Senior Year

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
--~~--

Re: Senior Year

#61 Post by --~~-- » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:36 am

Generally, I agree with kara24601.

I actually thought that the girls personalities were all quite believable and nice, though I agree that it may be too forward for some people, but I think that it's really quite nice.
I love ALL the voices; to all who did them GREAT JOB!!! I absolutely love the voices, though I think that unfortunately the game on its own without them isn't really standout or great - sorry. Still, I quite like the characters, and it certainly seems to be one of the more character driven games - without engaging chars games fall apart IMO - so very well done on that.
Everything I have to say has already been quite brilliantly expressed in good English; I just wanted to let you know that I think it's a great effort, and it's masterfully done.
(Review wise, 9/10)

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#62 Post by azureXtwilight » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:09 am

:D Yea!!!
1 problem for me tough...
:oops: Good games has lots of Mb's......

Midnighticequeen
Veteran
Completed: Bunni and Kitty, Sweethearts, Tiesa's Tales
Projects: Wish
Organization: Ice Queen Games
Tumblr: icequeenstudios

#63 Post by Midnighticequeen » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:37 am

I just want to say congratz on making the first fully voiced game on Renpy!

I've finished all the girls' stories on this game and liked how all of them seemed to have their own individual stories, problems, and interests, this made them more real than regular 'card board' characters. Despite that, the game itself wasn't really all that....realistic.

These girls are way easy to sleep with, all you need is a date or two and just like that, all the work is done for real. They were all to quick to like the main character and for what really? The main character wasn't once described as hot, god-like or sexy as hell, but yet he has a choice of all these eager women to choose from. What was worse was that he didn't have to do much to get there attention at all, he just had to show up and he was instantly hit on.

It would have been more realistic if he himself had to fight to get even one of the girls attention, or if any one of them played hard to get. It was a nice story, but I think you should have drew out the romance a lot more. All it took was like two dates and he could sleep with any of them, where's the challenge in that? Most guys I know get bored if the catch was that easy...and they would probably lose interest fast if that was the case.

Other than that I kind of liked it, and the fact that the girls where all different. I wish you luck on your next project! Is it going to have voice actors too?

Jake
Support Hero

#64 Post by Jake » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:39 am

Midnighticequeen wrote: All it took was like two dates and he could sleep with any of them, where's the challenge in that? Most guys I know get bored if the catch was that easy...and they would probably lose interest fast if that was the case.
Huh. While I think I had a similar complaint about Senior Year - that the relationship-development part was too brief - you're presuming that guys only go after girls for the 'wrong' reasons. If a guy falls in love with a girl, rather than just chasing skirt to get laid, why does he care if he doesn't have to put much work into it?
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

#65 Post by Guest » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:55 pm

Gaaa, after reading all of this I really want to play it, but the game never starts when I start the file! Can anyone help me? Please?

Ramidel
Regular

#66 Post by Ramidel » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:47 am

Noticed the same problem. I open the file but the game doesn't start. Is something up?

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#67 Post by EwanG » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:10 am

If you are trying to run this under Windows Vista there is a known issue with the version of RenPy that was used at the time SY was distributed. I have not repackaged the game with a newer version, and so you could try running it in Win XP compatibility mode but I can't promise that will work. Alternately, you can wait for the port I'm doing to Flash (same story but with a few new scenes - but dropping the voice files) which should be out early next year (2009).
Working on something... might even be something good :D

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#68 Post by EwanG » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:18 am

OK, those of you who said you wanted to play Senior Year, but couldn't get it to run, you can now play the flash version (sans voices but with some extra scenes) at:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/NaweG/college-romance

$inker
Projects: My First Visual Novel... Yeah!

#69 Post by $inker » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:45 am

Just wanted to say thanks for such a great game! I think the characters are very believable and the artwork is good, the use of voice acting was great. I think the voice acting really made the characters come forward as "solid" individuals as is so hard to do in this kind of story (colored text labels and character development is great too, don't get me wrong). One feels more of the intended emotion the writer tries to portray with good voice acting. The game ad a good replay value to it to, because you knew there were other characters to explore when you just played it for the first time. I also wanted you to know the link to the flash version doesn't work, the site you link too can't find it. Hope to try it when it comes back up. Great game, good inspiration for those who want to make their own game!
-$inker
~$inker~

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#70 Post by EwanG » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:13 am

My bad. Forgot I had used the Kong link here. They removed the game from their site because they felt it was "too mature" for their users (insert your own joke here).

Known good link:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/479926

Of course you lose the voice acting with that version, but the reviews on there imply that the game probably is still ok.

Thanks for the review AND the reminder.

#71 Post by Guest » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:11 am

How did you get the backgrounds? I know that you put the link from your game bu I dunno how you get the backgrounds! They're just so cool! You gotta tell me how you get those!

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#72 Post by EwanG » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:28 am

Guest wrote:How did you get the backgrounds? I know that you put the link from your game bu I dunno how you get the backgrounds! They're just so cool! You gotta tell me how you get those!
Ummm... go to the link mentioned, and then download the images? If you're asking what I did beyond that, then it was just a matter of resizing, "fixing" the colors to make sure all the backgrounds used a common palette, and then adding some atmospheric effects so that it was easier to create sunset and evening versions of several of the backgrounds.

kantocan1
Regular

#73 Post by kantocan1 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:32 am

Very nice game, though quite easy to get one of the girls. Though i wonder what the main
character looked like? Amazingly it's a fully voiced game AND free, very nice....
I love GxB/Otome games! (Same thing really).

Anyone here like Bleach?

teankun
Regular

#74 Post by teankun » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:38 am

I decided to revisit this and try Annette since last time I quit after she took her top off on campus. Overall I was disappointed even though I really shouldn't have been suprised.
When we first meet her, she really seems to be a skank, then you see another side of her when she makes dinner and refuses sex in bed, but then skank level is increased to uber-status when she wants to instead have sex in public areas. My hopes were raised when she is saved from death and there is a touching scene, but shot down when she refuses commitment to marriage. Tangent--I understand the main reason most marriages that are preceded by cohabitation end in divorce is because the "no commitment" mindset, never really leaves.
In short, it seems touching scenes meant almost nothing
because relationship is practially totally physical. BTW, what is going to happen when they forget protection or her period? Just get out of commitment with an abortion? And, why did he get mad at Becky when she wanted him to be her "boytoy", but not Annette?
Seems, inconsistant to me.

BTW, I just upgraded to Windows 7, and it failed for me to, so I had to use the flash version
Looking for single, adult, Asian, female Latter-Day Saint

Anime convention videos at Youtube channel

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#75 Post by EwanG » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:39 pm

Teankun,
Given your signature line, I'm not sure how I could rewrite her in a fashion you would find acceptable. She was modelled after someone I knew ( no, not intimately) in college, but I have no idea how things ended up after. That said, I personally would find her less believable if she were a "free thinker" in every way except for sex. Guess it comes down to personal experience.

Thanks for at least giving the game a chance!