Night at the Hospital [PPHS Jam] [Some Dude Romancin']

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

Night at the Hospital [PPHS Jam] [Some Dude Romancin']

#1 Post by Omnificent »

Meet Steve. Steve is a ghost hunter.

This is not the story of Steve.

This is the story of Frank.

Frank and Steve have been best friends since middle school. When Steve gets in a bind, Frank bails him out. As far as Frank is concerned, tonight’s little foray into the abandoned hospital is just business as usual.

That is, until he meets Luka.

This is the epic tale of Frank, conspiracies, cuddling, and some sweet, sweet mysterious-stranger lovin’.

~~~
titlescreen.png
Screenshot1.png
Screenshot2.png
Title: Night at the Hospital
Genre: Boy’s Love, Comedy, Horror(?)

3 Endings
3 CGs
Spine-chilling suspense
Cuddling

Night at the Hospital is Team Snugglebunny’s entry for the Pulse Pounding Heart Stopping Dating Sim Jam of 2013.

Downloads:
WINDOWS|MAC|LINUX (v. 1.01)
EDIT: Team Snugglebunny is now possessed of an official Tumblr, complete with askbox.
Last edited by Omnificent on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

Chibichann
Regular

Re: Night at the Hospital [PPHS Jam] [Some Dude Romancin']

#2 Post by Chibichann »

will play and comment about it

yukoneko

#3 Post by yukoneko »

Kyaaaaa, really?! really?! you guys finished it? Gotta download right away xD. I'll leave a comment later (too excited to wait until the game is played through :)))

--------------------

yukoneko

#4 Post by yukoneko »

Alright, done, for a project done in a short amount of time, it is unpredictably cute and satisfying (love your art, btw). I like how you make players to play through and connect the endings to obtain the (sort of) whole story (though I'm not sure whether I interpreted it right or not LOL ). When I got the 2nd ending, I laughed like madman :lol:. "For the love of cuddling," seriously?! :lol:.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#5 Post by Ran08 »

I'm not a fan of BL but... I shall give this one a try. Hahaha. It seems really fascinating! :) "Meet Steve. Steve is a ghost hunter. This is not the story of Steve. This is the story of Frank." Hahahaha! =)

sorani
Veteran

#6 Post by sorani »

I finished playing it and I gotta say,it was cute!
The vacuum ending really got me lmao.
The art was really good and polished and the music was eerie and fitted well.
I had goosebumps while going around. XD
Luka was adorable, but I'm more of a Steve fan XD.
I also really enjoyed the eerie dissolve effect when Luka appeared, it really gave away the he was a ghost.
But I would like to know how Frank can even touch him if he was a ghost?
And of course the vacuum ending lmao, it didn't make much sense how Frank went yandere but it was funny how all the cuddling went to his head.
The specter ending and that extra funny touch saying Luka was his new boyfriend XD.
This is amazingly polished for only 5 days, especially after nanoreno, so it's great to see such quality.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by CheeryMoya »

On behalf of Team Snugglebunny, HALFHSD hfl omg thanks to everyone trying out our game! It's been a sleepless 5 days of fun and chaos, we've all enjoyed working together. When you get an ending be sure to check the Journals page of the website, during the coming days more entries will be added to supplement the story.
yukoneko wrote:Alright, done, for a project done in a short amount of time, it is unpredictably cute and satisfying (love your art, btw). I like how you make players to play through and connect the endings to obtain the (sort of) whole story (though I'm not sure whether I interpreted it right or not LOL ). When I got the 2nd ending, I laughed like madman
:lol:. "For the love of cuddling," seriously?! :lol:.
Aya and Elphie were amazing with the sprites and the CGs, we did some character sketches before but they worked fast! O: We also did pre-Jam planning so Mink, Omni, and I agreed to show different aspects of the stories in each of our respective endings.
Also, please put spoilers under tag, cuddling is SERIOUS BUSINESS.
Ran08 wrote:I'm not a fan of BL but... I shall give this one a try. Hahaha. It seems really fascinating! :) "Meet Steve. Steve is a ghost hunter. This is not the story of Steve. This is the story of Frank." Hahahaha! =)
You're not a fan of Badass Love??? But I want to say this is less romantic than the majority of other PPHS Jam games, it's more spooks and "oh god something is gonna kill me WHAT WAS THAT NOISE" (don't worry, we don't have jumpscares).
sorani wrote:I finished playing it and I gotta say,it was cute!
The vacuum ending really got me lmao.
The art was really good and polished and the music was eerie and fitted well.
I had goosebumps while going around. XD
Luka was adorable, but I'm more of a Steve fan XD.
I also really enjoyed the eerie dissolve effect when Luka appeared, it really gave away the he was a ghost.
But I would like to know how Frank can even touch him if he was a ghost?
And of course the vacuum ending lmao, it didn't make much sense how Frank went yandere but it was funny how all the cuddling went to his head.
The specter ending and that extra funny touch saying Luka was his new boyfriend XD.
This is amazingly polished for only 5 days, especially after nanoreno, so it's great to see such quality.
Thanks for your feedback! To answer some of your comments:
