Kitten Crusade [NaNoRenO 2012][cat][sim] -- links fixed!

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

Kitten Crusade [NaNoRenO 2012][cat][sim] -- links fixed!

#1 Post by SusanTheCat »

You and your sister are separated at the shelter. You find out that she is in the clutches of the Green House. You need to put together a large enough clowder of cats so that you can rescue your sister.
The fighting style is like Pokemon meets Magic Pengel. There are three kinds of attacks based on combinations of three stats. Certain attacks are stronger that certain other attacks.

Stats:
- Muscle
- Sharpness
- Sneakiness

Attacks:
- Sneak Attack (Sneakiness+Sharpness)
- Death from Above (Muscle+Sneakiness)
- Roundhouse (Muscle+Sharpness)

Windows: http://www.thecatsweb.com/games/Kitten% ... -win32.zip
Mac: http://www.thecatsweb.com/games/Kitten% ... de-mac.zip
Linux: http://www.thecatsweb.com/games/Kitten% ... 86.tar.bz2
All: http://www.thecatsweb.com/games/Kitten% ... de-all.zip

Source:
available on request

Written by:
Main Plot : SusanTheCat
Cloud's Story: kaleidofish
Yuri's Story: Darkmoonfire
Rusty's Story: Anarchy

Sound Effects:
http://freesound.org

Art:
SusanTheCat

Music:
Uthorr (My awesome son!)

Can you take over the Neighbourhood in time to save your sister?

Susan
Last edited by SusanTheCat on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: Kitten Crusade [NaNoRenO2012][cat][sim]

#2 Post by papillon »

Kitties!

*downloading*

minor comment designwise - Plain white over a large area can be glaring, a little harsh on the eyes and makes it harder to read the dark textboxes. It might be an improvement to choose some sort of neutal texture background to use in the places you currently have pure white.

Otherwise this is SUPER ADORABLE. :) Not too difficult (won on my first runthrough, but that's okay, i don't think most people playing KITTIES are looking for super hard) and the system works well and is fun.
Last edited by papillon on Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by SusanTheCat »

SusanTheCat wrote:minor comment designwise - Plain white over a large area can be glaring, a little harsh on the eyes and makes it harder to read the dark textboxes. It might be an improvement to choose some sort of neutal texture background to use in the places you currently have pure white.
Thanks for the tip! I am notoriously bad at choosing colours. I always go for high contrast fully-saturated ones. Do you think a more neutral variation of the dialog's background would work?
mat_frame.png
mat_frame.png (226.26 KiB) Viewed 15249 times
(Not the fuzzy border part.)

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "

Darkmoonfire
Regular
Completed: Christmas Project
Organization: Lunarescent Wings
Tumblr: darkmoonfire

#4 Post by Darkmoonfire »

The ending picture was so cute, and I really liked reading everyone else's paths.
When I was given the option to fight the dog when retrieving Yuri's toy, I was like "What' this? I don't remember writing this", so naturally it was the option I chose, and I got creamed by the dog. It was awesome! Normally I don't like being crushed by the enemy so badly, but it really felt right for that option to be there and made me happy.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by SusanTheCat »

Darkmoonfire
I'm glad you liked it. :)
I wanted to have a fight with the dog and your story was perfect for it. It is amazing how many people try to fight the dog. Kitten vs dog --- dog wins. Numerically, the dog is the strongest opponent.
Did you like Cloud's music? My son wrote that just for him.

Susan

Darkmoonfire
Regular
Completed: Christmas Project
Organization: Lunarescent Wings
Tumblr: darkmoonfire

Re: Kitten Crusade [NaNoRenO 2012][cat][sim]

#6 Post by Darkmoonfire »

I had to go re-listen to the music because I had the sound on low, but now I have to say that I like the music, and I feel it fits the game well. Cloud's music is really fun and cute.

