Locked-In [mystery, drama] - English, Dutch, German

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ngareci
Regular
Completed: Grinning Heart: the meeting & the voyage, Nacira

Re: Locked-In [mystery, drama] - version 1.1 08/10

#31 Post by ngareci »

I love how you pack this one so neatly. The music is very suitable, the story is good (I still got 5 endings here)
This VN is very nice! And very worth to play!
Completed Project
Image Image Image
===========================
Deviantart

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Locked-In, Sunrise, The Censor
Organization: Lucky Special Games
itch: saguarofoo

#32 Post by saguaro »

Thank you, ngareci, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Kessie
Regular

#33 Post by Kessie »

Wow, what can I say...
I loved every sound, piece of text, moment this Visual Novel had to offer.
I personally favour visual novels with multiple choices because I'd have more control over the story and endings however in this case, I didn't even mind. I also understand it would be incredibly hard to incorporate more choices with the main Jac's conditions. lol
I only wish the story could have lasted longer, truly delightful.

Looking forward to more of your work.

wordlesswriter
Regular
Projects: ~La Dame de la Mer~

#34 Post by wordlesswriter »

Wow, I must say that I really, really enjoyed this. The silhouettes and clean graphics really gave it such a great style. I also liked your use of words and definitions- it sort of reinforced the minimalistic feel to the game. Overall, just stylistically great. :)

I actually liked how few choices you had to make. It made the game better for replay, IMO. It made me eager to find all of the endings.
(Still haven't gotten endings 1 and 7. D:)

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran

#35 Post by saguaro »

Kessie wrote:Wow, what can I say...
I loved every sound, piece of text, moment this Visual Novel had to offer.
I personally favour visual novels with multiple choices because I'd have more control over the story and endings however in this case, I didn't even mind. I also understand it would be incredibly hard to incorporate more choices with the main Jac's conditions. lol
I only wish the story could have lasted longer, truly delightful.

Looking forward to more of your work.
Thank you for playing! I'd like to incorporate a more choices and player control in my next project.
wordlesswriter wrote:Wow, I must say that I really, really enjoyed this. The silhouettes and clean graphics really gave it such a great style. I also liked your use of words and definitions- it sort of reinforced the minimalistic feel to the game. Overall, just stylistically great. :)

I actually liked how few choices you had to make. It made the game better for replay, IMO. It made me eager to find all of the endings.
(Still haven't gotten endings 1 and 7. D:)
Thank you! I wondered if people would like the lack of choices/plethora of endings, it seems to have worked out all right in this case, but I don't think I'll ever do a project with that many endings again. It wore me out.

eternalwishess
Regular

#36 Post by eternalwishess »

I love the theme and graphics in this! Especially the game play!
Hopefully you'll make more like this in the future. Too bad this one was a bit short :'( It was fun while it lasted.
Call me αίкσ, hehe. C:

rasburn
Regular

#37 Post by rasburn »

I really liked the way you made the major choices (and I got all endings). To be sure I didn't miss anything I tried out all combinations of the minor choices as well, and was a little disappointed when they had little effect :P

The game is well made, and I think the characters are mostly very lifelike. Though I like the endings, I think some of the endings are maybe a little short because "the other endings explain more".
With that said, I think that the "Dead" ending is my favorite, and shouldn't be longer. The suspense and surprise is great, both in that ending and in other parts of the story.
I'm also really impressed with all the polish that went into the game! The animations are a nice touch, especially the birds and the turning cogs / clock.

And I quite like Charles as well :P

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran

#38 Post by saguaro »

eternalwishess wrote:I love the theme and graphics in this! Especially the game play!
Hopefully you'll make more like this in the future. Too bad this one was a bit short :'( It was fun while it lasted.
Thank you!
rasburn wrote:I really liked the way you made the major choices (and I got all endings). To be sure I didn't miss anything I tried out all combinations of the minor choices as well, and was a little disappointed when they had little effect :P
Yeah, I felt a little weird about that, because I've always maintained that choices should matter and the game had so few choices to begin with.
The game is well made, and I think the characters are mostly very lifelike. Though I like the endings, I think some of the endings are maybe a little short because "the other endings explain more".
With that said, I think that the "Dead" ending is my favorite, and shouldn't be longer. The suspense and surprise is great, both in that ending and in other parts of the story.
I'm also really impressed with all the polish that went into the game! The animations are a nice touch, especially the birds and the turning cogs / clock.

