Hierofanía

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Authiel

Re: Hierofanía

#16 Post by Authiel »

I really enjoyed this game! I thought the art look very unique and interesting, and I wanted to know more about the world when it was over. The main character was very enjoyable as well. :D

I've managed to get all the ending save the 4th, I think, which I can't seem to get to however I try. Are you going to post a walkthrough of some sort, or would you have pity on me and PM me some help? :wink:

applegirl
Veteran

#17 Post by applegirl »

Wow. I have to say, you did an excellent job in this visual novel. It was only a few minutes in that I sat back and felt like a visual novel really pulled me in. The presentation in that was flawless. I also have to applaud the original art and story. At first, I was a bit off put by the different style. But, it pulled me in and now I can't imagine any other style for this visual novel.

Most of all, I applaud the originality in this. It has been a very, very long time since I've read a visual novel that felt different. Very long indeed. I can only think of a few (many of which I paid money for to play and a very few that I did not). I've been kind of burned out on OLEVN these days. Reading a few that made me wonder why I even bothered looking. Now I remember why, because there are hidden gems like this one. Darn good job. If I had to compare this feeling, it is similar to reading something done by Mikey (someone who made classic VNs in the past that are quite different from the mainstream here, although not in the fantasy genre). Darn good job, I will definitely be looking forward to your next release.

kialaa
Projects: Chronophobia

#18 Post by kialaa »

I loved it. I honestly found the art entrancing as soon as I saw it. The story was really well written and well the character was easy to get into. And also you may not have meant to put a lot of humor in there, but I found the story quite funny. I really want to play more of your games. Oh yeah there were a few grammar issues in there, but nothing glaringly obvious.

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

#19 Post by ludeshka »

applegirl wrote: At first, I was a bit off put by the different style. But, it pulled me in and now I can't imagine any other style for this visual novel..
Thank you so much for that. I know most players of visual novels will want them to look anime, but I can't draw like that so...um, there was a possibility that people would just pass Hierofanía by because of its looks... I'm so glad it didn't stop you from enjoying the story. :)

I hope you will enjoy my next game too! :)
kialaa wrote: And also you may not have meant to put a lot of humor in there, but I found the story quite funny. I really want to play more of your games. Oh yeah there were a few grammar issues in there, but nothing glaringly obvious.
Thank you!! :)
I'm not the funniest person ever, but I do like occasional jokes here and there. I'm glad you thought them funny too! :D
You might have to wait a bit for the next game, but thank you so much for being willing to play it! :D
Sorry about the grammar, though. English is not my first language. I guess it shows O_O

Zay

#20 Post by Zay »

Authiel wrote:I've managed to get all the ending save the 4th, I think, which I can't seem to get to however I try. Are you going to post a walkthrough of some sort, or would you have pity on me and PM me some help? :wink:
Ditto Authiel! I can't seem to get either 4 or 5. Are there any plans for a walkthrough (or a set of hints) in the future?

All in all, a super fun game. I really enjoyed playing it!

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#21 Post by OokamiKasumi »

That was a damned good story!
-- The writing was excellent -- and consistent. The menu choices were logical and led to some very interesting, and surprisingly varied, results. I really liked how the dry humor threaded through the story kept it from being completely depressing even when the plot went very dark. I really enjoyed the quirky personalities of the characters, Crocket's in particular. (I feel exactly the same way about puzzles, and closed doors.)

In my opinion, the art suited the atmosphere of the story perfectly, and the music went well with the individual scenes.

Good work!
-- I very much enjoyed playing your game. I look forward to seeing any other games you care to make.
Last edited by OokamiKasumi on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

ludeshka
Veteran

#22 Post by ludeshka »

OokamiKasumi wrote: I really liked how the dry humor threaded through the story kept it from being completely depressing even when the plot went very dark. .
It was much darker on the original version! My friends told me that what I wanted to be the "True" Ending was the darkest thing ever. In fact, one ending ("Carving") was added on purpose so it wouldn't be, you know, a total downer. XD
My official statement on Hierofanía's endings is: happy endings are possible, but not necessarily true :D

A little help with Ending 4!
It might be hard to get Ending 4 because you have to make The Stranger feel "friendly".
He's very emo, and hard to please. XD
These are the choices you should make
1-Tell him his past makes no difference.
2-pick the lock yourself,
3-leave Douglas in his cage
4-tell him he doesn't understand the knights at all.

