Memoirs of an Angel (2010) [GxB] [Fantasy]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
broken_angel
Veteran
Completed: Memoirs of an Angel (2010)
Projects: Memoirs of an Angel (Remake); W.I.S.H

Memoirs of an Angel (2010) [GxB] [Fantasy]

#1 Post by broken_angel »

Fantasy Visual Novel - Freeware
Rating:
12+ for minor blood and violence

Enter Tyraca, a mythical land devastated by war.
As the nation's former princess, Zuleika, it's up to you to take back your throne from an evil tyrant,
restore peace and prosperity to your people, and find love with your "Prince Charming."

Game Features
  • 4 GxB Romances (including one with the villain himself)
  • 4 personality types, each with its own activities and mini-games
  • Customize your character with different outfit colors and accessories
  • Playtime: approximately 30-60 minutes, depending on the path

This game is basically a play-through story, but with several action periods where you can buy items, do activities to boost your stats, and have conversations with the other characters.

NOTE: This is the OLD Memoirs I made back in 2010. The still in-progress remake, which features a much improved storyline, better graphics, and an RPG-style battle system, can be found here.

:: Summary ::

After the death of the mighty Emperor Osirus, the nation of Tyraca is in chaos. Its former princess, an angel named Zuleika, is now faced with a choice: will she bend to the authority of the new emperor, Osirus' younger brother, Nefferon; or will she give up her title and leave her old life behind?

When a mysterious elven assassin shows up to take her life, she is forced to make a decision that will affect the fate of the kingdom. Regardless of what she chooses, the young angel's life will never be the same.

------------------------------

:: Screenshots ::

Image Image Image Image

:: Characters ::

Zuleika, "the Courageous" - (Former) Princess of Tyraca
The bright, strong-willed princess of Tyraca and Osirus' angel. She has a good heart and is very honest and straight-forward, but many of the other characters see this as naivete.

ImageImageImageImage
(in order from left to right)

Chael, "the Wise" - Prince of Nalan
An assassin from the elven nation of Nalan and Menorrhi's angel who was sent to kill the princess for unknown reasons. He is quiet and stoic, choosing to keep his emotions hidden from others.

Duren, "the Rogue" - Prince of Tyraca
Zuleika's long-time friend, Nefferon’s angel, and now prince of Tyraca, but he is anything but proud of his new position. He is generally polite and mild-mannered...except when he gets angry.

Kirile, "the Powerful" - "Prince" of Pyralis
He was once a proud general from the demon nation of Pyralis and Aukinora's angel, but took up thievery after being exiled. He loves women, booze, and having fun, but he has a sentimental side as well.

Nefferon, "the Cruel" - Emperor of Tyraca
The new emperor and a dangerous man who will do anything to get what he wants. He has a cool and collected demeanor, and can charm and manipulate his way into anyone’s heart. He seems particularly interested in Zuleika.

:: Downloads ::

Click Here for Download (~117MB)
Version 1.14 - Windows, Mac, and Linux

Silent Version for Slow Connections (~48MB) - not recommended
Version 1.14 - Windows, Mac, and Linux

Detailed Walkthrough
Version 1.3 (wrong Endings info corrected)

Statistics:

The game contains 4,341 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 45,944 words,
for an average of 10.6 words per screen.
The game contains 310 menus.

:: Credits ::

Character Sprites by Niecle @ DeviantArt
CGs by ehcs @ DeviantArt
Chibis by Moe-love-chu @ DeviantArt
Music by Kevin MacLeod
Backgrounds from various free resources

:: Author's Rant Notes ::

I was digging around the other day and found this gem: my very first Ren'py game, the original Memoirs of an Angel from back in 2010. I never released it as a "Completed Game" because, first of all, I never got all the CGs I wanted, and second, because I started working on the remake (which can be found here) almost immediately after I posted it in the WIP forum.

