[SciFi|Adventure]Adrift

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: [SciFi|Adventure]Adrift

#121 Post by Taleweaver »

BlanketOfWisdom wrote:Loving this game, but still stuck. I can't seem to get any ending other than Minako's sad ending or one where I get eliminated by robots.. Help?
Have you tried looking into the guide?
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

BlanketOfWisdom

#122 Post by BlanketOfWisdom »

Oh, thanks! I think I've gotten it now

beliar

#123 Post by beliar »

Finally got some time to play this novel and obviously it was great, just like everything from Taleweaver. My review of it can be found here.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer

#124 Post by Taleweaver »

Hey, thanks for your review! Most of your criticism holds water; I decided to do a few of the things you mention for the sake of keeping player frustration as low as possible with a story like that one (if the protagonist had more trouble interacting socially as he already does, it wouldn't have been a very fun game). Still, thank you for being so kind overall.
More about me in my blog

Lukifell

#125 Post by Lukifell »

I made an account on this forum just to give my thoughts about this game.

First, the whole idea is pretty epic and the art is good (love Erika!).

But your branches completely break this game. No matter what a player does, they have a seemingly 80% chance of meeting the same annoying death at the hands of giant scarabs, for apparently little or no reason at all, and without being told why.

I've even used extensive saves. At least a few times, no matter which option I took, it ended up with the ominous beetle bots.

Guess how many times I've seen that ending? Like 20 so far, and I'm only 8/16 completed. I'm not even gonna try to complete any of Sachiko's endings, she's just annoying overall and every single path has lead to the freaking scarab scene. My god, man, did you actually think people would enjoy that? Seeing the same annoying scene over and over?

I'm sorry, but that's just frustrating. The first 10 minutes of this game? 10/10, epic. Atmosphere? Perfect. I was enthralled. If you had kept up with the style as the opening, focused more on the story, this could have been something big. I'm sure of that.

Once the branches start, though? It falls flat on its face. I downloaded this for the story, really, not to see the same scenes over... and over... and over, and over, and over. Hope you can address this in future titles.

I'm only writing this because you really had something amazing going here, and then it fizzled, and I hope my feedback can help you improve in some way. It would have been better, IMHO, if you had dealt less with "zomg which choice will kill them now, ehehe", and more about the story. This story has SO much going on that I found you could have explored further: A) Erika's weird project and Erika/Supervisor romance is general B) Minako's anti-robot rebellion C) Moray D) The whole issue of Erika being a spark, etc etc etc. Anyway, keep working at it, cool game overall.

edit: Also, I'd like to point out, I DON'T mind difficult/unforgiving games. I mastered the 7th Saga for SNES when I was 11, if that gives you any idea. But when you have two dialogue choices which are nearly the same, and one leads to death, and having to re-do scenes over again, it's a frustrating experience that I can only bear for so long.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#126 Post by Taleweaver »

Lukifell wrote:edit: Also, I'd like to point out, I DON'T mind difficult/unforgiving games. I mastered the 7th Saga for SNES when I was 11, if that gives you any idea. But when you have two dialogue choices which are nearly the same, and one leads to death, and having to re-do scenes over again, it's a frustrating experience that I can only bear for so long.
First of all, relax.

No single wrong choice leads to death. In fact, there are a lot of things you can do wrong that will lead you to a... well, say, "unsatisfactory ending".

If you want to redo less of the game, there's always the Save function. I would recommend you to save your game at the end of Chapter 1 and then try for different outcomes of Chapter 2. Same for the end of Chapter 3. Use the "skip text" function (Tab key) to fast-forward through scenes you have already seen, and you shouldn't have to re-read that much.

If you're still stuck, the guide is your friend.
More about me in my blog

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#127 Post by Greeny »

I think that's the point he's trying to make: You shouldn't need a guide to get overall enjoyment of the story.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#128 Post by Taleweaver »

Greeny wrote:I think that's the point he's trying to make: You shouldn't need a guide to get overall enjoyment of the story.
You're perfectly right about that. You shouldn't need a guide, and I don't think Adrift is the kind of game that you need one for. However, I provided one just in case people still got stuck.

Sue me. :)
More about me in my blog

Fira

#129 Post by Fira »

Just wanted to drop by to say thanks for an awesome game !

Art is pretty good, music really gives an interesting ambiance...
Immersion on first few playthroughs is just magical as you would expect on such great games, though it loses its magic somewhat as you start to get a grasp of the situation.
I also think it to be quite original, though i'm only beginning to go around VNs !

I only managed to get seven of the endings alone before giving up to the guide (1,2,3,5,6,7,15) and must say they were all great... Well... "great"... Might have broke down crying for one hour and half on Minako's sad ending... Geez... I hate you.
How the characters seem to change as you take different paths quickly gets confusing as in most multiple path games -- I was truly disappointed by Erika's attitude during Minako's and Sachiko's storylines, especially after running my first playthroughs getting her good/bad endings. I thought to finally understand her and what she did to Minako hit me like a ten-tons truck. Also still can't make much sense of Sachiko yet...
Hopefully it'll all clear out once seeing everything, mh o.o ?

Only thing I really found weird was the illogical conclusion ending. I still don't understand why would the Life Support get any better connection to Bluetide's systems than the Supervisor himself ;( ? Stop pulling plot magic on me x.x !
All in all, a damned good game and story.. Thanks so much again. Really.
Last edited by Fira on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#130 Post by Taleweaver »

If you found all three bad endings (1-3), that's pretty awesome in itself as one of them wasn't easily attainable and you had to jump through a few hoops to get that one, so congratulations. Also, thanks for the nice words on Minako's Sad Ending. It was one of the endings I am most proud of.
More about me in my blog

llirium
Regular
Projects: Aurora Fall (editor, as Xyllirium)

#131 Post by llirium »

I really love this game, especially
when you start to discover the truly horrible nature of the city in Erika and Sachiko's stories. Guess there never *can* be a perfect world anywhere. ^_^;
Hinami somehow works things out and has got to be one of the most unlikely heroine types ever, and you play it straight to the point of being able to give in to the impossibilities, well done. :)

Gotten almost every ending but Hinami's Sad Ending, please help? :(

Also, more kudos on Minako's Sad Ending. Definitely a tearjerker.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#132 Post by Taleweaver »

Hinami's Sad Ending is actually easy to get. Just do everything you can to keep her happy (make it look as though you need her help, tell her sweet little lies about her mother, but in the end, remember the code of the access panel wrong. As with all of the possible allies in the game, when the get injured near the end of Chapter 2, that's a prerequisite to finding their Sad Ending.
More about me in my blog

jeremy_seekings

#133 Post by jeremy_seekings »

I must admit that this game is really fun and extremely difficult when it comes to getting all 15 endings. I know I am new to this site but I have been playing VNs for years. Eventually every programmer wants all their fans to see all the stories of their game, the guide helps but do you ever plan on giving a walk-through in the future?If not I understand but it would be nice to see them all, thanks for your time :)

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#134 Post by Taleweaver »

I'm not planning to write a walkthrough, but seeing Beliar's review, I think he solved the game. Why not ask him? Or just look into his review? It contains a walkthrough.
More about me in my blog