Terminal Love (v1.2) [Flash VN] [Aromantic]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
MoPark
Regular
Projects: Kangaroo, Terminal Love

Terminal Love (v1.2) [Flash VN] [Aromantic]

#1 Post by MoPark »

TERMINAL LOVE
An English-language visual novel developed for Flash in ActionScript 3.

THE GAME
http://www.kongregate.com/games/mabdulra/terminal-love

THE PREMISE
You turn on your computer, the XAVIER-256, to discover that it has suffered a staggering 2,602 online attacks, rendering your internet access completely non-existent. Equipped with little more than a low-level computer and your own volition, you must journey throughout the realm of kindred AI and rocking chiptune in a terminal-based “visual” novel adventure to discover who, or what, wants you offline.

DEVELOPER NOTES
Version 1.2 is out! There are many fixes and new things in it. You can read about them in detail on the game site on Kongregate!
Last edited by MoPark on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Terminal Love [Flash VN] [Aromantic]

#2 Post by Victoria Jennings »

omfg dskljf! <3

...Playing now, hehe...

EDIT: Woah, okay, I just got Ending 5...

The experience totally reminded me of Digital, hehe, and I love the variety of the posters' backgrounds.

One thing that kinda weirded me out was uh...
The partitioned AI didn't talk that much with me? And then both it and the main AI treated it like a HUUUGE deal when it had to be decompiled. It just felt odd, since I didn't know it that well and didn't really get a chance to get closer to it.
Playing through once more!

EDITEDIT: I got Ending 4! U:

Some more feedback: is there something preventing you from allowing a paste option for save states? You let the player use Ctrl+C to copy codes in the first place. Why can't you do the same with Ctrl+V? It's kind of annoying typing out super-long codes.

Anyway, I quite enjoyed this. I'll be working on getting the other endings later, hehe. How many are there in total?

EDITEDITEDIT: Scratch that, it says in the WIP thread. orz

Also, I didn't read the comments on Kongregate, so I apologize if the things I've said have already been mentioned.

Nimuell
Regular
Projects: Cold Hands, Beautiful Boring People

#3 Post by Nimuell »

That was definitely enjoyable experience, thank you for this game!
I craved for a game like this for a long time.

Got endings 4 and 5, still trying to discover other ones.
Can I have a little hint how to get them?
True happiness comes from the joy of deeds well done, the zest of creating things new. (c) Antoine de Saint-Exupery
http://www.nimuell.deviantart.com/

feathersnake
Regular
Completed: A Rose by Any Other Name
Projects: Color, You've Got Mail!
Organization: Olfix Productions
Tumblr: olfix
Deviantart: olfix

#4 Post by feathersnake »

Wow. This was not what I expected it to be, but it was a very good game! Thank you for sharing it!

After getting ending five, six, and another I don't remember the number of, I finally got ending 1. Haha.
The style of this game made it all the more interesting because of how fitting it was to the theme. I also loved how much was going on with the internet characters and the random things you could do/read. The only problem I have to report is what has already been said already with the save code. And you are obviously sorting that out already.
"The majority of the mazes this game produces are impossible to beat because the Randomisation Ai has publicly expressed its contempt for you." That particular line made me laugh out loud. (I just realized that Randomization was spelled wrong in the game. I don't know if you really care, but...yeah.) There were other things I found funny as well, like the cat Ai and the Ai that realized it was an Ai. Haha. The forum about the guy trying to find a boyfriend was pretty entertaining by the end as well. Anyways, great job with this game! :D
Olfix Productions:
Tumblr | itch.io
Complete Projects:
A Rose by Any Other Name
In-progress:
Color | You've Got Mail!

MoPark
Regular

#5 Post by MoPark »

Randomisation isn't spelled wrong, it's just the British spelling. : )

I'm working on fixing the saving issue now, but thank you for the positive feedback. I needed to hear that today.

For the hint on how to get endings that aren't 4 or 5:
Do not read the doomsday thread. Talk to the AI instead.

feathersnake
Regular
Completed: A Rose by Any Other Name
Projects: Color, You've Got Mail!
Organization: Olfix Productions
Tumblr: olfix
Deviantart: olfix

#6 Post by feathersnake »

Ah. My bad then. Haha. Those words like to sneak up on me.
Olfix Productions:
Tumblr | itch.io
Complete Projects:
A Rose by Any Other Name
In-progress:
Color | You've Got Mail!

