Coming Out On Top (BxB, Dating, Comedy) (News 11/15)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

Re: Coming Out On Top (BxB, Dating, Comedy) - NEWS 7/26

#61 Post by Obscura »

Destiny wrote:I like it overall, BUT
The eyes.
Don't ask me, but his eyes bug me.
He seems more...aggressive in the new version. Maybe because you kept the eyebrows furrowed, but made the eyes small.
He has a somewhat piercing gaze, but one that makes me think he wants to rape or slaughter someone :'D
LOL, I guess he looks pretty rapey. Thanks for the feedback!

Sometimes you look at something for so long you don't see it anymore.
chocojax wrote:I think you could make the shading a little bit more hard, since he'll have a more defining face and facial feature's shadows being sharp = more manly. :v!
Good idea. I'll try it out, thanks chocojax!
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#62 Post by Arowana »

He has a somewhat piercing gaze, but one that makes me think he wants to rape or slaughter someone :'D
Lol! And I was going to say I thought the new eyes made him look more attractive. I wonder what that says about me hahaha. :lol:

I don't think I ever commented before (so terrible, sorry), but I played the demo way back when and really enjoyed it! I'm quite excited to see that the full game is finally out - it's at the top of my to-play list! :D
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

Veniae
Veteran

Re: Coming Out On Top (BxB, Dating, Comedy) - UPDATED 7-25

#63 Post by Veniae »

Obscura wrote:Hee. That would be wonderful!!! I'll let you know Veniae...I really appreciated your proofreading help on the first release...I would like to credit you in the one coming out in a few weeks. I'd like to add your website for Elements or some link. Let me know what it is and if that's okay.
D'aw, that'd be great! Though I don't think I helped that much, but still, if you want a link, this is my dev blog. Thanks a lot and drop me a PM or something when/if you need any help! ^^

As for the updated Alex sprite, I really like the jaw! That expression + the smaller eyes make me think of those jocks in the high school movies, though. xD

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#64 Post by Reikun »

SOOO!!!! I played this, got all 3 main endings (and a few minor ones) and overall it was awesome! I love your writing, Obscura ;u; It made me laugh on many, MANY occasions. SO GOOD. The writing was just full-on frank goodness. I'm a VN player guilty of quitting if the first 2-5 minutes of gameplay can't hold my attention, but in Coming Out on Top I don't think I ever ONCE felt bored. I think the balance of thoughts/narration/dialogue was done beautifully! It was interesting how you used 2nd person perspective in the narration but kept Mark's thoughts 1st person :D Kudos for pulling that off!

I liked that the choices were pretty varied and it was never totally obvious which choice would score you the most points with Alex/your friends. It was fun to play through the second time and get to see how many points you win/lose from Alex depending on your choices xD
My favorite is when you lose a ton of points if you say you want an "anatomy lesson *wink*" and Alex gives you that wtf face xD
Is there any way to get 75/75 with Alex or 6/6 with Penny and Ian?? I only had 70/75 when I got ending 3 :0
A weird thing: when I click on 'credits' from the Main Menu, I get a blank screen? It looks like this. I'm on Windows.

And expanded version with more routes would definitely be interesting if the enjoyment I got out of this version is any indication :3 I'm rooting for you!!

Re: New Alex
I like the new face shape more (looks more 'Adonis' to me compared to his first sprite). But his eyes in the new one are starting to lean towards the "narrow bishounen eyes" xD so be careful with that!! You might want to try making them rounder like his old eyes?
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#65 Post by Obscura »

Ok folks, almost finished updating Alex's sprite (just gotta do the wonky mouths.) Thanks for the feedback. I think you saved him from looking like a serial killer.

Still don't know if he looks hot here or like a date rapist. But he passed my 3:30 in the morning "I'm-gonna-stop-these-neverending-one-pixel-adjustments-before-I-shoot-myself" test. So this is how he's gonna look. *rubs eyes*
alex final sprite 18 just head.png
And no, he won't be sporting stubble for the majority of the game.
This is just for a single scene.
Also, whoops. I guess he lost his clothes in a windstorm.
website

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#66 Post by Obscura »

Reikun wrote:SOOO!!!! I played this, got all 3 main endings (and a few minor ones) and overall it was awesome! I love your writing, Obscura ;u; It made me laugh on many, MANY occasions. SO GOOD. The writing was just full-on frank goodness. I'm a VN player guilty of quitting if the first 2-5 minutes of gameplay can't hold my attention, but in Coming Out on Top I don't think I ever ONCE felt bored. I think the balance of thoughts/narration/dialogue was done beautifully! It was interesting how you used 2nd person perspective in the narration but kept Mark's thoughts 1st person :D Kudos for pulling that off!
*sheds womanly tear*
Thank you so much. I'd like to think that's why I take so long to write...because I'm extremely ruthless with what I write...but I think it's because I spend too much time on the lemmasoft forums in order to avoid the painful corner of hell that is writing...

