RIVER TRAP [released]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#106 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Great game. I really enjoyed it. I especially like the use of close-ups throughout the game. It inspired a feeling of closeness with the characters. It felt like I was really in the game, and these were real people, with real emotions. Very powerful IMO.
The narration was wonderful- all of the characters' soliloquies set the mood perfectly. It gave the characters depth, and it felt as though they were real.
My only problem is that I had a little trouble following the story sometimes. With so many flashbacks, and change of narrator, occaisonally I didn't know who was talking, and when they were saying it. But, in a way, this is also sort of an advantage- it means I'll have to replay the game if I want to better understand what was going on.
mikey wrote:It's fair to say that I had something of a moral dilemma whether to include an option like that at all - basically the team was against it.
And now, for the presumably unpopular statement, I am very glad you chose to include it. Ending 8 was the first ending I got, and I really liked it. I was sad to see Akemi go so abrubtly, but being with Shizuka made up for all that. I guess, in a way, I think Shizuka is Shigeko's first love- though that love may not be clearly defined. Anyway, I assume most people stayed away from the path I took, because of the commonplace taboo on incest. Well, I can very easily relate to that, because I don't believe in incest myself. So why did I choose the path that lead to ending number 8? It was all in the first scene. Shigeko was completely innocent. He kissed his sister, but he didn't know that was wrong. Even when his father told him it was wrong, he just couldn't understand why. He was completely ignorant of the taboo society has placed on such relations between siblings. Because of that, I felt free, and possibly compelled, to nurture the beautiful love that had already existed between the Shigeko and Shizuka. And I think the outcome was a very positive and happy one

#107 Post by Guest »

okay, first of all, awsome, awesome game. nothing else like it. personally, I'm for the shigeko/shizuka pairing, simply because it seems natural from the start. I'm not really a fan of incest, but you have to admit, there are few people who would know you better and be closer to you than your own sister.

second of all, could someone give me the superpassword inside a spoiler tag or something? I'm really a lazy little underling and I don't feel like taking every possible route. I hate to sound like a beggar, but I'm really impatient. Besides, the game's been out a year now.

Throw me a frickin' bone here. </dr. evil>

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#108 Post by mikey »

Thank you! Actually... *gulp*, in 2 days it will be River Trap anniversary ^_^

Hmmm, I'm a little hesitant to put the pw so clearly here... if you register, you can PM me, if you don't want to, just drop me a line , xiolinbaru@gmx.net , I'll send you the pw.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#109 Post by lordcloudx »

more random spamming huh? :twisted:
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

RandomGuyOffTheStreet

#110 Post by RandomGuyOffTheStreet »

Even after all the technical advances of the newer atp games, River Trap still remains one of my favorites. That being said, it would be quite awesome if it were "ported," as it were to use Ren'Py. Heck, I'd be willing to do it myself, except that I have no firm idea of how the decisions influence the path the game takes...

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#111 Post by mikey »

RandomGuyOffTheStreet wrote:Even after all the technical advances of the newer atp games, River Trap still remains one of my favorites. That being said, it would be quite awesome if it were "ported," as it were to use Ren'Py. Heck, I'd be willing to do it myself, except that I have no firm idea of how the decisions influence the path the game takes...
This is a difficult question for me. A remake of RT is technically possible - I have all the source material to do it. But, I'd probably want to make it worth a conversion, in effect probably redoing all the BGs, all the character graphics, probably making it in color (with a blue filter) and and and...

The good news is, I could do this almost entirely in-house and excellent news would be, I'd have it written, and know the scope/length of it, eliminating the main troubles that come with a new production. Moreover, RT is the game I'd be most inclined to remake, so the motivation would not be missing.

The bad news is, my estimate would be, it would take anywhere from 6-10 months, and that's the devtime of a O3-scale original project. The obvious question would be whether to add new content to make it worth it, or whether new graphics and the civilized environment of Ren'Py would be enough. The remake would probably eliminate the passwords and I'd also remove the extra section, it would look very different.

My biggest concern is as always the creativity. I'd like to translate some VNs, like denzil did, I'd like to help others, I'd like to make re-editions and also remakes - all of these are very tempting ideas. But, I've chosen not to focus on them, because all of these also take away a lot of time that can't be spent on original work. And that's my problem, I love making original work - in fact anyone who has ever done anything creative will probably know just how many ideas float around in your head and how small the percentage of the materialized ones is.

Well, officially I don't know what I want in the case of a possible RT Renewal project, but it's an excuse for me to unpack the old files and see what can/could be done.

An important thing would be - would we want the abovementioned Renewal, or a simple Ren'Py port? Ah, damn you, giving me this to think about, just before the weekend! :P

Majohn Groo

Re: RIVER TRAP [released]

#112 Post by Majohn Groo »

The first ending I got was Ending six. After I was done, I was partially happy and sad at the same time!

SilkSpider

#113 Post by SilkSpider »

FB link is dead...

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#114 Post by mikey »

Thank you for playing! :)
You can get the game on itchio: https://atpprojects.itch.io/rivertrap