Cinders - (PC/Mac/Steam/Switch/PS4/Xbox) [commercial]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
KittyKatStar
Veteran

Re: Cinders - a serious take on a fairytale [commercial]

#76 Post by KittyKatStar »

I really enjoyed the article. ^_^ Sounded like there were quite a few obstacles, and it's interesting to see how important networking/social sites are now.

TeeGee
Regular
Completed: Solstice, Cinders, Co-Op, Magi, Phantasmat
Projects: Bonfire
Organization: MoaCube
Tumblr: moacube

#77 Post by TeeGee »

Thanks, everyone. Glad you found useful.

Now to try to write the third part before we all get old... ;)
Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#78 Post by Obscura »

That was an extremely informative article, thank you.

What I'm really excited about is Cinders (eventually) being ported to the iOS. I know I'm not the only one who feels the gameplay, graphics, and presentation are perfect for iPads--I'm pretty convinced you're going to find quite a receptive audience there. :)
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#79 Post by KittyKatStar »

Obscura wrote:That was an extremely informative article, thank you.

What I'm really excited about is Cinders (eventually) being ported to the iOS. I know I'm not the only one who feels the gameplay, graphics, and presentation are perfect for iPads--I'm pretty convinced you're going to find quite a receptive audience there. :)
Actually gonna buy Cinders (once it's out on ipad) for a few people who use their ipad to read all the time. Wonder if they'd like the idea of an picture CYOA (my mom grew up with those in the 70's).

TeeGee
Regular

#80 Post by TeeGee »

Thanks. Yeah, the iPad port is coming eventually. Probably after Solstice is out. We don't have resources to commit to it now, so we'd rather work on something that's more predictable for us.

By the way, we're strongly considering making a sequel to Cinders with Sophia as the main character. There's more info about it on our tumblr, if you are interested :).

Link: http://tmblr.co/ZnOk-sjzQh6n
Tom Grochowiak

TeeGee
Regular

#81 Post by TeeGee »

Cinders is 50% off until May 18th among 32 other indie titles available in the huge Show Me The Sales promotion. Here's more info: http://moacube.com/news/show-me-the-sales/
Tom Grochowiak

Vilhelmina
Regular
Organization: Cassis Connection Studios

#82 Post by Vilhelmina »

I just bought the game - SO looking forward to playing it when I get some time to spare. <3
Artist/writer by night, MD/PhD student by day
Looking for medical fact checking / advice for your game? PM me!

art gallery: Vilhelmina @ deviantART | Founder of Cassis Connection Studios

Fairy Godfeather
Regular

#83 Post by Fairy Godfeather »

I just started to play Cinders, I was certain that I was going to love it, I should have played a demo first though. Is there a way to make it so that the text all appears on the screen at once as opposed to it appearing one word at a time? I did turn on fast-text but even with that it's really, really annoying me. The slow speed of the text, and/or the constant need for clicking is just making the game unplayable for me.

TeeGee
Regular

#84 Post by TeeGee »

Nope. I haven't thought of that :(. It seems our next game needs an instant text option.
Tom Grochowiak

Fairy Godfeather
Regular

#85 Post by Fairy Godfeather »

I would love an instant text option.

Is there a way that one could be patched into Cinders? Or a mod or something to do it? I desperately wanted to love Cinders. I love fairytales. I loved the idea of this game that was aware. I also really enjoyed Phantasmat, which was the last ever casual game which I purchased. I don't play casual games anymore, but that one I enjoyed.

I'm a really quick reader, so the one word appearing at a time is painful. If I click to make the text all appear at once I sometimes end up skipping bits by accident, which is rather annoying in itself. It also makes things difficult for me.

I think Cinders is absolutely gorgeous. The production values are so high, and it's glossy. The one other tiny niggle I had, was that it would be absolutely amazing if it was voice-acted. However, I can see that the sheer amount of text in the game could make the cost to do that somewhat prohibitive and I'd rather no voice-acting than bad voice-acting.

I just wish I could persevere through the text appearing as it does. I'll try again later, maybe I'll get used to it.

