The Spirit Of Disaster (Competition 2012)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
junna
Veteran
Projects: DreamWalker; History; Adversity Competition

Re: The Spirit Of Disaster (Competition 2012)

#331 Post by junna »

oooh...we are saying who we voted for eh?

kay

in first place for me was
Living through Disaster
2nd: Fairytales for Innocent Children (I'm butchering the title aren't I)
and 3rd: Fragile.

and yes...despite the mad cackling I actually wrote 'Dusted Star' which was written without an actual need for you to know Stardust inside out at all. LOL. I should've known better that people will be going crazy/distracted by not knowing Stardust.

The 'pirating' by the character is a tribute to Neil Gaiman for his words
here:

It makes liberal use of different speeds and pauses of various lengths. I've never seen it done like this before, and it's an interesting experiment! The idea is, I think, to emulate spoken language better, since we've got more options than plain text in a VN, after all.
And yes, that was the idea. Except there was no 'text speed' bar so I could vary the text speed for different readers so I took the 'average reader' speed. didn't work well it seems. :mrgreen:
chibi avvie by Meg (buprettyinpink).
WIP=>Image
Image<=helping out

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#332 Post by papillon »

Ordinarily I would have been very hesitant to accept a fanfic-style work in a contest with cash prizes, but in this case I actually looked up some of his views on fanfic and competitions and decided Gaiman would probably be fine with it. :) (There's a relevant blog post somewhere on the subject.)

Funnyguts
Veteran

#333 Post by Funnyguts »

Oh good, I'm glad Living for Disaster got a bit of love. That would definitely have been my fourth pick, I thought it was one of the strongest entries that did a pretty standard take on the prompt.

I also wished there was more support for Dhumaketu, if I was forced to pick a favorite (and I kinda was) I would go with Dhuamaketu (and I did!)

junna
Veteran

#334 Post by junna »

papillon wrote:Ordinarily I would have been very hesitant to accept a fanfic-style work in a contest with cash prizes, but in this case I actually looked up some of his views on fanfic and competitions and decided Gaiman would probably be fine with it. :) (There's a relevant blog post somewhere on the subject.)

I just googled Gaiman and fanfiction. I still can't get over the fact he wrote a short Smeagol-Gollum slash...that was just wrong.
http://neil-gaiman.tumblr.com/post/2174 ... fanfiction Neil Gaiman has a tumblr? the heck?

Funnyguts wrote:Oh good, I'm glad Living for Disaster got a bit of love. That would definitely have been my fourth pick, I thought it was one of the strongest entries that did a pretty standard take on the prompt.

I also wished there was more support for Dhumaketu, if I was forced to pick a favorite (and I kinda was) I would go with Dhuamaketu (and I did!)
It was a first love for me. The others were just my 2nd to 29th loves.
WIP=>Image
Image<=helping out

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#335 Post by OokamiKasumi »

papillon wrote: In fourth place...
Outlook Of Spirit Commission

In third place...
Anniversaries, Adversity, and Pepper

In second place...
For Stellie

And in first place...
Fairy Tales of Innocent Children
Congratulations to the winners! Good work, people!

(I intend to 'cackle madly'.)
Last edited by OokamiKasumi on Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#336 Post by Mink »

Carassaurat wrote:
Mink wrote:
Carassaurat wrote:since Cheerful Polymorph was practically Mink author-insert self fanfiction starring Mink
...Wait, how? :?
Derek regularly complaining about being judged cute for being short doesn't strike you as, err... you? Not as a criticism, because I rather liked that VN, but it felt like you took more than a few notes from your own life.
Ha ha, fair enough; I was more wondering how you got that, than anything else. Derek's actually meant to be more of a deconstruction in general about that whole 'let's keep the adorable human-like creature as a pet because I'm sure that's ethical' thing you'll see pop in anime/manga/etc., and vaguely inspired by my hate of moe, not because I was really channeling myself. I see how you get that, though.
On Lady Misfortune, I did interpret Alex as a he (as I also did with nameless protagonists in other entries), though I think I noted the unisex name. Whether that's because protagonists are male so often, or if it's because I'm a guy, or if it's because I subconsciously think it's only fair if the spirit is a girl, who knows?
Yeah, it was afterwards that I was like, "I wonder if anyone'll assume a gender for Alex?" Though since Alex's gender is irrelevant, they can be whatever you want them to be.

