Ristorante Amore [NaNoRenO 2012] +German translation

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ziassan
Veteran

Re: Ristorante Amore [NaNoRenO 2012] +RPY files and v1.1

#91 Post by Ziassan »

SilverxBlue wrote:She wouldn't make a protagonist that's too Mary Sue-ish, would she?
Ahah, a french girl reviewed this VN (here, third one) and used "Mary Sue" as name for Lily ~

The review is merciless but has some good points - in short the conclusion is :
This is the title of the Nano 2012, the strongest in contents : we can feel a real work on the graphics, interactivity, writing. From a narrative point of view however, the VN is running a little empty after the surprise of the post-prologue. Some additional elements on the universe instead of focusing on the romance immediately, could have spiced it all and raise Ristorante Amore at another level, which is a bit unfortunate.
Still, the VN is pleasant and the variety of possible relationships (* cough * boy's love * cough *) and small additional bonuses will surely interest many young ladies. If the challenge of team Cyanide Tea was to prove their worth, it is successful. However, if it was to expand their circle of consumers to approach their first commercial game, Break Chance Memento, I fear that this is more complicated.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#92 Post by Camille »

First--the game has been updated to v1.1. You can see the changelog here on the Cyanide Tea blog. I've also replaced the Windows .zip file with an actual .exe installer and the Mac .zip file with a fancy .dmg file. I had to do this because... Dun dun da duuuuun!! Ristorante Amore is now available on Desura. following the most humbling, "oh my god REALLY?"-inducing email and moment between me and Auro Desura is a "digital distribution service", aka a game portal, sort of like Steam? Anyway, you can now download the game through Desura. The nice thing is that it has auto-patching so if we ever do add more stuff to RisAmo, Desura will patch the game automatically for you. :D I highly recommend getting the game through there and keeping up with our stuff. If you don't want to use Desura or if you're on a Mac, RisAmo is still available via standalone downloads. (still via Desura, but you don't have to download the game through the client, they're just hosting our files)

Second--the .rpy files are now available. The reason it took so long is that I wanted to make sure I fixed all the bugs and whatnot before releasing the code. Hopefully I won't have to update these... Anyway, you can download all the .rpy files on this page. I really hope that they're useful. If you have any questions whatsoever on how/why I did something, please PM me and I'll try my best to help you out.

@psyduck: Thank you very much! (: I'm glad you enjoyed it.

@azureXtwilight: Thanks for playing and leaving such a long comment. <3 I'm so happy you enjoyed the post-prologue, though it's a shame you avoided some of the endings. D: If you don't full-comp, there's a certain scene/CG you can't get, you know? ;_; I think the extra scene's pretty awesome (if I do say so myself) so you should just skip through them just to get it. ;A;

@SilverxBlue: I don't take any offense at all. XD I would say "ick", too. I'm really glad that you enjoyed the game and could relate to the characters. ;_; Thank you so much! Haha, one of my friends said that the fun part of playing the prologue was thinking about how anti-Camille it is. XD

@Ziassan: I actually saw that review yesterday. :3 I had to put it through Google Translate so I don't think I understood it 100%, but I could understand and agree with most of what was said about my writing/the plot.

Originally, we actually didn't plan to have romance in the post-prologue at all... It was supposed to be more of a daily life kind of thing afterwards, but then we thought that having romance might have it build up a bit more to something. (also, I think a lot of people would be disappointed if there were no romance at all, but perhaps I'm wrong about this?) So each route is meant to show that love interest developing a little and getting over a problem that has been vexing them.
Liam's story is about getting over his feelings for Josh. (whether he's successful in trying to date him or not, he does resolve his feelings) Angelina's story is about finally deciding to do what's right for her instead of worrying about what society/her family thinks of her. Ethan's story is about learning to open up to people and not overwork himself. And, finally, Laura's story is about getting over her inferiority complex. So there really is a plot to each story, it's just that they're a little more subtle/slow. Josh also develops a little bit alongside each of them and A) figures out that he wants to be a chef instead of an actor, and B) learns how to adapt himself so that he can get along with his friend/significant other better. That happens in every route, just in different ways.
It's not very grand, I suppose, but a lot of people could relate to the problems and the stories of the post-prologue were meant to be more realistic. That's also why the backstory/logistics of the post-prologue world were very brief and quickly explained away.