If you don't do exactly this he won't feel friendly enough, and you'll get Ending 3, and you don't want that. :D

If anybody else is interested, I'll post some "hints".
A walkthrough would kind of spoil the fun of such a short game, in my opinion. Hm. Or not? I don't know! I'll think about it. Do tell me if you're stuck or if another ending is hard to get! :)

I

Zay

#23 Post by Zay »

Thank you Ludeshka! I was finally able to get all the endings.

out of curiosity... is the seventh ending the 'true' ending?

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#24 Post by OokamiKasumi »

ludeshka wrote:...It was much darker in the original version! ... My official statement on Hierofanía's endings is: happy endings are possible, but not necessarily true :D
THIS is what made your story so good, the fact that you were willing to take the plot in such (for that world) a LOGICAL direction, such as:
the end of the world. :)
Many game-makers simply can't imagine a dark (negative) ending as being the actual outcome of a story, or in fact, the only logical ending possible. In my opinion, this limits creativity because it stops the imagination from going down perfectly plausible paths. To write a Good story, (in fiction too, not just game making,) you have to be able to imagine your plot going in ALL directions, negative as well as positive.

In my opinion, a realistic 'positive' ending is when your character survives when survival doesn't even seem possible. Of course, this doesn't mean that they are going to be 'happy'. Ask any survivor of an accident where they lived and someone else died. Survivor's Guilt causes more voluntary suicides than people think.
ludeshka wrote:A little help with Ending 4!
He hee...! That's the first ending I reached.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

ludeshka
Veteran

#25 Post by ludeshka »

Zay wrote:out of curiosity... is the seventh ending the 'true' ending?
Uuuuuh.....yeah. XD
I tried to make most endings equally plausible, though.
I mean, till the sequel is ready, maybe "Carving" is a better ending.
Or maybe somebody out there would rather
run away with the Stranger!
And who am I to argue? ^^

[quote="OokamiKasumi]Many game-makers simply can't imagine a dark (negative) ending as being the actual outcome of a story, or in fact, the only logical ending possible. In my opinion, this limits creativity because it stops the imagination from going down perfectly plausible paths. .[/quote]

You know, I'd really like to make a game where ALL the endings are bad. Like, characters ARE going to die, like it or not, and the player has to carefully juggle to try and see who (if any) can be saved...
I wonder if people would like it... *ponders*

dorne
Regular

#26 Post by dorne »

I really like the art style that is set in this game. Kia's design was something that struck pretty well with me. When I took a look at the other pictures you made relating to this game's settings, I felt that
the visual novel itself could be a start to further adventures. I would not mind seeing more, even if important people had to die.
Would you consider revisiting the world?

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#27 Post by F.I.A »

Well, the cows are not going to milk themselves, you know?
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

ludeshka
Veteran

#28 Post by ludeshka »

dorne wrote: Would you consider revisiting the world?
Truth is, I am considering it. I am considering it very hard. XD
I have already started programming the sequel, actually. And yeah, important character fights and deaths would eventually happen. I've just started, so I'm kind of in the "WHEE, THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER" phase. But I think I can promise that if you liked this one, you'll like the next. XD
F.I.A wrote:
Well, the cows are not going to milk themselves, you know?
You, sir, are a TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE PERSON.
Or, alternatively, I am a terrible person.
Anyway. SOMEBODY is a terrible person. Of that I have no doubt.

...The look on that cow's face is priceless XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#29 Post by SusanTheCat »

ludeshka wrote:You know, I'd really like to make a game where ALL the endings are bad. Like, characters ARE going to die, like it or not, and the player has to carefully juggle to try and see who (if any) can be saved...
I think a survivor type VN would be interesting too. "Only one can survive!"

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

#30 Post by Crocosquirrel »

SusanTheCat wrote:
ludeshka wrote:You know, I'd really like to make a game where ALL the endings are bad. Like, characters ARE going to die, like it or not, and the player has to carefully juggle to try and see who (if any) can be saved...
I think a survivor type VN would be interesting too. "Only one can survive!"

Susan
I've had that thought more than once. Just a matter of finding the time to write it...
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)