Cheerful!Polymorph [Urban Fantasy/KN] [NaNo2012]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
psyduck
Regular

Re: Cheerful!Polymorph [Urban Fantasy/KN] [NaNo2012]

#16 Post by psyduck »

love the story. :) my favorite character is Derek and really love his dialogues. will you make the sequel?

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#17 Post by Mink »

Thanks. And yeah, I'll probably make a sequel after redoing the first one.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Melinoe
Regular

#18 Post by Melinoe »

:D
:DDDDD
:DDDDDDDDDDDD

This game is amazingly amazing. I can't offer any critique, but I can, however, offer heaps of praise, which probably won't be useful in the long run, but, hey, there's nothing I can do. (There's also the fact that if I tried to offer any critique, it would be forced, and anything I brought up would most likely not be an error. Like... the lack of buttons on Derek's vest! Even though I was all, "WHERE ARE THE BUTTONS BUTTONS MAKE EVERYTHING BETTER" when I saw it... it's not an error, it's a stylistic choice. And, yes, that's all I can come up with.)

First, the facial expressions. The facial expressions! Sure, the characters didn't change poses, but the facial expressions conveyed every freakin' thing they needed to freakin' convey. And the eyebrow movements were made of so much win! The facial expressions in the CG were similarly made of win.

Also, the lines were hilarious. If "Did you call the MAGICAL cops?" could be used logically out of context, I would say it it to everyone I meet. Actually, scratch that; I'm saying it to everyone I meet.

But what really makes this the best KN ever is the CHARACTERS. You probably realize this, but everyone in this game is full of wonderful. First of all, there's Susan, who is a genuine not-douchebag and a great straight man, while there's Derek, who is positively hilarious, and then there's Becky, who is as orange as Snooki but definitely likable. And then there's Candace, who I also do not hate, despite her... evil tendencies. I liked the banter between Susan and Derek ,though I'm kind of sad that you timeskip and we return right when Derek is finishing his story about why sandworms don't make the best of pets.

(Sometimes the rabid shipper in me comes out and I pretend that Susan and Derek fall in love eventually even though it's kind of creepy shotacon.)

Also, is there actually legit reason why Derek yells at people who need insurance help? Was that implied in the VN? If it was, this is fail, and I'm sorry.

So basically, this game is wonderful, all the characters rock and will stay with me forever and ever and ever, and if you make a sequel I will be one of the happiest people alive. Yeah, this was the highlight of my week.

That being said, I'm off to go replay it the, uh, third time?
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like." Lemony Snicket, The Slippery Slope

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#19 Post by Mink »

Melinoe wrote:"WHERE ARE THE BUTTONS BUTTONS MAKE EVERYTHING BETTER"
Personally I think buttons make things worse, but that's neither here nor there. ...>_> Though in all seriousness, I can keep that in mind for the remake. If anything really does bug you, go ahead and tell m, even if you think it's nit-picking; it may be something I haven't thought about.
First, the facial expressions. The facial expressions! Sure, the characters didn't change poses, but the facial expressions conveyed every freakin' thing they needed to freakin' convey. And the eyebrow movements were made of so much win! The facial expressions in the CG were similarly made of win.
Yeah, originally there was more than one pose for everyone, but then I realized I was trying to do this all myself in a month, just said screw it, and made a bunch of expressions. On that note, I'm a fan of exaggerated expressions over subtle ones, which may explain it. Also, looots of Looney Toon/Animaniacs/Tiny Toons/etc. as a kid.
Also, the lines were hilarious. If "Did you call the MAGICAL cops?" could be used logically out of context, I would say it it to everyone I meet. Actually, scratch that; I'm saying it to everyone I meet.
I wonder if it makes it funnier once you get to the end and realize
he's being completely serious about there being magical cops.
But what really makes this the best KN ever is the CHARACTERS. You probably realize this, but everyone in this game is full of wonderful. First of all, there's Susan, who is a genuine not-douchebag and a great straight man, while there's Derek, who is positively hilarious, and then there's Becky, who is as orange as Snooki but definitely likable. And then there's Candace, who I also do not hate, despite her... evil tendencies. I liked the banter between Susan and Derek ,though I'm kind of sad that you timeskip and we return right when Derek is finishing his story about why sandworms don't make the best of pets.
Lulz, Becky's skin tone wasn't really meant to look that orangey, but I was just like, "How much time do I have left? *checks* ...I guess she's that color, then. 8|" I'll probably change it to something more normal despite her hair and eyes being natually those colors.

I'm glad you don't hate Candace. I didn't get to go through as much of her characterizaton (and back story) as I wanted, because she's meant to be someone who you don't hate, though not necessarily like.
(Sometimes the rabid shipper in me comes out and I pretend that Susan and Derek fall in love eventually even though it's kind of creepy shotacon.)
I can't tell you how much I wanted to actually do that as a VN, but every ending would be a bad ending.
Also, is there actually legit reason why Derek yells at people who need insurance help? Was that implied in the VN? If it was, this is fail, and I'm sorry.
It's actually probably very vaguely implied about why he's kind of the way his is:
his Empathy has made him pick up the behavior/attitudes of those around him, and he's kind of a jerk because of it. The people he meet who treat him like a child, or are into him because of it, also make him have a bit of a knee-jerk reaction. It's part him knowing he needs the job VS wanting to be left alone. He's doing his best, but it's mainly force of habit.
^Yeah, that' not very obvious (or...probably not at all). Originally I was going to go more into it, but went, "NO TIME, HAVE TO FINISH BY END OF MONTH!"

On that note, I do plan to go more into it and stretch his character development so his changes are more obvious. Candace, too. FREUDIAN EXCUSES FOR EVERYBODY!
So basically, this game is wonderful, all the characters rock and will stay with me forever and ever and ever, and if you make a sequel I will be one of the happiest people alive. Yeah, this was the highlight of my week.

That being said, I'm off to go replay it the, uh, third time?
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoy it. There will in all likely hood be a sequel, because there are actual explanations/backstory to some things just mentioned in passing, like
the animal-eared people slavery and the second apocalypse.
I'd like to remake it first, though, which hopefully be longer, and things that probably should have been expanded on/explained more, like
Derek's Empathy, and how Candace manages to keep a shoggoth for a pet. And what is a shoggoth, for that matter.
^Which I'm glad Auro pointed out, because it didn't dawn on me people might not really know what I meant.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#20 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

This game is this week's Group Play! http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 53&t=17320

9:19
Veteran
Projects: Green Eyed Monster [complete]

#21 Post by 9:19 »

Got sidetracked while doing your sketch request and the next thing I knew, I was downloading and playing the game! I loved every second of it. The premise is unique and your delivery is GOLD. Is it just me or was there mention of you remastering the sprites somewhere? Will there be hand-drawn backgrounds for the remake? I feel the current ones don't do your game justice.

No comment on the music because I never listen.

In short, Cheerful!Polymorph blew me away. Did I say sketch request? I meant fan art.