Drawn To You ~ Art School Romance

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ignosco
Veteran

#16 Post by Ignosco »

Sorry, it’s taken me a while to get around to playing this.

I really like the layout of Ren’Py, having the headshots showing the emotions of the characters works well for me, because it seems to represent the internal emotions while keeping the onscreen graphics in the same pose (I guess since I’m not really from an anime background at all sometimes I find it hard to get used to the way the emotions are so openly displayed on the character – when in reality most of these things would be internal thoughts).

Most of the other game elements have been commented on in depth by other people on the thread so I’ll just add that generally it was done well in all aspects, and I particularly like the number of choices you put in, the backgrounds for the game, and the bonus endings. Overall, this was fun to play and it was short enough to get all the endings in maybe 30-40 minutes.

Congratulations on releasing your first game :D,
Ignosco

guest not registered

Re: Drawn To You ~ Art School Romance

#17 Post by guest not registered »

i can't find the file on my computer i clicked quit by mistake and now i can't find the game.

illuminate001

#18 Post by illuminate001 »

Hehe I dunno if this thread is basically closed but jes wanted ta say HEY Recca! Actually Drawn To You was the 1st VN I've played and I enjoyed it so much it motivated me to make my own VN (Dream Savior Gakuen). So thank you sooo much! :)
*bows*

Recca Phoenix
Veteran

#19 Post by Recca Phoenix »

illuminate001 wrote:Hehe I dunno if this thread is basically closed but jes wanted ta say HEY Recca! Actually Drawn To You was the 1st VN I've played and I enjoyed it so much it motivated me to make my own VN (Dream Savior Gakuen). So thank you sooo much! :)
*bows*
Wow, I am extremely flattered ^_^
I can't believe you enjoyed DtY! But I am so happy! Now, even more than back then, I am so ashamed of it ^^;;;
Sorry to say I may not be doing any more ren'ai games. I was working on one but I think I'm reworking it to a Phoenix Wright-system-inspired mystery game, maybe. It all depends. I haven't worked on any of my games in AGES. Bad Recca.
But thanks much for the compliment.

IN OTHER NEWS.....
Stumbled across Czech (I think) website the other day that hosted a link to DtY and a review. The site was bilingual English/Czech, but I noticed the review on the Czech edition was much longer. So I used Google translator.....and what came out at the end was pretty insulting, heh heh. It said the art was great in some places in abysmal in others. Which is true. And it also said something about the dialogue being retarded. The English quickie review was much nicer. But I can't say that I disagree with the other review ^^;;;
http://www.freegamearchive.com/game.php?id=6936
I like the choice of screenshots in the review....but why the smoothie store? That's like the very last BG I drew, easily one of the suckiest in the whole game. And I seriously can't look at a picture of Liany's face without wanting to punch it....because I hate the face sprite of her....even after like 6 revisions it still looked like shit! But hey, I guess I WAS using a mouse.

Oh, and for everyone here who wants to write a review of the game, as long as you can host it somewhere, I will link to it on the game's official website. I don't care if it's positive or negative, as long as it's well-written (i.e. good grammar, evidence/argument instead of just vague opinions, that kind of stuff).
Last edited by Recca Phoenix on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#20 Post by mikey »

ReccaPhoenix wrote:Stumbled across Czech (I think) website the other day that hosted a link to DtY and a review. The site was bilingual English/Czech, but I noticed the review on the Czech edition was much longer. So I used Google translator.....and what came out at the end was pretty insulting, heh heh.
I translated the Czech text - given this is a general gaming site, the review is quite good (if you've read some of the really negative reviews), and 75% is well above average:

Drawn To You is another one of the usually infamous games in manga style. However, one needs to note that DTY is one of the better ones in quality, especially regarding audiovisual impression. So, let's have a closer look:

The main heroine of DTY is a university artist with a strange name, Liany. She is a melancholic and sensitive girl, whose being single is gnawing on her - meaning in practice, that for a few minutes you get to be her, and let's start the hunt for boys. Liany is aware that a boy's support is not only going to fill the void in her heart, but also inspire her to better artistic results.

I'm sure that all of this would be fine for a certain group of girls, if it weren't for really silly and unrealistic dialogues (not voiced - but maybe that's for the better) and the plot itself, which is from time to time stupid as hell. From time to time terribly trashy, from time to time the game tries to be almost artistical. The lady with the double edged sword strikes again.

Recca Phoenix
Veteran

#21 Post by Recca Phoenix »

Thanks so much for that! Wow, that is a pretty good review, now that I can see it in its entirety. Especially considering who did it and how cruddy the game is. Thanks!

"with the double-edged sword," eh? I like having a sword >: )

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#22 Post by monele »

In spite of the negativity, it *does* sound good to at least have a sword X3

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#23 Post by azureXtwilight »

Hi, sorry I'm late to reply this one!
I really like this game!
This game and host love encouraged me to make my own VN!
This game is short, but fun! One of those games that still "stays alive" in my laptop :lol:
By the way, I really like jason!

Recca Phoenix
Veteran

#24 Post by Recca Phoenix »

It really makes me happy that I have inspired two people to make their own VNs.
Again, I'm astounded.

So the other day I gave DtY a total playthrough....(hadn't looked at it since it came out, pretty much, so it's been over a year). And I saw the usual LARGE amount of things that kind of made me cringe, but also several things where I was like "Wow, not bad for my first VN!" Especially the interconnectedness and multiplicity of paths (unfortunately that's what makes it a short game with a weak story). And there were a couple of backgrounds where I was also like "wow, I drew that with a mouse!" But I seriously want to take a heavy-duty eraser to Liany and Ren, grr, their graphics annoy me so much!
And now that I look back, Rashad could have definitely used some better writing. Wow, what a dick.

Midnighticequeen
Veteran
Completed: Bunni and Kitty, Sweethearts, Tiesa's Tales
Projects: Wish
Organization: Ice Queen Games
itch: icequeenstudios

#25 Post by Midnighticequeen »

I loved your game and was able to get all the endings. You did a terrific job on your first VN, and I love how much time and energy you put in it, it's inspired me to finish my VN, that I've been postponing for a while! I wish you luck on your next one too!

Debra2112
Completed: Another Day
Projects: It's Your Choice... Really(WIP)

#26 Post by Debra2112 »

loved ur game! :D i gotz all the endings, i think my fav guy is Kyle. 8)
(L) Live life to the fullest (L)

#27 Post by Guest »

I really want to play your game but I can't get it to open for me. I use windows vista if that would make a difference... I've downloaded it and everything but when I click the application it doesn't do a thing. :(

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#28 Post by PyTom »

Please try the instructions found here:

http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/Windows_Vista
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

#29 Post by Guest »

aha! thank you very much :D *scrambles off to play*

usul
Veteran
Projects: Teachings of the Buddha, System-Addict, Generation XxX

Re:

#30 Post by usul »

Recca Phoenix wrote: Who uses Linux? -_-;;;;;
Anyway, here's your linux version.
http://rapidshare.com/files/15881505/Dr ... r.bz2.html
I do too, and the link doesn't work. Seeing you got all these good reviews, I'd like to give it a try.

Thanks.
"The universe is non-simultaneously apprehended"
— Buckminster Fuller