after dating the girl just once 0.0 .
My favourite path for Kenta is Asami & Shizuko :wink:
Thanks for playing!
will try that :lol:

facades
Regular

#19 Post by facades »

I was contemplating about the same thing when I was writing the story.
There was the option of telling her "I'm not serious and I was just trying to save you." in the game.
That ending may be a more realistic one than the 'happy ending'.
Maybe you could treat it as one of those fairytale stories where the prince meets the princess for the first time,
kisses her awake from her sleep and then they get married the next day. :lol: Just kidding(:
The truth is, I would have liked to write much more for Kenta and Chiyo ( and also for the other paths).
But ended up having to quickly slap on a happy ( or sad ) ending for each of them (x I hope you'll still find the other paths enjoyable(:

ps : Thanks for using the spoiler code! ^^

jaypee_1
Regular

#20 Post by jaypee_1 »

Lol I just finished all kento's route and so far im liking the path with the two girls best :lol: so funny.

facades
Regular

#21 Post by facades »

Glad you liked it! :) I enjoyed writing about Asami & Shizuko the most ( And Kana too! ).. It was fun. :)

salis
Regular
Projects: Too many~!

#22 Post by salis »

Another fantastic game! So cute and lighthearted! <333

For my initial play through of Love & Life, I chose Kenta and unintentionally got no one in the end, (Haha, I’m so lame at dating sims, but it's still fun! XD) but the second time through I got Shizuko! Such a sweet character! There's a decent amount of challenge in this game when it came to obtaining certain paths, (in fact, I’m still trying to get all of them!) and I love that!

The art was good and it was awesome to see the characters change outfits and poses! Nice CGs, too! And the chibi versions of the characters at the ending credits was adorable! :D A great deal of effort and time went into this game, and it shows! The music and sound effects were really well chosen. It brought a lot of atmosphere to the game. As for the writing, there were still a few typos (Kenta and Shizuko's path: “She pointed to the viel attached to her hat.”, Hina and Jun’s path: “J..Just like me stay like this for a while.”) and garmmar mistakes, (Kenta & Asami’s path: “Claw crane? I hate really that game.”) but nothing that detracted from the overall playing experience.

Love & Life is my favorite story from you yet, facades! And I’m really looking forward to more from you!
ImageImageImage
If you'd like to contact me, please email me at: sal.com@live.com

facades
Regular

#23 Post by facades »

Thank you salis for your review!! :D

Really happy that you liked the sprites, pictures and CGs! It was fun drawing and colouring all of them.. I'm still learning and trying to improve (:
I'm sorry there were still so many errors in the text..I checked and re-checked and then checked again.. But I'm the worst at editing & proofreading :?
That tight deadline might also have made me anxious to upload the game as quickly as I could. :(
But I'm relieved that it did not hinder you from enjoying the game (:

Glad you liked Kenta's stories too! If you're still trying to get certain paths, i'd recommend Jun's path (; hahaha I really enjoyed writing his story.
Most people seem to have played the girl's paths as Kenta but not many seem to have played the guy's paths as Hina.
I would really love to know how they were (x hahaha cos my original plan was to make a GxB =p

Thanks for your encouragement and comments ever since 'Last Vacation' was uploaded!
I really appreciate all your posts very much ! ^^

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#24 Post by Wright1000 »

Played this last night. For someone who is new to VN making, it wasn't bad. But I think a detailed feedback may help you:

Story: I enjoyed reading, but still I found it kind of banal. Also, this cliche "My parents moved because of work. I am transferring to a new school in the middle of the year" has become very very common in visual novels. I think it will be wise if it isn't used so much. Also, there was one thing I didn't like.
In the festival, you made it look as if catching fish is very romantic. It's not. It's regarded as animal cruelty. I don't know about other countries, but in mine, in some places, catching fish is even illegal, even if you are planning to keep them alive in an aquarium. Every human wants to be free, and so does the fish. I think it wasn't very nice to put such a cruel scene in a romance story and imply that the scene was romantic.
There were also some plot holes. Like, some characters spoke as if they were mind readers.

