Home for the Heart [GxB] [Romance] [Drama]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

Home for the Heart [GxB] [Romance] [Drama]

#1 Post by Ran08 »

Celine (name changeable) is a college student whose parents had recently lost their jobs. She lost her scholarship after failing to keep up her grades due to her family problems, and on top of that, she even got kicked out of the dormitory after being unable to pay the monthly rent. With nowhere to go, she seeks the help of her best friend, Lyle, who refers her to a family friend who accepts boarders in their house. But the said house already has occupants, cousins Joshua and Philippe, who seem to find something to fight about in every little thing. Caught in the middle of a fierce rivalry, how will Celine manage to get through this stage in her life?

CELINE

She may look innocent, but she's got a lot more bite than it seems.

JOSHUA

The master of the house, Joshua sure likes to flaunt this fact. He flaunts most of the other assets he has in life too, come to think of it. Born as the only son to one of the richest business tycoons in the country, he's not used to hardships in life, at all. No wonder he found it hard to relate to Celine. That is, at first.

PHILIPPE

With his smart, businessman looks, it would be hard to see Philippe as a casual, everyday guy, but that's exactly who he is. He's a go-getter, a high-achiever, and a straight-A student, who still finds time to hang out after class and attend weekly council meetings, as part of a student council. Despite his busy schedule though, Philippe never forgets to make time for the things he love the most-- or perhaps, the one he loves the most.

LYLE

Prematurely judged by many as a queen bee, Lyle's looks doesn't match her personality at all. She can be quite child-like at time, with Celine even acting as an older sister to her. However, she's a very supportive friend, who's willing to help at any cost. But of course, that's because she can afford it. Once she's got her thoughts set, though, there's no way to change them back.

TEAM

Script & Coding: Ran
Sprites & CGs: jt - Jtsketch
GUI: Tachiko

Music: Eric Matyas (soundimage), Alcaknight
BGs: DLSite BG Pack (sponsored by IaMe Otome Games)
Special Thanks: QueenieT

DOWNLOAD
itch.io

Hi everyone! I'm presenting to you Home for the Heart, a short visual novel which also serves as our submission for the SuNoFes 2016 game jam! This is actually just a 0.9 release, hehe, because there are still a few things that need to be tweaked. Still, hope you guys enjoy it! Oh, and don't forget to check out the rest of the SuNoFes entries either!
Last edited by Ran08 on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

jtsketch
Tumblr: jtsketch
Deviantart: jtsketch

Re: Home for the Heart [GxB] [SuNoFes 2016]

#2 Post by jtsketch »

I can't believe we could do it on time! Working on this little project of ours was a challenge given our tight schedule at the time but here it is! It certainly needs polish (it's a 0.9 version release) that we will eventually do but you can try it as it is.

RESUME: It's a cute, heartwarming story about family and love, rivality and growing up. Ran did a great work to bottle up all those themes in such short sweet game, in such a short development time too.

If enough people like it we will work more in it for sure, I would like to redo the sprites with more time and care and add extras!

Also, The GUI is quite pretty eventho it's Tachiko's first ever attemp at doing one.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Ran08 »

Hi Jaytee! And d'awwww. <3

Btw, I... just realized that I didn't put any download link. Hahaha. Sorry about that. Updated!! :D

paradigmshifty
Regular
Completed: New Pisces, For Ambergris, Void Id, Connection Pools, Apartment Complex, LIFEPLUS+ and more
Deviantart: paradigmshifty
Soundcloud: sleepyagents
itch: sleepyagents

#4 Post by paradigmshifty »

Hey, I played this the other day (I thought I may aswell try to play all the sunofes games as there are only 11!)

(I renamed the MC to celine dion...)
I liked the sprite expressions - they were very expressive =D

The BGs are really pretty - I've never looked at DSLsite before - I'll have to check that out.

The GUI is impressive - all the pretty animations! - but I would point out that the text was quite hard to read on lighter BGs. Especially on my TV cos the quality is a bit meh!

Are there 2 main endings?

^^
current project - Departure Lounge
past projects at sleepyagents.itch.io <3 website/blog at http://www.sleepyagents.co.uk <3 collabs etc. listed at projects.sleepyagents.co.uk/all/ <3
Honest Critique

jtsketch

#5 Post by jtsketch »

Yeah, there are only two endings for now! We need to polish this game a bit, lately Ran has been really, really busy so we will work on it sometime on the future and fix the stuff you mention.

I'm happy you like the expressions tho! I had to rush these sprites a lot haha! :(. And it's Tachiko's first try ever at a GUI! Impressive right?

I'm glad you enjoyed the game! :lol:

Lovebird

#6 Post by Lovebird »

Thank you so much for making thiss game :D
Good job on the language and writing style (except a few spelling mistakes). The sprites and bgs were very beautiful too.. but also agree with paradigmshifty that the text was too light which made it difficult to read..
I noticed and liked that the main character had good attributes like kindness and she encourages that to the people around her. The story mainly focused on the fight between Josh and Philippe that other sides of the story became neglected, like getting to know the characters themselves? Maybe if the story was longer?
Again, thanks for making this, I enjoyed playing <3

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Ran08 »

@paradigmshifty
Celine Dion? Hahaha, that's pretty cool! And yay, I'm glad you liked the art! Sorry about the text, haha. Jaytee is right, there's still a lot that can be polished in this game, but we enjoyed it nonetheless. <3

@Lovebird
And thank you for playing it! :) Yeah, I'm really sorry if I wasn't able to focus on her relationship with the other characters that much! If we were going to expand this into a longer game (even just to add other endings or so haha) I'm definitely going to improve that aspect of the story. :) Again, thank you so much!

jtsketch

#8 Post by jtsketch »

@Lovebird

I'm glad you liked it!

It was very fun to work on this albeit it was done in a couple of weeks lol. As Ran said, maybe we could polish that more on the future. Maybe for SuNoFes 2017! lol This was my first vn work so I think I might redo de sprites if I have the chance to.