TeeGee
Regular

#86 Post by TeeGee »

Yeah, I'll try to patch it into Cinders. I just can't promise it's going to be very soon, as our schedule is really tight at the moment. In the worst case, I'll send you a special version with this feature always on, and make a proper public update later. If that would work for you, please send me an email (address is on our website) and let me know if you are using the PC or the Mac version.

Sorry for the inconvenience :).
Tom Grochowiak

Fairy Godfeather
Regular

#87 Post by Fairy Godfeather »

Oh wow. I was just so overwhelmed by the kindness of your offer and that you'd be so nice as to make a fix for me. I said to myself, I'll persevere, I'll load up the game again and I shall just click and click through the dialogue. It's not ideal, but it's a minor inconvenience compared to the inconvenience you were willing to put yourself through.

The initial start was annoying. I'd have quit after the first five minutes and not gone back if it was a demo, so I'm glad that I just bought the full game because somewhere along the time I just got dragged into the story, an hour slipped by without me even noticing, and it's turning out to be everything I'd hoped it would be.

I had to stop because my eyes were hurting but I'll definitely be going back to play some more.

I'm not actually much of one for Visual Novels, I've played only a handful. And I will admit I keep looking for the break where I'll have a puzzle to perform, or some hidden objects to find. I miss them a little, which is a strange thing to say because I generally hate mini-games, especially if they're added as busy-work and to just make the game last longer.

I've not played any of that style of games since Phantasmat.

It just takes a little getting used to the lack of puzzles, of just having raw story, story where what I do actually does matter, as opposed to solving puzzles which do absolutely nothing at all.

I'm rambling a bit and my eyes are hurting but I just wanted to say thank you so much.

TeeGee
Regular

#88 Post by TeeGee »

Thanks :). But I can still send you that fix, if you want. There's no reason for you to suffer through the game at a pace you find annoying, and we could really think about this feature earlier :).

And yeah, visual novels are a very specific genre. But I actually like the fact that there's no gameplay or puzzles. It allows you to relax and let the story really sink in.
Tom Grochowiak

Fairy Godfeather
Regular

#89 Post by Fairy Godfeather »

I loved Cinders. The various negatives I could say about it have already been addressed far better than I could. At times it felt like the characters were lecturing, they were too aware of the fairytale tropes and it was a bit heavy-handed. But I understand the reasons behind that, that it was a learning curve, and I'm sure that the second game will be far better than Cinders was.

Cinders was good.

I really liked Sophia and Gloria. I liked how my actions could have effected them and change their attitudes. In my first playthrough I had been desperately hoping I could matchmake one of them with the Prince, but that would have opposed the themes of the game. Since having Cinders arrange things for them would have removed their own agency, and it would have just meant they were trading Carmosa's dictatorship for another form.

I thought that Perrault was superfluous, or that Tobias was. Which isn't to say I didn't like them, they were both more indepth than the Prince was. But I think one of their paths could have been removed completely and/or traded off to the Prince and it would have made for a tighter story.

Who was that Shady Character? I liked Ghede. I actually liked how she and Perrault had a past. I'd have liked to have discovered far more about my mother, the contract, if the fairy did kill her and all of that.

I managed to get past my initial irritation and now I can press control to skip. I would have liked to have been able to select scenes, like on a DVD so I could replay parts. I'd have liked more saved game slots, there were nowhere near enough. Admittedly with more save spots I'd save at every single choice and explore the options that way.

The artwork was gorgeous. The way the endings done were great. It was such a glossy, polished game. I was glad not to be forced into a romance. I was glad that there was the option to escape with Ghede, that was my preferred ending, the one I'd hoped was possible, and I was so glad that it was there.

I would have liked to have been able to become Queen and make things better for my family, not to cut off contact with them completely, but I seem to have not found the combination to get that yet.

Anyway it was a great game.

TeeGee
Regular

#90 Post by TeeGee »

We've published a lot more info on the possible Sophia-centric sequel. Check it out, if you are interested.

And here's how we imagine Sophia to look in the game.

We wanted to make her seem more mature and knowing what she wants, to reflect the growing up she went through during the events of Cinders. We also want to bring everything to Solstice level of quality, add character animations, and such.

Sounds good? :)
Tom Grochowiak