Pygmalion

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#31 Post by PyTom »

Could you send me the user.dmp file?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Keitsu Han'ei
Regular

#32 Post by Keitsu Han'ei »

erm.... i rewrite on the error files as a play a few more times... would it work? o_O
DA Page me anytime for job offers *_*

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#33 Post by PyTom »

Well, if you're always getting the same error, it should work. If not, send me it anyway, I can always check it out.

Keitsu Han'ei
Regular

#34 Post by Keitsu Han'ei »

but i only had once when i played it the first time, then it was smooth sailing...

*trie again to see if she could trigger it again*
DA Page me anytime for job offers *_*

mrsulu
Regular
Completed: Lady Sugarplum's Bad Day

#35 Post by mrsulu »

I just played it, a bit at at time, and enjoyed it. It's literate and intelligent, and starts in a good place and ends when it should. Good work!

As for the art, I thought the emotions of the pictures came through, even if the linework was a little shaky, and I like that you went with having event CGs.

I'm fuzzy on why I got to name the statue. I thought it might undercut your literary goals if someone named the statue "Mongo the Terrible". :-)

I get a crash (WinXP, SP2) every time I quit, but otherwise had no trouble wit it. I already have Python (and Cygwin and stuff) already installed.

That is all! Looking forward to the next game!

Mr. E
Regular

#36 Post by Mr. E »

Well, I don't have the faintest idea about what is causing these problems, but what if I move Pygmalion to Ren'Py 5.6.6? Would it help? I'm already considering another version just to tackle the massive grammar mistakes but it would be nice if I could also correct this problem... Anyways. Pygmailon 1.2 here I come (Ugh... I still have much to learn) I would like to thank everybody that is helping this game to get better and would also like to apologize to everybody that had a problem with this game.

mrsulu: I'm glad you didn't find my game too short. And about the naming of the statue (Mongo the Terrible :lol: ) I guess this is somewhat inevitable, like the people who name characters with rude words in RPGs. I can show somebody a story, but I cannot control how they will react (in fact, that was one of the main themes of the game...)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#37 Post by PyTom »

What version is Pygmalion using now? I would suggest going to 5.6.6, as I don't think it will hurt. I need to pull out the audio, and see if it's a format thing.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#38 Post by lordcloudx »

I'm kinda late on this one... but well y'know I like to play these games basically whenever I feel like it and I felt like it just now.

I got the hubris ending (b was it?), which made me feel kinda guilty afterwards like I'd made the wrong choice. (I was hoping for a hidden third choice where you just part ways with Liza, since I don't really like exerting influence over another's life.)

Suffice it to say, the game managed to draw me in. Great atmosphere and the music works really well with this story.

Although I really dont like the artwork because of the way the characters' faces were drawn and the rough edges, I can see from your work on the hands and the use of colors and the dynamic poses that you can do lot better, maybe in the final version of this project or a future one.

And... I'd have loved to have seen a more sentimental conclusion from the protagonist about how it started with this statue called (mongo the terrible? lol) and now we must part ways here, coz I'm strong enough to stand on my own or something like that. (but that's just the way I write my own stories so don't mind this comment too much.)
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Mr. E
Regular

#39 Post by Mr. E »

Thanks for the review and don't worry about it being late. Go in your own pace, right? The art for my next games won't be done by me, so don't worry about having to face my pictorical disasters again. About the ending... I realize that Pygmalion has very few choices, and although they are meaningful, they are also very restricting (it's a double-edged knife I guess). Many people have asked for a "bad" ending (or one in which Liza and Andrew don't stay together) so let that be a lesson for me and my next game. Anyway, glad you liked the atmosphere. By the way, I'm curious. How did you manage to play the game? (It wasn't playing because of some error if I recall correctly...)

Oh, and if there's anybodu intrested in knowing, I uploaded Pygmalion Version 1.2. Not worth another download if you played any earlier version, but it fixed a few typos and grammar mistakes.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#40 Post by lordcloudx »

Hehe I guess I forgot to mention that I'm on dual boot win98/xp. I use win98 for surfing the net and typing documents and thus taking all the spyware, adware etc. and winxp for doujin gaming.

It works fine for winxp... I think. Well, it hasn't crashed on me yet.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#41 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Very nice piece. Intelligent and funny.

I must say that the pause after the statue asks if Andrew has told Liza who he is yet... was brilliant. I clicked, expecting to see Andrew's response immediately, but it wasn't there. The hesitation was depicted perfectly.

The use of poses and expressions was very good.

I half wonder if the statue actually talked, or if it was all in Andrew's mind...

Looking forward to your next piece

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#42 Post by kara24601 »

For me , anything based on the whole
Pygmalion and Galatea myth is an instant fave.
The graphics and everything are fine.

Oh , just unlocked some more extras...behind the scenes....*reads , clicks , reads* :lol: Great stuff!

Thank you for all your hard work , cool game! :D

mokenju1
Regular

#43 Post by mokenju1 »

I know it's a little late for reviewing your game, but I wanted to say that I've enjoyed playing it a lot. About Andrew's moral dilemma:
Everytime we create a character we are showing a little (or big) part of ourselves. So the thought to meet in real life one of our characters and fall in love with her/him would be imo an incestuos behaviour. Falling in love with an "idealized" part of yourself... that's a very weird thought. Although it would be nice to just close the eyes and try to behave like we haven't noticed it :lol:
Finished Projects: "Host Love", "The Silent Maiden", "The Worthy Bride" and "The Wandering Child"
Currently working on: "The Smiling Lady", "The intruder","Cassandra's Knight" and "Cinderella's choice"
Unfinished Projects: "Dear Friend, Secret Lover"

Kura
Regular
Completed: Chasing the Sun
Projects: RESET

Re: Pygmalion

#44 Post by Kura »

I randomly stumbled across this game on RAA tonight, and, wow! I love it. The mood is wonderful, and I love the themes. Also, the explanations in the extras were a very nice addition, since I'd never heard the Pygmalion myth before.
I must say, though, the statue (I named her Hyacinth) was my favorite character. Shame it had to go away. By the way, the idea of a statue that the protagonist has conversations with is pretty interesting.
Devblog :: Kura's VN Projects and Resources
Complete Chasing the Sun [a meditation on light] :: In Progress RESET [guilt, love, existentialism, and video games]

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

Re: Pygmalion

#45 Post by azureXtwilight »

Umm...
So, I've played the game and my review is...
1. Storyline, 9/10
I liked the story and I like how we determine Liza's or (Victoria's) character!
2. Music 8/10
The music matches the atmosphere! Good work
3. Character 6/10
I'm sorry, but I'm not too fond of the drawings.
Pardon me, please
4. What else can I say? I say this game is REALLY WORTH PLAYING!