The slow dissolve was a custom defined ATL thing so that way the sprites wouldn't interfere with the text, at least when they first appear on screen. I've heard a lot of people say that it gave away his ghostliness, but that was an unintended side effect. Did you notice anything else about Luka early on?
As for Frank being able to touch Luka, a bit was revealed in the November 9, 1993 Journal entry. We'll be posting up more later.
Frank's always been a cuddly guy but Steve was never cuddly enough. Luka was the perfect one for him.
I've been working on learning how to smooth the traditional VN experience so I'm glad to hear I was able to do something neat in 5 days (Omni and I switched off coding the script). I'm almost at that point where I cringe at VNs with subpar programming, it's the writing+art+music that really matters if there are no other gameplay elements! leon left the .rpy files open so if you're curious as to how we put together the thing, nothing's stopping you from taking a peek >_>

Also, I'd like to say that Team Snugglebunny is more of an alliance of devs and not a permanent team because we had a small project in mind when we entered PPHS Jam. Somewhere along the line we uh, got crazy. More likely than not some of us will help each other on our own separate projects (I'm proofreading for Omni, Nuge+Elphie worked with me on LoC, Mink and I are helping Nuge with Dolls 2/+ planning, etc.). In the offchance that we do something other than Night at the Hospital, we'll get a separate blog and website up for the team.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#8 Post by Ran08 »

Awww, this was so good! Hahaha. Badass Love? No prob! :)
But... to be honest... (and no offense too) I kinda imagined Luka as a girl here so... I really found the Vacuum ending very cute. :3 Although it's quite scary. Oh those eyes. :< Wiiiii! My heart sort of jumped out of my chest there.
I got the Possessive ending too, (that was the first one I was aiming for) and that was really creepy. Ooof. Those eyes again! Ugh. :<

At first... with all the cuddle options I was like, "Whaaaaat? Why do you keep wanting to cuddle with him Frank?!" Hahahaha. But it was really cute though. :3 I just... imagined that Luka was a girl so, the BxB sort of didn't have any effect on me. Sorry! :( Huhu. I hope you're not mad. "_

Anyway, this was really good! The art is amazing, and the music... oh, even without the music this game is so scary! :o 10x with the music. Is this a cardio exercise? Bwahahaha. Certainly got my heart rate up.

Anyway, to sum it up... great job with this game! I really liked it a lot. The quality of... everything is great. ^^
P.S. Frank really is so hansamu. <3

Edit: I forgot to say this but... I can't get the last ending. Huhu. I'd love to see Luka's journal. I've already seen the other two. *sigh* Hint! Hint! Hahaha. Please? :)

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#9 Post by Anna »

Woohoo! Good job team! Even though we didn't get much sleep and this was crazy to do after nanoreno, it was so much fun working with you guys~ The crack will stay with me for years to come and the end result is beautiful.

Vilhelmina
Regular
Organization: Cassis Connection Studios

#10 Post by Vilhelmina »

Oh my! xDD I just played this, it was quite refreshing! The backgrounds and the music kind of creeped me out at first, then I was like "...this is... catchy! *_*"

I didn't manage to get ending 1 (I tried so many different things! what are you supposed to do? o_o )

Ending 3 was the first one I got,
I had such an adrenaline rush on that first play-through, haha! I was like "Frank NOOO don't trust him, he's probably the ghost ahh-- and then when he disappeared and Steve came back I was relieved, haha, I was half expecting the ending to be you would have to choose between saving Steve or staying with Luka.
And then I got ending 2...
AHAHAHA Frank is such a weirdo. Like. Were the cuddles REALLY worth dying for? I guess they were? That is, to assume, if he did? And what was Steve's reaction to that? XD *not-so-secretive hint that you should explain that in a journal entry later*
The user interface is lovely, it really helps setting the mood! I was also very much amused by the fact that there was that green glow even around the names xD It's the little things sometimes.

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#11 Post by Omnificent »

On Ending 2:
So originally, the concept of Ending 2 was "Frank becomes a ghost for Luka." The problem was figuring out how exactly to get there.

It was then suggested that Luka accidentally pulled out Frank's soul somehow. So then I got to thinking that maybe we could actually work in the ghost-hunting angle that hadn't been addressed in any other endings plus have an excuse for more Steve. So my idea at that point was that Steve noticed Luka flickering or something, realized that Luka was the hospital massacre ghost, shouted for Frank to get away, and then Luka reflexively grabbed Frank and accidentally pulled out his soul right as the Ghost-E-Vac hit. Luka would be sorry about it and Frank would reconcile with him, because at least this way Luka wouldn't have to be alone anymore. So basically, a sort of somber but touching ending.

That was Day 1. I slept on it.

Day 2 I woke up and found that we now had 3 different sets of points to determine the ending and that the vacuum choices were all "cuddle." Cuddling seemed like the last thing that tough, hard-boiled Frank would want, let alone think about in an urgent situation.

Which is exactly what made it so hilarious.

