My Beautiful AI [Sci-Fi][NaNoRenO 2012]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

Re: My Beautiful AI [Sci-Fi][NaNoRenO 2012]

#16 Post by Anna » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:04 pm

Hey Dollywitch, it's not my kind of music but I think it fit the VN very well and it wasn't disturbing or anything, so good job! Though I guess it would still profit from being switched with other sounds/silence now and then.

Anyway, finished it! :D I liked the good ending best.
The AI was adorable and kind <3! I liked her sprite and she behaved very much like a real person, I was amused she even took parts of the day off to think things through and felt so much empathy. Overall I think you've made an interesting concept to think about: AIs replacing human beings. It's a scary thought haha.
I only wish it were longer, but since this is a Nano-VN, I fully understand the limitations.

The only thing which bothered me was that the light green text was hard to read, when it was centered on the screen and overlapped with other light colours; it doesn't have any shading or outline to make it stand out.

Nice work everyone!

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#17 Post by CheeryMoya » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:13 pm

redeyesblackpanda wrote:It was fun! Art was very nice as well. Wright is such an idiot. :twisted:
Isn't he?
Should I say the worst case scenario is the canon ending? Probs not, because the "Good" Ending is my headcanon. What I say goes!
Anything else you'd like to say though?
kaleidofish wrote:
My favorite ending was the one where she went all crazy. I wasn't expecting it! I loved the pixelation effect going on, and how you can see her evil face through the pixels. What made that part even creepier was that the program kept shrinking, then popping back up again. Maybe, that's a problem with my laptop...I don't know. Intentional or not, that made it creepier (and made me miss some of the text).

Maybe, if he hadn't treated Aiikasu as a replacement tool, there could have been a happier ending for both of them.
Good job, everyone involved!
Bwahaha, that seems to be the favorite with everyone >:3 Enjoy your new nightmare fuel :'D
Yes, the window disappearing and reappearing was intentional. Omni told me it was more annoying than anything, but if it scared the crap out of at least one person, then mission accomplished!

And of course Professor Wright wouldn't have to go through all that if he learned anything from his last relationship with Kireiai.
Thanks for playing!
Dollywitch wrote:It is quite short which is a shame since it's quite well written. I'd like to see it expanded.

Also having the soundtrack on all day every day maybe wasn't the best. I suppose this is partly my own fault for not composing more ambient background bits, that would have helped too. It's hard to know how it works until you actually read it. Spacing out the usage of tracks in a longer version would be a good idea, and just use background ambience or silence more.
I could pull the NaNo restraints and AP student card out, but yeah, I wish I had more time to actually make the days longer. Anyone else here got the impression that I was BS-ing most of it? I was more focused on the impact of the endings more than anything else in terms of writing and execution, so it's a relief to know I did somewhat decently.
Also, don't worry for not composing more ;-; This was more than enough considering the circumstances at the time.
Anna wrote:Hey Dollywitch, it's not my kind of music but I think it fit the VN very well and it wasn't disturbing or anything, so good job! Though I guess it would still profit from being switched with other sounds/silence now and then.

Anyway, finished it! :D I liked the good ending best.
The AI was adorable and kind <3! I liked her sprite and she behaved very much like a real person, I was amused she even took parts of the day off to think things through and felt so much empathy. Overall I think you've made an interesting concept to think about: AIs replacing human beings. It's a scary thought haha.
I only wish it were longer, but since this is a Nano-VN, I fully understand the limitations.

The only thing which bothered me was that the light green text was hard to read, when it was centered on the screen and overlapped with other light colours; it doesn't have any shading or outline to make it stand out.

Nice work everyone!
Thanks, and sorry for the overlapping text. Gutsy told me the same thing, but I just went, "Nah, let them deal with it :V" Guess that wasn't such a good call OTL Should there ever be another update or a remake of the game, I'll be sure to fix that up.

bd648

#18 Post by bd648 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:14 pm

I apper to have a traceback error on my mac version. I have done all of the suggested things but the error still persists.