We might have been able to elaborate more on the world and set up a more defined plot if there had been more time, but just this alone was already 60,000 words and I also had to program on top of that. ^^; So while I agree with what they said, I also think that RisAmo isn't necessarily a good depiction of what our normal work is like. I've been told that people are a little more harsh on RisAmo because it's so polished that they forget about the fact that it was only made in a month. (normal players, ie: people not part of LSF, almost never comment on that) Break Chance Memento is completely different in terms of story, writing, characters, and gameplay, so you probably shouldn't judge BCM too soon based on what RisAmo was like.

Err wow that sounded rather defensive, but I really did appreciate the review and it surely gave me a lot to think about and consider for the future.

Ziassan
Veteran

#93 Post by Ziassan »

because it's so polished that they forget about the fact that it was only made in a month.
Indeed ! We had the same with Spiral Destiny thinking of it..

But I beleive it's somewhere useless to take a review as "too harsh" (even when it is) and give excuses (even good and valid ones !) , it's more interesting to take that like a challenge to do even better (but it's not always easy).

And thanks for the .rpy, it's rare that a team doing commercial projects give the script from their game even a free one. That's always a good way to learn more and improve himself in coding, or just satisfy curiosity (and see shameful comments left behind).
Last edited by Ziassan on Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#94 Post by azureXtwilight »

I really think that I enjoy your writing so much XD

As you wish, I've played the romance scenes. Even though it's BL the dialogue feels quite natural to me, so I can still relate! ;) My favorite path is actually Angelina's since
I can really relate to it real-life! XD A girl who is focused into work and studies, and then her parents wants her to have a boyfriend... She's such a strong character, the past crush, the remarks and how Josh always complains of having third in her list... It's so cute XD It's such a great thing that there's a contrast between her in-prologue and post-prologue.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#95 Post by Camille »

Ziassan wrote:But I beleive it's somewhere useless to take a review as "too harsh" (even when it is) and give excuses (even good and valid ones !) , it's more interesting to take that like a challenge to do even better (but it's not always easy).

And thanks for the .rpy, it's rare that a team doing commercial projects give the script from their game even a free one. That's always a good way to learn more and improve himself in coding, or just satisfy curiosity (and see shameful comments left behind).
Oh, of course. I wasn't really trying to make excuses exactly, just saying that a lot of the decisions we made in terms of story/plot in RisAmo were due to time constraints. BCM is completely different, so such critiques aren't really even valid in that sense. For example, BCM spends a long time fleshing out the universe, the logistics of time travel, and how the characters are related. There is a lot of character interaction, but actual romantic scenes don't start until chapter four (out of six). And, of course, BCM has a much more driven plot since there are goals to be achieved other than finding someone to date. You have to time travel successfully and save people's lives.

I actually didn't find the review "too harsh". I thought it was fair and made very good points. I just think that BCM is very different from RisAmo, so you can't compare the two based on RisAmo's shortcomings because most of those shortcomings were due to time constraints.

And you're welcome! I hope that you can find something useful in the .rpy, though your game looks quite polished already (even moreso than ours in some areas), so I'm not sure if there's anything you can really learn from me. XD
azureXtwilight wrote:I really think that I enjoy your writing so much XD

As you wish, I've played the romance scenes. Even though it's BL the dialogue feels quite natural to me, so I can still relate! ;) My favorite path is actually Angelina's since
I can really relate to it real-life! XD A girl who is focused into work and studies, and then her parents wants her to have a boyfriend... She's such a strong character, the past crush, the remarks and how Josh always complains of having third in her list... It's so cute XD It's such a great thing that there's a contrast between her in-prologue and post-prologue.
Aww, thank you. <3

I wrote some of myself into Angelina, so I think that makes her easier to relate to? She's very much a projection of some of my problems and worries, so I've been told that she seems very real. That makes me really happy to hear. <3 I'm so glad that you enjoyed the game so much.

