The Loop [thriller/puzzle]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Message
Author
User avatar
Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:15 am
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions
Location: Cantankerous Castle
Contact:

Re: The Loop [thriller/puzzle]

#61 Post by Greeny » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:01 am

tiya_nofurita wrote:Is it intentional or you did you forget to delete the .rpy files ?
You're supposed to delete them? I don't really think I expected anyone to go poking around in there.
tiya_nofurita wrote: Oh yeah, by the way...
Tough coding man...Do you have any background on programming ? I'm impressed
I was bitten by a radioactive if statement when I was a child.
I have to say, if you're going to have a doom timer, you should have it trigger a flag and have points in the game where the flag is checked. this is especially true if the timer triggers an event that is seemingly identical to other parts of the game.

the reason I say this is cause I did in fact manage to get the main character to wake up twice consecutively without finishing the part about waking up. seriously wtf.
...What? Like, what? That which you say occurred, is impossible, therefore cannot have occurred.
I think this game may have taken a toll on your sanity.
btw, suspense remix of pop goes the weasel is ingenious.
I know, right?! Unfortunately, the great Kevin Macleod takes all the credit for that.
the only thing is that I'm seriously not sure if I've beaten it.
How you do know that you're not secretly... STILL PLAYING?!!!!


Anyways, if you even remotely liked The Loop, I think you'll love the now officially announced sequel, The Madness.
Where The Loop was difficult, The Madness will boggle your mind like never before...
Where The Loop was crazy, The Madness will leave you with a psychological breakdown...
Where The Loop was scary... Once you've played The Madness, you'll never sleep again.

A WIP post will be made once development approaches beta testing stage, so stay tuned!
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter
Image

User avatar
tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 631
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:23 pm
Completed: Tour de Pharmacy, Tour de Paseban
Projects: ALLBLACK Phase 1
Organization: VN Project Indonesia
Deviantart: SECONDARY-TARGET
itch: NSAID
Location: In my dream
Contact:

Re: The Loop [thriller/puzzle]

#62 Post by tiya_nofurita » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:58 am

Greeny wrote: You're supposed to delete them? I don't really think I expected anyone to go poking around in there.
Hey, even I have zero knowledge of programming, at least I know how to proceed by looking through your codes... (it's still confusing, but somehow I managed to understand "Oh, I know how to unlock this !").
Deleting your .rpy files is a good idea if you don't want the players to cheat on it then sue me !, but it's up to you.
Greeny wrote: I was bitten by a radioactive if statement when I was a child.
Wooooow. I know you're younger than me so I'm very very impressed by your ability to write that damn syntax.
Congrats then. I have to admit, I'm bad on algorithm.
Greeny wrote: Anyways, if you even remotely liked The Loop, I think you'll love the now officially announced sequel, The Madness.
Where The Loop was difficult, The Madness will boggle your mind like never before...
Where The Loop was crazy, The Madness will leave you with a psychological breakdown...
Where The Loop was scary... Once you've played The Madness, you'll never sleep again.
I'm eagerly waiting for this !
Ongoing project :

"For what reason I live?"
Image


"What will you see when you are dead?"

Image

ALLBLACK Phase 1 -Q4 2020-

User avatar
KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 636
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 8:15 pm
Projects: Castle of Arhannia
Contact:

Re: The Loop [thriller/puzzle]

#63 Post by KimiYoriBaka » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:44 pm

...What? Like, what? That which you say occurred, is impossible, therefore cannot have occurred.
I think this game may have taken a toll on your sanity.
really? well, then let me ask, now that I've played some more and seen more bizarre things occur. Was the "time's up" thing supposed to continue happening all the way through the game? I had to cheat my way into the hotel so that it would stop telling me the mc suddenly fainted in the middle of room 409. also, is the part of the game with the mc finding the "key" in the apartment supposed to become unsolvable if the "time's up" event occurs?

oh, and while I'm commenting, I'll also ask, is there an actual indication somewhere in the game of the correct path through the train on demented mode? cause from what I could tell, there was no way to solve that besides either extreme luck or looking at the code (which is what I did).