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While executing init code:
File "game/script.rpy", line 16, in script
File "game/script.rpy", line 16, in python
ImportError: No module named renpygame

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "/Users/username/Downloads/My Beautiful AI (Original)-all/renpy/execution.py", line 265, in run
File "/Users/username/Downloads/My Beautiful AI (Original)-all/renpy/ast.py", line 632, in execute
File "/Users/username/Downloads/My Beautiful AI (Original)-all/renpy/python.py", line 977, in py_exec_bytecode
File "game/script.rpy", line 16, in <module>
File "/Users/username/Downloads/My Beautiful AI (Original)-all/renpy/loader.py", line 478, in load_module
File "crash.py", line 3, in <module>
ImportError: No module named renpygame

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#19 Post by redeyesblackpanda » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:45 pm

CheeryMoya wrote:Anything else you'd like to say though?
Uh... I got two of the endings? :lol:
It was a job well done. :)
I found the GUI to be quite nice, so props to Hijiri.
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Lemon Project, Porcelain Heart, Dream's Dénouement
Organization: Team ANARKY

#20 Post by leon » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:00 pm

The story is very interesting and its great to see how the player choices have a notable result on Aiikasu's personality changes. I got the good ending first and it felt a little cut-off. I was a little dissapainted, until I found the actual true ending.

The songs are very suiting to the theme. They have a very nice 8-bit nostalgic feel. I think the theme song is wonderful.

The GUI looks great. Only the wide menu choices are a bit out of place.

I really liked all the work on all the special effects.
Especially on the yandere ending.
That must have been a lot of work.

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Locked-In, Sunrise, The Censor
Projects: ?
Organization: Lucky Special Games
Tumblr: saguarofoo
itch: saguarofoo

#21 Post by saguaro » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:45 pm

I did my first playthrough tonight and got the good ending. The main thing I liked was how different this game felt. The music was a good fit, too. I think this game is a great candidate for a longer, more in-depth story with a broader range of choices if you decide to work on it more later.

I liked the GUI and the way Aiikasu was represented, however, I found myself wishing some of the space-fillers on the screen had more meaning or were more directly related to the story/Aiikasu's emotions. Also, the green text was sometimes an issue--but you know that.

I wonder if there's a way to get around the info-dump scene at the beginning in the hallway?

If you do decide to update, I got the following errors. I ignored both and was able to finish the game.

While running game code:
File "game/script.rpy", line 506, in script
File "game/script.rpy", line 506, in python
NameError: name 'altmessage2reply' is not defined

While running game code:
File "game/script.rpy", line 573, in script
File "game/script.rpy", line 573, in python
NameError: name 'message3reply' is not defined

Funnyguts
Veteran
Projects: That's the Way the Cookie Crumbles, Ibuki Magica
Organization: Twin Turtle Games

#22 Post by Funnyguts » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:13 am

Arrgh, those are the same errors that Reikun got, I think. I still don't know how to reproduce them.
ImageImage Image
Petit Fours and Sushi: The best name for a Tumblog I could think of.
,%,..@@@,.Þ%,.@G,.@@,.% ...What? It makes sense to me.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#23 Post by CheeryMoya » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:10 pm

@ bd648 and saguaro's error: Hm... all errors should be gone by now :C Rei tested the errors on her Mac, and we can't figure out what went wrong. If you downloaded the game early, that may be the problem. New downloads are available on our site.
leon wrote:The story is very interesting and its great to see how the player choices have a notable result on Aiikasu's personality changes. I got the good ending first and it felt a little cut-off. I was a little dissapainted, until I found the actual true ending.

The songs are very suiting to the theme. They have a very nice 8-bit nostalgic feel. I think the theme song is wonderful.

The GUI looks great. Only the wide menu choices are a bit out of place.

I really liked all the work on all the special effects.
Especially on the yandere ending.
That must have been a lot of work.
Are we playing the same good ending? :lol: Maybe you got the normal ending or something. I had a bit of trouble deciding how to show the menu choices, since there is a difference between NVL and ADV menus. I didn't know how to edit the frames, nor did I want to bother Hijiri more than necessary :C
And yeah, I did spend too much time on the yandere ending, methinks :p
saguaro wrote:I did my first playthrough tonight and got the good ending. The main thing I liked was how different this game felt. The music was a good fit, too. I think this game is a great candidate for a longer, more in-depth story with a broader range of choices if you decide to work on it more later.

I liked the GUI and the way Aiikasu was represented, however, I found myself wishing some of the space-fillers on the screen had more meaning or were more directly related to the story/Aiikasu's emotions. Also, the green text was sometimes an issue--but you know that.

I wonder if there's a way to get around the info-dump scene at the beginning in the hallway?

If you do decide to update, I got the following errors. I ignored both and was able to finish the game.

