Love and War: Act I Revamp RELEASED!

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Roseus Mirabili
Regular

Re: Love and War: Act I Revamp RELEASED!

#16 Post by Roseus Mirabili »

I was really looking forward to this game when I read about it quite a while ago so it's great to see the full version out. Anyways, I've enjoyed the game so far, but now I'm stuck on fighting that monster that's terrorizing the village of Alton. Beyond that, I love the music you used as well. It reminds of an old game I used to play a long time ago.

Admiral Styles

#17 Post by Admiral Styles »

Glad to hear you're enjoying it so far. :) Yes, the Gorn Jabola is definitely one tough boss battle! If you've found any special cartridges for Ryan, now might be the time to use them. Otherwise, have Ryan use Rally and Henrik use Vigor (or Lionheart if he has it) on turn one, and hack away at it, healing as necessary. Also, if you're below Level 7, you may want to load an earlier save and level up a little bit more and it may be too difficult a battle otherwise.
"When men are pure, laws are useless;
When men are corrupt, laws are broken."
-Benjamin Disraeli

Roseus Mirabili
Regular

#18 Post by Roseus Mirabili »

Well I do believe I have a flame cartridge and I have both Ryan and Henrik at around level 8 or 9. I just have to make sure I have enough healing items because I tend to run out quickly lol

Admiral Styles

#19 Post by Admiral Styles »

Hehe, always a risk! If you are short on healing items, it might be a good idea to go all out as soon as possible, inflict as much damage as you can and win the fight as soon as possible. Best of luck! :)
-Benjamin Disraeli

Roseus Mirabili
Regular

#20 Post by Roseus Mirabili »

Haha, I almost learned that the hard way. I've been doing my best to evenly spend my money on equipment and healing items. Btw, I wonder if Ryan's eventual decision of what to do with his life will be on his own or whether or not the player will have some sort of hand in it.

Moon20
Regular

#21 Post by Moon20 »

How can I capture the Frog in The forest?

Admiral Styles

#22 Post by Admiral Styles »

Moon20 wrote:How can I capture the Frog in The forest?
Hello Moon20, and sorry for the long silence! Regarding the frog, you just need to keep trying to catch him by running up to the ponds where he pops up and hitting Z or space bar. After a number of tries, you'll grab him. :)
-Benjamin Disraeli

Moon20
Regular

#23 Post by Moon20 »

Oh okay, thank you for the answer

Xuan
Regular
Projects: Dustbin Dreaming

#24 Post by Xuan »

For just the Act 1, this has incredible depth and detail in it. I've been playing it for the whole day and I even skipped the North something exploration quest so I could see the ending... because I thought it was the ending but it's not.

The best part about this game was probably playing from many different characters' point of view. Ryan (and his party), Juno, and even Lavie? This is pretty cool, I have to admit.

That being said, there are a few flaws (though I suspect that some are intentional?) in the game though:
1) No map view. This is absolutely torturous on a terrain that's far larger than one could map in his mind, even if the pathing is still simple enough to follow.
2) No quest view. Again, not sure if this is intentional, but I hate the moments where I forget where I'm suppose to head or do and had to stumble blindly until I actually remember.
3) Random creature encounters can be a little too frequent, and leveling up too slow. I'm not asking for an immediate sense of reward, but after slaying like what, 10 ~ 20 groups of monsters and leveling up only by 1 point feels too... Korean-grindish terrifying.
4) Needs some simple tutorial/message on special items. I COMPLETELY WASTED my Fire Cartridge when I realized that you have to use it during battle, used it, and the next round my party eliminated the creature without even me getting a chance to test the skill...
5) Ryan is despicably ignorant; I have to agree with Juno with that. Though this is subjective and who knows, he might have some sort of amnesia (I gave up convincing people NOT to use this plot device since ages ago...). Whatever.
6) Voice acting between the Compatrades is awesome, but some of the other ones are obviously off. There should be voices too during the group camp dialogues, since it's a CG scene, but it does not. Though of course just having them there is pretty damn amazing already, make no mistake.
7) Some bugs. At one point I somehow managed to get BEHIND a door when exiting a building.
8) Money management. I'm pretty sure that most of us could really use that warning at how... limited they are. And that Flask of Life is core. And that you don't actually need much SP items at all, or that you need to charge up Ryan's SP with Ammunition. And that there were some equipment that you're going to get eventually (like the starting ones), but didn't know and wasted money on it. And considering that it's so limited and that one would REALLY like to avoid grinding as much as possible (the normal rates are already more than enough).
9) Lighting on dark areas can be a little bit too dark. Hurts the eyes because of overfocus.

And that's about it. There are probably more but I can't remember at the moment. Please don't take this badly because I really like this game, and it's for that I'm pointing these out right now so they could be clarified or even fixed in the future.

But seriously, give me that map view. T_T

Admiral Styles

#25 Post by Admiral Styles »

Hey Xuan, many thanks for the feedback! I'm forever on a quest for improvement, so receiving constructive criticism is very helpful. :) In regards to many of your points, I generally am a fan of letting the player figure things out themselves as much as possible, and keeping "developer direction" to a minimum. But there's always a tricky balance between maintaining that and leaving the player not knowing what to do... perhaps a few adjustments could be made, one way or the other.

As for the campfire scenes, I really did want to have those voiced! It just became a case of having to prioritize other things, and eventually just plain not having the time. Getting all the lines from a bunch of voice actors can be a tricky and exhausting process, lemme tell you. :P

Anyhoo, thank you for playing through Act I, it sounds like the good ultimately outweighed the bad for you in the end? Would love to hear any positive thoughts you might have, too - things that were done right, things you might like to see more of. :) And of course, if you know any potentially interested players, mayhap consider sending the link their way.

Thanks once again!
-Benjamin Disraeli