...Wait, What Did I Just Read? [NaNoRenO 2012][Experimental]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Funnyguts
Veteran

...Wait, What Did I Just Read? [NaNoRenO 2012][Experimental]

#1 Post by Funnyguts »

This is a game about nothing. It's also a game about turtles. It's also a game about cavemen. It's also a game about whatever you want it to be.

...Wait, What Did I Just Read? is an experiment in collaboration, vagueness, and what can be done with a visual novel. I wrote a short story that should take only 5 minutes to read, and provided no art to go with it. I then encouraged readers to make their own art and send it to me, so it could be included in the game. As more people add their own art, everyone can see a different way the story can be interpreted.

While the game may be in the 'completed' section of the forum, I am happy to still take art submissions! (See the rules below.) I'd love for this experiment to grow, so if you want, please make your own art and create a new way for the story to be interpreted. Have fun!

Download for Lin/Mac/Win combined here. (Thanks to CheeryMoya for uploading it to Mediafire while my version of flash refuses to work with MF properly. At least, I think flash is the problem.)

Current Artists:
*CheeryMoya
*WeakJounin
*You, maybe!

THE RULES (copied from the WIP thread):
1. I have final say over what images are put in the game. I may choose not to include any submission for any reason I feel like. I will, however, do my best to explain why I won't add a submission, and in most cases I'll accept anything that doesn't break the rest of the rules.
2. You are letting me use your art with your permission. If you decide you don't want your art in this game anymore, let me know and I will remove it as soon as possible.
3. I need exactly 6 CGs, all 800x600. In order to make sure my code works for every art submission, I can't accept sprites. I also can't have the CGs change between scenes, so no changing faces. All I need is six static images.
4. Please have each image labeled <yourusername>_<number of image>. So, if I were adding my own art, I'd have images called funnyguts_1 through funnyguts_6.
5. The art submitted needs to generally reflect what's going on in a scene. If I have a decent idea as to what A and B are up to from your art, it's fine. If there's just a bunch of blobs and lines everywhere, I won't accept it. The whole point of the art submissions is to remove the vagueness of the story, so vague art defeats the point.
6. Nothing too vulgar or violent, please.
7. You are not expected to spend any amount of effort on this. If you spend five minutes total making art, that's fine. If you want to spend two weeks making sure everything is perfect, that's fine too.
8. Have fun. I will probably be less strict on these rules than you expect.

Submissions have no due date! Send them whenever you're satisfied with them!

Make sure you check the source code to see what dialog is included in which scenes! If you're confused, here's a list of which lines start a scene:

Scene 2: b "Whe- how did you get that?"
Scene 3: a "nom nom nom~"
Scene 4: a "My shins still hurt, but sure."
Scene 5: b "...Isn’t it amazing? It took me so long to get my hands on it."
Scene 6: a "Okay, in position."

Let me know if there's anything you're confused about! If you have some art, just link me a zip file with the images, and I'll add them to the game myself.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

Re: ...Wait, What Did I Just Read? [NaNoRenO 2012][Experimen

#2 Post by Hijiri »

Played it, and yeah, I don't know what went on .-.
I'll see if I can make anything that is apropriate for this...
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#3 Post by papillon »

I did actually download this earlier (after someone mentioned it in the NaNo blog post) meaning to see if I could throw some of my own (terrible - I am not an artist) doodles into it but I'm sad to say that I didn't even realise I was running out of month until it was over!

Funnyguts
Veteran

#4 Post by Funnyguts »

Okay! Well, like I said I'm still happy to take art as long as people still make it! The NaNo deadline was just to try and have a few things of art before I released the game to the whole world instead of just this forum.

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

#5 Post by Crocosquirrel »

Give me a couple of days, and I'll see what my admittedly poor drawing skills can devise.
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

SvenTheViking
Regular
Projects: Chronicles of the Timetraveler's Wars
Organization: ProgMan Productions; Polymorphic Games

#6 Post by SvenTheViking »

Now this is certainly an interesting lesson in context. It's rather tricky to write dialogue that's vague enough to work with a number of different image sets, and yet specific enough to actually make sense. Well done, indeed.

As for contributing, as soon as I get access to a scanner, I'll do what I can for art for this project. I'd love to see it expand.
"Be not afraid of greatness: some men are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them."
William Shakespeare, "Twelfth Night"

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by SusanTheCat »

This is such an interesting concept.

