Memoirs of an Angel (2010) [GxB] [Fantasy]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Message
Author
broken_angel
Veteran
Posts: 322
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:49 pm
Completed: Memoirs of an Angel (2010)
Projects: Memoirs of an Angel (Remake); W.I.S.H
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Memoirs of an Angel (2010) [GxB] [Fantasy] UPDATE

#46 Post by broken_angel » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:28 am

michi 18 wrote:when would there be a remake. Sorry ! Just too curious .
The thread for the remake can be found here.

It won't be done anytime soon, though, since most of my focus is on W.I.S.H (and graduation in December!) for now.

User avatar
destiny_921
Regular
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:24 am
Completed: Closure [KN]
Projects: The Universal Hope (writer, WIP)
Contact:

Re: Memoirs of an Angel (2010) [GxB] [Fantasy] UPDATE

#47 Post by destiny_921 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:33 pm

I finally got my lazy butt up to review.

Anyways.

Storyline - Intriguing. My first time seeing bits of RPG/Adventure elements in a VN - which I absolutely love (Insert Less Than Three) and adore. A pot of political intrigue - mixed with romance, adventure and endless possibilities of what could and can happen. It's totally down-to-earth and realistic, able to reflect reality in so many ways. Torn between duty and honour, responsibilities and standing up for what is right - you've outdone yourself~

Graphics - Tis' pretty lovely. I loved the CGs, by the way. The character sprites are well-done, though from what I've seen from your Memoirs remake that you've gone above and beyond this for that one - haha. But still, amazing ^^

Just one thing, though - the times when the cut-scenes came - the art didn't seem to really...fit. Zuleika looked like a child in a couple of them, something which made me go "Aww" but also like "Awkward" to me. So, yeah. Just my two cents.

Soundtracks/Music - Very fitting. The music for whichever place they went, whatever situations they were in - were blended into a nice, harmonious symphony. Simply put, very lovely :)

Dialogue/Gifts - IHEARTTHIS. You managed to avoid the usual cliché-ish and pretentious situations, and simply make your own way. I was quite amused when the option to toss a coin came up. Reminded me of the times where my brother/cousins/friends and I had to flip coins to decide whose turn it was to start off our round of Pokemon Trading Cards as well as how much damage our Pokemon dealt. :lol:

For the gifts, I was also amused by the flowers thing. I attempted to imagine Chael receiving flowers from Zuleika and I think my family thought I went mad, cause I was laughing so hard until my cheeks hurt. I'm so sorry, Chael xD

Characters (In no specific order. Used Spoiler Tag ^^;;)
Chael - Seeing an assassin with angel wings (like woah) appearing in the MC's (who I was playing as) room was not creepy at all. Nope. IWASNOTSCARED. Just. Uh. Confused and stuff. Yep. >.> I DENY ALL CLAIMS OF MY BEING SCARED.

Anyway, his personality was aloof and reclusive. Reminded me of Byakuya from Bleach (D'aw *ahem*) with a tad of...hmm.. Sasuke from Naruto. Byakuya's emotionless facade (but he's still good-looking >.>) and Sasuke's indifference. And yet, as you get to know him, he's gentle. And sweet. Like a guardian :D

Kirile - Definitely reminded me of Naruto. Friendly, occasionally loud (unlike Naruto who was always loud as a kid) and optimistic. But of course, he can be serious at times. Charming, engaging and friendly with a dash of seriousness. Though I have to admit, when the line of '...came across as innuendos' came in, I was like thinking "Ohgawd, that's so Kakashi..." And his eye-patch thing, I don't know what the heck why, but what came to my mind was: "Holy crap, that's a Kakashi/Jack Sparrow kinda winged angel!"

You combined two of my absolute favourite male chars ever. Plus, he has WINGS. My virtual self can die happy now.

