The Sight of Autumn

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
M12
Veteran

#16 Post by M12 »

Hey Mikey, I've sent you an email with the submission info and screenshot. Thanks in advance 8).
Monele raised a good point about being able to run at full screen with EXEs, hmm... now I'm confused as to how I should go about this. Any ideas?

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#17 Post by DaFool »

The more release formats, the merrier (exactly one for each platform, and maybe one cross-platform)

I would package the following:
1.) One EXE
2.) One SIT
3.) One SWF
4.) HTML to play the SWF
5.) README or HTML with link pointing to standalone Flash Players. Note that a quick google will only point at Plugins, not the Standalone.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#18 Post by mikey »

So a Mac can't view SWF files in the web browser? Or is SIT a sort of EXE for the mac?

Actually, here's an idea, though I don't know whether that's possible - have the SWF and FLC as base and then add:
- a small HTML file for the standard way of viewing (the way it is now)
- a small EXE for Windows
- a small SIT for Mac

They would only be "framework" files that would load the SWF. This way there would be no need for extra distributions, so the one would be cross-platform.

But again, I don't know whether this would be possible.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#19 Post by monele »

Though I don't know Macs well, I do think SIT is their kind of EXE. If a Mac person can enlighten us... :)
It would be possible to make an EXE/SIT that would just be a launcher loading the SWF (which would load the FLV as it's already the case). This would indeed permit a whole package containing everything needed to play on any platform. And yes, include some HTML file for any platform that can run Flash through some browser plugin.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#20 Post by PyTom »

IIRC, .app is the equivalent to an exe on the mac. (From an end-user perspective, the reality is a little odder.)

.sit is a stuffit file, which is roughly like a zip.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Mihel
Regular
Projects: Foxtaile, Dream Chasers, Wedding Vows

#21 Post by Mihel »

PyTom wrote:IIRC, .app is the equivalent to an exe on the mac. (From an end-user perspective, the reality is a little odder.)

.sit is a stuffit file, which is roughly like a zip.
Yeah: Windows has .EXE programs, which are one file. Macs have .APPs, which are actually folders, containing programs and supplementary material. The two are, of course, completely incompatible with the other's platform. And neither will run on Linux.

When Flash creates a .SIT file for the Mac, I can't imagine it being more than an .SWF, compressed for web distribution. Can anyone back this up?
  • The SWF file - cross-platform already
  • (Maybe) A Windows EXE - if you're biased like that :P
  • An HTML file with the SWF embedded already - because Mac and Linux can play SWFs in-browser
  • A README file, perhaps with pointers to standalone Flash players, as suggested
Will you stay here for a while, dear, 'til the radio plays something familiar?

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#22 Post by monele »

I just checked and it seems I messed up : the mac format given is HQX.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6MB97UJ4

Here's an example flash file HQXed. From what I've read, HQX is some sort of compression format converting the usual 8 bits binaries into 7 bits making them easy to transfer through e-mails and stuff.
To uncompress it, you'll either need BinHex or Stuffit... or maybe some other integrated programs on your Macintosh.
Let me know ô_o. I'm curious to know what's inside the file.

Mihel
Regular
Projects: Foxtaile, Dream Chasers, Wedding Vows

#23 Post by Mihel »

monele wrote:I just checked and it seems I messed up : the mac format given is HQX.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6MB97UJ4

Here's an example flash file HQXed. From what I've read, HQX is some sort of compression format converting the usual 8 bits binaries into 7 bits making them easy to transfer through e-mails and stuff.
To uncompress it, you'll either need BinHex or Stuffit... or maybe some other integrated programs on your Macintosh.
Let me know ô_o. I'm curious to know what's inside the file.
StuffIt has been with the Mac until very recently, even being bundled with OSX for quite some time. Unfortunately, it's stopped being packaged with 10.4. And while the Expander itself is a free download, it's sorta inconvenient.

I'm not sure why Flash would use such an outdated format, though. BOMArchiveHelper, the built-in archive utility in Mac OS X, does not appear to support this format, and I know they're moving away from those old ones these days.

In any event, what's inside the package is probably an .SWF file, since it doesn't open on its own, but rather in the Flash Player application, and is not a folder as modern Mac applications are; however, the file itself bears no extension.

So really, you could probably just distribute the .SWF file itself for maximum convenience, or include the .HQX and the .EXE files to be more specific and ostracize Linux users :P

(Just for the curious, here's the file that was in the HQX, all zipped up for modern users. See if it runs on Windows as well.)
Attachments
flashtest.zip
(1 MiB) Downloaded 118 times
Will you stay here for a while, dear, 'til the radio plays something familiar?