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#96 Post by Reikun »

Hi! I've been working at playing this one for a while and it's actually taking me some time to get all the endings and unlock everything ;__; (studies getting in the way of playing VNs... xD)

Is it weird if I thought the Prologue was actually.... super awesome? (.___.);; Admittedly, I only actually got one post-prologue ending so far, but I still think I like the Prologue better than the Post-Prologue?! I feel weird because I actually showed one of my close friends this game and she said she was unimpressed with the Prologue (she didn't qualify it though. I hope she filled out a survey xD) and liked the Post-Prologue a lot better, so am I the weird one who actually really enjoyed the first part?! ;____;
And I don't know if I'm just super corny or emotional or something, but I actually teared up when I was going through Ethan's Prologue path ;_______; WHY DID YOU MAKE HIM SO SAD?!
I swear I will eventually play all the post-prologue endings and then come back here and make a less retarded comment xD;;

All in all, I'm having fun playing so far *U* I really love the music and the overall look of everything (yay for serif fonts!) I can't wait to unlock everything @u@
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#97 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Reikun wrote:Hi! I've been working at playing this one for a while and it's actually taking me some time to get all the endings and unlock everything ;__; (studies getting in the way of playing VNs... xD)

Is it weird if I thought the Prologue was actually.... super awesome? (.___.);; Admittedly, I only actually got one post-prologue ending so far, but I still think I like the Prologue better than the Post-Prologue?! I feel weird because I actually showed one of my close friends this game and she said she was unimpressed with the Prologue (she didn't qualify it though. I hope she filled out a survey xD) and liked the Post-Prologue a lot better, so am I the weird one who actually really enjoyed the first part?! ;____;
And I don't know if I'm just super corny or emotional or something, but I actually teared up when I was going through Ethan's Prologue path ;_______; WHY DID YOU MAKE HIM SO SAD?!
I swear I will eventually play all the post-prologue endings and then come back here and make a less retarded comment xD;;

All in all, I'm having fun playing so far *U* I really love the music and the overall look of everything (yay for serif fonts!) I can't wait to unlock everything @u@
Haha, it's fine to like the prologue :D I mean, it's meant to be cliche as it were, but it doesn't mean it's meant to be unenjoyable. I liked playing through it as well (Especially Liam's route, I have such a soft spot for that type ///>u<///)

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#98 Post by Taleweaver »

Woo-hoo! Another game discovered by jayisgames! More fame to us!
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

applegirl
Veteran

#99 Post by applegirl »

Just chiming in that I'm glad jayisgames got it right (imo) about this visual novel. I found it charming :). The art is great as always and the writing is a strength--so props to you guys both. It was enjoyable and a clever take on a topic that definitely needed a fresh breath of air.

So, great job as always guys.

EDIT:
My face when I realized the prologue was just a prologue: :shock:
My face when I finished the entire game: :lol:

AERenoir
Veteran

#100 Post by AERenoir »

I... Something must be wrong with either my copy of the game or my computer. The game crashes every other ten clicks or so. I had to save EVERY SINGLE SCENE to avoid having to repeat over and over endlessly without getting anywhere TT______TT

I don't see the RPY download... Where is it?

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#101 Post by Camille »

Reikun wrote:I feel weird because I actually showed one of my close friends this game and she said she was unimpressed with the Prologue (she didn't qualify it though. I hope she filled out a survey xD) and liked the Post-Prologue a lot better, so am I the weird one who actually really enjoyed the first part?! ;____;
I've found that there are generally two types of people who play RisAmo...