On that note, I originally intended it to take place over about a month: I hit 6k words, and realized that wasn't going to happen. There was also supposed to be an actual spirit of destruction, since Mallory's more of an ill-omen, but doesn't actually cause anything, but having only one sprite, I didn't think it'd work too well.
papillon wrote:
KimiYoriBaka wrote:If there is another contest like this, I hope it'll have an equally amusing prompt and handicap.
I am tempted to use one of those website generators for a "They fight crime!" prompt but hopefully will have gotten over this impulse before any such thing happens again.
No no, that'd be a great idea! In fact, use this one!

*Also if no one get's the pun, or is too lazy to look it up: Mallory introduces herself (formally) as Dame Mallory. Both are French, and 'dame' can be translated as lady, and the name Mallory can mean 'unlucky' or 'misfortune'. And now you know, and knowing is half the battle. G.I. JOOOE!
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

junna
Veteran

#337 Post by junna »

OokamiKasumi wrote:
papillon wrote: In fourth place...
Outlook Of Spirit Commission

In third place...
Anniversaries, Adversity, and Pepper

In second place...
For Stellie

And in first place...
Fairy Tales of Innocent Children
Congratulations to the winners! Good work, people!

(I intend to 'cackle madly'.)
I know right off the bat at the start which one was yours... so, *helps to cackle madly*
WIP=>Image
Image<=helping out

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#338 Post by Sapphi »

Carassaurat wrote:
Sapphi wrote:I'm really honored to have won second place and glad Stellie seemed to go over well.
Oh, I would've guessed this one correctly! I noticed I was reading Stellie in the voice you did for Windy in Volky McLupinstein, probably because of the repeated use of "sir," and consequently couldn't shake the idea that the author might be the same. I've tried to see if I could find hints of British or American spelling in For Stellie, but couldn't find any conflict words so quickly. Is that a conscious decision or a happy accident, or did I overlook something?
LOL! You recognized my "adorable British orphan" syntax!!

About the spelling... I don't quite understand your question... (haha)
Are you asking if I purposely made the spelling ambiguous by leaving out conflict words?

Well, on to the comments.
Funnyguts wrote:The professor seems to go crazy really fast. He was annoyed before, but wow, did he suddenly go murderous out of nowhere. Stellie was kinda cute, but I'm not quite sure what her motivation was. She seemed to suddenly want to help the professor by screwing with him. The professor learned to deal with the situation a bit too quickly, as well. The professor seems to just change moods depending on when it's needed, not when it makes sense.
I'll have to read through it again to be sure, but you're probably right... I knew the pacing was wonky while I was writing it, but since I was racing to meet the deadline, I didn't really have a lot of time to sit back and analyze it. Somebody else pointed out a typo, as well... I was rushed, but I'm still embarrassed by the typo :oops:
Funnyguts wrote:Competently written, but kind of weird. Whatever college that professor teaches at sounds absolutely insane. I've had papers with coffee on them before and it didn't ruin the lives of the professors and teachers that handed them back to me. Motivations all seemed underdevloped to me. Not bad, but definitely not my favorite.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I couldn't decide while writing if it was really an over-the-top college, or if the professor himself was just a ridiculous man who obsessed about ridiculous things. I wanted to give him a sort of over-dramatic, pompous, Dostoevskian voice. I'm not sure how well it worked for the theme and prompt of the story, but it was so fun to write... :mrgreen:
rasburn wrote:The cynicism of the professor when thinking about teaching and grading was fun, though the character wasn't likable at first. He seemed petty, but
as the story went on I felt more comfortable with him.
He was supposed to be petty, so that's good. Hopefully his dislikeable traits are neutralized in the beginning by the fun of watching him suffer... :mrgreen:
Daggio wrote: The visual was awesome, the author go an extra mile to present it differently than any other normal VNs (even though he/she probably knew the entry wasn't gonna be graded by visuals), it makes me feel like I really am reading a book instead of a software on my laptop, this presentation also makes the lack of transition between the spirit's facial expression makes sense, because well... it feels like I'm reading a book.
*blush* Yep, I knew it wouldn't be graded, but I thought it would be a fun time to try playing with Ren'Py's features to see how far I could go without breaking the rules. Designing the layout was just as fun as writing the thing, even though it took tons of trial-and-error... and in the end, I used the global defaults for NVL and it messed up the entries, so I had to compromise a bit with the design. This was how it was originally supposed to look:
stellie.PNG
Daggio wrote:Another negative point was that I don't feel like this story conforms with the prompt. Sure, she fell from the sky and probably the destruction she caused to the classroom and office fit the definition of "disaster", but she is NOT a spirit. She is a shooting star, she addressed herself as a star, and talks as if she's a shooting star, NOT a spirit. (I differentiate between spirits and stars)
Fair point. While writing I thought of her as a "shooting star spirit", but the way she refers to herself doesn't make that so clear. Although:

