Hierofanía

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
CloakedInDarkness

Re: Hierofanía

#91 Post by CloakedInDarkness »

This game was so amazing. I downloaded it a while ago but I finally got around to playing it and I had to get all of the endings! You are an amazing creator! (I actually made an account so that I could tell you how much I liked it )

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

#92 Post by ludeshka »

@CloakedinDarkness I feel really honored. :)
Thank you so much for your kind words! (I've been working on the sequel for years, so it really cheers me up when somebody remembers Hierofanía fondly)

And also, welcome to the forums!

Now that you're here, you'll find a lot of games to play :)
Jump in and make your own!

Dreamgazer
Veteran
Completed: Death Room; Don't Take This Risk; War: 13th Day; War Specials
Projects: Beauty and the War (X Playing Pieces)
Organization: Poison Apple Tales
Tumblr: poisonappletales
Deviantart: PoisonAppleTales

#93 Post by Dreamgazer »

I'm a huge fantasy enthusiast, but what really convinced me to check out the game was the picture up front. There's something beautifully haunting about the sword being poised over her throat, which almost seems offered willingly. It intrigues you and draws you in, much like the game's world itself.

When I read through the visual novel, my first impression was that it reminded me of Games of Thrones and Gardens of the Moon. (You don't happen to be a fan of those, do you?) I feel like there's a grand story to be told here, like there's real history and the characters live in the aftermath of it. It's a lovely feeling woven all throughout the narrative.

As for the characters, they all feel like distinct people (some of which I definitely wouldn't invite for dinner). My favorite would have to be Douglas. I didn't think I would like him that much at first, but when he gets to bond with Crocket, I found the other sides of him surprisingly endearing.

I have to admit that I was hoping for a perfectly happy ending, but the ones you chose all fit with the world you created. It's a grim place with bleak truths. In many ways, Crocket is the only ray of sunshine in a frostbitten land.

You did a wonderful job with your first game. I'm quite curious about the sequel.

Also...
ludeshka wrote:You know, I'd really like to make a game where ALL the endings are bad. Like, characters ARE going to die, like it or not, and the player has to carefully juggle to try and see who (if any) can be saved...
I wonder if people would like it... *ponders*
This is totally my first game in a nutshell. It's more of a simulation game than a story and is, at the same time, hopelessly intricate, with hints of the truth being scattered all over the 600+ choices. But if you're interested in this kind of game, check out the Death Room. There's a link in my signature.

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Gidget & The Mysterious Thievery of Hoppity Town
Projects: Cerulean, The Photographer, Stalker&Yandere, Enamored Risks, Who Is The Red Queen?
itch: yuukipudding

#94 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

Gosh, I can't believe that I forgot about this!
I remember downloading this and played this when it's released (the beta I think?) and until now I haven't even post any review yet (or did I?)

This was one of the VNs I played on this forum (along with frozen essence) that have a big impact on me to start making VN.
Mostly I really love the art on this and how you write the story. (but still the art is so hauntingly pretty)
I remember playing it over and over and was totally devastated when it comes to an end ;;;
Truthfully I forgot bit of the story here and there, because it was long time ago and I got sick recently so I'll download the complete ver and play it again c: belated congrats on the release!
Good luck if you do planning on making Hierofania II
I'll surely download and play it when it's released!

DJaimon
Tumblr: djaimon
Deviantart: djaimon

#95 Post by DJaimon »

hi! after seeing so many good reviews here I decided to play your game but i always get a black screen upon start up D: the music still plays however. (btw you have two heirofania.exe in the zip file so i just run the second .exe file instead)

Karl_C
Veteran

#96 Post by Karl_C »

DJaimon wrote:hi! after seeing so many good reviews here I decided to play your game but i always get a black screen upon start up D: the music still plays however. (btw you have two heirofania.exe in the zip file so i just run the second .exe file instead)
Hold down shift while starting Ren'Py, or press shift+G once Ren'Py has started.
From the "Graphics Acceleration" menu that appears, choose the renderer to use.
Choose "Quit", then restart Ren'Py.
Dealing With Display Problems

DJaimon
Tumblr: djaimon
Deviantart: djaimon

#97 Post by DJaimon »

Hold down shift while starting Ren'Py, or press shift+G once Ren'Py has started.
From the "Graphics Acceleration" menu that appears, choose the renderer to use.
Choose "Quit", then restart Ren'Py.
Dealing With Display Problems[/quote]

hmmm i did what they said but nothing pops up at all? there isnt any graphics acceleration menu when i press shift during game startup or even when i press shift+g in-game. :c

ludeshka
Veteran

#98 Post by ludeshka »

@djaimon , I'm so sorry! I have no idea of what the problem is.
...Maybe your pc is new? (This game came out in 2012, with a previous version of Ren'py)
I'll ask around on the forums, maybe someone can tell me something else you could try.