While running game code:
File "game/script.rpy", line 506, in script
File "game/script.rpy", line 506, in python
NameError: name 'altmessage2reply' is not defined

While running game code:
File "game/script.rpy", line 573, in script
File "game/script.rpy", line 573, in python
NameError: name 'message3reply' is not defined
A-yup, looks like a remake of MBAI is due eventually.
I've been playing with the possibilities, and if we ever do remake the game, I think I'll start it off from the day Aiikasu was created, and then you can shape her from the very beginning. I'd make it a point to include actual sprites of Kireiai, maybe introduce another dude, and explore the themes we already have in-depth.
New update lets you skip the infodump if you want :/ I forgot to fix the centered text though OTL

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#24 Post by Obscura » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:13 am

Hey guys...I'd love to play this, but I keep getting this error when I tried to run the game:
(I'm on a Mac)

Code: Select all

After initialization, but before game start.
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not iterable

Full traceback:
  File "/Applications/My Beautiful AI-1.10-mac/My Beautiful AI.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/bootstrap.py", line 276, in bootstrap
  File "/Applications/My Beautiful AI-1.10-mac/My Beautiful AI.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/main.py", line 309, in main
  File "/Applications/My Beautiful AI-1.10-mac/My Beautiful AI.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/style.py", line 648, in build_styles

Darwin-11.4.0-x86_64-i386-32bit
Ren'Py 6.13.7.1646
My Beautiful AI 1.10
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#25 Post by CheeryMoya » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:44 am

Obscura wrote:Hey guys...I'd love to play this, but I keep getting this error when I tried to run the game:
(I'm on a Mac)

Code: Select all

After initialization, but before game start.

Full traceback:
  File "/Applications/My Beautiful AI-1.10-mac/My Beautiful AI.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/bootstrap.py", line 276, in bootstrap
  File "/Applications/My Beautiful AI-1.10-mac/My Beautiful AI.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/main.py", line 309, in main
  File "/Applications/My Beautiful AI-1.10-mac/My Beautiful AI.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/style.py", line 648, in build_styles

Darwin-11.4.0-x86_64-i386-32bit
Ren'Py 6.13.7.1646
My Beautiful AI 1.10
Sooooooooooo sorry for not replying earlier Q_Q I did see this, people have reported the error before, but I thought it was fixed in the new version we posted. The reason this happens has to do with one of the endings, and removing it will fix the game at the cost of giving up one of the best effects ever >_> Still, I'll remove it for the Mac version.

I hope you haven't lost interest playing this because I didn't reply sooner ;-; Will you forgive me one day???????

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Tour de Pharmacy, Tour de Paseban
Projects: ALLBLACK Phase 1
Organization: VN Project Indonesia
Deviantart: SECONDARY-TARGET
itch: NSAID

#26 Post by tiya_nofurita » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:52 am

I really interested on sci-fi VN so hey i found this game when i type the keyword "sci-fi" lucky me :>
I love the interface,the music,but the story is too short, yeah I kinda understand :>

Squeal for the yandere ending !!! Kinda crepy, but really love this :D
Btw i found this syntax on your script.rpy :
$ main.crash ()
Really interesting, and made my computer crashed for real
(No i'm not mad :D)
Ongoing project :

"For what reason I live?"

"What will you see when you are dead?"

ALLBLACK Phase 1 -Q4 2020-

Funnyguts
Veteran
Projects: That's the Way the Cookie Crumbles, Ibuki Magica
Organization: Twin Turtle Games

#27 Post by Funnyguts » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:46 pm

For those of you who use Macs, we've gotten around to making an updated version. It should work properly now. Enjoy!

The version for Windows and Linux should still work. Tell us about any other errors you find.
ImageImage Image
Petit Fours and Sushi: The best name for a Tumblog I could think of.
,%,..@@@,.Þ%,.@G,.@@,.% ...What? It makes sense to me.

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#28 Post by Obscura » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:46 am

Yaaaaay! I can finally play this the way it was meant to be played.

Thank you so much. :)
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#29 Post by CheeryMoya » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:30 pm

Obscura wrote:Yaaaaay! I can finally play this the way it was meant to be played.

Thank you so much. :)
Not exactly :'C The thing that was messing with the Mac version was one of the best effects in the game, so the only way to let Mac users was to take it out altogether apparently.
Still, there's always the pixelation...
@tiya_nofurita: I'll remake this one day with an extended story... once I get a better grasp of the sci-fi genre. I'm hoping I'll write it closer to my original idea and see if that improves the quality... Still glad you liked it though. And sorry for your computer really crashing omg OTL

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#30 Post by philip » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:40 pm

Had trouble getting this to open after downloading; I am one of those in the "lunatic fringe" who are using a Mac. Fortunately, CheeryMoya came to my rescue with a new down load, which works just fine. Went through the game, found it to be very well done and enjoyable. The inevitable comment is that it was too short - the way I always feel when a story that I really like is over too soon. I think this story is a great candidate to be made into a longer version.
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"