MoPark
Regular

#7 Post by MoPark »

Okay so I just updated the game to have a slightly better saving/loading feature in that it will auto-save at the main menu of the game every time you visit except if you're visiting during the endgame portions. This way, if you achieve an undesirable ending you can just go to "load game" and boom the password is there waiting for you and you can try again without having to input it.

Of course, if you close the tab and thus the game, this goes away, but it is a good temporary solution. Please let me know if it worked out or not!

Nimuell
Regular

#8 Post by Nimuell »

I don't know why, but "loading game" doesn't work for me, maybe I'm doing something wrong. There was no password, even though I tired saving/loading at different stages of the game.
Anyway I finally got ending 1, and two other
where I failed to save the girl.
Computer swooning over it's master made me laugh and a little bit proud)))
Also I didn't know there was a whole subplot of saving poor girl (as I managed to skip that part at the first walkthrough), so it was really surprising and just plain awesome.
Still wonder what 2th and 3th endings are about.
Are there even more subplots to this game?
Oh I also wondered, why is that, if you talk to Distraction AI about fun and films and then ask it not to decompose, then AI never mentions suicide and you never get to save the girl.
Anyway this was immensely entertaining, especially for such a lurker like me, who just loves reading all these chats and logs and statuses.
And I had a good laugh too, especially
the whole "how do I get a boyfriend thread"
xDD
Thank you!!!
True happiness comes from the joy of deeds well done, the zest of creating things new. (c) Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Ziassan
Veteran

#9 Post by Ziassan »

Just playing right now, the writing really is entertaining, and it's fun to see math/code related stuff like Bubble sort algorithm (since I'm in that kind of studies myself).
To be honnest I really though we were allowed to code inside the game for real when I saw the option on the list ahah, but well, it's sure a bit hard to implement.
A downloadable version could be great, but I understand that your probably prefer having people playing it on the page.

Ps : I found a way to almost never loose on "Baller", though it seems also impossible to win.. arg (the way is in short to wait on the border until the ball coming to you hit it, and then move along with the ball while it comes)

MoPark
Regular

#10 Post by MoPark »

Nimu-chan, can you in specific detail how it is you are trying to load for me? It would be very appreciated.

Ziassan, well I'm sure coding came as a surprise then! Hah. And yeah, Baller is pretty much just trolling you, though you do manage to unlock super secret dialogue and some other things if you manage to win... ; )

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

#11 Post by distorsion »

This game is a lot of fun! The different parts of the game, especialy the interactions with the AI and the various posts on the online forums are cute, funny, sometimes sad and even profound. Also the music is very catchy. Nice work! ^_^b
Now if only I could beat the Baller...
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!

Nimuell
Regular

#12 Post by Nimuell »

MoPark, I apologize in advance if I'm doing something horribly wrong.
MoPark wrote: it will auto-save at the main menu of the game every time you visit except if you're visiting during the endgame portions. This way, if you achieve an undesirable ending you can just go to "load game" and boom the password is there waiting for you and you can try again without having to input it.
Basically I do nothing, you said it saves automatically, right? But when I reach an undesirable ending and then go to "load game" there's no password waiting for me, I just have to input it manually. Or just replay everything from the start, which is easier.

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Victoria Jennings »

Nimu-chan wrote:Basically I do nothing, you said it saves automatically, right? But when I reach an undesirable ending and then go to "load game" there's no password waiting for me, I just have to input it manually. Or just replay everything from the start, which is easier.
Same thing for me. I've given up on trying to find the other endings for now because it's so inconvenient. I':

Ziassan
Veteran

#14 Post by Ziassan »

This loading issue is indeed really problematic, I finally made a macro-script to type the thing, otherwise I'd have given up ahah.
Though comparing the different save codes I got, I start to understand why it's that long and how it's made - I even loaded a state I didn't reached myself tweaking the save code.

Before that, got the endings : 5 - 4 - 8 - 6
I tried all the possible choices to talk with this depressed girl, but it ended bad each time.. hmm.

Nimuell
Regular

#15 Post by Nimuell »

Ziassan wrote:I tried all the possible choices to talk with this depressed girl, but it ended bad each time.. hmm
You may want to try checking motherboard forums again before talking to her. It has something to do with coding.