1) Those who play it thinking it's going to be an otome game. These people tend to like the prologue and feel disappointed by (or straight-out hate) the post-prologue because it's not what they expected or (sadly) because they're just homophobes.
2) Those who play it after hearing that there's a plot twist or just because the game's free/they feel have nothing better to do. These people tend to roll their eyes at and/or hate the prologue with a passion and then are extremely relieved and impressed when the post-prologue rolls around.

There are a few people who enjoy both the prologue and post-prologue, but those types are pretty rare... Oh and of course there are people who just hate the game, period. XD I don't worry about them. I didn't write the prologue to be totally unenjoyable, so it's fine--of course it is--if you like the prologue more than the post-prologue. Everyone's response to a story is going to be different and people will find different things to like or relate to. There are plenty of people who feel like you do, so don't feel too weird about it.
That said--and this isn't exactly aimed at you, but since you brought it up, I feel like I should get this off my chest--I wrote the prologue guys to be fairly misogynistic and my own personal opinion is that I would never personally want to be in relationships like the ones I depicted. I used Twilight and some old shoujo manga as my inspiration base, actually. So I'm a little alarmed when people say they absolutely love the prologue and don't like the guys' real personalities. (well except for Liam, who is just not a nice guy in any sense of the word haha so I can understand if people like his prologue self better)

I feel that Josh is much more respectful--without being patronizing--towards Angelina and Laura in the post-prologue whereas he generally treats Lily* like a helpless idiot. And Lily* dismisses Ethan's rude and hypocritical behavior towards her by literally saying "Well, he could always be meaner to me!" and insisting to herself that she can change him. Liam is probably the least offensive of the three, but what his route lacked in offensiveness, it made up for with cheesiness. Which I suppose isn't necessarily a bad thing, but still. XD

If there had been more time, I would have touched on these issues more... But anyway, I understand that stories like this are a fantasy and a guilty pleasure sort of thing, so contrary to what some might think, RisAmo was not written as a way to troll/insult all otome fans. I play and purchase otome games quite similar to the prologue on a fairly regular basis and I think I'm a pretty well-adjusted person regardless, haha.

/tl;dr
Taleweaver wrote:Woo-hoo! Another game discovered by jayisgames! More fame to us!
Thanks for letting us know! I'm always so excited and happy to see people reviewing/talking about our game. ;_;
applegirl wrote:Just chiming in that I'm glad jayisgames got it right (imo) about this visual novel. I found it charming :). The art is great as always and the writing is a strength--so props to you guys both. It was enjoyable and a clever take on a topic that definitely needed a fresh breath of air.

So, great job as always guys.

EDIT:
My face when I realized the prologue was just a prologue: :shock:
My face when I finished the entire game: :lol:
Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I wish I'd had more time to develop things more in the story and with the characters, but alas... Maybe later once we've caught up with our other projects. ;_;
AERenoir wrote:I... Something must be wrong with either my copy of the game or my computer. The game crashes every other ten clicks or so. I had to save EVERY SINGLE SCENE to avoid having to repeat over and over endlessly without getting anywhere TT______TT

I don't see the RPY download... Where is it?
That is... Bizarre... Have you tried maybe just redownloading the game? I haven't had this reported before, so I have no idea what could be happening I'm sorry. @_@ Does this happen with other NaNo games? Some of them should be using the same Ren'Py version as RisAmo, so...

The RPY files were linked in one of my previous posts as well as in our dev blog. You can access them here.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#102 Post by SusanTheCat »

I'm one of those that liked both.

My girly squeally side liked the prologue.
My cynical realistic side liked the post story.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#103 Post by Reikun »

Camille wrote:
Reikun wrote:I feel weird because I actually showed one of my close friends this game and she said she was unimpressed with the Prologue (she didn't qualify it though. I hope she filled out a survey xD) and liked the Post-Prologue a lot better, so am I the weird one who actually really enjoyed the first part?! ;____;
I've found that there are generally two types of people who play RisAmo...

