Coming Out On Top (BxB, Dating, Comedy) (News 11/15)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

Re: Coming Out On Top (BxB, Dating, Comedy) - MINOR UPDATE 8

#136 Post by Obscura »

D'awww thanks...hopefully I'll get enough Kickstarter backers to help me get the game made, and I'll be offering free copies to for those who can't afford it (if they help me with some beta testing and publicity.)
koneko wrote:I am really not that bothered about it being commercial, I believe in that something that is good needs to be rewarded, and in a world as today, the best way we can reward you for such a wonderful game, beside great feedback and such, is though financial support, I believe that people such as you don't charge too much for these games, just enough so that you won't lose money on it, that your time spend on doing this is rewarded, and so that you maybe one day can make another game.

That aside I too can't wait for this game to be out, even if it will be first in a long time, if you ever need any help with anything be sure to advertise about it, I mean sure I can't draw...and I can't figure out how to program either...Okay I am useless..Here take my money *throws money at the screen*
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

KashyaCharsi
Regular

#137 Post by KashyaCharsi »

I'll test it then.

RenZero
Regular

#138 Post by RenZero »

Okay, I finished it, got the bad ending (which Mark ends alone xD) because I didn't like Alex (lool), now re-playing to get the Alex ending (anyway I like Ian xD). Oh, and BTW, I read you were working on a long version in which there'll be more character's route o.o That's really interesting.
I love the music you made for the game (it remembers me of the sims' music), the backgrounds and the sprites are pretty nice, keep it up! :D

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#139 Post by Obscura »

@KashyaCharsi
Sweet!

@RenZero
Aw, poor Alex, REJECTED!!!! Thanks for checking out the game. Ian will be waiting for you in the long version. :D
You liked the music, huh? Must have been the 1,000,000 hours I put into those Sims games...I guess they WERE an influence...
website

Veniae
Veteran

#140 Post by Veniae »

By the way, I had a dream about your game, Obscura. When you published the info about Uncut, I read it late in the night, and after that I went to bed... And Alex was in my dreams. xD Can't remember what happened, though.

KashyaCharsi
Regular

#141 Post by KashyaCharsi »

Maybe the same as Mark 8) I am not into blond men, either.

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#142 Post by Obscura »

Veniae wrote:By the way, I had a dream about your game, Obscura. When you published the info about Uncut, I read it late in the night, and after that I went to bed... And Alex was in my dreams. xD Can't remember what happened, though.
Oh suuuuuure you can't.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
KashyaCharsi wrote:Maybe the same as Mark 8) I am not into blond men, either.
Blond men usually get portrayed as the evil ones in movies...
website

KashyaCharsi
Regular

#143 Post by KashyaCharsi »

Not that, but I am more into the dark-haired artsy type. Cute blond girls are ok, though :mrgreen: But in the uncut version I think Brad would be my first love interest. Or Ian. He is sexy on your new pic.

koneko

#144 Post by koneko »

I don't know about Ian being sexy in the new pic..the jersey attitude and the fingers don't do anything for me Xp I kinda imagine Mark doing a facepalm in the background and Penny hitting Ian over the head any second.

Clinity
Projects: Unmasqued

#145 Post by Clinity »

Okay, so... I just have to say, I adored this.

Being a gay man myself, I try to find games that I can relate to, and it always occurs to me that I've probably played all of the English yaoi games under the sun, and many an otome game as well. This was a godsend, and I enjoyed every minute of it. Of course, going through the game with the answers I myself would've chosen in the situations,
I ended up with ending 2, because I'm not only awkward but also shy when it comes to being around any guy I have a crush on, so I didn't have the confidence that I needed to obtain Alex until my second playthrough, when I beefed it up.
The only real problem I had with it was that, in a lot of the conversations, all of the answers would lead to the same response from the person you're speaking to, so you're not sure what kind of effect you have on them unless you have the relationship counter. It's not a terrible thing, and I was still able to enjoy it regardless. I also know that it's more time-consuming to input different responses, but since you're working on the uncut version I just figured I'd point it out. I haven't reviewed many games here, though, so for all I know, someone's probably already said something along those lines.

Anyway, I'm probably going above and beyond by calling it a phenomenal game, but in the world of visual novels, it really is. It stood out to me, and I know that I'll be picking up the uncut version as well, whether commercial or not.
Current Projects
Unmasqued: My first visual novel. Will more than likely feature a mixture of regular, BL and otome qualities.
Purchasing a Blue Yeti microphone in order to start delving into voiceover work.

KashyaCharsi
Regular

#146 Post by KashyaCharsi »

Yeah, I was also unsure when to be respectful and when to be intrusive.

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#147 Post by Obscura »

@Clinity

You just made my fucking month. Seriously. Thank you kindly for not being shy and leaving your feedback.

I am beyond delighted you enjoyed this. Ecstatic. I guess it means a lot to me that you're a gay guy saying this. That's just one thing I can never be too confident about...being a het woman, I can only rely on what I read and hear from gay men themselves to shape what Mark and the other characters are like. I mean, I don't look at slash fiction or yaoi to inform my choices...I try to read stuff that I believe is actually written by gay men, I listen to them talk, read their comments in forums. And I don't do this because I expect to attract a gay male audience. (I resigned myself early on that the majority of men generally just don't read romance, whether they're straight or gay.) The reason I do it is because it's more compelling and interesting to me to write a character who might think and sound like a dude in real life. Personally, that's just far more attractive to me than a character who fits the traditional yaoi archetypes, I guess.

I should add these are just my methods of approaching the task of writing compelling characters, in any case. And sorry for the giant wall of text...not sure what made me go on like that. :oops:

The criticism about getting the same dialogue responses is spot on. (& thanks Kashya). In an ideal game, every conversational choice would merit a different response, and I'm gonna be working to make sure that happens in the longer game. I also definitely want to flesh out Alex's conversations with Mark a bit more, since he's got his own story to tell.

In any case, thanks a million for your kind words, from the bottom of my heart. Your feedback is definitely one of those responses every game maker lives for. Seriously.

I'll definitely be looking out for your project as well. I mean, we're obviously looking for the same thing. There's such a lack of English BL games. I thought a college guy who just came out of the closet was such a quintessential story...replete with drama and comedy and sexy times. And I was really puzzled nobody had made anything like this. So I made the game I was looking for. And it sounds like you're doing the same. That's just awesome.
website

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#148 Post by Obscura »

Hi folks,

Beta version of Redux in this thread.

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 45&t=16701

Please give it a look and tell me what you think. I'm trying to reach out to non-Visual Novel players with this version, FYI. I'm still reworking some of the endings and choices, but this is close to complete.
website

KashyaCharsi
Regular

#149 Post by KashyaCharsi »

My TvTropes page is also developing nicely. I hope I won't have to change it too much.

Valkyrie

#150 Post by Valkyrie »

When I'll try to download the walkhrough "This file is currently set to private"
I only get 2 ending of 3 ending , what should i do? :(