"We sleep for ages until the proper time, collecting knowledge without direct experience. At the proper time, dust surrounds us and we are born into your physical world, in which we have but one short moment to live."

was my way of saying, more subtly, that in the world of Shooting Star Spirits, spirits are "stored up" in a spirit queue somewhere, and throughout time it dispenses them, and then they take their respective turns being cloaked in bodies of "physical" matter for the sole purpose of throwing them into our atmosphere and burning them up. I didn't really feel like it was necessary for Stellie to give us a detailed explanation of the spirit world, though...
Daggio wrote: No music. Bummer. Even though using the reasoning of "feels like reading a book" justifies the silent atmosphere, I still expect it coming from a game.
Yeah... I planned to use a couple tracks, but I ran out of time and just managed to finish coding the thing before the deadline. :lol: Although, I wasn't entirely sure that was a bad thing. I wasn't sure how much "dissonance" the mostly eerie music would create when I set the professor's over-the-top voice to it.
Funnyguts wrote:Edit: Unrelated to Fragile, but something I forgot to mention in my review of For Stellie: There was a lot of weird word choice in that one. For example, I can't imagine a pompous English professor, one that would describe himself as a 'Professor of the English Language" no less, as someone who would ever in a million years let the word 'stupider' escape from his lips, instead of saying the more conventional 'more stupid'.
Yikes :lol:
That's one thing I need to work on. I tried, but I know the voices were all over the place. I have a hard time in that regard... I have a decent vocabulary because I read a lot, but I also speak very colloquially and use improper grammar in conversation just because it's comfortable, so when I write, I tend to have trouble separating the two.
OokamiKasumi wrote: What I wasn't so keen on was that despite the fact that the sprite character; Stellie, was almost immediately established as being not-so-bright, she had difficulty with the word 'streaked,' and seemed to be a little simplistic in her views,) this was Not carried over.
Blane Doyle wrote:I did notice others mentioning that Stellie's character development was broken from someone with a poor grasp on the English language, as she has difficulty with the word streak, but that was not the impression I had gotten. I got the impression that she was just confused about the past tense of the word and not simple minded or not-bright. This is something many people have problems with. Even writers who study English and have large vocabularies have the problem sometimes, especially with commonly misunderstood words. I felt this scene was used to show off how the two character bounce off each other and how unusual Stellie is. She is a shooting start after all, she's certainly got quirks. (She did mention that they gather knowledge but do not get to properly use it, I felt that was a decent explanation as well.)

But, I could be utterly incorrect. We wouldn't know unless the author told us.
True story: I threw that in because I couldn't remember what the proper past tense for that word was! :lol: I figured that if I was dumb enough to get confused, and I'm not actually dumb about grammar, that it was a realistic, conversational touch. I do agree that having it right in the beginning like that set Stellie up in a way I didn't really intend, so thanks for the feedback on that. :)
Blane Doyle wrote:Also, "scrambling like flaming foxes" is the best simile ever. The only thing that would have made me laugh harder at reading it would be if they were flaming squirrels.
You might not laugh if you knew the story behind the reference, lol. (It was kind of an ancient case of cruelty to animals...)
Carassaurat wrote: If I have to criticise it, I think the coffee scene drags on too long, and while I understand that it serves a purpose to show the character and why his environment is so hellish, it demands a lot of attention to the irrelevant theme of coffee.
Gotcha... I think this is tied to my pacing issue. I spent more time on the beginning than I did on the end, so it's a little lopsided...
Well, I think that's just about everything I wanted to mention...
I did notice some people raising questions if it broke the prompt... Admittedly I got a little creative with it, but I hope it didn't diverge too far. It's true that Stellie did the professor more good than harm, but I did try to make her pretty disastrous as far as destroying his classroom, and stealing his papers...

I also noticed a lot of people hated the pauses every sentence. I apologize for that. I'll try to make text presentation less annoying next time!

