RIVER TRAP [released]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Grey
Veteran

#91 Post by Grey »

It's a .exe file, so it's its own program. Try running any other .exe file on your machine. If the same message comes up you've got a very nasty virus.

One time I had to reinstall Windows on one of my friends PC's because they got a virus that did exactly that.

Otherwise, I dunno. What OS are you using? How new is the computer?

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#92 Post by mikey »

... wrote:Well I wish that I could post something about the game but unfortenetly I can't seem to play it. My comp doesn't seem to know what program is needed to use it. Any help would be appreciated.

PS: I downloaded RT all at once with the one file option.
Wow, I',m sorry to hear that, so far there have been no complaints. I packed the split version personally and one of my friends offered to host the one-file version. Perhaps he packed it in some wrong way, I'll check it out this evening. Anyway, the split version should be okay. The structure of the game is as follows: it should install into the directory

RiverTrap (containing folders)
[music]
[data]
rtrap.exe
readme.htm

Or something like that. There is no "program" to open it, if you are referring to the ".mdb" files. You must use the rtrap.exe executable.

Make sure all the .mdb files are in the [data] subdirectory and that basically the folder layout is the same as I described. Then, it should work properly. As said, I will d/l and check it today if I can, and I'll keep you updated.

Also, there might be a problem if you extract it - best is to left-click on the rar file and select Extract To... and choose a folder, or extract it directly via WinRar. The split version is a self-installing exe, so that would unpack the files with the correct structure automatically.

Of course, Win9x/XP and TRUECOLOR mode is needed to run the game, but I'm sure you have that, so... good luck for now - if the above advice doesn't help, just describe the problem in more detail, like what you're clicking at etc. Thanks.

*EDIT*
Well, I downloaded the zipped one-file rar and everything seems to be working, so I can't quite pinpoint the cause - for starters try to re-extract it with the latest WinRAR (http://www.rarlab.com) and run the rtrap.exe file. Sorry about that :( Also, as Grey said, a virus might be a cause, so... try going that way as well.

#93 Post by ... »

Thanks for all the help. I'm probally just going to try and download it again. I just scanned my computer and it had no viruses so I guess I am just missing the WinRar. Oh well I will try again later on when I have the time.

John Tegan

rivertrap

#94 Post by John Tegan »

I loved the game, but its was a bit depressing grinn my girlfriend got really
in to it. She even cried at some point in the game. (snif snif, got me too)

There is one ehh complaint, the game doen't work correctly on a XP machine, you can play it but if you try to insert a password it kicks you back to windows.....
Luckely i have also a Win2000 prof machine ( abit slow but..) and there its works fine..

One more point I have all the letters and it still doenst let me in (grrr)
can you help me?

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#95 Post by mikey »

Sorry to hear about the XP (experimental) problem. Up to not very long ago I had Win98 and it worked fine in there.

Glad you guys liked it, I thought it wasn't going to be depressive (and I still believe that), but I guess everyone will have their own perception. The truth is that given the situation, no matter what would happen there wasn't a way to make everyone happy. Hmmm :(

And about the password - if you look through this topic there were some hints already given, basically you should get all (or most) of the beginning letters, perhaps make a numbered grid where one line will be the save numbers (I think there is 28 of them) and under each number the corresponding beginning letter and then...

Well, if you try to read it the "traditional" way, it makes no sense, right? So try to read it in a different way... (alright enough hints)

If you still have troubles, PM me and I'll tell you.

And thanks for playing, sorry to have strained your fingers so much, as this game doesn't yet support keyboard :(

Cazel
Regular

#96 Post by Cazel »

Hmmm... my machine is an XP, and I managed to play through the game without any major problems, though I think I did have the game crash once or twice(generally when I was trying to force my way through extended amounts of previously viewed text). I didn't really find the crashes too detrimental to playing RT, though in TT combined with the repetition of endings I did get tired of playing rather quickly.

John Tegan

#97 Post by John Tegan »

You missunderstand, I really liked the game (because of its darkness, at times)

But we missed a few endings from the game, why is there no ending with all three of the girls ( i know its difficult to explain were the third body would come from...)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#98 Post by mikey »

John Tegan wrote:But we missed a few endings from the game, why is there no ending with all three of the girls ( i know its difficult to explain were the third body would come from...)
Exactly. The problem is not really a missing body but a second soul. Which in fact has a "body" - the river.

Talk about spoilers here ^_^...

John Tegan

#99 Post by John Tegan »

Thanx for ya help

Nicely done, we liked the interview with the eherm characters...
although de missing video part is extremly short grinn

btw
we had a little vote last night and we think your the best game maker
we know...
(MNB:GF "I like the way you think")

I still think that Rivertrap is the best game you made....
MNB: Nope its "Milk Swim", dark and gloomy gives me the shivers hihihi

darkknight
Veteran

#100 Post by darkknight »

John Tegan wrote: btw
we had a little vote last night and we think your the best game maker
we know...
dude you should make a poll about that...many differing opinions...nvm i dont what arguments...
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#101 Post by mikey »

I don't know... if you look at the forums and the way people post, I don't think there's a competition (in an unfriendly sense). It's mostly support and help. And it also depends on people's personal preferences, what genres they like.

For me, the most important is that I say something with the games and am happy with them. There's many people who don't like contemplative games and favor fun RPGs.

So I think it would ultimately boil down to the fact that every game-maker put something special into his/her games and a lot of the experience comes from knowing how to appreciate that specific genre, type or mood of the game.

TheOnlyOneKunobi
Regular
Location: The Call is Coming From Inisde the House....... In England

#102 Post by TheOnlyOneKunobi »

This was one of the games I downloaded last week and......
SWEET CEASER'S FRENCH TOAST! Didn't anyone else have a moral dilemma playing this game?
My thinking first play:
"GAH! She's my SISTER! Soooo cuuuute! BAD THOUGHTS! (enter Akemi) GRR! Who's this girl! Don't like her! (three scenes later) I LOVE Akemi! She's so cool! (a while later) GAH! SHIZUKA YOUR SCARING ME! Sooo lovely..... So it's not really my sister? NO! INSECST IS GENETIC! IT'S WRONG! *sob* (during and after the flash backs) I LOVE AKEMI! She's soooo cool! Sorry creepy sister/soul-of-my-girlfriend-combo but I my ethics prevent me loving you!" Ending "Bike Ride" (can't remeber the number)
I always try to play first time In an honest fashion and to be honest the whole thing had me gripped and worried the whole way through on my first go. I really like river trap although I have to take breaks between plays, I didn't find the password save system really because I didn't write down where it save to (but I got the important letters) although I havn't done all endings yet.
I ususally don't do numeric reviews but in this case the number 82% sprang to mind. Well done!
"God and Buddah, if you really do exist please know ........................ YOU ARE BOTH MY ENEMY!"
- Excel Excel

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#103 Post by mikey »

I think one or two pages of posts before there was the discussion about the ethics of RT, incest and so on. It's fair to say that I had something of a moral dilemma whether to include an option like that at all - basically the team was against it. And this is how it turned out. See? Never work with me. :(

ChaoticAtomBomb

#104 Post by ChaoticAtomBomb »

mikey, it is this moral tug which was one of the reasons that RT is my favorite renai game so far...

sorry i sound incoherent...i have been stuggling with an external hard drive and it isvery late... :cry:

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#105 Post by mikey »

Thanks. We'll see what the summer brings. I would like to please RT/MS fans in the near future with something more contemplative than TT or K*. With RT I really had no idea when I released it if/how much acceptance it will get. It's the same now. Time will tell, I guess... :?