Lakeside Sunset (Final version)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#16 Post by DaFool »

The updated version is really nice.

I'd have to comment that G!MB was the one of the --- if not the most --- diskspace-efficient VN I've played. I don't remember right now, but back when I was playing it seemed to have a single very long and excellent looping music track...and that lasted a good 70 minutes of game time! Suffice to say that game is now one of my reference examples...along with Narcissu...in my neverending quest to find ultimate minimalism and efficiency without sacrificing graphic quality and gaming experience.

So yeah, I agree with dizzcity that for a VN, music and visuals tend to be more important to me, because otherwise I'd just read a book. (for Narcissu the strength was its choice of music)

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#17 Post by Vatina »

I like the changes to the final version ^^ And the story is still as sweet. Feels very strange to see my own art in it :P

dizzcity
Veteran
Projects: Lakeside Sunset, Wedding Vows, Working Woman

#18 Post by dizzcity »

Glad you liked it. ^.^ Heh, about feeling strange, I guess you'll feel it again when denzil's stories come out. :)

-Dizzy-
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.
Writer and director of Working Woman (NaNoRenO March 2010)
Writer and director of Wedding Vows (finished 2009).
Creator of Lakeside Sunset (finished 2006).

Lachesis

#19 Post by Lachesis »

Hi dizzcity! I would also like encourage you to use ogg instead of mpeg, or at least remove the ID3v2 tag because libsmpeg seems to have problems with it [1]. I'm sure Sheesh will understand that. I enjoyed your story, keep up the good work!

[1] http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1285

dizzcity
Veteran

#20 Post by dizzcity »

Hey Lachesis! Glad you decided to join these forums after all. :) Trust me, if I knew how to convert MP3 to OGG, I would have done so already. As it is, I sent a message to Sheesh asking her if I could get an OGG version of the music. If all goes well, I should be able to upload the last, final version of the project with .OGG format music instead of MP3 soon.

-Dizzy-
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.

Lachesis

#21 Post by Lachesis »

Thanks for the welcome, but you know ;) Anyway, asking Sheesh is the best you can do in any case. Although I have an ogg version created from the mp3 file, converting between lossy compression formats in general loses quality. Additionally, who knows, she might have any objections about redistribution as ogg file.

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#22 Post by F.I.A »

It might be a little too short of a game, but hey, at least you have submitted something.(When this guy can't and his game is growing mold...) :lol:
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#23 Post by yummy »

I liked the atmosphere and the romantical setting, but it's too bad there wasn't any final romantic kiss scene :oops:
Good job!

Lachesis

#24 Post by Lachesis »

Yummy, are you sure you regret that? Remember, the readers' (viewer's, player's, specatator's) imagination far outbeats any possible concrete display (the Hitchcock principle: inspire, suggest, but never show).

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#25 Post by yummy »

Lachesis wrote:Yummy, are you sure you regret that? Remember, the readers' (viewer's, player's, specatator's) imagination far outbeats any possible concrete display (the Hitchcock principle: inspire, suggest, but never show).
It's true imagination is a great power, but I'm a fan of heart warming kiss scenes since I think it relates to passion. I just thought it was too bad there wasn't any. I don't think that it's essential, I just happen to like that kind of scene a lot.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#26 Post by mikey »

Also, it's a VN, so visuals are also important. And I agree with the kissing, I loved BCS's work with the kissing CGs of O3. Those were very emotional, even without any words...
Whether it would fit in LS's story, is another question though. But I guess almost everything can fit, if done properly.

BTW, when does Lakeside Sunset make it into the RAA?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#27 Post by PyTom »

It'll go in after I unpack a shipment of round tuits.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

dizzcity
Veteran

#28 Post by dizzcity »

I don't know... somehow, the mood of the story doesn't seem to flow very well with a kiss. I know people often think a kiss is the strongest sign of romance, but I don't subscribe to that. And I think that came out in my envisioning of the story. The two themes I wrote into Lakeside Sunset were faithfulness and quiet love. The symbols of those were the memory of the promise and Flora's smile. Both of the themes don't really rely on a kiss, which is more often associated with passion-of-the-moment (for erotic love) or strong affection (for fraternal love).

I'm not saying that it's impossible to write a kiss into the story - anything can be done if you're a skilled enough writer... but I honestly feel a kiss would 'cheapen' the mood, instead of enhancing it. I hope you see what I mean. :)

-Dizzy-
Fanfiction.net Profile.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#29 Post by mikey »

Not to mention the timeframe coupled with the story (unlike some other ones it doesn't begin in bed ^_^) is very small to really create the sense of intimacy that would make a kiss fit in.
dizzcity wrote:I know people often think a kiss is the strongest sign of romance, but I don't subscribe to that.
Of course it's not. A hug is much stronger a sign. :P

dizzcity
Veteran

#30 Post by dizzcity »

mikey wrote:
dizzcity wrote:I know people often think a kiss is the strongest sign of romance, but I don't subscribe to that.
Of course it's not. A hug is much stronger a sign. :P
Heh. Quite true. :D Then again, I've used everything from white roses, nursery rhymes, basketballs and stabbing people with poisoned hairpins as signs of romance, so kissing and hugging just seems so... common... to me. :P

-Dizzy-
Fanfiction.net Profile.