Ignosco
Veteran

#24 Post by Ignosco »

The visual effects like the moving clouds and the scenery passing on the train, and the light flashing on Cindy worked really well... and the backgrounds are beautiful, particularly the one at the top of the ferris wheel :).

The music was fairly good - but I guess I found it didn't quite integrate with everything else (although that might partly be because the textbox was too small for me) - I kept having to glance between reading the text and viewing the background etc, which was a bit awkward.

I enjoyed reading this, was a very touching story, I just wish it was a little bit longer :).

Ignosco

Ascaloth

#25 Post by Ascaloth »

Hey there, M12, (or ML, as you are apparently known here. :p)

Anyway, I've gone through it. Three words: Short, but bittersweet.

Very nicely done, ML. Is this a first-time effort? If so, then props; the story was a bit too short and barebone-d, but it was far better executed than many far longer, but shallow and meaningless plots I've seen in many other kinds of media. Nice use of Flash graphics too, and props also to Julieanne Patmore for the soft, soothing music that complemented this melancholy piece so well. It took up a huge chunk of my virtual memory though; I was worried at some points that it'll seize up, preventing me from finishing the story. :S

Could do with a lot more plot and character development, but I'm not gonna take points away from that. Very nice. Tell me when you're planning your next work; I don't hang around these parts too often, but you know you can find me in the VisualNews Gemot.....or alternatively, I hang out more frequently in the Kanon boards of the Animesuki Forums. :)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#26 Post by mikey »

TSOA has been featured on one of the Czech free gaming sites:
http://pc.hrej.cz/plne-hry/adventura/2d ... of-autumn/

Quick and messy translation:
TSOA is more an illustrated and partly interactive shortstory than a game. Those looking for a more significant challenge, will walk out disappointed - but those looking for emotions and going step by step through a stylishly told story, shouldn't hesitate to download it for even a second. The plot is sad, almost as heart-tearing as a Harlequin novel. The protagonist finds out at the beginning, that due to a congenital disposition, he will soon turn blind. And who would not be hit hard and collapse by such a cruel fate? The hero of the story locks himself into his room and refuses to leave it. After all, why would anything be interesting, why should one look forward to anything? Up to the point, when he is visited by a beautiful girl named Cindy, who invites him to one last time dream with his eyes open and walk in the world "out there". The beautiful artistic composition of the scenes contrasts with the linear gameplay, that offers no challenge. But this game isn't about overcoming obstacles - and those realizing it will also be able to fully enjoy it. And maybe even shed a tear...

Congrats :wink:

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#27 Post by Watercolorheart »

I don't care for the SWF interface much though, seeing as how I was once a flash artist and animator, I'm well equipped to not only play the SWF but rip it apart and see how every little thing works.

For one thing, I don't like the fact that if I double-click, I have to force my Flash player to go back several frames (something that's impossible in a browser without a lot of pain). The sound effects can also be very, very loud over the music and there's no way to adjust the volume levels.

As for the game itself, I find the writing nice, if drippingly sentimental to the point of melancholy. I guess my tastes run differently ... when it comes to games such as this, Narcissu has forever raised my standards too high: http://narcissu.insani.org/

The art is ... cute. I love the embedding of some animation and some little touches that make it nice. The backgrounds are wonderful, very easy to understand where you are. I'm picky about the character art, but how can I not be ... ? As an artist and a writer, I like both to be somewhat polished and not rushed. The door opening in 3d impressed me speechless, I admit. XD;;
I'm not even the same person anymore

miriam
Regular

#28 Post by miriam »

Well done!

I love this kind of story, and even the fact that I detest Flash didn't detract from my enjoyment. I'm one of those who almost cried too. :)

As everybody else has said, the sound crew (Julieanne Patmore, Matthew Buckey, Alvin Mak, and Carmen Poljak) really hit the mark. Let's hope we hear lots more of their work.

The upward panning sky background on the ferris wheel was inspired. Wonderful idea.

A tiny niggle is that I noticed you had problems with perspective in some of your other backgrounds. Unfortunately the only way to iron that out is practice -- drawing from photographs is the best and easiest cure for this.

I experienced something nicely odd with this story, although I could see exactly how it was going to go, right from the beginning, I felt like I was here to savor the journey -- which, in a way, was the message of the whole piece. You pulled it off really well.

