Locked-In [mystery, drama] - English, Dutch, German

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

Re: Locked-In [mystery, drama]

#16 Post by azureXtwilight »

First off, I really like the use of images! Loving the opening scene when the car hits and the rain... also the birds! I really love the graphic you use for this game.

Second, you've created a great use of ambience here. It feels like I'm Jacqueline and hears all the noises, all the sound of door and everything. It's awesome.

And for the story,
I knew that something isn't right with that doctor right away, and then the romance with Delilah... What an interesting twist :wink: And my favorite ending will certainly be "Boss", family will always be family ;)
I also think there should be more backstory, like Charles and Nolan's connection to her coma.
Overall, a truly enjoyable game. Keep up the good work :D

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Locked-In, Sunrise, The Censor
Organization: Lucky Special Games
itch: saguarofoo

#17 Post by saguaro »

azureXtwilight wrote:First off, I really like the use of images! Loving the opening scene when the car hits and the rain... also the birds! I really love the graphic you use for this game.

Second, you've created a great use of ambience here. It feels like I'm Jacqueline and hears all the noises, all the sound of door and everything. It's awesome.

And for the story,
I knew that something isn't right with that doctor right away, and then the romance with Delilah... What an interesting twist :wink: And my favorite ending will certainly be "Boss", family will always be family ;)
I also think there should be more backstory, like Charles and Nolan's connection to her coma.
Overall, a truly enjoyable game. Keep up the good work :D
Thank you, I'm glad you liked it. You're not the first person to wonder about back story. I haven't decided if I'll try to add more content or if I'll just leave it as it is, but I've been thinking about it.

Ishikatsu
Regular
Projects: Nemuri

#18 Post by Ishikatsu »

I have to say, this game is pretty amazing. From visuals to writing, everything felt proffesional. Use of cutscenes was very distinguished and tasteful. All in all, I loved the dark and mature theme this game had. My favourite endings were "Boss" and "Lucky". Got them on my first and second playthrough :D

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by saguaro »

Thank you for playing! I like those endings too because they help balance out the darkness you mention. Otherwise, too bleak.

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran

#20 Post by saguaro »

VNs Now reviewed the game and quite rightly pointed out a number of real-world inaccuracies. Great review, very thorough, check it out.

It's a valuable lesson. I didn't research everything I was writing about and someone noticed. And in some instances, I wanted to tell a certain story, so I fudged reality to make elements work the way I wanted them to (the "family business" style handing-down of the firm, for example).

Some of it can be corrected and some of it can't. I'm about to start work on version 1.1, and this review has given me some things to think about in addition to the comments here. I'm thrilled that JP reviewed the game, it's very exciting to have a blog like VNs Now notice the game and comment on it. I'm supposed to be on my way to work right now, but when I saw there was a review I had to stop and read it and post about it here.

FragmentedBergyo
Regular

#21 Post by FragmentedBergyo »

Bragging rights are the best kind of rights. Right after human rights.
Really enjoyed the game. I just wonder if Jacky will ever manage to fully recover.
I can only compliment the graphical presentation. The use of silhouettes really fit with this and the short cut-ins for when Jacky heard sounds in the room were also very effective.
Looking forward to your next work.

Arelune
Regular

#22 Post by Arelune »

Not sure what good I can still say after that huge in-depth review, lol.
Presentation is great. I love the intro. Really, it made me all excited somehow. :D
Those old French songs are great mood givers too. But I might be a bit biased, because I like those songs.

It was kinda short. I was suprised when I reached the ending. Loved the use of the dictionary though at the end.
Somethings I'd like to know:
Why an alone end when you decide to trust everyone?
And, why no mention of Charles?

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran

#23 Post by saguaro »