Duren - D'aw, poor guy. Having to serve a king who's a sociopath and ascended after the brother's death - ouch. He's a prince, and yet he can't take over the throne because of You-Know-Who. His friendliness and protectiveness of Zuleika is charming to see. But, I do wish that more of his fierceness and confidence had been shown. His character development and personality together with the dialogue could have been more in-depth. Still, great job :)

Nefferon - ...Evil fella. But an evil mastermind who's cunning and able to plot various nefarious schemes, that I'll give him >.> Yet, there's so much more to him shown in the story. His ending made me wanna cry and at the same time rage at the PC. *cough* Immensely simple, yet complex...Nefferon is most definitely an enigma (*eyes suspiciously* Did you do it on purpose?) and a tough one to figure out. He's like a rubik's cube...with lots and lots of layers to be sorted out.
Overall Rating: 4.5/5

I've played the demo of your remake, and it far surpasses this one. Aim high, never give up, and keep going :) Remember that you have people who support you.

Sincerely and eagerly anticipating your works ^_^

Here's a gift ;) Tentatively titled, "Excerpt from Zuleika".

Torn between duty and honour
These complexities and situations
Leave my mind in a state of
Bewilderment and confusion

I lie against a wall of white
And gaze out the window, at the sky
As the remnants, the vestiges of light
Disintegrated into the dusk of night

I close my eyes, and my mind wanders
If I will be able to survive
The inevitable encounters
Which will leap into real life

Whether I will be able to
Find myself, and live on
It is unknown, as the future is
And always unpredictable

Only one will be left alive
The other has no choice but to die
And my heart whispers, with my mind
"Do you, will you, be able to fight?"
“Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try”
– Dr. Seuss

::Completed:: Closure (KN)
::WIPs:: The Universal Hope


::Misc::
Writing Guide

broken_angel
Veteran
Posts: 322
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:49 pm
Completed: Memoirs of an Angel (2010)
Projects: Memoirs of an Angel (Remake); W.I.S.H
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Memoirs of an Angel (2010) [GxB] [Fantasy] UPDATE

#48 Post by broken_angel » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:27 pm

destiny_921 wrote:I finally got my lazy butt up to review.
An amazing and in-depth review, too! Thank you so much!

destiny_921 wrote:Storyline - Intriguing. My first time seeing bits of RPG/Adventure elements in a VN - which I absolutely love (Insert Less Than Three) and adore. A pot of political intrigue - mixed with romance, adventure and endless possibilities of what could and can happen. It's totally down-to-earth and realistic, able to reflect reality in so many ways. Torn between duty and honour, responsibilities and standing up for what is right - you've outdone yourself~
I'm certainly not the first one to blend the genres, nor will I be the last, but I'm glad you liked it.

destiny_921 wrote:Graphics - Tis' pretty lovely. I loved the CGs, by the way. The character sprites are well-done, though from what I've seen from your Memoirs remake that you've gone above and beyond this for that one - haha. But still, amazing ^^

Just one thing, though - the times when the cut-scenes came - the art didn't seem to really...fit. Zuleika looked like a child in a couple of them, something which made me go "Aww" but also like "Awkward" to me. So, yeah. Just my two cents.
The sprites will be the same in the remake (with some additional stuff like customizable hairstyles and outfits, as well as additional outfits for the boys), but I took a different direction with the CGs for the remake precisely because of what you mentioned - they didn't fit. I chose the original CG artist based on lowest-cost, but I've since learned my lesson. xP She's not a bad artist by any means (though she's improved A LOT since then, as evident when you look at the commercial VN she's making now), but her style at the time just didn't match the more mature sprite art.

destiny_921 wrote:For the gifts, I was also amused by the flowers thing. I attempted to imagine Chael receiving flowers from Zuleika and I think my family thought I went mad, cause I was laughing so hard until my cheeks hurt. I'm so sorry, Chael xD
Hehe. I don't remember what his response in-game is, but I can imagine him first giving her a look like "What are you doing?", then looking around to make sure no one was there, and finally taking the flowers, secretly happy but determined not to show it.

destiny_921 wrote:
Chael - Seeing an assassin with angel wings (like woah) appearing in the MC's (who I was playing as) room was not creepy at all. Nope. IWASNOTSCARED. Just. Uh. Confused and stuff. Yep. >.> I DENY ALL CLAIMS OF MY BEING SCARED.