User avatar
Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:15 am
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions
Location: Cantankerous Castle
Contact:

Re: The Loop [thriller/puzzle]

#64 Post by Greeny » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:25 pm

KimiYoriBaka wrote:
...What? Like, what? That which you say occurred, is impossible, therefore cannot have occurred.
I think this game may have taken a toll on your sanity.
really? well, then let me ask, now that I've played some more and seen more bizarre things occur. Was the "time's up" thing supposed to continue happening all the way through the game? I had to cheat my way into the hotel so that it would stop telling me the mc suddenly fainted in the middle of room 409. also, is the part of the game with the mc finding the "key" in the apartment supposed to become unsolvable if the "time's up" event occurs?
No, it's definitely a bug... One that I've been trying to fix for a long time, and just can't seem to get rid of...
oh, and while I'm commenting, I'll also ask, is there an actual indication somewhere in the game of the correct path through the train on demented mode? cause from what I could tell, there was no way to solve that besides either extreme luck or looking at the code (which is what I did).
The idea was that the player would have to start mapping the routes to figure out what's where.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter
Image

User avatar
tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 631
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:23 pm
Completed: Tour de Pharmacy, Tour de Paseban
Projects: ALLBLACK Phase 1
Organization: VN Project Indonesia
Deviantart: SECONDARY-TARGET
itch: NSAID
Location: In my dream
Contact:

Re: The Loop [thriller/puzzle]

#65 Post by tiya_nofurita » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:40 am

Greeny wrote: No, it's definitely a bug... One that I've been trying to fix for a long time, and just can't seem to get rid of...
Hmmm...I thought it was intentional. I have a hard time on this part too so I tried to cheat. It's seems funny when the MC went unconscious in the middle of conversation...
so I just press the Tab button to skip the text I've already seen. I hate it when the clown suddenly said "TIME'S UP"
Ongoing project :

"For what reason I live?"
Image


"What will you see when you are dead?"

Image

ALLBLACK Phase 1 -Q4 2020-

User avatar
Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:15 am
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions
Location: Cantankerous Castle
Contact:

Re: The Loop [thriller/puzzle]

#66 Post by Greeny » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:18 am

Most recently, I tried to fix issues with the timers and issued a re-release. I suspect this new bug may have been created in the process. Are there any more details you can give me? Anything you can tell me could help me track down and fix this. (When did this start happening, which timeout even occurred, at what intervals did it happen, etc)
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter
Image

User avatar
tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 631
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:23 pm
Completed: Tour de Pharmacy, Tour de Paseban
Projects: ALLBLACK Phase 1
Organization: VN Project Indonesia
Deviantart: SECONDARY-TARGET
itch: NSAID
Location: In my dream
Contact:

Re: The Loop [thriller/puzzle]

#67 Post by tiya_nofurita » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:07 pm

Greeny wrote:Most recently, I tried to fix issues with the timers and issued a re-release. I suspect this new bug may have been created in the process. Are there any more details you can give me? Anything you can tell me could help me track down and fix this. (When did this start happening, which timeout even occurred, at what intervals did it happen, etc)
Let's see...I'm not going to promise you anything since I've been pretty busy now (which means I can't spare too much to playing any games and give in-depth review) but I'll see what I can do.
Ongoing project :

"For what reason I live?"
Image


"What will you see when you are dead?"

Image

ALLBLACK Phase 1 -Q4 2020-

User avatar
KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 636
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 8:15 pm
Projects: Castle of Arhannia
Contact:

Re: The Loop [thriller/puzzle]

#68 Post by KimiYoriBaka » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:53 pm

Most recently, I tried to fix issues with the timers and issued a re-release. I suspect this new bug may have been created in the process. Are there any more details you can give me? Anything you can tell me could help me track down and fix this. (When did this start happening, which timeout even occurred, at what intervals did it happen, etc)
I took a look at fight.rpy and script.rpy. I can see where you started the timer, as well where you showed the display for the timer and where you hid the display for the timer. In fact, I see two places where you defined countdown() as starting the timer. I can't, however, find any part where you actually stopped the timer.