1) Those who play it thinking it's going to be an otome game. These people tend to like the prologue and feel disappointed by (or straight-out hate) the post-prologue because it's not what they expected or (sadly) because they're just homophobes.
2) Those who play it after hearing that there's a plot twist or just because the game's free/they feel have nothing better to do. These people tend to roll their eyes at and/or hate the prologue with a passion and then are extremely relieved and impressed when the post-prologue rolls around.

There are a few people who enjoy both the prologue and post-prologue, but those types are pretty rare... Oh and of course there are people who just hate the game, period. XD I don't worry about them. I didn't write the prologue to be totally unenjoyable, so it's fine--of course it is--if you like the prologue more than the post-prologue. Everyone's response to a story is going to be different and people will find different things to like or relate to. There are plenty of people who feel like you do, so don't feel too weird about it.
That said--and this isn't exactly aimed at you, but since you brought it up, I feel like I should get this off my chest--I wrote the prologue guys to be fairly misogynistic and my own personal opinion is that I would never personally want to be in relationships like the ones I depicted. I used Twilight and some old shoujo manga as my inspiration base, actually. So I'm a little alarmed when people say they absolutely love the prologue and don't like the guys' real personalities. (well except for Liam, who is just not a nice guy in any sense of the word haha so I can understand if people like his prologue self better)

I feel that Josh is much more respectful--without being patronizing--towards Angelina and Laura in the post-prologue whereas he generally treats Lily* like a helpless idiot. And Lily* dismisses Ethan's rude and hypocritical behavior towards her by literally saying "Well, he could always be meaner to me!" and insisting to herself that she can change him. Liam is probably the least offensive of the three, but what his route lacked in offensiveness, it made up for with cheesiness. Which I suppose isn't necessarily a bad thing, but still. XD

If there had been more time, I would have touched on these issues more... But anyway, I understand that stories like this are a fantasy and a guilty pleasure sort of thing, so contrary to what some might think, RisAmo was not written as a way to troll/insult all otome fans. I play and purchase otome games quite similar to the prologue on a fairly regular basis and I think I'm a pretty well-adjusted person regardless, haha.

/tl;dr
I finally got around to finishing all the post-prologue endings and unlocking everything that could possibly be unlocked xD And I have to say that I'm pretty even in liking the prologue and post-prologue now. My favorite character all around was Liam xD He had all the best endings for both the prologue and post-prologue IMO~ Hehehe!
I (sadly) mostly didn't notice that the guys during the prologue were supposed to be written as misogynistic :0 The path I noticed it most on though was definitely Ethan! I couldn't stand going through his prologue path!! xD;;; But I always play for all the endings so I forced myself through it. Liam's path, like you said, was just him being a totally cheesy guy, but I didn't really find Pierre's behavior misogynistic in the prologue? I thought he was just a gentle guy :0 It didn't come off to me that he was treating Lily* like a helpless idiot (i.e. It's true that Lily* was completely capable of sweeping up the broken plates herself, but some guys would truly just clean up the mess for her because they like doing stuff for girls and not because they don't think a girl couldn't do it on her own. Or at least I've met people in real life like that.
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#104 Post by kara24601 »

While I was surprised by the twists, I wouldn't say I downright hated the "real story" , I was a little disappointed at first and maybe still am about some things but after all of it I ended up enjoying both parts. Of course I like the "Otome" part more and I love some parts in the "real" story. ( I like to think that even if I wasn't bi I would still be a fan of all - hetero love stories, yuri, and yaoi....doesn't matter to me as long as good art and / or good story...it's sad that some people are total crazy fangirls / fanboys of one thing but act like another thing is disgusting filth just because they aren't a fan)

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#105 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

For anyone who was interested in how I was using photos for backgrounds, I made a blog post talking about it :) http://blog.cyanide-tea.net/