Touhou Mecha [Mecha][Fantasy] (updated Jan 2013)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: Touhou Mecha: Hell's Rising Chapter 1 [Mecha][Fantasy]

#16 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

This game is this week's Group Play http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 14#p212814

heavyblade
Regular
Projects: Lucifer's Curse
Organization: Splitin2kun

Re: Touhou Mecha: Hell's Rising Chapter 1 [Mecha][Fantasy]

#17 Post by heavyblade »

This was certainly an experience! I totally love all the motion in this. The animations are very awesome and dynamic!
I love the fact that this played like an anime at some parts.

Great stuff!
Want to hire me for commissions? E-mail me at rsalimnarayanan@gmail[dot]com

Graph
Veteran
Completed: Touhou Mecha Chap. 1
Projects: Touhou Mecha, Eastern Starlight Romance
Organization: Dai-Sukima Dan

Re: Touhou Mecha [Mecha][Fantasy] (updated Jan 2013)

#18 Post by Graph »

Finally, a new release! We're now at Touhou Mecha 1.5, which includes:

-An added Extras section which includes the TM Database, Music Room and Hellcat Corner.
-A rewritten first half of Chapter 1, including a new battle scene.
-A shift from 4:3 screen ratio to 16:9. The art and GUI have been updated accordingly.

TM Database contains info on the mecha, characters and concepts of Touhou Mecha.
Hellcat Corner contains some commentary and insight to the creation of the Touhou Mecha, as well as discussing the story from a developer point of view.

You can check the first post of this topic for more info... or you can head over to the blog for the downloads.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#19 Post by Samu-kun »

I'm glad to see the update! But I'm still waiting for episode 2!

Graph
Veteran

#20 Post by Graph »

Samu-kun wrote:I'm glad to see the update! But I'm still waiting for episode 2!
Then you might be glad to know, I wrote Chapter 2 while waiting for the last music in this update!

Of course this kind of story takes a good deal longer to draw than it does to write (until a couple of Chapters later when most of the character and mecha sprites are done), but hopefully it doesn't take as long as the other releases did. If I don't have a big commission project in the meantime, I'm hoping to get the next installment out there within 4 months from now.

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#21 Post by Applegate »

Will the entire series be free, anyway?

Graph
Veteran

#22 Post by Graph »

Correct, the whole thing will be free. I neglected to clarify that in the first post. Thanks!

I considered selling at a convention at one point, but it seemed like too much trouble. People don't look for doujin material in Western conventions anyway, right?

This being my first time leading a VN project, I'd like as many people as possible to read it.

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#23 Post by Applegate »

Should I somehow feel inclined to throw money at my screen, how can I go about doing that?

CaseyLoufek
Regular
Projects: Bliss Stage, Orbital Knights

#24 Post by CaseyLoufek »

I considered selling at a convention at one point, but it seemed like too much trouble. People don't look for doujin material in Western conventions anyway, right?
The import stuff seems to be dying down but domestic indy material is getting more respect. How would the copyright laws apply in this case though?

Graph
Veteran

#25 Post by Graph »

Applegate wrote:Should I somehow feel inclined to throw money at my screen, how can I go about doing that?
Ah, hm. If that's directed at me, you can commission a bit of art from me, doesn't have to be VN related. I'm thinking of opening general commissions on DA and elsewhere when I have less VN projects going on, but in the meantime you can shoot me a PM to discuss that.

If it's directed at DSD, we did get asked about the possibility of donations at some point. The consensus was that we wouldn't know how to split it among the team, for which each member has contributed wildly varying amounts to time to each project. Also, I believe the folks running the DSD domain (faceroll.net) don't need help keeping the site up at this time. I can still pass the idea on to the team though, since it's probably been a year or two since that was asked.
CaseyLoufek wrote: The import stuff seems to be dying down but domestic indy material is getting more respect. How would the copyright laws apply in this case though?
We actually have some guidelines for that, since Touhou Project is a special case. The main thing relevant is "don't sell doujin goods through commercial channels", but I'm not sure what would be considered a doujin channel in the US, which is why I've only mentioned convention sales. (Is there any store that deals primarily with products from indie developers, but distributes physical media rather than being download-only?)

