Long Live The Queen (sim, commercial)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Long Live The Queen (sim, commercial)

#1 Post by papillon »

This isn't an otome game. Don't play it looking for romance, you'll be disappointed!

Long Live The Queen (webpage, with free demos)

Being a Princess is not an easy job. Being a Queen is even harder. Especially when you're only fourteen years old, and the reason you've inherited the throne is that your royal mother has just met an untimely end.

Now power is up for grabs. You may be the official heir, but much of the country's nobility would love to steal the throne for themselves. Aggressive neighbors will take advantage of any weakness to enlarge their borders at your expense. And that's not even mentioning the magical dangers which are lying in wait...

Can you survive long enough to reach your coronation?
screenshot.png
This is a game about being a cute little princess, unlocking adorable outfits, training up a huge pile of princess-maker-ish skills, and DYING A LOT. It is the branchy game of branchiness. All your choices have consequences. Everything will come back to haunt you at the most inopportune time. Invasions. Civil wars. Peasant uprisings. Assassinations. Tentacle monsters.

And of course there are secrets all over the wazoo, and a million different ways to get past all of these dangers. You could become a Magical Girl and save the day with the powers of hope and love. You could become a mad queen and chop the heads off everyone who gets in your way.

What it all boils down to is - rule the world or die trying!
Attachments
(Also, have some wallpaper)
(Also, have some wallpaper)

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Long Live The Queen (sim, commercial)

#2 Post by fleet »

How long (in terms of playing time) is the game?
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#3 Post by papillon »

that's reeeeeeeeally hard to estimate because of the game style. A single successful runthrough if you had a list of choices to make is pretty short, but people play for days dying all the time and never get to the ending. And once you do finally survive to the ending, there's a whole checklist of weird secrets and subplots to go searching for.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#4 Post by fleet »

Ok, how many words or screens?
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

natkinos

#5 Post by natkinos »

I have played the demo and bought the game.
I enjoyed playing the game *despite dying :? .
Overall, I think the plot is good (and mature) which is surprising in a stat raising game.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#6 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

fleet wrote:Ok, how many words or screens?
That's kind of a weird way to quantify this game. It isn't a traditional VN, so that information isn't going to tell you much. I will back up Papillon and say that I played for days and days (and had time to create a map for the game) before I ever survived to see ONE ending. It is almost a - puzzle, stat-raising, VN? You don't just randomly pick stats to raise - you'll quickly learn you need to have a strategy to prepare for upcoming events.

All the ways you can die are fun to discover. Something kills you one game so you learn not to make that mistake again the next game, but in preparing differently you may set off a different chain of events than transpired the last time you played.

You can unlock different outfits that affect your stats in different ways, and choose to be a cruel or kind queen or anything in-between. It's the kind of game where I had fun even when I was dying over and over again and not reaching the end, so everyone should check it out! The list of ways Elodie can die IS hilariously long.

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by lepapillonrouge »

I was wondering if the full game was out already, but that's mainly because I picked up the demo. |D

Angie Gallant (the girl who did the LP for Hatoful Boyfriend) is playing Prince Maker so I started looking for games similar to it, and I really want to buy this game. ;w; it's just...why did you start selling it during con season...

Oh well. If I have money around mid-July, I really wanna pick this up.
deviantART
---------------------

Anarchy
Veteran
Projects: Fairy Tales of Innocent Children

#8 Post by Anarchy »

The list of ways Elodie can die IS hilariously long.
QFT. I've had it for a couple days now and I AM STILL DYING.
I played for days and days (and had time to create a map for the game
Right now I'm thinking that I should go through the entire game meticulously and note down every single consequence of each choice so I can map out a master plan for breaking the game. Right now I'm just save-scumming like a bitch and it's not working because of the incredibly complex consequences of choices and stats and I keep going back in time further and further until I inevitably say EFF YOU GAME and start a new playthrough. I LOVE IT. SO MUCH. It's an incredible time sink, I really need to stop playing it and work on stuff that I actually need to work on OTLlll

So yeah, in short, I wouldn't worry about not getting your money's worth. :3

Any plans for a Steam release for this one, papillon? :D

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#9 Post by Anna »

Oh I've seen this in progress for a while now, congratulations on finishing it! I'll give it a go :)~

edit:

All right, I went through a part of the demo, so I'll give my honest impression.

First of all the music in the game is really fitting and nice, sometimes a little repetitive, but since it changes quite quickly from scene to scene, it doesn't become annoying. I really love the track in the first scene of the game; it's very pretty and emotional. The art also fits well. It's polished and the main character is adorable, I really like her a lot!

Furthermore, the story and characters seem pretty interesting, though I wonder why they need to have a teenage queen instead of letting the king rule for now? Perhaps I missed something. I'm enjoying the dialogue so far though, and there are tons of scenes and plot to pull you through the game, instead of the usual grinding with skills, which makes it quite enjoyable. That means a lot coming from me, because I usually dislike stat-raising sims for this reason.

Now here's the only thing which bothered me, but it's kind of the feature of this game, so I think this is more something of a personal preference than anything else. So, what bothered me was that you were punished for not being able to look into the future. There were random events, such as a snake jumping out at you, which require a specific kind of skill to be raised. This is only possible to succeed if you have played the game already, but (in my opinion) it feels like cheating to make a game unplayable unless you know what's going to happen. It takes any control you can have away from the game, because the first time you just don't know which skills of the 15+ you should be paying attention too. Only the bonuses and penalties on the skills help with deciding on this, but even then you can't see these 'tests' coming.

