Coming Out On Top (BxB, Dating, Comedy) (News 11/15)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Veniae
Veteran

Re: Coming Out On Top (BxB, Dating, Comedy) - UPDATED 7-24

#31 Post by Veniae »

Okay, I finished it. Twice. (Not counting that time where it ended with
Mark nerding out to that game.
xD)

In any case, good job! Both 'true' endings I unlocked were extremely satisfying! The relationship box was really handy, it helped me a lot during the second playthrough. (Yes, I admit to scrolling back and correcting my choices, problem?)

Ahem, here's my feedback. Long live huge spoilers!
On the story
It was engaging, it flowed well and seemed realistic. The choices seemed rational and had logical outcomes, and the characters reacted reasonably. The humour was great, I burst out laughing a lot of times.

The themes were handled well, I liked how his coming out wasn't the central point, but fit organically in the whole story. The focus on the teacher-student relationship, rather than the 'ohmigod ur gay' part was great, thumbs up for that!

On the characters
I loved all of them, really! The trio's friendship was at the same time natural, heart-warming and hilarious. Penny's obsession with apps was a cute touch, and Ian is soooo adorable I just want to hug him. At one point, I briefly thought that he seemed a little interested in Mark, but that is probably just me and my shipping goggles.

Alex is also such a cutie *-* In a sense, he seemed... hmm, flawless, but it wasn't jarring, you know? I like how he remained ethical (for the most part /snicker), and his internal conflict was well done. Especially in his speech in one of the true ends, it was great.

The side characters were also believable, and Edwina was so quirky and cute!

On the art
It's nice and pleasing to the eye, I like the GUI and the sprites, for the most part. Some of the expressions, though, looked a bit odd (Penny's grin comes to mind - it seems forced). As an aside, I love your shading!

And now that I'm (mostly) done gushing, I noticed a couple of typos/other minor mistakes. Here they are:
'embrace you with a hug' - sounds awkward. Both words are synonyms.
'seems have fallen' - seems to have
'Already on a first name basis with you're professor' - your
'I've taken some time reflect what happened' - to reflect on
'Ian's works here' - Ian works
'Dare to dream' - omitted a period at the end
'You can't bare to hold his gaze' - can't bear
'Alex stumbles over his words' - omitted a period
'you're his biggest thread to getting tenure?' - threat
'I'm done, here Mark.' - I'm done here, Mark.
'I think wants to party.' - don't remember the context, but you're missing a subject
At one place, it was Campus Mapper, and at another - Campus Finder
'It will save you trip to the biology building' - the trip

Aaaand that's about it. ^^
All in all, a great game! Thank you for making it and I hope there was at least something helpful in my comment. Looking forward to your next game! xD

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#32 Post by Obscura »

Oh my, thank you Arelune! This:
It was really funny and I was never bored.
Ah! This was my number one goal with the game, above all else, so thank you kindly. If somebody gets bored = big fail on my part. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

Thanks for your other comments as well. It's good to know where I didn't do so hot...like with the mini-endings. I would have loved to make them more colorful at least, and put in CGs for each one.
One easy thing I think you should change: the little icon. It still shows the placeholder Eileen. Making your own, makes the game even a little more polished. Played the 23/7 version, but I don't think it has changed.

Thanks for reminding me! I totally forgot about the icon. I'll get that changed for the next version.
And yes, the updated versions aren't going to have any new content (at least for the next few days :D ). Just some grammatical fixes and a couple of instances where I used the word "Mark" instead of a different name, if the player chose one.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#33 Post by Obscura »

Veniae, first of all, I really appreciate the huge review. Thanks from the bottom of my heart!
Veniae wrote:Okay, I finished it. Twice. (Not counting that time where it ended with
Mark nerding out to that game.
xD)

In any case, good job! Both 'true' endings I unlocked were extremely satisfying! The relationship box was really handy, it helped me a lot during the second playthrough. (Yes, I admit to scrolling back and correcting my choices, problem?)
I don't know how many people play without scrollback...that's like 'hardcore gamer' territory for me. :lol:
On the story
It was engaging, it flowed well and seemed realistic. The choices seemed rational and had logical outcomes, and the characters reacted reasonably. The humour was great, I burst out laughing a lot of times.

The themes were handled well, I liked how his coming out wasn't the central point, but fit organically in the whole story. The focus on the teacher-student relationship, rather than the 'ohmigod ur gay' part was great, thumbs up for that!