That's what I mean by "too much trouble"; no real precedent to follow here. But at least, we shouldn't run into the problem of getting a C&D for DSD's current projects.

Levrex
Veteran

#26 Post by Levrex »

This thread deserves more attention, in my opinion.
Although i'm not sure if this gains something, i just felt like writing this laudatory post after finally getting some free time to try the new version out, since this action novel is a pretty nice piece of art.

Personal impressions:

HOT DAMN!

The Work on the CGs is outstanding (especially new ones), although i kinda miss the old intro (while the new one is great, it doesn't provide an explanation as to why and by who and how the heroes ended up on the same boat, if that HUGE flying thing could be even called a boat. After reading about the reason it was removed (as i think), i humbly suggest an idea to put the old intro into the start of the second chapter — it seems like a common tactic to keep the reader tuned and interested by showing the true value of the novel first and then starting to tell the story normally).

The background in the Music Room fits very much, and the room's very existence frees me from the need to unpack the archive to listen to music files (Vision, Helios 2 and Preamble, to be precise).

Like the new resolution especially. On my old 5:4 (17'') it is pretty much indistinguishable from a movie during CG action. Very impressive.
And yeah, Okuu has a nice... sprite, as i'd like to put it that way.

Please keep up the good work on this awesome tale!

P.S. Noticed in the Hellcat Corner, line that says "could trouble for us" -> could be? could create?
If your question is solved, please add [Solved] to theme's name by editing its first post, so that the helpful guys out there wouldn't mistakenly think the problem is still unanswered and waste their time.

Graph
Veteran

#27 Post by Graph »

Hi Levrex, thanks for reading!
The Work on the CGs is outstanding (especially new ones), although i kinda miss the old intro (while the new one is great, it doesn't provide an explanation as to why and by who and how the heroes ended up on the same boat, if that HUGE flying thing could be even called a boat.
I think the why was covered by the first conversation with Kanako, though it's stated less directly than before. As much as we can state right now, at any rate; the biggest reason for Moriya helping Chireiden is intentionally left as a bit of a mystery. (Well, Subterranean Animism players sort of know what's coming up, but in the alternate universe of Touhou Mecha it's all about the execution)

I guess the nature of the alliance could use more clarification, but we'll have more of that in the next Chapter. Though I'm curious about how clear all of this is to someone who has only read version 1.5, the latest one. It's a tricky balance since the reason I changed it in the first place, was because some people didn't like all that front-loaded narration.
The background in the Music Room fits very much, and the room's very existence frees me from the need to unpack the archive to listen to music files (Vision, Helios 2 and Preamble, to be precise).
Good to hear you're enjoying the music! You just reminded me to inquire about our musician's plans for the soundtrack of this game. OverCoat just told me that he wants to officially release the individual songs for the game when Chapter 2 comes out, since there's going to be a number of new ones for that release.
Odd, I'm pretty sure I left out the nude version of her sprite...? Or maybe the way you said that sounded more suggestive to me than it's supposed to be... >_>
P.S. Noticed in the Hellcat Corner, line that says "could trouble for us" -> could be? could create?
Indeed, it's "could be". Thanks for catching that. Admittedly since this was a re-release, the testing period was very brief, but we'll hold an actual beta test for Chapter 2 when we're ready.

Talking of Chapter 2, I'm making steady progress on the new character sprites. There should be an update with screenshots within the next couple of weeks.

Levrex
Veteran

#28 Post by Levrex »

Graph wrote:
Odd, I'm pretty sure I left out the nude version of her sprite...? Or maybe the way you said that sounded more suggestive to me than it's supposed to be... >_>
Indeed. Although she is still nude in that scene with Yatagarasu, i just meant that her reworked sprite looks much better in such clothes (i would name them a pilot's uniform, if it weren't for those nice shorts).
Graph wrote:Talking of Chapter 2, I'm making steady progress on the new character sprites. There should be an update with screenshots within the next couple of weeks.
Great to hear.
If your question is solved, please add [Solved] to theme's name by editing its first post, so that the helpful guys out there wouldn't mistakenly think the problem is still unanswered and waste their time.