When I first started on the remake, several people asked if I would keep the original around, since it was pretty decent in its own right. I said I would...but then I didn't. It wasn't until months later that I realized that I had stupidly completely saved over the original. I thought it was lost forever! So, as you can imagine, I was really excited when I found an old version of it on my backup drive, and so I decided to dust if off and let it see the light of day again, this time as an officially "complete" work.

So much has changed since I first made this game. It used to be that I couldn't find English GxB dating sims anywhere, and the ones I could find were so vapid and stereotypical, I couldn't stand to play them. After stumbling upon visual novels like Heileen and RE: Alistair++, I thought, "I could do that. I could make a dating sim for girls that would actually be fun to play, and would have a heavy plot that wasn't just 'Oh, look, cute boys!'" Thus, I started making my own game. It started out as a series of journal posts on Gaia Online, but then I found the amazing Ren'py engine and my little project turned into something bigger and better than I could have dreamed.

But now, there are so many GxB games on this forum, people are complaining about it! So, perhaps now that the forum is saturated with GxB games, Memoirs will be looked over as "just another otome," but I hope that isn't the case since, at least in my opinion, Memoirs is so much more than that. Of course, I'm also not completely satisfied with it, or else I wouldn't be working on a remake.

Anyway, I do hope that you enjoy my first game, as outdated as it is now. It's always fun to go back and look at your older work to see how much you've improved, and this was no exception.

And, as always, if you come across any typos, bugs, or other issues, please let me know so I can fix them.
Last edited by broken_angel on Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 13 times in total.

thedarkdefender
Regular
Projects: TBTR
Organization: Clockwork Cafe

Re: Memoirs of an Angel (2010) [GxB] [Fantasy]

#2 Post by thedarkdefender »

Oooo~ Looks good!
*downloads*

Luminar
Regular

#3 Post by Luminar »

Seeing this topic made my day!! I totally would marry you if you were a boy but I assume you're a girl, no? So I'll just give you a hug glomp! *HUGS TIGHTLY* I'm gonna download this! Probably going to do a review for this soon, but after playing all the endings, of course!
'I would like to become the dark,
So that I may hide away and make everyone else shine.'

'You lose yourself trying to hold onto someone who doesn't care about losing you.'

I'm afraid that I'll be a book that no one reads,
Music that no one listens to anymore,
I'm afraid I'll be abandoned like a movie playing in an empty theater

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

I remember playing a version of Memoirs a while ago... though I don't recall any main character customization. What I do remember is that it had a distinct story, some gameplay, and quite a bit of plot.
broken_angel wrote:It used to be that I couldn't find English GxB dating sims anywhere...
Still true in many ways.
broken_angel wrote:...and the ones I could find were so vapid and stereotypical, I couldn't stand to play them. After stumbling upon visual novels like Heileen and RE: Alistair++, I thought, "I could do that. I could make a dating sim for girls that would actually be fun to play, and would have a heavy plot that wasn't just 'Oh, look, cute boys!'"
I recall that Lauren Faust has said some similar things. For instance, the TVTropes entry about her includes the quote "Cartoons for girls don't have to be a puddle of smooshy, cutesy-wootsy, goody-two-shoeness. Girls like stories with real conflict; girls are smart enough to understand complex plots; girls aren't as easily frightened as everyone seems to think."

broken_angel
Veteran

#5 Post by broken_angel »

thedarkdefender wrote:Oooo~ Looks good!
*downloads*
Yay! Let me know what you think. C:

Luminar wrote:Seeing this topic made my day!! I totally would marry you if you were a boy but I assume you're a girl, no? So I'll just give you a hug glomp! *HUGS TIGHTLY* I'm gonna download this! Probably going to do a review for this soon, but after playing all the endings, of course!
Haha, yes, I'm a girl. *hugs back* I hope you like it. C:

gekiganwing wrote:I remember playing a version of Memoirs a while ago... though I don't recall any main character customization. What I do remember is that it had a distinct story, some gameplay, and quite a bit of plot.
This is probably the same version, more or less. I only made a few tweaks here and there based on feedback since I first released it - added different outfit colors and the ability to wear accessories unlocked in past playthroughs, made the dancing game slightly more difficult (but not really, haha), made some changes to Duren's and Nefferon's sprites so that they look a little better (no more ugly yellow raincoat for Neffy), and probably a few more minor changes that I can't remember because, you know, it's been two years.