Programming: Programming was nicely done. I haven't found any bugs so far. But, there were a few errors I found, like the name of the speaker wasn't put in the speaker box.
I think if you don't put the name of the speaker in the speaker box, the player may think that the protagonist is saying or thinking the given dialogue, instead of the character who is actually speaking it.

Edit:
In one of the scenes, when you go on a date with one of the guys (forgot his name), instead of proper backgrounds, the classroom background was shown. I think you did not find good backgrounds for the scene. You should have used a black screen. The classroom scene was not suitable.
Artwork: I'm no expert but I could see that you put a lot of effort into the artwork. Still, it needs some improvement.

Grammar: The grammar was weak. Maybe you should look for a proofreader for your next project. And, I don't like it when people forget to put commas and full stops.

Music and Sound Effects: No objection on the music. But, some of the sound effects were really annoying. For example- the crying of the baby. I don't see why you even used it. It wasn't necessary at all.

By the way, congrats on making a game that has both a male and a female protagonist. Not many visual novels has that option.
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

facades
Regular

#25 Post by facades »

Thanks for playing this game, Wright1000! (:
And thank you very much for your feedback too! I'll take note of the points you've brought up for any projects in the future.

There are many errors in the game and there are many things that need improvement.. especially the editing. >.<
I'm still working on my English, writing & art and hoping to improve. (:
Definitely need to find a proofreader next time. I'm so blind when it comes to finding errors.(x
Thanks for pointing those things out, I'll be more careful with the plot, programming, punctuation and grammar. I need more creative juice too! x.x

Story:
I respect your love for animals.
Goldfish scooping is one of the more well-known traditional festival games in Japan and I didn't see it as cruelty towards animals when I first wrote the story.
I'm sorry for not thinking through these implications that are associated with the activity. It was never meant to be offensive or hurtful.
Programming :
Do you mean the scene where Hina had lunch with Jun? It might be related to culture. In Japan, some students bring lunch boxes and have lunch together in their own classrooms.
Music and Sound effects :
That's true, I did feel that the crying was kind of annoying after a while. But I placed that in so that the players could understand the extent of the Takeshi's and his mother's frustration. Maybe players could also understand how irritated the other passengers on the train might have been. This has happened a few times before in real life (babies/ children screaming throughout the whole journey). (x It was irritating but I felt for the parents as well.
Thanks for playing through this game despite the many errors! :) I really appreciate it!

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#26 Post by Wright1000 »

facades wrote: Programming :
Do you mean the scene where Hina had lunch with Jun? It might be related to culture. In Japan, some students bring lunch boxes and have lunch together in their own classrooms.
No, I was talking about the scene where she goes on a date. She was about to be hit by a car when the guy (forgot his name) saved her life. Since, they were on a date, you shouldn't have shown a classroom background.
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

facades
Regular

#27 Post by facades »

O.O!!
Oh no.. I see what you mean. Major error in the programming.
When Asami and Shizuko asked Hina if she likes Takeshi, you chose no ( if you chose yes, it would show a shopping street).
I seriously didn't notice it until now. :oops: Thanks for pointing it out.
I fail at proofreading and testing my own games. >.<
Really have to do a complete editing of this game..
Hopefully I'll have some time to do so in the future cos there are some CGs that I hope to add in too. :( sigh.
Thanks again!

Ordog
Regular

#28 Post by Ordog »

Heeeh... We have to subscribe to 4shared to download this file ? Can't you change the links to somewhere else ? Please ?

facades
Regular

#29 Post by facades »

@ Ordog: Sorry, I didn't notice that people need to sign up for 4shared to download.
That's weird..When I first uploaded the game, I somehow managed to download it even when I was not signed in.:?
But I've uploaded the game to another file hosting website, please download the game from: sendspace
Thank you! (:

Edit: For Mac and Linux

VikkiSound

#30 Post by VikkiSound »

I think the links are dead again. Either that or I'm being stupid. :(