I'll be looking forward to what you do next.
My current, and first, RenPy story: A Loving Soul
script: 100% -- scenes: 100% -- character art: 20% -- programming: 20%
(spoilers in the story of the same name on my website)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

A life! Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

M12
Veteran

#29 Post by M12 »

Everyone, thank you for taking the time to download and read my story. I am currently working on my next visual novel, A Missing Memoir. At any rate, I found something that I wrote back when I was working on The Sight of Autumn. Felt like a long time ago. But anyway, I would like to share it with you. Perhaps nobody is interested in reading it, but still, here it is. If you do read it, please share your thoughts. God bless you all.

History:

During my studies at university, I have developed an interest in drawing. I wished to have artworks that I could add to my portfolio. Truth be told, this is one of the reasons why I decided to write The Sight of Autumn.
I love story writing, and I hope to compose many visual novels in the future. For my first attempt, I wanted something linear, but nonetheless emotional. Something beautiful, like my beloved Narcissu. I wouldn’t dare to compare my work to Narcissu, of course. I am not that shameless. All I am saying is that it inspired me so much. Narcissu taught me the power of visual novels.
Finally, The Sight of Autumn was written during the summer break of my second year in university. 2007 is my final year. By that time, I will be occupied with my major project. Before that happens, I wanted to write a visual novel. I have learnt a lot during my time in university, and I wanted to demonstrate that. This is not a tribute to me. This is a tribute to what I have learnt. Perhaps I make no sense, but that is what I think.
I look forward to sharing my stories to the community. I pray that you will be supportive.

Concept:

Some people wake up in the morning, and complain that they have grown a pimple on their forehead. Protesting about such things seem unfair to those who are worse off. At least we have eyes to see our faces. That should already be a blessing. Every morning when we wake up, we are given another day to live. That is also a blessing. Yet, a lot of people, including myself, are unsatisfied with our lives. I am ashamed of myself for that.
I have a friend who keeps wondering if “what we see is real”. Similar to the idea from The Matrix – what if the world we live in isn’t real? It is an interesting hypothesis. If we close our eyes, can’t we imagine this world to be as beautiful as we want it to be? It is naïve, but it is true.
… What if you were blind?
With the above in mind, I began to brainstorm ideas for The Sight of Autumn. I wish to share some thoughts through my characters. Hopefully you will enjoy reading story as much as I enjoyed writing it.
Why autumn? Reason number one; I have always related autumn to “the end”. Perhaps it is due to the falling of leaves. Death. Finale. Those are the things that come to my mind when I hear autumn. Reason number two; I simple like the season. I like the sight of autumn (no pun intended, or is it?). The orange leaves that spread across the floor. It is quite a sight.
I know many tough looking people who turn out to be nothing more than arrogant jerks. Conversely, a lot of people appear vulnerable, but their hearts are as pure as can be. So I began to ponder, what if there was a blind counsellor? What if she was small, frail, and looked like she could be toppled by the faintest gust? Does that make her a weak being? But what if she had, excuse the cliché, the heart of gold? Isn’t that the most important thing? I wondered if people agreed, and thus the blind counsellor was born.

Medium:

I love writing stories, but unfortunately, my imagination isn’t too great. Never have I been deeply moved by reading a novel. On the other hand, movies affect me much more easily. Why? Because the former is simply text, whereas the latter contains images and audio.
So, should The Sight of Autumn be a short film? I do not have the technical expertise needed to pull that off. My budget is a bit tight, too. Plus I have always loved anime. I wanted this story to have an anime element to it. Should The Sight of Autumn be a short animation then? Impossible. No way can I manage an animation on my own.
In the end, visual novel was my solution.
You guys probably have great imaginations, but I do not. Imagine an enchanting sight through the glass of a ferris wheel. I cannot handle that very well. However, if a I could see a drawing of it, or better yet, a simple animation, I can manage. Maybe it’s the result of living in a visual society. I cannot think. I need to see. If there is a soothing soundtrack playing in the background, I may even shed a tear.
And so I have decided; The Sight of Autumn will be a visual novel. Perhaps for my sake more than anyone else’s.

miriam
Regular

#30 Post by miriam »

Interesting thoughts. Thanks for the info. I'm one of those people who buys the DVD to watch all the "making of" featurettes. :)

By the way I think you are wrong... you do have a good imagination. The Sight of Autumn is proof of that. But it doesn't just prove that you can imagine it (which, in my opinion, is the easy part) -- it proves that you can actually do it. The doing is by far the tougher part (as I'm finding out with my first attempt).
My current, and first, RenPy story: A Loving Soul
script: 100% -- scenes: 100% -- character art: 20% -- programming: 20%
(spoilers in the story of the same name on my website)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

A life! Cool! Where can I download one of those from?