Yep, re: the 2nd person -- basically you just played a VN by someone who knows almost zilch about Japanese VNs. I don't know the common tropes used in Japan (like tsun and moe, etc. etc.), only the tropes used in U.S. choose-your-own-adventure books, text adventure, and RPGs. I'm so used to 2nd person, I can't imagine doing it the other way...
I liked that the choices were pretty varied and it was never totally obvious which choice would score you the most points with Alex/your friends. It was fun to play through the second time and get to see how many points you win/lose from Alex depending on your choices xD
My favorite is when you lose a ton of points if you say you want an "anatomy lesson *wink*" and Alex gives you that wtf face xD
Is there any way to get 75/75 with Alex or 6/6 with Penny and Ian?? I only had 70/75 when I got ending 3 :0
Well, I know if you get all bow chika wow wow with him in the office, you can't get a perfect score with him. I have a walkthrough up (link's in the first post.) You can see exactly the decisions you need for a perfect score.
A weird thing: when I click on 'credits' from the Main Menu, I get a blank screen? It looks like this. I'm on Windows.
OMG, I didn't even think about THAT credits screen. *dies laughing* Will fix for next update. Thank you for letting me know, though. And given that you're the only person who reported it to me, you might be that one person out of every hundred who actually takes a look at credits. Pat yourself on the back. Thanks again for the heads up. I'd like to say credits are unnecessary because my name is "Obscura" after all, but no, I really just forgot.
And expanded version with more routes would definitely be interesting if the enjoyment I got out of this version is any indication :3 I'm rooting for you!!
Thanks. I'm trying to decide if I should do a kickstarter or maybe try to go commercial since it will be a huge undertaking. But everybody who's been helping me with all these bugs and crap gets a free copy! So, no worries.
Re: New Alex
I like the new face shape more (looks more 'Adonis' to me compared to his first sprite). But his eyes in the new one are starting to lean towards the "narrow bishounen eyes" xD so be careful with that!! You might want to try making them rounder like his old eyes?
I just posted the revised version. I made his eyes less reptilian than serial-killer-Alex, but not as round as original Alex. I also did an insane number of teeny-tiny adjustments. I'll probably use that version unless there is some kind of rebellion...thanks for the feedback!
website

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#67 Post by Destiny »

Reikun wrote:Is there any way to get 75/75 with Alex or 6/6 with Penny and Ian??
It's even possible to get more then those %D
I had him with 75 points and there were still at least one choice left ;)
You only have to ALWAYS pick the one with the most points (thanks to rollback and saving not thaaaaat hard).
With the friends...
I had Penny with 6, but Ian was stuck at 5 points ôo

@Alex with glasses
Hm...
Now he looks like a teacher with an "ORLY" attitude xDD
But that is still better then the other pic. The other one freaks me out a little, this one is totally ok (stubbles xDb)
Last edited by Destiny on Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#68 Post by Obscura »

Now he looks like a teacher with an "ORLY" attitude xDD
Is this a...a spoiler? :lol:
website

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#69 Post by Destiny »

ROCL (rolling on couch laughing) xDDD
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#70 Post by Obscura »

@Destiny
Waooo could you spoiler part of your post up there about him looking like a you-know-what? Sorry...I just dunno if anybody looking at this thread hasn't played the game or not. Though I admit my photo looks exactly like how you describe him. :mrgreen:
website

Veniae
Veteran

#71 Post by Veniae »

Oh yay, liking the revamped version!

Aileo
Regular
Projects: Unnamed short project
Organization: [ctrl] + minds

#72 Post by Aileo »

So I finished playing all of the endings and here are my thoughts:
So I pretty much love your game.

I love your art. It's nice to have a game not look like typical anime/manga art. The gui is functional and doesn't detract from anything. Someone already mentioned the blank credits screen. I didn't notice any spelling or grammar errors, mostly because I wasn't looking for them. Everything is just nice.

I was going through the story and I truly thought these were believable people. I like how Mark being gay isn't entirely the main focus of the story, but it's still so very important to his development. This is a couple I could really root for. I like Ian, he's a good friend, even though he seems a little jealous of Mark being out of reach for most of their last semester. Penny is a tad weird, but I like her as well. Actually she reminds me of myself a little, being an IT major with a few close male friends. I like how supportive Mark's friends were, and how they also would be willing to tell him the things he needed to hear. I think Graham's last name is supposed to be a silly pun and a bit of foreshadowing. I felt very bad for Edwina, but she should have known better than to get involved in Graham's scheme. But I can identify with wanting to do all you can to help someone even though it seems wrong. And Alex, what can I say? Totally hot teacher, and I like how he respects people's boundaries and is passionate about teaching.

The game was funny and bittersweet (for me it was ending 1, when I didn't get enough points to date Alex because I made a few mistakes and Mark clearly still wasn't over him) and many other emotions that I really love to feel when I am playing games or reading. So THANK YOU for making me feel, and thank you for introducing me to these wonderful people who seem like real folk.
The effort and passion you put into your first game is really wonderful. I am looking forward to more of your work and the extension of this story!