And I quite like Charles as well :P
The ending you mention was the hardest to figure out how to do; I'm glad it worked.

Everyone seems to like Charles. I kinda wish I'd given him more screen time.

RunicV
Veteran
IRC Nick: RunicV

#39 Post by RunicV »

:D Just wanted to pop by and say it was a brilliant game. I really liked your use of sound effects and animations. My favourite animation was the one with the waiter walking by. I liked the one with the ice cubes, too, but I kept expecting whiskey to be poured in. XD

The storyline of the game was pretty cool. Although there were so little choices, it was nice that the ending changes drastically depending on who you decide to trust.

I got the "boss" ending on my first try.
Random, but the reason I trusted Kimber was because I thought that if it came to her and Delilah fighting, she would be more likely to win, rather than Delilah. And I selected Sasha because she was the nicest.

The romance between Delilah and Nolan was a bit awkard for me, since I had this image of Nolan being an eighty-something year old, and Delilah was around forty-something in my head. I was like, "._. Ohhkayyy..."

I also didn't know that it was a lesbian story, thought it was straight. -_-" That's my own fault. Thanks to that for a while, I imagined Jacqueline as some guy/genderless person.
I also liked you using birds to represent the nurses, and the animations with them attacking
Kimber
or
Nolan
was good.

This was a beautiful game. ^_^
Hatred: the absence of love.
Please, treat me with kindness.

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran

#40 Post by saguaro »

Thank you!
Yeah, Nolan does have a kinda old-lady vibe (and her silhouette is curmudgeonly too). I think originally in my mind she was much older, but when I added the romance bit I decided she was just a few years older than Delilah.

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

#41 Post by ludeshka »

I enjoyed this very much.
Keep in mind I'm an old lady, when I say this totally reminded me of Dallas or Dynasty, you know, all those conspiracies within a family to seize power! Powerful women in suits! Dramatic accidents! Possibly cute drivers! (Hey I couldn't see him, he might be cute XD)

I can't say I liked Jacqueline, but I...respected her, like you respect a mafia boss. "Boss" was one of my favourite endings, btw. :)
It was very interesting to play as her.
I really enjoyed it. I had no idea of what to expect, and I really liked it. The presentation was so elegant and classy. Those animations! (Teach me!!! XD)

I will wait for your next game!

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran

#42 Post by saguaro »

ludeshka wrote:I enjoyed this very much.
Keep in mind I'm an old lady, when I say this totally reminded me of Dallas or Dynasty, you know, all those conspiracies within a family to seize power! Powerful women in suits! Dramatic accidents! Possibly cute drivers! (Hey I couldn't see him, he might be cute XD)
Ha, yes, it is pretty pulpy. I think soap opera is an apt comparison.

And I won't lie to you. Charles is smokin'.
I can't say I liked Jacqueline, but I...respected her, like you respect a mafia boss. "Boss" was one of my favourite endings, btw. :)
It was very interesting to play as her.
I'm glad you said that, it was the vibe I was shooting for. I think generally for an unlikeable protagonist to "work" they have to be a character that, at least on some level, the reader can respect or admire (in terms of basic qualities: intelligence, determination, whatever). Otherwise you're stuck reading about some asshole you hate.
I really enjoyed it. I had no idea of what to expect, and I really liked it. The presentation was so elegant and classy. Those animations! (Teach me!!! XD)
I will wait for your next game!
Most of the examples in this tutorial are from Locked-In. I'd like to continue adding to it as I learn things.

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=16604

izukwon
Regular
Projects: Saundersi: Level 7

#43 Post by izukwon »

Wow I love the Silhouettes, they remind me of the iPod posters no, really. I'll play the game. Get back to you later~

darkphilious

#44 Post by darkphilious »

I might check this game out later. It looks interesting from what I can tell.

frederic09
Regular
Projects: La Valse des Saisons (The Season's dance) - 0.03% done

#45 Post by frederic09 »

ok, completed the 8 endings.

Sprites and backgrounds are nicely associated, and it was just with 3 (black, white, grey) colors.

I didn't liked the music, my first reaction when i hearded the beginning of the intro song, was to turn off my speakers.

Ok i think that's all :D
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

My first VN project : The Season's Dance (the title might change). More info soon.