FragmentedBergyo wrote:Bragging rights are the best kind of rights. Right after human rights.
Right on.
Really enjoyed the game. I just wonder if Jacky will ever manage to fully recover.
I can only compliment the graphical presentation. The use of silhouettes really fit with this and the short cut-ins for when Jacky heard sounds in the room were also very effective.
Looking forward to your next work.
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
If I were to write more, like a post-epilogue epilogue, I would not have her recover beyond what we see in the endings.
Arelune wrote:Not sure what good I can still say after that huge in-depth review, lol.
Presentation is great. I love the intro. Really, it made me all excited somehow. :D
Those old French songs are great mood givers too. But I might be a bit biased, because I like those songs.
I was digging around in the public archives looking for foreign songs that had the right feel and I loved Edith Piaf, especially La Foule. It just felt right. I'd completely forgotten she was featured in the Inception soundtrack, so I heard her there first.
It was kinda short. I was suprised when I reached the ending. Loved the use of the dictionary though at the end.
Somethings I'd like to know:
Why an alone end when you decide to trust everyone?
And, why no mention of Charles?
Re: alone: when I imagined all three interested parties clashing, that was the ending I came up with. I knew that Kimber would be caught and that Delilah and Sasha would both fight over Jacqueline's care, and I wanted at least one ending where Jacqueline had to answer for some of her business decisions. "Alone" was the best one-word way I came up with to describe her situation in that ending.

Charles: everyone is interested in Charles. (Not sure why. Maybe because he's the only guy? Or maybe because he wears awesome suits?) Originally, Jac could try to signal to him as well, but I dropped the idea early on because I wanted to focus more on the other three characters. In one of the endings Sasha hires him back on, so he does get a little epilogue bit. I'd like to add more about him next game update.

Arelune
Regular

#24 Post by Arelune »

saguaro wrote:I was digging around in the public archives looking for foreign songs that had the right feel and I loved Edith Piaf, especially La Foule. It just felt right. I'd completely forgotten she was featured in the Inception soundtrack, so I heard her there first.
A lot of people seem to know her from Inception. I learned about her in French class. :roll:
-Everything in spoiler tags-
Hmm. I understand your choice. When I read that I think about the word 'responsible', but without explanation it might be somewhat vague.
As for Charles, he just seemed like a sympathetic man. I lie, it's actually the suit Made me a bit sad he wasn't mentioned in most epilogues. So please do add more about him. :D

kkffoo
Regular
Completed: Tea For Two [KN]

#25 Post by kkffoo »

Really enjoyed this, especially the visuals and use of sound.....
love when the dialogue is punctuated by the ice clinks into the glass
The central character's locked in syndrome seems like a perfect fit with the VN format, we only see so much, and we hear what we do not see. Day and night backgrounds very imaginative and fitting also.
The scene transition graphics were wonderful, and the subtle use of animation throughout was delightful.
Well worth downloading :) Thank you.

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by saguaro »

kkffoo wrote:Really enjoyed this, especially the visuals and use of sound.....
love when the dialogue is punctuated by the ice clinks into the glass
The central character's locked in syndrome seems like a perfect fit with the VN format, we only see so much, and we hear what we do not see. Day and night backgrounds very imaginative and fitting also.
The scene transition graphics were wonderful, and the subtle use of animation throughout was delightful.
Well worth downloading :) Thank you.
I'm glad that you enjoyed it, thank you for playing. The glass is my favorite visual.

Connie
Regular

#27 Post by Connie »

I can't play the game.
"Traceback (most recent call last):
File "renpy.py", line 24, in <module>
ImportError: No module named os
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "renpy.py", line 24, in <module>
ImportError: No module named os
Traceback (most recent call last):"
EDIT:
Nevermind, I downloaded it again and it works. Besides, I downloaded this game quite a while ago, I just didn't try it out yet.
I love food.

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran

#28 Post by saguaro »

Version 1.1 is available.

- Upgraded to Ren’Py version 6.13.12
- Reduced file size from 72 MB to 48 MB (Windows version)
- Minor graphic updates (improved bgs, one additional sprite, image streamlining)
- Added credits roll
- Typo correction

If you are curious about the new bgs, here are the two main ones:

Image Image

macuyo
Regular
Completed: Get Dumped
Projects: Soul Collector
Organization: Macuyo Production

Re: Locked-In [mystery, drama] - version 1.1 08/10

#29 Post by macuyo »

Okay, played this a while ago but I keep forgetting to comment.;;

The graphics and animation are really beautiful! I can't even begin to describe how much I love them *_*/// My favorite animation has got to be the little birds.
For the story, I liked how you gave tidbits of the past without doing massive info dumps. There was never a time that I was tired or bored of reading anything in the game. Although there were some unsolved mysteries, I personally felt overall satisfied at the end of the game so I think that it was done very nicely. ^^
BLOGS
Wordpress || Tumblr

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Locked-In [mystery, drama] - version 1.1 08/10

#30 Post by saguaro »

Thank you!