So then I thought, "If it's kind of OOC anyways, why not go full throttle and make this the crack keikaku doori Frank yandere end?" And that's when everything clicked into place.
I'm glad a lot of people like that ending, though. NO REGRETS
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by CheeryMoya »

Ran08 wrote:I kinda imagined Luka as a girl here... the BxB sort of didn't have any effect on me. Sorry! :( Huhu. I hope you're not mad.
Personally, I er... don't see why anyone would do that in this case? The writers on this project (or at the very least, I) didn't write intending fanservice or fluff, we wrote the story of a guy who accepted the other. I think that all of the writers agree that love is love.
Ran08 wrote:Edit: I forgot to say this but... I can't get the last ending. Huhu. I'd love to see Luka's journal. I've already seen the other two. *sigh* Hint! Hint! Hahaha. Please? :)
I actually put up this guide while waiting for the CGs, everything you need is there.
Vilhelmina wrote:I didn't manage to get ending 1 (I tried so many different things! what are you supposed to do? o_o )
Go to the guide I linked Ran08, you have to be extra nice to Luka.
@Vilhelmina on Ending 3 and 2:
Did you notice anything about Steve in Possessive? :3
Steve freaks out for sure since in Vacuum, he'd have to drag Frank's body home and explain to the parents what happened. Needless to say that Steve is feeling incredibly guilty and wants to get his buddy out. Frank, on the other hand, thinks everything ended up pretty well <3
You can blame me for jokingly putting in cuddle options while laying out the writing. Omni had a ball with it and made it epic. Journal entry request accepted.

300+ DLs! Thank you everyone who's downloaded it so far and thank you to those who've helped us spread the word. None of us expected such a positive response! Someone is currently translating the game into German as we speak and I'm setting up a separate tumblr blog (we borrowed the TTG tumblr since we thought this was gonna be a small thing). The team has talked about an update dubbed Second Opinion that may include 2 more endings and voice acting. Maybe we'll even take this to Android??? We're all so excited *u*

awesomeautumn
Regular

#13 Post by awesomeautumn »

I just downloaded this and played it and it was amazing! The messages you get when you try to close out of the game are funny, I loved the music, the art is pretty, and the writing is great. I actually like the main character, too, which is awesome. The journal entries are a good idea. I really liked reading Luka's.
I like how Luka flickers. I didn't notice it until the very end of my first playthrough, but I thought it was really cool! I started looking out for it after that. Also, the ending names with their definitions looked really nice. The font was perfect. The definitions just made the names for the endings seem more fitting and give them more meaning. Plus, I just really like seeing the entire dictionary entry. It makes it more dramatic!
I was amused when Frank said 'frankly' and then he commented and I laughed. I like Frank, especially because he isn't stupid and realizes Luka is a ghost. When Frank says that he knew Luka was a ghost, it made their smartphone conversion more interesting.
For Vacuum, the first ending I got, I was really surprised! It was the most unexpected ending, definitely. But it was fun to pick all of the cuddle options. And now we can cuddle forever!
Possessive was the second end I got, and I wanted to yell at Frank that it wasn't Steve! I was surprised that Frank just left, knowing that the ghost Luka had disappeared and something with Steve was off. Steve's eye color changing to red was a really nice touch!
So the last ending for me was Spectre, and I think that playing it last was a good choice. It seemed like a nice conclusive way to finish playing. I like that Luka doesn't really stop Frank from reading about the doctor's plans. I wish there were a cuddle option after you find out what happened to him! But I guess Frank will have plenty of opportunities for that later. I laughed out loud when I saw the third definition of Spectre!
I really just liked everything about this.

Vilhelmina
Regular

#14 Post by Vilhelmina »

Aha! So I read your guide and after a few more tries (I kept messing little things up! XD) I DID get ending one! yay! :D
I definitely agree with awesomeautumn above that it was a nice wrap-up ending to finish with! It brings it all together and ends on a happy note! All is well. n_n
Artist/writer by night, MD/PhD student by day
Looking for medical fact checking / advice for your game? PM me!

art gallery: Vilhelmina @ deviantART | Founder of Cassis Connection Studios

Vilhelmina
Regular

#15 Post by Vilhelmina »

awesomeautumn wrote:
Possessive was the second end I got, and I wanted to yell at Frank that it wasn't Steve! I was surprised that Frank just left, knowing that the ghost Luka had disappeared and something with Steve was off. Steve's eye color changing to red was a really nice touch!
AHH yes I forgot to mention the eye colour thing in my previous reply, I noticed and was totally creeped out! XD I almost didn't want to remember about it because it messed with my head too much. o_O
^ in which replying to a spoiler with a spoiler results in a very blank-looking post.
Artist/writer by night, MD/PhD student by day
Looking for medical fact checking / advice for your game? PM me!

art gallery: Vilhelmina @ deviantART | Founder of Cassis Connection Studios