Anyway, his personality was aloof and reclusive. Reminded me of Byakuya from Bleach (D'aw *ahem*) with a tad of...hmm.. Sasuke from Naruto. Byakuya's emotionless facade (but he's still good-looking >.>) and Sasuke's indifference. And yet, as you get to know him, he's gentle. And sweet. Like a guardian :D

Kirile - Definitely reminded me of Naruto. Friendly, occasionally loud (unlike Naruto who was always loud as a kid) and optimistic. But of course, he can be serious at times. Charming, engaging and friendly with a dash of seriousness. Though I have to admit, when the line of '...came across as innuendos' came in, I was like thinking "Ohgawd, that's so Kakashi..." And his eye-patch thing, I don't know what the heck why, but what came to my mind was: "Holy crap, that's a Kakashi/Jack Sparrow kinda winged angel!"

You combined two of my absolute favourite male chars ever. Plus, he has WINGS. My virtual self can die happy now.

Duren - D'aw, poor guy. Having to serve a king who's a sociopath and ascended after the brother's death - ouch. He's a prince, and yet he can't take over the throne because of You-Know-Who. His friendliness and protectiveness of Zuleika is charming to see. But, I do wish that more of his fierceness and confidence had been shown. His character development and personality together with the dialogue could have been more in-depth. Still, great job :)

Nefferon - ...Evil fella. But an evil mastermind who's cunning and able to plot various nefarious schemes, that I'll give him >.> Yet, there's so much more to him shown in the story. His ending made me wanna cry and at the same time rage at the PC. *cough* Immensely simple, yet complex...Nefferon is most definitely an enigma (*eyes suspiciously* Did you do it on purpose?) and a tough one to figure out. He's like a rubik's cube...with lots and lots of layers to be sorted out.
It's as if you read my mind as to what I had hoped to portray with them. *o*
Chael is very much like the German Shepherd who seems mean and unapproachable at first, but once you've earned his loyalty, he's actually very sweet and will protect you with his life. My regret is that I didn't show how Zuleika earned his loyalty. At some point, I wrote an extra scene that tried to depict it, but I decided not to include it in the release.

Kirile's a Kakashi/Jack Sparrow hybrid, huh? Interesting image. :lol: I wish I'd shown more of the flirting he does with Zuleika; Chael's worries were well-founded, I assure you. xP And he's actually a lot smarter and more serious than he lets on, and out of all the characters, he probably goes through the greatest transformation...though most of that is off-screen because I was lame and didn't want to interrupt the flow. Again, an extra scene showed him at the tavern after Nefferon had issued his invitation to the ball, considering turning Chael and Zuleika in and getting the hell out of there before the fighting started, but realizing that although the old him would have done it already, the new him couldn't live with himself if he did. But again, I chose not to include it in the release.

As for Duren, I definitely plan to expand more on his "fierceness and confidence" in the remake, because here, he seems like rather a flat character, which is a shame. You only really get to see him interacting with Zuleika, which is not how he usually acts at all, so that's why you only get to see that one side of him. In the remake, where he's part of the traveling party, you'll get to see the stark contrast between how he acts around Zuleika and how he acts around others.

I definitely made Nefferon an emigma on purpose. ;D I mean, that's what he is. No one ever knows what he's thinking, not even those closest to him - and he manipulates and deceives his friends just as much as his enemies. His actions could be taken so many ways, and there's a lot more to them than I even go into.
destiny_921 wrote:Here's a gift ;) Tentatively titled, "Excerpt from Zuleika".

Torn between duty and honour
These complexities and situations
Leave my mind in a state of
Bewilderment and confusion

I lie against a wall of white
And gaze out the window, at the sky
As the remnants, the vestiges of light
Disintegrated into the dusk of night

I close my eyes, and my mind wanders
If I will be able to survive
The inevitable encounters
Which will leap into real life

Whether I will be able to
Find myself, and live on
It is unknown, as the future is
And always unpredictable

Only one will be left alive
The other has no choice but to die
And my heart whispers, with my mind
"Do you, will you, be able to fight?"
Beautiful~ :o Thank you so much!