I guess some people like replaying and memorizing the events to adjust their tactics in the next playthrough, but for me it just made the game annoying to play.

tl;dr: high production values, cool game, but not my cup of tea.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#10 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Anna wrote:....though I wonder why they need to have a teenage queen instead of letting the king rule for now?
You see this happen sometimes in England's monarchy. Basically it is because a king or queen may have just MARRIED into the royal family, as a king or queen consort and thus can never assume the throne themselves, only rule BESIDE the true monarch. They are not of royal blood in other words. But their child DOES have royal blood through the one parent, and thus CAN sit on the throne. In the case where the true monarch dies and leaves the king or queen consort behind with a child, the surviving parent becomes a regent. A regent acts as the representative of the true ruler until the true ruler is old enough to make decisions and govern effectively.

Most of the time people want the true ruler to take over as soon as possible, because they are leery of regents making power grabs. I know it is a bit silly, but that's royal politics and customs for you!
Anna wrote: So, what bothered me was that you were punished for not being able to look into the future. There were random events, such as a snake jumping out at you, which require a specific kind of skill to be raised. This is only possible to succeed if you have played the game already, but (in my opinion) it feels like cheating to make a game unplayable unless you know what's going to happen.
Most of those types of events can be solved multiple ways with multiple types of skills. And as you may have noticed, that event is so early that it doesn't kill you regardless of how badly you flub it up. I think it all adds to the real feeling of being a young queen with many political enemies - some who are even smiling to your face. Real monarchs don't know the future either - they just have to make the best choices they can off existing information.

Anna wrote: I guess some people like replaying and memorizing the events to adjust their tactics in the next playthrough, but for me it just made the game annoying to play.
Yeah, I guess so. I still had buckets of fun even on the playthroughs I died on. None of the deaths ever felt too cheap to me, I would just slap my forehead and go "Of course! Why didn't I see that coming?!" And I'm probably a horrible person, but there were several ways to die that made me bust out laughing.

I think you have to adjust your mindset for this game - I went into it initially trying to play it like Princess Maker or Cute Knight, but that doesn't work. The goal isn't to see what ending you get by raising certain stats, it is to see if you can SURVIVE to see an ending based off the stats you raised, and there are several different configurations of stats that will work. The difficultly actually kept me hooked far longer than all the different endings of Cute Knight.

"Can you survive to reach your coronation?" :twisted: No Elodie, no you very likely cannot. :lol:

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#11 Post by Anna »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote: You see this happen sometimes in England's monarchy. Basically it is because a king or queen may have just MARRIED into the royal family, as a king or queen consort and thus can never assume the throne themselves, only rule BESIDE the true monarch. They are not of royal blood in other words. But their child DOES have royal blood through the one parent, and thus CAN sit on the throne. In the case where the true monarch dies and leaves the king or queen consort behind with a child, the surviving parent becomes a regent. A regent acts as the representative of the true ruler until the true ruler is old enough to make decisions and govern effectively.

Most of the time people want the true ruler to take over as soon as possible, because they are leery of regents making power grabs. I know it is a bit silly, but that's royal politics and customs for you!
Ooh! I didn't know that, but it does explain things. How interesting, thanks for informing me.
LateWhiteRabbit wrote: Most of those types of events can be solved multiple ways with multiple types of skills. And as you may have noticed, that event is so early that it doesn't kill you regardless of how badly you flub it up. I think it all adds to the real feeling of being a young queen with many political enemies - some who are even smiling to your face. Real monarchs don't know the future either - they just have to make the best choices they can off existing information.
True, but the only way to complete this game is by using the information from the future, so this realism doesn't do much for me to begin with. Also, it can be realistic, but that doesn't mean that automatically makes it fun.
LateWhiteRabbit wrote: Yeah, I guess so. I still had buckets of fun even on the playthroughs I died on. None of the deaths ever felt too cheap to me, I would just slap my forehead and go "Of course! Why didn't I see that coming?!" And I'm probably a horrible person, but there were several ways to die that made me bust out laughing.

I think you have to adjust your mindset for this game - I went into it initially trying to play it like Princess Maker or Cute Knight, but that doesn't work. The goal isn't to see what ending you get by raising certain stats, it is to see if you can SURVIVE to see an ending based off the stats you raised, and there are several different configurations of stats that will work. The difficultly actually kept me hooked far longer than all the different endings of Cute Knight.

"Can you survive to reach your coronation?" :twisted: No Elodie, no you very likely cannot. :lol:
Well I understand that the idea is to see if you can survive, but I feel cheated because you can't really influence or fight for that without knowing what's going to happen, so it's more like an entire gamble. And then when you do die, you have to replay the entire game while memorizing events - to me that's just work instead of fun.

Though, I didn't notice the multiple possibilities thing for surviving! That does make it a lot better and I don't mean to say this game is bad at all, but let's just say it doesn't fit everyone's preferences. I'm glad you had a lot of fun with it and hope other people do too ;)!

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#12 Post by Hijiri »

I have to say, while I'm not exactly fond of stat rasing sims, I actually enjoyed the demo for the game. Now if only I had more money...
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#13 Post by jack_norton »

Finally had some time today to play it, for just a few minutes sadly: is a pretty neat game and a cool idea. I don't mind that you die so often, since I actually enjoy those scenes (I'm mad I know) :lol:
Another great game, congrats!
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Showsni »

And it's out in time for the Diamond Jubilee of our real queen! Downloading the demo now...

Arcanum
Veteran

#15 Post by Arcanum »

I just downloaded the demo and loved it! How unfair it is that to have money to buy it I have to work… and with work and classes I barely have time to play =0=!

Guh. My fingers are slipping towards the registering button. I guess I'll start procrastinating on my projects and homework… *cry* (the price is really accessible too… with the dolar so high it's a blessing T_T)

Temptation won me =< *content is being downloaded*
When I play more of it and have time to comment I'll do so!