Blister (KN)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
clannadman

Blister (KN)

#1 Post by clannadman »

Based on Til' A The Seas by H.P. Lovecraft, a short dystopian kinetic novel about the last remnants of mankind living in a world experiencing heat death. A young boy collapses only to be captured by bandits and taken to meet a storyteller - a man with knowledge far exceeding their own. And all the while the Syrene watches over them...

The game contains 396 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 6,098 words,
for an average of 15.4 words per screen.
The game contains 0 menus

Download links:

Windows - http://www.4shared.com/zip/UBY9wb0-/Blister-win32.html
- http://www.mediafire.com/?bzrx1xddc48jse9

Mac - http://www.mediafire.com/?g0g152q4ab48k15

Linux - http://www.mediafire.com/?dzsbdodanzbrj9u
Attachments
Title screen
Title screen
Last edited by clannadman on Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

Re: Blister (KN)

#2 Post by Blane Doyle »

People need a 4Shared account to download from your link, and some who don't have one may be unwilling to create one to do so. Just a heads up! You may get more people to play this if you upload to an alternate mirror that allows access without an account.

That said, Lovecraft? Has me sold. Downloading now!

clannadman

#3 Post by clannadman »

Bane Reiko wrote:People need a 4Shared account to download from your link, and some who don't have one may be unwilling to create one to do so. Just a heads up! You may get more people to play this if you upload to an alternate mirror that allows access without an account.
Not sure how to do that... I'm new to 4shared in general. I used to use MegaUpload before it went down.

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#4 Post by Blane Doyle »

clannadman wrote:
Bane Reiko wrote:People need a 4Shared account to download from your link, and some who don't have one may be unwilling to create one to do so. Just a heads up! You may get more people to play this if you upload to an alternate mirror that allows access without an account.
Not sure how to do that... I'm new to 4shared in general. I used to use MegaUpload before it went down.
4Shared doesn't allow anyone without an account to download anymore, and a few sites, like FileServe, no longer allow file sharing at all now. (MU's takedown scared the bejezzus out of them, they only host personal files now.)

I was an MU user myself before all the crazy stuff went down, but I am now a MediaFire user, mostly. It still works for files you create yourself, and people without accounts can download from it. It's a decent secondary mirror, has a good limit size wise (200MB isn't as bad as others), it's good for small games and games split into parts.

There are other sites like Jumbofiles that apparently work rather well. RapidShare is also ok, I suppose. Kinda slow though.

Cloud services are an ok service, but they're tiny. Usually only 2-5 GB an account. Still, they are useful in a pinch, and often offer "public" folders with links to download things placed in them. DropBox and SugarSync are the best here.

4Shared is ok, but a site without the 'you must have an account' feature may draw more traffic is all. I already had one so it didn't much matter to me. XD
Last edited by Blane Doyle on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clannadman

#5 Post by clannadman »

Bane Reiko wrote:
clannadman wrote:
4Shared doesn't allow anyone without an account to download anymore, and a few sites, like FileServe, no longer allow file sharing at all now. (MU's takedown scared the bejezzus out of them, they only host personal files now.)

I was an MU user myself before all the crazy stuff went down, but I am now a MediaFire user, mostly. It still works for files you create yourself, and people without accounts can download from it. It's a decent secondary mirror, has a good limit size wise (200MB isn't as bad as others), it's good for small games and games split into parts.

There are other sites like Jumbofiles that apparently work rather well. RapidShare is also ok, I suppose. Kinda slow though.

Cloud services are an ok service, but they're tiny. Usually only 2-5 GB an account. Still, they are useful in a pinch, and often offer "pubic" folders with links to download things placed in them. DropBox and SugarSync are the best here.

4Shared is ok, but a site without the 'you must have an account' feature may draw more traffic is all. I already had one so it didn't much matter to me. XD
Okay, I've just got a Mediafire account and am uploading now. And I think you meant 'public' folders...

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Locked-In, Sunrise, The Censor
Organization: Lucky Special Games
itch: saguarofoo

#6 Post by saguaro »

This is different. I enjoyed the non-Lovecraftian writing parts as well as the parts taken from the short story and I like the atmosphere, especially the soundtrack, which is perfect mood-wise. I did like the aesthetic of the art, but I didn't like the two anime-style sprites that are used near the middle. The style was so different from what I'd seen up to that point that it was very distracting, the hooded versions of the bandits fit much better visually IMO.

I'm not sure I understood the ending. I understand the original short story's ending, but not how you incorporated it into this story. This is an interesting sort of homage, though, and I enjoyed playing something different.

I've actually never read any Lovecraft before (somehow?) and this game inspired me to read the original short story, which it borrows long passages from. It's a great story and he's a great writer, so thank you for exposing me to his work.

fantasygeeki
Projects: Fatal Alignments
Organization: Simulated Being

#7 Post by fantasygeeki »

I tend to choose the stories I read at random, and totally skipped the first part of the post noting that this story uses stuff straight from Lovecraft. I spent a lot of the story going "wow, this is the most well written visual novel I've ever read" :lol: . I'm not sure where the Lovecraft ended and your writing began but you must have been doing something right because it meshed well.

From the perspective of someone who hasn't read Lovecraft (after reading this I realize that I need to) I was left confused as to what the ending meant. It felt like there was something missing which made it difficult to understand what the characters were meant to symbolize.

As for the artistic design of the story, this was a great example of how simplicity in design can be one of a vn's greatest attributes. The only thing that struck me was how the sprites used were so out of place in front of the filtered photos used in the background.

Overall, the story certainly did the job as it sort of "hit me in the gut" and now I've already got a tab open to read Til' A The Seas. So thanks.