For this particular release, all I did was clean up the code so that it's more skip-friendly and the same text isn't repeated 10 times (conditional statements are our friends!). I also restored the music and sound effects to their original quality, since I had significantly lowered the quality of the files in order to make the file size smaller for previous releases.
gekiganwing wrote:I recall that Lauren Faust has said some similar things. For instance, the TVTropes entry about her includes the quote "Cartoons for girls don't have to be a puddle of smooshy, cutesy-wootsy, goody-two-shoeness. Girls like stories with real conflict; girls are smart enough to understand complex plots; girls aren't as easily frightened as everyone seems to think."
I agree with her full-heartedly! I think I tried every romance game for girls available on GameFly, and they were all pretty pink and flowers and had no substance whatsoever. It made me want to gag. Like, seriously, is that what game developers think all girls want? Surely not! Luckily, titles like Mass Effect and Dragon Age have since brightened my outlook on professional games a bit (even though they aren't really games for girls, they do have the option of playing as a girl and romancing characters of the opposite sex). I can only hope that more games follow the trend of having a female protagonist, yet still being plot-driven and interesting.

eumumii

#6 Post by eumumii »

OMG! YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW LONG I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU'RE SO AMAZING!

broken_angel
Veteran

#7 Post by broken_angel »

eumumii wrote:OMG! YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW LONG I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU'RE SO AMAZING!
Thanks, but I just want to reiterate that this is an OLD game that I made 2 years ago and never posted, not the fancy remake that most people have seen in the WIP forum.

DarkLady

#8 Post by DarkLady »

The game looks great! :)
but for some reason I can't download it... "

Error (509)
This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!"

broken_angel
Veteran

#9 Post by broken_angel »

DarkLady wrote:The game looks great! :)
but for some reason I can't download it... "

Error (509)
This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!"
Oh dang! Too many downloads... I was afraid that might happen, but I didn't expect it so soon! I'm not sure whether to be happy about that or not. :lol:

I'll upload them somewhere else and replace the links ASAP. Thanks for pointing that out.
EDIT: Links have been replaced. Not sure I like FileDropper, though... I may have to find somewhere else to host the files. We'll see.

Pandora
Regular

#10 Post by Pandora »

Hm, it seems the file isn't downloading properly for me. When I go to unzip it, it says "Unexpected end of archive". :c

I'm really looking forward to playing it, though! It looks great.

broken_angel
Veteran

#11 Post by broken_angel »

Pandora wrote:Hm, it seems the file isn't downloading properly for me. When I go to unzip it, it says "Unexpected end of archive". :c

Oh noes! D:

Well, FileDropper was having issues, so I've uploaded the files to Mediafire instead. Maybe it would help to re-download from the new link (I tried it and it works fine for me, at least). If that still doesn't work, may I ask what program you're using to unzip the file?

Pandora
Regular

#12 Post by Pandora »

broken_angel wrote:
Pandora wrote:Hm, it seems the file isn't downloading properly for me. When I go to unzip it, it says "Unexpected end of archive". :c

Oh noes! D:

Well, FileDropper was having issues, so I've uploaded the files to Mediafire instead. Maybe it would help to re-download from the new link (I tried it and it works fine for me, at least). If that still doesn't work, may I ask what program you're using to unzip the file?
Okay, it worked! c: I guess it was just FileDropper. Thank you!

Linniar

#13 Post by Linniar »

WOOOOO!!

ixWishing
Veteran

#14 Post by ixWishing »

Ahhhh!
I remember playing it a long time ago, LOL.
It was so cute & I loved the plot ;u;.
I especially loved when the hearts changed colors (like in Harvest Moon)!
Ima re-dl this and have a nice playthrough of it again (:
- Everlasting Dreams ;

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

#15 Post by distorsion »

IT'S HERE! *happy dances*
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!