I don't know if I have the most recent release (been out of it recently), but did you put in

Code: Select all

hide screen fight_countdown
, or if not, did you take out

Code: Select all

show screen fight_countdown
? cause if you still use fight_countdown, but don't hide it later, it will cause it keep counting down as long as the player is still in the same session. In that case, the only place it would most likely show up would be in room 409 cause that's the least likely spot for a player to keep going without saving or loading (which would reset the timer).
The idea was that the player would have to start mapping the routes to figure out what's where.
that works as long as you don't use infinite loops and as long as the you don't put an obstacle in the only apparent route. the way you set up demented mode makes it seem like the player is supposed to find a way to kill the clown again.

as an alternative in your future work, I would suggest making indications of the proper route, but making them excruciatingly difficult to decipher. That way, you still get the sadistic difficulty, but in a way that's a bit more fair to the player.

oh, and one last thing, please try not to put so much dialogue in the parts with a timer. It feels unfair to people with a slower reading speed.

User avatar
Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:15 am
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions
Location: Cantankerous Castle
Contact:

Re: The Loop [thriller/puzzle]

#69 Post by Greeny » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:32 pm

Actually, with all the trouble the timers gave me, I won't be putting any timers in my future puzzle games.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter
Image

User avatar
Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:15 am
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions
Location: Cantankerous Castle
Contact:

Re: The Loop [thriller/puzzle]

#70 Post by Greeny » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:26 pm

Oh man, you were right! I can't believe I missed that completely... ARGHH!
I've replaced the file with an updated version. I hope this will be the last bugfix I have to do.

Because quite frankly, The Loop is a terrible puzzle game...

...compared to what I'm up to! (dun dun dunnnn)
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter
Image

User avatar
Rinrinnya
Regular
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:05 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: The Loop [thriller/puzzle]

#71 Post by Rinrinnya » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:06 pm

I've been playing this. And it has been amazing. You have officially gained a new fangirl.
Can't wait for The Madness O3O
So I've gotten almost all the way to the very end and I must ask...
Is there no good ending or is the only ending other than killing yourself the one where the character turns around and his face is a clown face? q=q I wanted to rescue him...
Haven't made any development blogs yet, so to keep this colorful, here's my Puricute account! <3333 (That I sadly can't update very often... T^T)

User avatar
Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:15 am
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions
Location: Cantankerous Castle
Contact:

Re: The Loop [thriller/puzzle]

#72 Post by Greeny » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:21 am

There are no good or bad endings because... it never ends!!!
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter
Image

User avatar
Sabotage
Regular
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:50 am
Projects: Cupcake! [WIP-40%] :: Riddled [Idea-0%]
Contact:

Re: The Loop [thriller/puzzle]

#73 Post by Sabotage » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:47 pm

Thank you for this cool game, sir! I'm proud enough to say I beat "Crazy" mode without cheating (yes, I know it's the easy mode.. so what? That was friggin hard, okay? I kept breaking down the choices to whether the donut or the chips would affect the story. I even researched pizza marghareta if it was important D: Up until the later parts, I kept on over-thinking everything that I mapped out each and every choice. Ugh anal.) On to demented!

That being said.. Darn. What an awesome game, and what a great concept. I could only hope to make something as enjoyable as this someday! Those random images you threw it from time to time made me jump in my seat haha! Thanks for those two sleepless nights well spent, sir. Have to say, I'll look forward to your next game like a puppy on wheels!

thisisausername
Regular
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:03 pm
Contact:

Re: The Loop [thriller/puzzle]

#74 Post by thisisausername » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:10 pm

im stuck on the train D: i just read the guide but i still dont understand T_T
"Whatcha gonna do? Cut yourself?" from the guide is this suppose to mean to use that razor? the razor didnt really do much tho :S

User avatar
tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 631
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:23 pm
Completed: Tour de Pharmacy, Tour de Paseban
Projects: ALLBLACK Phase 1
Organization: VN Project Indonesia
Deviantart: SECONDARY-TARGET
itch: NSAID
Location: In my dream
Contact:

Re: The Loop [thriller/puzzle]

#75 Post by tiya_nofurita » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:37 pm

thisisausername wrote:im stuck on the train D: i just read the guide but i still dont understand T_T
"Whatcha gonna do? Cut yourself?" from the guide is this suppose to mean to use that razor? the razor didnt really do much tho :S
There is walkthrough somewhere on his blog, but it depends on the difficulty you're in, though
or you can just look at .rpy files for smart cheating :p
Ongoing project :

"For what reason I live?"
Image


"What will you see when you are dead?"

Image

ALLBLACK Phase 1 -Q4 2020-

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Grinsekatze