But I seem to have discovered a bug of some sort. When I rolled back, so I could go to a different house and hear the music for that cat, the previous house I visited stayed scouted. I was able to scout the whole neighborhood in one day.

psyduck
Regular

#7 Post by psyduck »

congrats on finishing the game, Susan. downloading it right now. thank you for the good work. :)

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#8 Post by kaleidofish »

I played this last night but then I got too tired to write a coherent post. This was a lot of fun to play! I don't usually play stat raising games, but Kitten Crusade was a happy exception. And, I loved Cloud's music (but I might be slightly biased since I wrote his scenes). :D I also liked all the other kitties a whole lot.
I fought the dog and the dog won. I fought the dog and the dog won.
...Okay now that that's out of my system. :D I actually lost twice before I finally won. Another reason why I stay away from stat raising games - I'm bad at them, haha. The ending picture made me squee. It was so cute! There were some spelling mistakes but I overlooked them all because of how cute and fun the game was for me.
Great job! Glad I was able to help out with this. :D
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by SusanTheCat »

Yay! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Now I have to hunt down the spelling errors. =^!^=

Susan

psyduck
Regular

#10 Post by psyduck »

aw, the won ending is cute. really love it. :) and the story is nice.

but, there's something odd. after defeating the other cat, the cat picture is kinda overlapping. I think it will be nice if you remove the battle scene, and replace it with a blank background.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by SusanTheCat »

psyduck wrote:but, there's something odd. after defeating the other cat, the cat picture is kinda overlapping. I think it will be nice if you remove the battle scene, and replace it with a blank background.
I debated clearing the battle screen or not. Laziness won. :) Next version I'll clear it.

Susan

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#12 Post by Obscura »

Whoa, I can't believe you guys did this. I had no idea you can program stuff like this on RenPy.

Very cute, lively, and fun, though I'm getting my behind kicked in the game!

Game play is smooth. I really like the "plan your day" set up. The music is great. I agree with Papillon about the dark textboxes. I also think it might be helpful to distinguish what your character says from another character's by using a different color or font, but maybe that's because I speed read.

Totally adorable!!!
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Wintermoon »

I quite enjoyed this. So cute! Minor complaints:
  • If I scout Yuri's house, then fetch her toy, then challenge her and win, then scout her house again, she refuses to join my clowder even though she is already part of it.
  • Tristan had no story nor even a description, which makes him feel superfluous. It might have been better to cut him from the game entirely.
  • Reading dialogue in second person feels awkward.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by SusanTheCat »

Obscura wrote:Game play is smooth. I really like the "plan your day" set up.
I took advantage of the great framework called DSE (Dating Sim Engine) found here: http://renpy.org/wiki/renpy/Frameworks
There is a "PLUS" version in the works here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=13785

One thing I love about Ren'py is how much I can bend it to my will. :twisted:
Wintermoon wrote:I quite enjoyed this. So cute! Minor complaints:
If I scout Yuri's house, then fetch her toy, then challenge her and win, then scout her house again, she refuses to join my clowder even though she is already part of it.
Tristan had no story nor even a description, which makes him feel superfluous. It might have been better to cut him from the game entirely.
Reading dialogue in second person feels awkward.
Thanks for the feedback. Tristan was supposed to have a story but I ran out of time.
He is Rascal and Sophie's father.
Thanks for noticing about Yuri's toy! I'll go fix that. Maybe you can't challenge her unless you have given her the toy.

I agree with you about the second person feeling awkward. At the beginning I was focusing on the gameplay and not on the story. As the story filled out (Thanks to my awesome writers!), the second person viewpoint made less and less sense.

Susan

Anarchy
Veteran
Projects: Fairy Tales of Innocent Children

#15 Post by Anarchy »

This was very cute! Have I ever told you that I love the opening? Simple but effective in its emotional impact. A bit sad that Tristan didn't get his own story, but that's what happens when you try to make a game in a month, ahaha~

The thing is, maybe this is just because I've played the demo way too many times, but the game felt far too easy for me. O_O I remember the demo giving stat increases from about 5-8, but this time I think I always got at least 10 on every stat gain. Maybe I just got lucky, but it made the harder fights trivial for me. I absolutely adored the boss fight though! I loved that
the old lady had her own custom attack moves and everything, and that we couldn't even see her face, it really gave me that "whoah I'm really fighting a boss now this is so frickin' exciting!" feel.
Loved loved loved loved it. Your son did a great job with the music too, it really built atmosphere!
Last edited by Anarchy on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.