Overall, I'm decently happy with what I wrote, although it's not my best work by far... I'm conflicted about the theme and tone. Originally I had it in my mind to make it a sob story (what else!), but I didn't have any really heart-wrenching emotional music, so I abstained in favor of giving the narrator an over-the-top style and toning down the sentiment a bit. I'm not sure if it was a success, but I think it's decent enough for me to revisit sometime and maybe expand a bit. I could see myself releasing it as a short KN with my own illustrations and music. In the event of that, does anyone have any suggestions for how I might tweak the story to make it better?
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

junna
Veteran

#339 Post by junna »

Sapphi wrote:
Blane Doyle wrote:Also, "scrambling like flaming foxes" is the best simile ever. The only thing that would have made me laugh harder at reading it would be if they were flaming squirrels.
You might not laugh if you knew the story behind the reference, lol. (It was kind of an ancient case of cruelty to animals...)
I got that reference easy enough... curse you my crazy Georgian/Regency/Victorian/Edwardian fanatic bone.
It's during the time when fox hunting was considered a sport. *shiver*
WIP=>Image
Image<=helping out

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#340 Post by Sapphi »

junna wrote: I got that reference easy enough... curse you my crazy Georgian/Regency/Victorian/Edwardian fanatic bone.
Haha, actually, I had in mind something very much earlier - the story in Jewish history of Samson who exacted a very creative plan of revenge on his enemies... he caught 300 foxes, tied flaming torches to their tails, and set them loose in his enemies' fields to burn up all their crops.

Did they actually set their game foxes on fire in the Victorian days?
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

junna
Veteran

#341 Post by junna »

Sapphi wrote:
junna wrote: I got that reference easy enough... curse you my crazy Georgian/Regency/Victorian/Edwardian fanatic bone.
Haha, actually, I had in mind something very much earlier - the story in Jewish history of Samson who exacted a very creative plan of revenge on his enemies... he caught 300 foxes, tied flaming torches to their tails, and set them loose in his enemies' fields to burn up all their crops.

Did they actually set their game foxes on fire in the Victorian days?
some. to make the already caught foxes run faster, I believe. Usually they make sure they are able to hunt for the fox (eg: get it out of its den and chase). but it's like this obscure history that you don't forget but can't really find the source. which makes me sound incredible too.

EDIT: it was a tall tale. >_> I shall blame my gullible brain.
WIP=>Image
Image<=helping out

Carassaurat
Veteran

#342 Post by Carassaurat »

Sapphi wrote:About the spelling... I don't quite understand your question... (haha)
Are you asking if I purposely made the spelling ambiguous by leaving out conflict words?
Yes, that's it — I couldn't find any words ending on -our/-or or -ising/-izing that would give the specific branch of English away. But I wasn't sure if it wasn't too far-fetched to think that the author of For Stellie would actually go through the trouble of avoiding such words, which nobody would notice anyway.

Daggio
Regular

#343 Post by Daggio »

for me, my top 3 picks was:
1. Anniversaries, adversity, and pepper
2. Fairy tales of innocent children
3. Nostalgia the dead child

why? I don't really remember myself, but I do have a note that stores scores of each entry from 1 to 10, and these 3 are the only 3 entries that receives a 10, lol

well... but, I remember (slightly) that I chose fairy tales because of the protagonist, usually the protagonists are depicted as a jerk, but here the story's protagonist is an innocent young girl, who sees the world in her own innocent way (her mom became a star and such), and that makes the story, em... stand out, maybe? I'm not really sure what word to use to convey my message well, lol

next for me after this is to look for an artist, because I did say I want to get my hands on making a VN again. Not really sure whether to continue my story or not, though it's probably better so that I don't need to think about the story anymore (and finish faster)

LieselSolo
Regular

#344 Post by LieselSolo »

Congrats to the winners!

Anyway, I wrote Ariana, which was my first time making a complete game in Ren'Py (I've fiddled with it a lot before, though). Yeah, I agree with what everyone said that the romance in it was rushed, but I had such a blast making it. It felt really good to actually COMPLETE a VN, which was something I'd been wanting to do for ages. Sure, I would've liked to win, but got my own reward out of that feeling.

After NaNoWriMo, I plan to really get down and work on a real VN now that I have some eperience under my belt.

Oh, and I would LOVE another contest like this. This was SO much fun.

Daggio
Regular

#345 Post by Daggio »

yeah, winning would be awesome, but completing VN for this competition is already an achievement, and it felt great.

one thing that disheartened me was, when I read reviews about my entry (not my entry, but my entry) was that the grammar was terrible, and I was like... what??
yeah, I'm not a native english speaking guy, but I A'ed each and every english exam back at college, so when I read the reviews about my grammar, I was like WHAT DID I DO WRONG?? I didn't make bad grammar on purpose .___.)