And thanks so much, @KarlC for your help.

mysticichigo
Regular

#99 Post by mysticichigo »

I may or may not have made an account here partially for the reason that I wanted to tell you how much I adore this game!

It's creative, the characters are well-developed, the writing and atmosphere are great, and I just want more of it! Great job! :D

Kumiho
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress NaNo
Projects: The Thousandth Day

#100 Post by Kumiho »

First off, I'd like to again say that Hierofania is absolutely amazing <3 (I already posted a response here iirc on an old account I forget the password to LOL) I've been really frustrated, though, because I haven't been able to play/read it ever since I switched to win10, which I assume is DJaimon's issue. Thankfully, though, Hierofania wasn't compiled or whatever, and the files are open for everyone to see <3. I managed to bypass it by literally making a new project using Ren'Py and copy-pasting all the files (script files included, obvi) and running the game from Ren'Py, so anyone else having issues could try that, too? It does take a few minutes, but honestly, I felt like it was 1000% worth it.

+ I tried building the new version myself so I could just post a dl on here & make it less time-consuming for everyone else, but the .exe failed post-build (I could only run the game from within Ren'Py itself). I assume there's either something outdated in the code somewhere that prevents proper distributing/building or I just missed/messed up a step.

++ Ugh, I'm just super happy I get to read Hierofania again <3 I was sooo sad LOL until I finally tried the Ren'Py method.

DrSchizo
Regular
Tumblr: ninesquarezone

#101 Post by DrSchizo »

A web version of Hierofania is already completed. I'm just waiting for ludeshka final check before releasing it.
If someone has the same problem and can't wait any longer, I can send the link by private message!

Or if you're used to go on Sandbox Adventure, the link shouldn't be to hard to guess. They're all made the same way ;)

DrSchizo
Regular
Tumblr: ninesquarezone

#102 Post by DrSchizo »

You can now play online to Hierofanía: http://sandbox-adventure.com/

The game is in full HTML5 so there is no need to download or install anything.
You have to register to save your game but not to play the game.

While in game, you can hit F1 to display a list of available shortcuts.

You can find more information about Sandbox Adventure Engine on this thread.

Don't hesitate to report bug if you find any.

I hope you will have as much fun playing this game that I had to convert it :D

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

#103 Post by Tempus »

I just got an ending for this (number 7!) and really, really enjoyed it. I think I'll try to get all the endings before writing any more feedback.

After I'd finished playing it put me in the mood for writing music. So here's a short piece of fan-music!
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

ludeshka
Veteran

#104 Post by ludeshka »

mysticichigo wrote:I may or may not have made an account here partially for the reason that I wanted to tell you how much I adore this game!

It's creative, the characters are well-developed, the writing and atmosphere are great, and I just want more of it! Great job! :D
Whether you did or you didn't, I will still feel super honored and flattered. Thank you very much! :D
Also, the sequel is out, if you wanna try it out ^^
Tempus wrote:I just got an ending for this (number 7!) and really, really enjoyed it. I think I'll try to get all the endings before writing any more feedback.

After I'd finished playing it put me in the mood for writing music. So here's a short piece of fan-music!
You got the true ending on the first try! (some people had lots of trouble with it^^)
Holy cow, fanmusic! I didn't even know that was a thing, but this is so cool!
It sounds...like I don't know, it makes one think of ruins, forgotten battlefields or something. Sad, but...sweeping?
Your Locked Souls music is really cool too, you know. Like really good rpg music. (please take it as a compliment, my writing playlists are 99% rpg music, chrono trigger/saga frontier/older final fantasies and such)

Bianchii
Regular

#105 Post by Bianchii »

Heyy!! I absolutely loved this game jgflksdfds The story is so good! I felt that the world is also easy to understand, like you don't need a lot of backstory to settle in just right. I adore the characters, specially Murphy, ugh please let me have his babies gjkfdljkdsl I still have to get some endings though, is there some kind of guide I can follow? D: I really am stuck and would love to get ending 4, though I did get ending 7 on my first play haha oddly enough.

Conclusion: I LOVED IT AND I'M GOING TO PLAY HIEROFANÍA II NOWWWWWWWWW

And I absolytely adore the art UGH I wanna do fanart ljgldsf some sweet Murphy fanart