Heartstring Bugs [dating sim, otome] (Guide's up)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
victorita9
Regular

Re: Heartstring Bugs [dating sim, otome]

#31 Post by victorita9 »

This has to be the first game i played were the approximate time to finish the game is modest. The first play-through took way longer than 2 hours to finish the game!

In the third year there is the option to choose the future of your character(uni,college, or work). I tried for college but i never knew if my stats would get my character to go to college. And it never mentions it again. Does any of those choices affecting the ending at all?

VenusEclipse
Veteran
Completed: Princess of Ruin, Frozen Essence, Heartstring Bugs
Organization: Unbroken Hours
Tumblr: unbrokenhours
Deviantart: venus-eclipse

#32 Post by VenusEclipse »

I'll post a quick guide as soon as I finish it. I'm just swamped with answering the display problems right now, trying to get it so the people with the problems can play. There's more than I thought. Sorry for the wait.

@victoria
I added it in so you get a small variation of where you end up if you don't end up with anyone, or get any full endings.
How long did it take you for your play-throughs? I might increase the estimated play time.

For Chase's full ending, you need
To see his story cycle (his secret), and specific stats before the ending.
Academics: 300, Athletics: 175
@fae
You can raise your own impression for when Blaze asks you for a date, those emoticons will appear. You also can raise your own impression by wanting to go on a date and choosing expensive date spots, which means you want to impress him.

DangoRiceBalls
Regular
Completed: Take a Breath, Kami Cho, and that's it :P
Projects: Kuroi Tsubasa
Organization: Dango Productions

#33 Post by DangoRiceBalls »

YAY! *does a dance* THE OTOME GAME I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR. Your art got better too <3
Selling chewy, tasty, mochi for 1 penny each!

KimmyBlue

#34 Post by KimmyBlue »

I am really sad that I can't see the outfits :(
I tried everything you said and it's still not working for me..I even tried it on another laptop and i still can't see them

Cain0425
Miko-Class Veteran

#35 Post by Cain0425 »

are you going to make a Walkthrough for this game?

shanou20

#36 Post by shanou20 »

Hi !
I've downloaded your game and I think it's awesome!! Really^^
I've always liked the Tokimeki memorial series and this is like a christmas gift in advance for me!!
Too bad that I've got to study for my exams XD
I just have a little problem, when I go into a shop I see the clothes and the prices but I can't get out. Can you tell me what I can do ? I also have this problem with the people menu when I click on it, i see the menu and I get get out of it.
Someone can help me ?
Hey you!!! Do you want my picture??

Junko Mihari

#37 Post by Junko Mihari »

Hello! I'm rather new to these forums, and I've just shadowed it now and again to test out the games, but I really liked this game and decided that I wanted to join - just so I'd be able to comment.

I really enjoyed this game. It took me around... I'd say 10 hours(?) to complete just one playthrough, haha. This is going to be a fairly scatter-brained review of sorts, so it will probably be spoiler-heavy. Of course, all major spoilers will be put as such, but some minor ones may slip. Be warned? And again, sorry for how scatter-brained I am!

I had trouble with the graphics at first - the clothes not showing, 'n' all. But I did as you said and was able to fix the problem. From thereon, the game was incredibly enjoyable.

The story really drew me in, and I loved all of the different ways to interact with people, getting their numbers, the things you can do at Tamera's. I loved all the little events that would happen sporadically, based on story, stats, or relationships. I thought everything was incredibly interactive and well done. There were a few times that they seemed out of order, or seemed to fail to notice something, however. For example:

Elly and Dimitri started dating sometime in... November? of Sophomore year in my game. At the beginning of their relationship, she mentions "what about your previous girlfriend?" and he replies that it's over and not to worry about it. Cue the news about Natasha from Tamera and Naomi, and Elly acts incredibly surprised, as if she hadn't known Dimitri had a girlfriend before.

Another one is when Natasha does return, and Elly realizes that they had dated seriously. She comments on how she [Elly] and Dimitri don't really have a history, when in my game, they've been dating for roughly two years. I thought that was a little strange...

A few random events had them as well, such as

Tamera's double dates. Earlier in the game, Naomi had dragged Elly on one with Huang and Dimitri, because Tamera bailed at the last minute. Dimitri explains here why he's a part of it. Later, she catches them setting up a double date, and gets surprised. Dimitri freaks a little because he finally acknowledges their dating status and tries to explain to her what's going on. She reacts with surprise, even though in a previous event she'd actually been a PART of it.

Another thing I noticed is that there are very few times where anyone would acknowledge the fact that they were dating. The acknowledgement only really came in senior year. It felt a little weird that Tamera would constantly be trying to "Get you in on the action" when she knew full well your boyfriend was in the same room. However, none of these really took away from my enjoyment.

I think the characters were well written, and they acted like believable teenagers. You know, bar all the moments where suspension of belief was required, and... A fair portion of Blaze's character. Though really, he's actually pretty eccentric, and he /did/ ... you know. So I believe him to be fair. While playing through Dimitri's route, I was actually pleasantly surprised and impressed with how it was handled.