The writing is interesting in that it is vague and detailed at the same time. How'd you do that?

The two sets of artwork were so different and each gave a different spin on the story. (And they both were different from what I pictured on my first read through.)

Very interesting and I can't wait to see more interpretations.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

psyduck
Regular

#8 Post by psyduck »

woah. different story with the same dialogues. how did you do that? that's totally awesome.

Daggett
Regular
Projects: The Gensoukyou Conspiracy (suspended), The Tribulation Of a Torn Anima (suspended), The Gensoukyou Project Funsized Edition
Organization: None

#9 Post by Daggett »

Funnyguts, this sounds like a very interesting concept and I am looking forward to checking it out when I can. Although, I'm not an artist, sadly. Do you think that posting a thread in the Creator's Corner> Recruitment section for an artist would make this more likely to draw attention? (No pun intended.)
Individuality's fine... As long as we all do it together.

Funnyguts
Veteran

#10 Post by Funnyguts »

Well, it's open to anyone, even non-artists! But maybe I should make a recruitment post, I dunno...

Daggett
Regular
Projects: The Gensoukyou Conspiracy (suspended), The Tribulation Of a Torn Anima (suspended), The Gensoukyou Project Funsized Edition

#11 Post by Daggett »

I opened the game and this was there to greet me. What does it mean?

"File "template/games/screes.rpy", line 192 in python. Exception: Style property scope is unknown."

Funnyguts
Veteran

#12 Post by Funnyguts »

I've never seen that problem before. I never messed with the screens file for this game, so I don't know what would cause the error.

Daggett
Regular

#13 Post by Daggett »

Do you want me to send you line 192? I'm not that great with code and stuff. Sorry.

Funnyguts
Veteran

#14 Post by Funnyguts »

Yeah, just post the traceback here please.

Daggett
Regular

#15 Post by Daggett »

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "template/game/screens.rpy", line 192, in python

Exception: Style property scope is unknown.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "/Applications/renpy-6.12.2/renpy/execution.py", line 261, in run
  File "/Applications/renpy-6.12.2/renpy/ast.py", line 630, in execute
  File "/Applications/renpy-6.12.2/renpy/python.py", line 974, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "common/_layout/screen_load_save.rpym", line 17, in <module>
  File "/Applications/renpy-6.12.2/renpy/ui.py", line 236, in interact
  File "/Applications/renpy-6.12.2/renpy/display/core.py", line 1656, in interact
  File "/Applications/renpy-6.12.2/renpy/display/core.py", line 1958, in interact_core
  File "/Applications/renpy-6.12.2/renpy/display/core.py", line 246, in visit_all
  File "/Applications/renpy-6.12.2/renpy/display/core.py", line 248, in visit_all
  File "/Applications/renpy-6.12.2/renpy/display/core.py", line 1958, in <lambda>
  File "/Applications/renpy-6.12.2/renpy/display/screen.py", line 152, in per_interact
  File "/Applications/renpy-6.12.2/renpy/display/screen.py", line 244, in update
  File "/Applications/renpy-6.12.2/renpy/screenlang.py", line 1151, in __call__
  File "/Applications/renpy-6.12.2/renpy/python.py", line 974, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "template/game/screens.rpy", line 192, in <module>
  File "/Applications/renpy-6.12.2/renpy/ui.py", line 742, in textbutton
  File "/Applications/renpy-6.12.2/renpy/ui.py", line 434, in __call__
  File "/Applications/renpy-6.12.2/renpy/display/behavior.py", line 467, in __init__
  File "/Applications/renpy-6.12.2/renpy/display/layout.py", line 770, in __init__
  File "/Applications/renpy-6.12.2/renpy/display/layout.py", line 102, in __init__
  File "/Applications/renpy-6.12.2/renpy/display/core.py", line 127, in __init__
  File "/Applications/renpy-6.12.2/renpy/style.py", line 795, in __init__
  File "/Applications/renpy-6.12.2/renpy/style.py", line 614, in build_style
  File "/Applications/renpy-6.12.2/renpy/style.py", line 496, in expand_properties
Exception: Style property scope is unknown.

Darwin-9.8.0-i386-32bit
Ren'Py 6.12.2.1531
A Ren'Py Game 1.04.01

I hope that helps you out, Funnyguts.