MikaMonster

#73 Post by MikaMonster »

Wow! I had to create an account just to leave some feedback!

I've been really into the otome/dating games/visual novel genre as of late and have played quite a few. I found this and decided to play it just because I am a fan of BxB romances. I was not disappointed! It was very entertaining and I found myself laughing more than once.

I rather liked the choices I got to have and my only complaint is that I wish I could have went for Ian (as other people on this thread said, I think he's Marksexual). I look forward to the new update of it and I would really enjoy getting to see Penny's cousin (sounds like a stud).

Thank you and great work! This is definitely ranked in my favorites!

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#74 Post by Obscura »

Arowana wrote:
Lol! And I was going to say I thought the new eyes made him look more attractive. I wonder what that says about me hahaha. :lol:

I don't think I ever commented before (so terrible, sorry), but I played the demo way back when and really enjoyed it! I'm quite excited to see that the full game is finally out - it's at the top of my to-play list! :D
@Arowana...thanks for your interest! Hope you enjoy it. Hahaha, I like the sexy squinty eyed look myself. I make all my characters like that in games like Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, etc.
Veniae wrote:
Obscura wrote:Hee. That would be wonderful!!! I'll let you know Veniae...I really appreciated your proofreading help on the first release...I would like to credit you in the one coming out in a few weeks. I'd like to add your website for Elements or some link. Let me know what it is and if that's okay.
D'aw, that'd be great! Though I don't think I helped that much, but still, if you want a link, this is my dev blog. Thanks a lot and drop me a PM or something when/if you need any help! ^^
Thanks for the info!!! :mrgreen:
website

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#75 Post by Obscura »

Destiny wrote:
Reikun wrote:Is there any way to get 75/75 with Alex or 6/6 with Penny and Ian??
It's even possible to get more then those %D
I had him with 75 points and there were still at least one choice left ;)
You only have to ALWAYS pick the one with the most points (thanks to rollback and saving not thaaaaat hard).
With the friends...
I had Penny with 6, but Ian was stuck at 5 points ôo
Yeah, the scoring is set up a little weird right now...I'll be fixing it up in the next version.
Aileo wrote:So I finished playing all of the endings and here are my thoughts:
So I pretty much love your game.

I love your art. It's nice to have a game not look like typical anime/manga art. The gui is functional and doesn't detract from anything. Someone already mentioned the blank credits screen. I didn't notice any spelling or grammar errors, mostly because I wasn't looking for them. Everything is just nice.

I was going through the story and I truly thought these were believable people. I like how Mark being gay isn't entirely the main focus of the story, but it's still so very important to his development. This is a couple I could really root for. I like Ian, he's a good friend, even though he seems a little jealous of Mark being out of reach for most of their last semester. Penny is a tad weird, but I like her as well. Actually she reminds me of myself a little, being an IT major with a few close male friends. I like how supportive Mark's friends were, and how they also would be willing to tell him the things he needed to hear. I think Graham's last name is supposed to be a silly pun and a bit of foreshadowing. I felt very bad for Edwina, but she should have known better than to get involved in Graham's scheme. But I can identify with wanting to do all you can to help someone even though it seems wrong. And Alex, what can I say? Totally hot teacher, and I like how he respects people's boundaries and is passionate about teaching.

The game was funny and bittersweet (for me it was ending 1, when I didn't get enough points to date Alex because I made a few mistakes and Mark clearly still wasn't over him) and many other emotions that I really love to feel when I am playing games or reading. So THANK YOU for making me feel, and thank you for introducing me to these wonderful people who seem like real folk.
The effort and passion you put into your first game is really wonderful. I am looking forward to more of your work and the extension of this story!
Oh wow, thanks for your feedback. It means a lot to me!!! The only reason I think I finished making this is because the characters felt real to me. Penny and Ian are friends I feel most people would like having (if they don't already). I'm glad they felt believable to you. I hope next Alex is still hot to you, he'll be revised for the next mini-release.
MikaMonster wrote:Wow! I had to create an account just to leave some feedback!

I've been really into the otome/dating games/visual novel genre as of late and have played quite a few. I found this and decided to play it just because I am a fan of BxB romances. I was not disappointed! It was very entertaining and I found myself laughing more than once.

I rather liked the choices I got to have and my only complaint is that I wish I could have went for Ian (as other people on this thread said, I think he's Marksexual). I look forward to the new update of it and I would really enjoy getting to see Penny's cousin (sounds like a stud).

Thank you and great work! This is definitely ranked in my favorites!
OMG, thanks for taking the trouble to make an account to comment on the game, MikaMonster! Yeah, I pretty much made this because there were hardly any BxB's when I checked out the OELVN database at the beginning of this year. Thankfully it looks like many more are on the way. :)

Yes, there is an entire storyline with Ian that I didn't manage to put in this short version because it's about as involved as Alex's story. And you may very well see Penny's cousin in the future :wink:.
You apparently got the hint. :)
I'm definitely gonna try to make the big version of the game exceed all your expectations...stay tuned.
website