User avatar
RainbowMusicAddict
Regular
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:37 am
Contact:

Re: Memoirs of an Angel (2010) [GxB] [Fantasy] UPDATE

#49 Post by RainbowMusicAddict » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:37 pm

I have to honestly say,
I almost never play these games where you go after a guy like Nefferon and it turn out the way it did.
I LOVED it. :D
Every route I really enjoyed except maybe Duren.
Not much of the best friend route xD
for me it usually seems unnatural?
Well the whole time Zuleika thought about him as a friend for the most part, never really anything more, and it was odd when out of no where she thought of him as more than one? I don't know maybe it's me and never really liking going after the friends xD
I really enjoyed this a lot!
Beautiful art as well :D
“Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings.” -Salvador Dali

broken_angel
Veteran
Posts: 322
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:49 pm
Completed: Memoirs of an Angel (2010)
Projects: Memoirs of an Angel (Remake); W.I.S.H
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Memoirs of an Angel (2010) [GxB] [Fantasy] UPDATE

#50 Post by broken_angel » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:04 am

RainbowMusicAddict wrote:I have to honestly say,
I almost never play these games where you go after a guy like Nefferon and it turn out the way it did.
I LOVED it. :D
Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. C:

RainbowMusicAddict wrote:Every route I really enjoyed except maybe Duren.
Not much of the best friend route xD
for me it usually seems unnatural?
Well the whole time Zuleika thought about him as a friend for the most part, never really anything more, and it was odd when out of no where she thought of him as more than one? I don't know maybe it's me and never really liking going after the friends xD
They never do become anything more. Well, Zuleika might have liked to take it further, but it was obvious that Duren never thought of her as anything other than a friend through to the end (there were even a couple subtle hints that he might be gay, haha). So, you're right, theirs isn't so much a "romantic ending" as a "friendship ending." Any romance between them (at least in this version of the game) would have been forced, which is why there really isn't any.

User avatar
PetPeeve
Regular
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:40 am
Tumblr: agamemakingblogforcoolkids
Contact:

Re: Memoirs of an Angel (2010) [GxB] [Fantasy] UPDATE

#51 Post by PetPeeve » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:53 pm

Played it and love it XD

Really felt their was depth and plan to play it again XD

User avatar
michi 18
Veteran
Posts: 487
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:11 pm
Completed: none at the moment's notice
Projects: The Universal Hope;Wisdom Revival
Organization: Pridal Heavens Inc.
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Re: Memoirs of an Angel (2010) [GxB] [Fantasy] UPDATE

#52 Post by michi 18 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:39 am

bronken_angel:You know , I hope there would be a romantic ending for Duren too and maybe a good romantic ending for Nefferon too.
Want to see much more cheesyness.
Projects: (I hope you'll support them ) Wisdom Revivalhttp://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 16&t=16488 and Universal Hope (Uni-H)http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=16452.

Joyius
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Memoirs of an Angel (2010) [GxB] [Fantasy] UPDATE

#53 Post by Joyius » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:38 pm

I think the walkthrough is a bit messed up.

There's also a major glitch in the game.
I was dancing with Duren at the ball, and I messed up on a step...he turned into Chael, and the game crashed.

broken_angel
Veteran
Posts: 322
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:49 pm
Completed: Memoirs of an Angel (2010)
Projects: Memoirs of an Angel (Remake); W.I.S.H
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Memoirs of an Angel (2010) [GxB] [Fantasy] UPDATE

#54 Post by broken_angel » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:25 pm

PetPeeve wrote:Played it and love it XD

Really felt their was depth and plan to play it again XD
Glad you liked it. C:

michi 18 wrote:bronken_angel:You know , I hope there would be a romantic ending for Duren too and maybe a good romantic ending for Nefferon too.
Want to see much more cheesyness.
In the remake, there will indeed be a romantic ending for Duren and a good(ish) ending for Nefferon, so you'll just have to hold out until then. ;)

Joyius wrote:I think the walkthrough is a bit messed up.
Could you explain specifically which part is messed up, please?