On the characters
I loved all of them, really! The trio's friendship was at the same time natural, heart-warming and hilarious. Penny's obsession with apps was a cute touch, and Ian is soooo adorable I just want to hug him. At one point, I briefly thought that he seemed a little interested in Mark, but that is probably just me and my shipping goggles.

Alex is also such a cutie *-* In a sense, he seemed... hmm, flawless, but it wasn't jarring, you know? I like how he remained ethical (for the most part /snicker), and his internal conflict was well done. Especially in his speech in one of the true ends, it was great.

The side characters were also believable, and Edwina was so quirky and cute!
Oh man, this is pretty much the reaction I was hoping for during the entire five months of writing and creating this thing. The fact you had this response makes all that time worth it. :mrgreen:
On the art
It's nice and pleasing to the eye, I like the GUI and the sprites, for the most part. Some of the expressions, though, looked a bit odd (Penny's grin comes to mind - it seems forced). As an aside, I love your shading!
Oh thank you! Nuxill did the GUI (she made a second one too, but I liked the original one for the purposes of the game). Thanks for letting me know about the expressions. Yes, Penny's is odd. I kept chuckling every time I played it though because it looked so ridiculous, so I kept it in. But I guess I was laughing for the wrong reasons. :lol:
And now that I'm (mostly) done gushing, I noticed a couple of typos/other minor mistakes. Here they are:
'embrace you with a hug' - sounds awkward. Both words are synonyms.
'seems have fallen' - seems to have
'Already on a first name basis with you're professor' - your
'I've taken some time reflect what happened' - to reflect on
'Ian's works here' - Ian works
'Dare to dream' - omitted a period at the end
'You can't bare to hold his gaze' - can't bear
'Alex stumbles over his words' - omitted a period
'you're his biggest thread to getting tenure?' - threat
'I'm done, here Mark.' - I'm done here, Mark.
'I think wants to party.' - don't remember the context, but you're missing a subject
At one place, it was Campus Mapper, and at another - Campus Finder
'It will save you trip to the biology building' - the trip
Thanks for the time you put in creating this list. I'm going to fix the errors for the next release.
All in all, a great game! Thank you for making it and I hope there was at least something helpful in my comment. Looking forward to your next game! xD
My absolute thanks to you, Veniae. You've been amazingly helpful.
website

Cinnamoon
Regular
Projects: Crystal Aria ~Starlight (20%), かわいいなリズム (38%)
Organization: CoffeeCat

#34 Post by Cinnamoon »

Downloaded it. Played it. LOVED IT.

I was stalking you work-in-progress thread, tbh. And I'm really happy that you finished it ^^
The game was really cool. That art~ <3 It isn't all "manga-shojo-yaoi-kawai", and I love it :)
I have to admit, I was expecting something cheesier. But, hey, the story is really mature !
Ian and Penny are so funny~ I loved them.
The GUI was so classy <3 I liked it very much.

I can't wait to play other games from you~

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#35 Post by Obscura »

Cinnamoon wrote:Downloaded it. Played it. LOVED IT.

I was stalking you work-in-progress thread, tbh. And I'm really happy that you finished it ^^
The game was really cool. That art~ <3 It isn't all "manga-shojo-yaoi-kawai", and I love it :)
I have to admit, I was expecting something cheesier. But, hey, the story is really mature !
Ian and Penny are so funny~ I loved them.
The GUI was so classy <3 I liked it very much.

I can't wait to play other games from you~
Thanks so much for your positive feedback, Cinnamoon! Please, stalk away. :wink:

I'm sure Nuxill will be pleased to hear about her GUI.

Yes, I haven't actually played or experienced much manga-shojo-yaoi-kawai (is that the official terminology? :) ) so I could make this the only way I know how. :lol: Glad you liked the characters, and if I put in some cheese for my next game, I'll think of you...

No seriously, thanks for your comment...it means a lot to me!
website

babyfish
Veteran
Projects: Maid of Midsummer (LifeSim)
Location: (' )< Swimming in your fishbowl, nomming on flakes.

#36 Post by babyfish »

Absolutely loved it, a very sweet, funny, and all around adorable game. There's also the fact that for a comedy light-romance VN, it actually left me hanging onto every word in suspense, and I absolutely couldn't wait to see how everything turned out.