The fact that he acknowledged how he had been acting, how he'd probably hurt them both, and how he is actually sincerely apologetic was very impressive. He didn't expect forgiveness, and once it was given, Elly showed skepticism. She forgave him, but acknowledged and stated her fear that he might do it again. I thought that was fantastic, and it was everything I ever wanted to see in a game. They acknowledge the problems, but are willing to forgive each other and give it another shot, and I just thought it was more romantic than her taking him back all willy-nilly, or him acting like he'd done nothing wrong. It was also much more believable and just - I'm pretty sure that was my favourite part of his route besides the ending.

Now combining a few things, and I do apologize for how scattered my opinion is - I'm fairly excited and incredibly nervous as I write this, I loved the fact that you could turn them into a big group of friends. I was never able to make friends with Chase, but I was close to every other character, and I loved Elly helping them with their own problems, and especially helping
Alice and Tamera get along. I loved that their relationship was addressed, as Tamera was always openly hostile regarding Alice.
I also loved how Lucas eventually joined them, and I feel that if I had managed to make friends with Chase, he might have gotten dragged along!

I, think that's most of it out of the way. As I said, I enjoyed myself thoroughly with this game - my only real issue, which is barely an issue at all, is the art. It's not superb, but it's not horrible. By now, I am rather used to it, and even like it. My main issue with it is due to anatomical mistakes, but that's just because I will eventually be an art major and it sort of stands out to me more.

One thing I would have liked to see are dual endings - though I'll be the first to say that the fact that you included friendship endings nearly had me bursting in joy. Still, I'd have liked to see endings where you have good friends AND a boyfriend/etc. But this is a more of "in the future, I think this might be fun to see" thing.

Really, this is one of those games where I'd GLADLY replay it all again, just to get the same exact route. One where I'll actually keep it on my computer as opposed to uninstalling it now that it's done. That's how much I liked it and the characters. You've done a marvelous job with this game. ^u^
Last edited by Junko Mihari on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

okiness
Regular
Projects: Puella Nomen Invenio
Organization: ONP

#38 Post by okiness »

THREE YEARS?

Holy moly. I'm only on year one! I had no idea because I had already gotten Dimitri to date me in year one.

Looks like I'm going to have the same issue I have with TokiMeki Memorial (incidentally, I can see you borrowed from it, and you did an excellent job). I will only go for like 2 guys and then get bored because I hate the week by week system. I've got a game going with Dimitri- guess I better buckle down haha!

Lmao, I'm glad I prepared and went to all the classes. HIMURO SENSEI ARIGATOU /weebsitup.

Wait....wait..

WAIT A SECOND

THERE ARE NO BOMBS

I LOVE YOU, I DONT HAVE TO DO BOMBS

Now just make a hot teacher charac- shot

yet another edit

BAHAHAHA, the cosplay outfits are from frozen essence!! xD

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#39 Post by FatUnicornGames »

okiness wrote: Now just make a hot teacher charac- shot
^^ This.

But seriously, great game! Your art has really improved and the sheer scope of this game is really impressive (especially for a free release).
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#40 Post by FatUnicornGames »

The clothing system isn't quite working for me. Chase always thinks I am in dirty clothes, but I switch around every other week. Do I have to do it more than that?
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

Vynuxys
Regular

#41 Post by Vynuxys »

Am I literally the only idiot who can't figure out how to download this? XD I can't find the button anywhere. What am I doing wrong.

-feels stupid-

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#42 Post by KittyKatStar »

Vynuxys wrote:Am I literally the only idiot who can't figure out how to download this? XD I can't find the button anywhere. What am I doing wrong.

-feels stupid-
Once you click this: http://www.unbrokenhours.com/projects/h ... nload.html

It's the buttons in the bottom right corner: Windows, Mac, Linux.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-12-06 at 1.27.57 PM.png

AshenhartKrie
Veteran
Tumblr: ashenhartkrie

#43 Post by AshenhartKrie »

Wow. This is one of the few dating sims I enjoy.
I'm a little sad that Vi doesn't seem to have much of a part. I'm almost at the end of year 2, and I'm dating Dimitri (WHY DOGS, WHY?).
It feels (at the moment) to me like Vi and the h@x was just thrown in to make it interesting. But since I haven't finished my first playthrough yet, so I can't really ssay much else as of yet.
Good work though!

tired. grumpy. queer
*uses he/him pronouns*

okiness
Regular
Projects: Puella Nomen Invenio
Organization: ONP

#44 Post by okiness »

FatUnicornGames wrote:The clothing system isn't quite working for me. Chase always thinks I am in dirty clothes, but I switch around every other week. Do I have to do it more than that?
I'd say try what I do, don't wear any of the same articles of clothing at all in the same month. Usually works for me.

On that note, I have to say Frozen Essence is still my favorite. I think your next game should be commercial. This is A LOT of content for free. . . I feel like I should be giving you money

fae_of_the_rose

#45 Post by fae_of_the_rose »

A funny graphical error I ran into: occasionally, I'll click skip for the flavor dialogue that's the same no matter what and hit title by accident. I click no to go back to the game, and my stats info when I work or exercise or relax or anything disappears. I have to reload from a previous save to get it back.