EDIT: I think I figured it out. The link was going to a weird online "view" mode, but the walkthrough is meant to be viewed in Notepad, so all the indents and whatnot were screwed up. I've fixed the link so it goes straight to the download page.

Joyius wrote:There's also a major glitch in the game.
I was dancing with Duren at the ball, and I messed up on a step...he turned into Chael, and the game crashed.
Uh oh! :shock: I'll check that out as soon as I'm done with classes for the day. Thanks for pointing it out.

User avatar
sayu_k
Regular
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:02 pm
Location: At home
Contact:

Re: Memoirs of an Angel (2010) [GxB] [Fantasy] UPDATE

#55 Post by sayu_k » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:51 pm

I fell in love with the game. I got kind of 5 or 6 endings.Then I got tired of playing. But I loved it all. Congrats for the game and everything~
Image


"All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream."
Edgar Allan Poe

catharmel
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Memoirs of an Angel (2010) [GxB] [Fantasy] UPDATE

#56 Post by catharmel » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:19 pm

Playing it now, and it looks amazing. The text box thingy looks a bit out of place, but the story feels amazing.

Also, ARE THOSE HEART COLORS BASED ON HARVEST MOON? <3 Such a cute touch!

broken_angel
Veteran
Posts: 322
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:49 pm
Completed: Memoirs of an Angel (2010)
Projects: Memoirs of an Angel (Remake); W.I.S.H
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Memoirs of an Angel (2010) [GxB] [Fantasy] UPDATE

#57 Post by broken_angel » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:45 pm

sayu_k wrote:I fell in love with the game. I got kind of 5 or 6 endings.Then I got tired of playing. But I loved it all. Congrats for the game and everything~
Thanks! I'm glad you liked it.
catharmel wrote:Playing it now, and it looks amazing. The text box thingy looks a bit out of place, but the story feels amazing.

Also, ARE THOSE HEART COLORS BASED ON HARVEST MOON? <3 Such a cute touch!
Would you mind elaborating on how the text box looks out of place? Is it because of the color, the style, or the crisp edges, etc.? I just want to know for future reference.

And yes, the heart colors are based on Harvest Moon. I'm a huge fan of the series (in fact, "A New Beginning" is currently consuming my life, haha) and they were my first exposure to dating sim-esque games, so I wanted to pay homage to them.

User avatar
janrrah18
Regular
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:46 am
Projects: My Sweet Revenge,(I can't think of a good title...><)
Organization: Valonia
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Re: Memoirs of an Angel (2010) [GxB] [Fantasy] UPDATE

#58 Post by janrrah18 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:06 am

wooaahh!!the sprites looks great!!
woaahh..117.343 mb!!!?? (i hope our old slow computer can handle this big memory when i download this..:( )
but still i want to play this!!!!! i'll be patient....

User avatar
trish_vc
Regular
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:52 am
Projects: SC; Lost Memories (on hold)
Deviantart: ash-chiori
Skype: aeisha33
Location: The land of FUN
Contact:

Re: Memoirs of an Angel (2010) [GxB] [Fantasy] UPDATE

#59 Post by trish_vc » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:29 am

cOOOOOOLLL
http://www.facebook.com/aeisha.valenzuelacorporal
Image I'm an Unappreciated- ARTIST, WRITER, EDITOR, DEBATER.. You can ask me to Proofread, Draw, and whatever.*

User avatar
Moon
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Memoirs of an Angel (2010) [GxB] [Fantasy] UPDATE

#60 Post by Moon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:26 pm

Just had to make an account to say I really liked this game! =D
Can't wait to see the remake.
It actually inspired me to try and make a visual novel myself, though chances of finishing it are.. slim. =P

Though I seem to have trouble unlocking the 7th CG, could you maybe give me a hint?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users