And thank goodness for the closure at the end, especially when it came to the 'best' ending. =3

Please make more games~
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#37 Post by FatUnicornGames »

Well I played through again. I really like this game a lot. I look forward to more paths!
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

Mini_Moshi
Regular

#38 Post by Mini_Moshi »

I really enjoyed it! The dialogue was both hilarious and heart warming at times, a difficult to master combination, but you succeeded.
I thought the friendship between the trio was nicely portrayed. You made it believable and interesting. Much kudos for that.

The more erhmmm... intimate parts were well written as well. Pretty steamy stuff :D

For some reason I thought that Ian had a thing for Mark. He just came across as a bit jealous sometimes :lol:
Thank you for making this game! My neighbors probably didn't appreciate it as much as I did, seeing as I was cracking up in the middle of the night. Oh well. :lol:

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#39 Post by Pyonkotchi »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Ian is totally Marksexual

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#40 Post by Obscura »

babyfish wrote:Absolutely loved it, a very sweet, funny, and all around adorable game. There's also the fact that for a comedy light-romance VN, it actually left me hanging onto every word in suspense, and I absolutely couldn't wait to see how everything turned out.

And thank goodness for the closure at the end, especially when it came to the 'best' ending. =3

Please make more games~
Aw, thank you babyfish! As I said in my blog my #1 goal in writing is "Don't Be Boring" so I'm glad I succeeded with you. Well I played through again. I really like this game a lot. I look forward to more paths!
FatUnicornGames wrote:Well I played through again. I really like this game a lot. I look forward to more paths!
Thanks Crystal!!! I have three more relationships I eventually want to add into this game...I'm hoping you'll find them as enjoyable, if not more.
Mini_Moshi wrote:I really enjoyed it! The dialogue was both hilarious and heart warming at times, a difficult to master combination, but you succeeded.
I thought the friendship between the trio was nicely portrayed. You made it believable and interesting. Much kudos for that.

The more erhmmm... intimate parts were well written as well. Pretty steamy stuff :D

For some reason I thought that Ian had a thing for Mark. He just came across as a bit jealous sometimes :lol:
Thank you for making this game! My neighbors probably didn't appreciate it as much as I did, seeing as I was cracking up in the middle of the night. Oh well. :lol:
MiniMoshi--thanks for your feedback. There hasn't been a lot of feedback on the racier scenes, so I'm glad you enjoyed them. LOL, I'm pretty sure if you explained why you were laughing, your neighbors would just be...confused...
Pyonkotchi wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Ian is totally Marksexual
If I make the expanded version, Mark and Ian will definitely have some conflict between them... :mrgreen:
website

Veniae
Veteran

#41 Post by Veniae »

Pyonkotchi wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Ian is totally Marksexual
He sooo is, man. :D
Obscura wrote:
If I make the expanded version, Mark and Ian will definitely have some conflict between them... :mrgreen:
PLEASE. PLEASE, DO IT.

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#42 Post by FatUnicornGames »

Obscura wrote:Thanks Crystal!!! I have three more relationships I eventually want to add into this game...I'm hoping you'll find them as enjoyable, if not more.
I dunno, it is hard to beat a teacher route for me. Though if you make a disagreeable guy with glasses I'll have to renege on that thought.
:D
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#43 Post by Obscura »

Veniae wrote:
He sooo is, man. :D
Obscura wrote:
PLEASE. PLEASE, DO IT.
Heh. Stay tuned for some friction...

@ Crystal
I dunno, it is hard to beat a teacher route for me. Though if you make a disagreeable guy with glasses I'll have to renege on that thought.
Heehee. And noted.
website

Gumm_p0p

#44 Post by Gumm_p0p »

I'm not really a BxB kind of fan and would have zip past this but I have to admit to occasionally stalking this and after a few days conflicting whether to play this or not and ended up loving it.
And this ^ I'm totally rooting for this although I still like Mark and Alex together. Alex is just too adorable at the 3rd ending.

A good job on the friendship relationship however and some way I always get a 5/6 on Ian's and a 6/6 on Penny's. Just saying this part you don't need to answer this.

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#45 Post by Obscura »

Gumm_p0p wrote:I'm not really a BxB kind of fan and would have zip past this but I have to admit to occasionally stalking this and after a few days conflicting whether to play this or not and ended up loving it.
Wow, thanks Gumm_p0p!!! You see, the powers that be told me to create this game for the sole purpose of pulling you towards the darkside. And now that you have...you are bound to play all my future Boy Love games. And love the hell out of them. :lol:

No seriously, thank you. I take that as quite a compliment.

Re: Ian, I'll post a walkthrough at some point. :shock: I better make sure it's not bugged.
website